Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on February 22, 2012, 10:16:15 PM
* Hatbot --> "Merc rolls d20+24+3 GI+CK for buyers for greensteel with better exchange rates that aren't devils. and gets 37." [d20=10]

Where are you GIing for this, Ithea? I asked you and you didn't specify. I need to know that before I can answer.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on February 22, 2012, 11:17:19 PMAlso, Dune, I traded a fair bit of my bluff skill (lowered from 19 to 10) for diplomacy, as I seem to roll more often for diplomacy than bluff. Is this fine?

That's fine. I had to do the same thing for Tannin - simply forgot to train up one of his skills for Spellfilch. Dur.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on February 23, 2012, 01:28:25 AM
Quote from: Yuthirin on February 22, 2012, 09:06:10 PM
[18:57] <Muirfinn> Ko, is there some sort of artifact I can attach to my elemental that would allow me to summon it across planes?
[18:57] <Muirfinn> Or at least across the same plane?

I don't see one offhand. If you wanna dig for such, by all means. Assuming you don't find one, I'd just price it as a teleport magic item? That's in the 90k region, around 40k after Afina.  If you can find something cheaper that does it that's printed, by all means. I can't offhand, but I'm also buried in work. If you want a custom one like that, let me know and I'll write it out.

I'll take it! A specialized plane shift/teleport without error item? Feel free to work it up at your leisure. It'll probably be prohibitively expensive.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Merc

I misread the question last time, sorry. And I guess Marambor since I'm there already and haven't had a chance to try elsewhere. I'll probably try to search for the sea dragon group or ask Tannin to check into that if nothing pans out from an immediate first check.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 23, 2012, 12:57:11 AM
Spell review requests!

Nature's Avatar in the Spell Compendium. This is cool, but only if I can apply it to my elemental. If not, scrub it.

It can't on your companion since it is an elemental, not an animal.

QuoteSummon Elemental Monolith in the Spell Compendium. I want this for every reason you would think.

That's fine. Make sure you have the stat block handy and are familiar with it.

QuoteTsunami in the Spell Compendium. I'm aware that it's atrociously expensive to cast. It'd be cool as a water-elemental thing though, and I could farm for the materials myself!

That's fine. Expensive but fine.

QuoteTransmute Rock to Lava

That's fine.

QuoteRed Tide

That's fine.

QuoteDeadfall

That's fine.

QuoteUnyielding Roots

That's fine. I'd rule the spell's healing aspect wouldn't work on a negative dominate plane, as there's no life energy to draw from the ground. Fair warning if you go to one.

QuoteWaterspout

That's fine.

QuoteSlime Wave

Mmm. No, that feels a little too good at what it does for the level.

QuoteAura of Vitality

Mmmm.

I'm borderline on this. We'll try it, and if it turns out that it's screwing things up I'll ban it and you can choose another spell.

QuoteUndermaster

I was going to say no, but with a 5 round duration and the other limitations it's okay.

QuoteGlacier

That's fine.

QuoteCometstrike

That's fine.

QuoteFlashflood

Okay.

QuoteBombardment

Updated and changed in the SC. SC version is fine.

QuoteCocoon

Ditto with the SC. Anyway, it's essentially irrelevant since resurrections don't take con or other drawbacks in this game. There's no point to the spell, so no.

QuoteGreater Whirlwind

That's fine. Updated/reprinted in the SC.

QuoteBleed

Bleed is fine.

QuoteBear's Heart

No. It's a better Mass Bull's Strength two levels earlier, and with a heap of temp HP tossed on. Granted Mass stat boosters aren't great by the time you get them, but the other to factors consign it to the ban bin.

QuoteThunderswarm

Eeeeh. It's a tweaked meteor swarm, but meteor swarm isn't any great shakes. Okay.

QuoteRain of Black Tulips, Unearthly Beauty, & Touch of Adamantine

Yes, no and yes respectively. Rain is fine, as is Touch of Adamantine. No to Unearthly Beauty as it's instant death.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on February 23, 2012, 01:43:39 AM
I misread the question last time, sorry. And I guess Marambor since I'm there already and haven't had a chance to try elsewhere. I'll probably try to search for the sea dragon group or ask Tannin to check into that if nothing pans out from an immediate first check.

No useful information. Most of the non-catfolk residents of Marambor aren't terribly knowledgeable about the planes beyond Earth, being elementals or xorn.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

So. House Rules have Wizard's Grace.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Wizard's Grace
Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 10
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 14 days
Range: Touch
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No.

This spell permanently increases the target's age categories by 100 years. For example, a human is middle aged at 135 years, old at 153 years, and venerable at 170 years. This spell can benefit a single creature only once, multiple castings have no effect.

Material Component

An apple from the Tree of Idun, a potion of youth or other magical item that permanently reduces the age of a creature by at least 1 year. Herbs, unguents, incense and offerings worth at least 100,000 GP are also required.

I find it realistic for Kascha to know this spell, and Tepen might as well (even if my own spellcraft/knowledge: arcana can't learn of it). Since I really do want to help our gith sage pal, how about suggesting it to him? We currently have over 100k in our Aurora funds, and while I believe a dimensional lock on the courtyard is key, helping a friend is more important. It's an epic spell, but it's not like we absolutely can't get it if we try (via Brightwater or Cauldron or by going to the Mercane/GIing for merchants who might have it).

Naturally, this relies on a potion of youth or other items that qualify here being more readily accessible than the Tree of Idun. Assuming this gets no PC objections, what skill would be relevant to determining our options and going this route, Dune? And yes, I'm aware it might not save the guy outright, but if it brings him halfway over that's already worthwhile.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Levelup questions.

Wings ACF. I asked you to use this list before to grab a domain for Favored Soul, and you said I could go with it if I wanted to. Would it be possible to take Protection Domain and convert it to Protection Devotion? Since I need to grab domains that belong to Ang-chan and not the Seldarine as a whole here, judging by the intent, I don't really have any new domains I really want to take from her. But freeing up a feat slot to qualify for stuff easier is always welcome, and I haven't gone past my devotion feat limit yet.

Divine Bulwark from Ordained Champion. Since the class is no longer Law-oriented, are we still keeping this DR/Chaotic power as is? I don't really mind since it makes it harder for devils to get me, but I want it to be legit, if so.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 23, 2012, 09:24:57 AMI find it realistic for Kascha to know this spell, and Tepen might as well (even if my own spellcraft/knowledge: arcana can't learn of it).

Know it? Of course not. They can't even cast it yet ,so they can't know it. Know -of- it? It's possible. Kascha probably would at the very least due to her insane K:A score.

QuoteNaturally, this relies on a potion of youth or other items that qualify here being more readily accessible than the Tree of Idun. Assuming this gets no PC objections, what skill would be relevant to determining our options and going this route, Dune? And yes, I'm aware it might not save the guy outright, but if it brings him halfway over that's already worthwhile.

Assuming someone knows of it, gathering information or K:A or otherwise looking into it.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on February 23, 2012, 09:41:06 AM
Levelup questions.

Wings ACF. I asked you to use this list before to grab a domain for Favored Soul, and you said I could go with it if I wanted to. Would it be possible to take Protection Domain and convert it to Protection Devotion? Since I need to grab domains that belong to Ang-chan and not the Seldarine as a whole here, judging by the intent, I don't really have any new domains I really want to take from her. But freeing up a feat slot to qualify for stuff easier is always welcome, and I haven't gone past my devotion feat limit yet.

Divine Bulwark from Ordained Champion. Since the class is no longer Law-oriented, are we still keeping this DR/Chaotic power as is? I don't really mind since it makes it harder for devils to get me, but I want it to be legit, if so.

1. Yeah sure, whatever.

2. I'd just change it to needing /axiomatic or lawful to bypass your DR. Jaela putting up DR/chaotic simply doesn't make sense. That's like a fiend needing DR/evil to bypass its damage reduction.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Yeah, know of it, naturally. I figure if people are willing to try this, we can try looking for a scroll or look into hiring a caster+find the material component. So what do you think, guys? Our Mercane friend might be able to point us in the right direction, and even if not the Infinite Stairway/Brightwater/Dweomerheart might give us a good lead. Assuming Kascha just doesn't point us towards the Cauldron to begin with or something.

2. I'd just change it to needing /axiomatic or lawful to bypass your DR. Jaela putting up DR/chaotic simply doesn't make sense. That's like a fiend needing DR/evil to bypass its damage reduction.

Yeeeeah. So we'll go with Axiomatic? Changed.

Corwin

Taking Protection Devotion as the aforementioned Wings ACF. Reshuffling feats a bit to take Deft Opportunist in the now-freed feat slot. Water Domain will replace Protection Domain on the Divine Crusader side of the build.

Minor gear shifts. Gae Bolg works best as a longspear, most likely. And since Binding isn't working as I thought it did, Gae Dearg would be best as a +1 shiftsilver ghost touch longspear.

Corwin

Permanency question. SC has Hand of the Faithful (page 109). Is it possible to Permanency it? If so, is it possible to treat it like SR is treated in RAW (meaning, whether I could decide to 'raise' and 'lower' it at will) since it would be kinda dickish to force Fort saves out of my friends and random strangers whenever I'm near them.

Spell question. Greater/Anticipate Teleport from SC are eligible? I can't cast them, but we have mages who can, and the duration is golden.

Anastasia

QuoteYeeeeah. So we'll go with Axiomatic? Changed.

To clarify since word and intent matters here: It's lawful. Lawful subtype, axiomatic weapon and anything like that would beat it. I was in a bit of a hurry when I typed that, so.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin