News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

From the category of I'm actually making progress, really:

Rosa

Rogue 7/Skullclan Hunter 10//Fighter 16/Cleric 1 (ACF Armored Savant at 1, Bonded Armor at 8, Armor of God at 10, Counterattack at 12, Overpowering Attack at 16; cleric is taken at level 2.) Base armor class 50. Defensive warrior that uses sneak attack to make up for going sword+shield.  Overpowering attack+PA gives her a secondary option against SA immunes - though she can sneak attack undead anyway. She has has elf immunities, a bunch of immunities from skullclan hunter and heavy fortification. She'll get spell resistance at fighter 18 with another ACF.

Ellese

Fiendtainted 9/Fiend-Blooded 8//Sorcerer 17. Fiendtainted is a custom template for her particular situation, which can be succinctly described as fucked up. She has a superior constitution score and regeneration due to the horrors she endured, but she is forever tainted by evil, from her body to her abilities to even her spells. She has no gear (obviously) and is single focused on spellcasting.

Prisoner interrogations are the lowest priority. Not much to say until they're done, though nothing groundbreaking is coming from them.

The cauldron of stars is tomorrow - it's not hard, just busywork to write out what needs to be wrote out.

Yuth wants to rebuild Muirfinn and remove the rogue levels he took, as they've ended up extraneous to his concept. I'm fine with this - Ithea did that a few levels ago and it worked out well for her. The build includes Fist of the Forest, which I'm going to nix. I don't feel the class is broken, though it is mechanically potent and probably some manner of cheese. I feel the premise of it - a wild nature savage - simply doesn't fix the premise of this game. You guys are the leaders of an interplanar fortress and army. There's not much wild and natural about it. While you could RAW satisfy the conditions by sleeping outside, the fact that you'd be spending most of your time inside with Aurora feels like it's passing RAW but violating the spirit of the class. I'm not eager to fiddle with the code of conduct, since the class is predicated and balanced on a restrictive code that can seriously hamper most type of characters. I'm usually more than willing to be adaptable with flavor, but in this case it's nothing but a headache and one I don't want to deal with.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

Okay. I'll find something else to fill the slot.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

I can make recommendations if you want, as I went through the monk PrCs for the Master and Sylvie.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Anastasia

You have six levels of rogue to eliminate and 1 level of monk as it stands. I'm going to assume at least one more level in monk since you want evasion. That leaves 5 levels to play with. These are the three best I found, as other classes are redundant for you, less useful in this campaign (boy does kensai sorta suck with cheap necklaces of natural attack around) or otherwise unrealistic. I also stuck to unarmed damage boosting classes, since I know you were interested in that.

Monk of the Enabled Hand (Dragon Compendium): The third level counter ability is awesome, but the prerequisites suck groats. You said you weren't all that interested in PM due to this, but I'm listing this for the sake of completeness. If you do look at it, there's a few houserules about it.

Arcanopath Monk (Dragon Compendium): The prereqs are awful, but it offers several status-style attacks that could be useful transformed, as you lack your spells shape shifted.

Shen (Dragon 319): Surprisingly humane prerequisites (but see text). It's a nature themed martial arts class with various options you choose at 2nd level. It also offers ki strie (silver), which obviously has appeal for this game. It also grants uncanny dodge at level 5, which you lose from rogue.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Level up summaries are as follows.

Adrian

- Dragon Devotee 2 and Fighter 8.
- 9 on a d10 for a total of 237 hp. (255 after toughness)
- +1 BAB to a total of +18.
- +4 bonus to saves against sleep and paralysis.
- +1 to fort saves.
- Skills go up as normal.
- New feats are Staggering Strike(18), Toughness(DD2), Greater Weapon Focus(F8).

Decent level. More HP helps mildly ameliorate his AC problems, while staggering strike gives him a useful option in combat.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Misalea

- Arcane Duelist 8 and Bard 11.
- 6 on a d8 for a total of 136 hp.
- +1 bab for a total of +18.
- Enchant chosen weapon rises to +4.
- +1 3rd and +4th level spells.
- +1 4th level spell known. She chooses Dimension Door.
- Gains speak with plants 1/day as an SLA.
- +1 to reflex and will saves.
- New feat is Song of the Heart(18).

Solid level. Nothing overwhelming here, but she improved every aspect of her character besides smiting evil.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Dana

- Psychic Warrior 5 and Dwarven Defender 10.
- 4 on a d12 for a total of 276 hp.
- 2+3=5 pp gained this level.
- 1 new power. She chooses Dimension Swap.
- Damage reduction 3/- for a total of damage reduction 6/-.
- +1 dodge bonus to armor class.
- +1 to fort and will saves.
- New feats are Focused Shield(18), Practiced Manifestor(PW5)

Not a bad level at all. +2 AC, +4 manifester level and dimensional swap lets her do her job better.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I see Afina spent the time reading her book, and I'll do the same with my Int one. Can we roll for the first (six day mark) batch of this?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

[00:28] <Jaela> Dune, can I roll the int check for my tome of int?
[00:29] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> Yeah, do so and post a link to the loot topic info on it. I'
[00:29] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> I'll resolve it when I'm done with levels.

[00:30] <Jaela> roll 1d20+6 DC20
[00:30] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+6 DC20 and gets 25." [1d20=19]

Nice rolls this levelup!

Tome of Clear Thought: This tome is packed with mind strengthening exercises. If studied for 8 hours per day for 7 days, it grants a 1 point bonus to intelligence. Alternately, if studied for 16 hours per day for 7 days and a DC 20 intelligence check is made at the end of the week, the bonus increases to 2. Once used, the magic of this tome is exhausted. [50,000gp]

Anastasia

Tannin

- Spellfilch 3 and Battledancer 16.
- 6 on a d8 for a total of 140 hp.
- Unarmed strike reaches 4d8 (with boosters and improved natural attack) and is now maxed out.
- Spellwise(sneak attack) is gained.
- +10 movement speed.
- +1 to fort and ref saves.
- New feat is Quicken Spell-Like Ability(Glibness)(18)

Good level. Spellwise(sneak attack) lets him do arcane strike style sacrifices for sneak attack dice. It's a move action so it's limited in use, but it gives him another option in battle. Quickened Glibnesses is obviously useful for someone in his line of work.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Arrel

- Giant Eagle 9 and Fighter 4
- 3 on a d10 for a total of 282 hp.
- +1 bab for a total of +16.
- Breath weapon DC rises by 1 to 26.
- Stunning fist DC rises by 1 to 23.
- +1 to fort saves.
- New feats are Improved Rapidstrike(claw)(18), Improved Initiative(F4).

Good level for improved rapidstrike alone.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Jarl Bigansdir

- Cloud Giant 18 and Healer 18.
- 3 on a d8 for a total of 191 hp.
- +1 bab for a total of +13.
- +1 to turn undead healing/damage.
- True calling is gained.
- +1 to fort, ref and will saves.
- New feat is Augment Healing(18).

I'm sure Jaela thinks this is a good level at least! He improved his healing game nicely, so I'd call it a good one. Spells to be updated later when I move him to the spells topic.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Contingency/Heal if Jaela is taken out of action for more than a single round, Heal can return her to action and Fortunate Fate was not activated or was not enough.

Basically, if I can't act for more than one round (so it won't activate on stuff like Stunning Fist) or have been killed, and if Heal can fix it, then it should activate. Works?