Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Since today is a bit of a slow day due to where all the threads are, have some trivia.

1. Cresiel is a solar 23 right now. His gestalt is offline due to the trauma he went through. Once that's fixed, he'd be a solar 23//knight 10/hellreaver 13. He's been challenging foes, but the ability's offline. He takes after his parents in a way, who have been mentioned elsewhere. Bonus points if you know where.

2. Gehenna is different from Hell or the Abyss. With Hell, you get legions, coordination and politics. With the Abyss, you get horrifying and twisted nightmares. With Gehenna, you get silence, darkness and ultimately emptiness. What else could creatures like the yugoloths produce? Afina's thread has been a good chance to show that off.

3. I'll spoil where one party member on Jaela's team ended up. Mei was tossed into Ysgard. Due to where she appeared, this spoiler won't matter. As much as Lixer would have liked to have the blast send them all to Hell, he didn't have the time to set that part up. With everything else going on, that would have been a serious effort to add. Relying on something unpredictable is wholly disagreeable to him, but the rest of the plan was strong enough that he had no choice. Giving the tomb more time to prepare would have fixed this problem.

4. Rosa would have been better off in either of the other two groups. Earth was her weakest choice, I'll go over choices once this is all done. Her ability to sneak attack undead and high AC would make her more useful in Vacuum or Gehenna. Earth and its high attack bonus enemies negate her biggest strength and there aren't enough undead here to make skullclan hunter shine. Plus, y'know, she died.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quick reminder: Since we don't use XP, commune is 1000 gold a pop. Previous castings that skidded by get freebies on it, so this only applies going forward.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Yuth, we're waiting on your saves over in the Gehenna thread. In case you weren't aware.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on March 05, 2016, 01:47:44 AM
Was working.

I figured, it's all good. We were just wound up to see how big a mess that thing in the Gehenna thread would end up being.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

When y'all are done with this and it isn't too spoilery, you'll get a plan analysis and breakdown of everything that's happened during this arc and why. It's an absolute mess behind the scenes, since plans met plans and plans got messy.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Announcements.

1. Rosa is going to be taking some downtime, barring emergencies. If a PC wishes to focus some attention on her, they're welcome to. She's not available for combat missions until further notice.
2. Cresiel needs some downtime as well. This is purely of the recovering variety due to the traumas Lixer's goons inflicted on him. He is available for combat missions if needed, but rest will make it pass quicker.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Calleigh is very interested in checking up on Rosa as she was nice to Calleigh and not everybody is nice to Calleigh and the people who are deserve special attention and ohmygawd did she die!?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Nephrite

Moore would be happy to do whatever he can to help Rosa, since he feels partially responsible for what happened to her.

Anastasia

Today's todo list:

1. Work up Cresiel fully.
2. Look at how viable a 10 level War Weaver PrC would be. Design one if it is viable. If not, look into epic feats (maybe).
3. Fatesinger PrC.
4. Deal with Ruin Delver's Fortune.

Anyone have anything to add to that?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

There were a few things you said you wanted to do after everyone returned. I think Ruin Delver's Fortune was on the list?

If you could give the Fatesinger PrC a final pass because there were a few hiccups with durations on things that'd also be swell.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Today's todo list:

1. Work up Cresiel fully.
2. Look at how viable a 10 level War Weaver PrC would be. Design one if it is viable. If not, look into epic feats (maybe).
3. Fatesinger PrC.
4. Deal with Ruin Delver's Fortune.

Okay, fortune first. On reflection I'm going to ban it, as I don't feel that's a reasonable 4th level spell. The problem isn't any one effect in a bubble, it's having so many as an immediate action. It makes it too much of an emergency button to get out of jail free for my tastes, at least for the spell level it is at.

Neph, could you send me the current version of fatesinger?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Yep.

While you're here, how does Plane Shift work? Could Moore go back to Venya if he wanted to do so? (Obviously with the 5-500 mile from the destination part of things in mind.)

Anastasia

Thanks.

Quick note: Ice Assassin is now in banned spells. This one wasn't ever happening anyway, but the upshot is that the spell's a mess I'd rather not deal with. This one's never been used so I'm just confirming the reality of it.

Generally, plane shift can take you to the first layer of a plane. One (usually) can't teleport right into Nessus or Chronias, for instance. However, each plane is different and has different standards, rules and allowances*. In Celestia, with rare exception, anyone who comes to the plane starts on Lunia. There's no absolute rule against teleporting to layers you've already risen to before, but it's highly discouraged and most who aim to usually find something or another to distract them from it. It's really missing the point of Celestia to just teleport on up rather than walking the mountain.

(Throne archons and above are not subject to this, as their duties require them to be able to travel to any of Celestia's first six layers. Most throne archons will have been as high as Jovar by the time they reach that rank, so it's largely an academic issue. It's flatly impossible to teleport, planeshift or gate into Chronias. Woe unto a creature so foolish as to try.)

That being said, needs must as needs must. When there is a need for a creature to quickly ascend, they will find a way. Be it their own spell working without distraction or difficulty, an archon teleporting them, a hidden path being found or whatever the method may be, creatures with sincere and legitimate need to ascend swiftly will find that it happens. Of course what Celestia continues sincere needs and what a creature would may not precisely align with one another.

Anyway, the upshot of this is: In theory yes, and yes if he has a good reason for haste, but usually circumstances will conspire against it or the spell will fail. Also because he skipped right to Venya, Moore's situation is a little unique. That may impact things in some way.

*A plane's teleportation and plane shifting rules are determined by the plane, its rulers and the deities that live there.
<Afina> Forever.