News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

I have a group of cruel, uncaring PCs.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Ebiris

Yuthirin

They're not for interplanar summoning, though. That is unfortunately the entire point. :(
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Yuthirin

[22:34] <Yuthirin> Ko. Dragon 357, page 52 has an interesting article, one that includes elemental flora. Available in your world?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 28, 2012, 01:01:21 AM
[22:34] <Yuthirin> Ko. Dragon 357, page 52 has an interesting article, one that includes elemental flora. Available in your world?

Yeah. Exotic planar plants occasionally come up, but not all that often. Most of the time you guys are fighting or working at your goals, not studying botany. I'd want to review any particular one in this article before committing to it, so if one in particular interests you, ask me.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

I'm just trying to make the place look all pretty~

Anastasia

Knock yourself out.

I remember a few bits and pieces of them have come up in previous games. I remember the burning fruit from Fire that Antenora liked, and I think Balmuria 2 has some Elysian grains that were part of the gift of the celestials from back in Balmuria 1. So yeah, the stuff does exist.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

HEY LISTEN!

I've been sent a few PrCs lately. If you're going to make a PrC table, I highly recommend using BBcode to do so. In particular, the following website can do it automatically. http://www.teamopolis.com/tools/bbcode-table-generator.aspx Just make sure to turn first row as header off and it should come out fine. It makes things much easier to read, and I usually want it in that form before posting in any event. Thanks.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

First try and writing up a mini-guide to making epic level spells. How is this? Do you guys find it helpful?

Epic spell creation tutorial.

Before anything else, the DMG has a section on creating new magical spells. It's on page 35 and it's not in the SRD, so go find your DMG and read it. Done? Good. Read it again. I'll be waiting. Done? Alright then. Epic magic works largely the same way - the spells continue at 10th level and beyond magic. There's no massive paradigm shift like in ELH epic magic. However, things aren't precisely the same, either.

First of all, each spell level is 'bigger'. Instead of two levels long, spell levels are 3 or 4 levels long, depending on the class. A wizard gets access to a higher level of spells every two levels, right? In epic he gets a new spell level every three levels instead. So what does that mean? There's more room to work with in each spell level. There's stretching room in design to make a concept work. Bear in this mind.

Second is that I make a concerned effort to make epic magic, for lack of a better word, epic. I aim for interesting and distinct magic when possible; things that have a certain style or new angles rather than just another 5d6 damage tossed on top of it. Whenever I make an epic spell, I ask myself on question. That question is: What makes this spell epic? I aim for a certain flare with them, a certain vibe that makes them more than the common fireball.

Third is that balance should be maintained. Some ideas aren't suitable, such as things that mimic the Celerity line of spells. Keep things along the same guidelines as lower levels, this isn't an invitation to do crazy-broken shit. I don't think you guys are likely to do this, but it bears repeating. This all gets filtered through the lens of DM approval, so anything particularly out of line won't make it past that in the first place.

Finally, have fun. Come up with ideas, throw ideas to together and go for it.

Designing a spell.

Once you have a spell in mind, you need to stat it out. I recommend that you at least write a beta version of the spell out first, so you have something to refer to. This isn't required, but I find it to be helpful.

First is the name of the spell. Take some time and come up with a decent name. We don't need literary gold here, but something that doesn't sound too horrible is preferred. If you developed the spell yourself, you may prefix it with your own name. For example, Melf's Acid Arrow. This isn't mandatory and is more akin to asserting your work and ego than anything else.

From here, I recommend that you read down this list and follow it. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm This provides a basic overview and explains what a spell is made of and how it is expressed. I'd recommend keeping a few spells open in another tab so you can refer to them and see how things look in practice.

Once you have all that done, polish up your spell, balance it out and present it to me. Once we get this going, I'll make a topic for spell posting and discussion, so we can keep it all focused in one place. In any case, I'll either accept it, reject it if it is completely out of hand or unsuitable, or offer suggestions on how to revise and clarify the spell and tell you to work on it some more. Most of the time it will be the first or third, I don't foresee having to reject many spells.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

By the way, have you guys figured out about that tome of con+2 yet?
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on February 10, 2012, 10:32:37 PM
Mechanically, if you have animal devotion, you need to revere a deity who offers the animal domain.

Fuck. I missed this. Will pick a different feat real fast tomorrow.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on March 02, 2012, 03:08:05 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 10, 2012, 10:32:37 PM
Mechanically, if you have animal devotion, you need to revere a deity who offers the animal domain.

Fuck. I missed this. Will pick a different feat real fast tomorrow.

So which one did you select?
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Corwin

Complete Champion p47-48 has a Cleric ACF that's called Pool of Healing. Can I take it once I'm safely back at the Aurora? A lvl4 Favored Soul slot is worth being able to heal people better.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake