News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Tentative epic beguiler. This lacks two things: New bonus feats (the list isn't final, haven't betaed it yet, so if you see an omission, say so) and a spell list. I'll need some time to go over the beguiler spell list and get that in order.

The spells per day list is identical to a sorcerers. So is normal beguilers, with the exception of level 20. They only get 5 9th level spells instead of 6. Whatever. I might houserule that so that it's not hanging there.

Suggestions welcome.

Epic Beguiler

Hit Die

d6

Skill Points at Each Additional Level

6 + Intelligence modifier

LevelBase Attack BonusSpecial
21+10-
22+11-
23+11Advanced learning, bonus feat
24+12-
25+12-
26+13Bonus feat, cloaked casting (+3 DC)
27+13Advanced learning
28+14-
29+14Bonus feat
30+15-

Cloaked Casting (Ex)

At 26th level and every 6 levels thereafter, the epic beguiler's bonus to the DC of her spells from cloaked casting rises by 1.

Advanced Learning (Ex)

At 23rd level and every 4 levels thereafter, the epic beguiler gains another new spell from advanced learning.

Bonus Feats

An epic beguiler gains an epic bonus feat at level 13 and every 3 levels thereafter.

Epic Beguiler Bonus Feat List

Automatic Metamagic, Enhance Spell, Epic Crafting, Epic Skill Focus, Epic Spell Capacity, Epic Spell Focus, Epic Trapfinding, Ignore Material Components, Improved Metamagic, Intensify Spell, Master Staff, Master Wand, Multiaction, Permanent Emanation, Polyglot, Spell Knowledge, Spell Stowaway, Tenacious Magic.

Spellcasting

At 21st level and every level thereafter, the epic beguiler's spellcasting improves. Her caster level increases as normal. Further, once the epic beguiler obtains the Epic Spell Capacity feat, she gains spells of 10th level and higher. See the table below for her progression. The pattern below continues infinitely.

Epic beguilers do not gain spells known from level 21 and on until they obtain the Epic Spell Capacity feat. Once they do, they gain any spells they would have gained from level 21 onward.

Beguiler spells per day

Level10th11th12th13th14th15th16th
213------
223------
234------
2453-----
2563-----
2664-----
27653----
28663----
29664----
306653---
316663---
326664---
3366653--
3466663--
3566664--
36666653-
37666663-
38666664-
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Working backwards in here.

Quote from: Anastasia on December 09, 2015, 04:33:15 PM
Pasting this here so I get to it later. For reference, I'd rather you ask me questions in nagging. Especially when I'm busy and backed up like this, since it's easy to lose track of one thing amid 4 or 5 others.

<Yuthirin> Epic PP are automatic?
<Yuthirin> or need Epic Manifesting to activate?
> One sec.
> Just deep in Iddy's sheet.
<Yuthirin> reply me on it on the board pls, going to bed

They require epic manifesting to activate. You gain any backlog you'd be owed once you take the feat, as if you always had the feat. You do keep gaining manifester level without it, though.

This is identical to how epic magic works. You keep gaining caster level but no further spells.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Thanks for the write up!

As for suggestions...

Honestly, about the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is something to get easier access to Cloaked Casting. But then, I'm not 100% on all my options for triggering that.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on December 09, 2015, 03:15:28 PM
Gonna be fiddling with gear to improve survivability. Just FYI. Also feats. Dropping Mindsight. I think I originally took it for the novelty.
'

Okay, that's fine, just let me know about any changes.

As far as mindsight goes, it's a good feat but it's not an instant win. I do try and factor in the intent of it versus it being a quirky sourcebook feat that's unchecked because it wasn't designed with anything else in mind.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on December 09, 2015, 06:37:02 PM
Thanks for the write up!

As for suggestions...

Honestly, about the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is something to get easier access to Cloaked Casting. But then, I'm not 100% on all my options for triggering that.

I'll tie this into your previous post about asking how to use cloaked casting.

The simplest way is to have your enemies not be aware of you. A surprise attack is the simplest. A good Hide check can help here. Invisibility is another sturdy way to get it. However, seeing invisible is common at this point. I'd highly recommend picking up superior invisibility with advanced learning. Feinting is also an option if you're stuck in melee.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on December 09, 2015, 06:44:20 PM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on December 09, 2015, 06:37:02 PM
Thanks for the write up!

As for suggestions...

I'll tie this into your previous post about asking how to use cloaked casting.

The simplest way is to have your enemies not be aware of you. A surprise attack is the simplest. A good Hide check can help here. Invisibility is another sturdy way to get it. However, seeing invisible is common at this point. I'd highly recommend picking up superior invisibility with advanced learning. Feinting is also an option if you're stuck in melee.

Since Faerie Dragons have invisibility as an at-will, is there any way to boost that? I have no idea if a feat or something like that exists.

Anastasia

Not really, but a bit of homebrew could fix it. It wouldn't be hard to whip up a few feats for that.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on December 09, 2015, 06:49:18 PM
Not really, but a bit of homebrew could fix it. It wouldn't be hard to whip up a few feats for that.

I'd rather do that since I have it as an at-will SLA, rather than spend spell slots on it. Which I know is sorta bad meta-gaming, but... It *is* my primary defense, on top of the nifty bonuses.

Anastasia

I continue my campaign to keep people rolling and leveled up.

Morniel reaches level 21!

- Throne Archon 21 and Master Ambassador 11.
- 5 on a d8 for a total of 16 hit points and a grand total of 332 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 21.
- Damage reduction 15/evil and silver becomes damage reduction 15/epic, evil and silver.
- +1 spell resistance.
- Resistance to electricity and fire increases to 20.
- Darkvision range increases to 120ft.
- No change to saves.
- Skills go up as normal.
- In the least surprising feat choice ever, Morniel selects Epic Skill Focus(Diplomacy) as his level 21 feat.

Dead level for him besides epic skill focus and racial hit dice boosts. The things he did get are pretty neat, though.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Morniel reaches level 22!

- Throne Archon 22 and Master Ambassador 12.
- 2 on a d8 for a total of 13 hit points and a total of 345 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 22.
- +1 spell resistance.
- No change to saves.
- Skills go up as normal.

Total filler level.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

As we now have six PCs and the bookstore hasn't been raided in over two years, I would like to declare that when those posts start up again, Ithea calls dibs on any books that show up in the first post.

The rest of you guys can fight it out over any books Ithea chooses to leave for you!

(As if Dune didn't have enough things on his mind with leveling up all the NPCs and two new characters! :-3)
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Iron Dragoon

Dune, for suggestions, since the *vast* majority of Beguiler spells are either Enchantments or Illusions with the Mind-Affecting descriptor, how about some sort of immunity bypass for it like the SR bypass via Cloaked Casting?

Merc

That defeats the purpose of having immunity to mind-affecting!
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

That sort of thing does exist in epic. Example: Music of the Gods, an epic bard feat. I'll bear that in mind when I do epic feats for beguiler. Probably Friday.
<Afina> Forever.