Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Side note: Kascha's loot purchases were inspired by Vlaakith. She doesn't much like liches, but she found Vlaakith's ideas regarding linked magical items fascinating.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

I Exist

This book is a series of affirmations that assure the reader that they in fact exist. There are several complex philosophical arguments laced in that attempt to prove that the reader exists, even when the author is not aware of them. Because you exist, everything else you see must also exist. This begins a reasoned chain reaction where the existence of the reader proves that all of Creation is real, even when the author is not aware of them. That is, as long as his base argument is correct and that the reader does in fact exist. Surely that is correct and reality is not merely the author's delusion.

Yet as the book goes on, the confident done begins to crack. What are arguments become pleas for the reader to be real. Wild and frenzied writings contrast with limpid predictions of reality itself being naught but a figment. That if everything else is a delusion, that even the author must be a delusion as well. If nothing exists, then nothing means anything. What meaning does a mere glimmer of delusion have?

Make a Will save, Ithea.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

The Nessian Conspiracy

This novel, written by the Gwinnan of Gwinnan's Travel Logs, portrays a devil conspiracy in the Mercane Consortium. It is a tightly paced and well written thrilled where a single, plucky mercane has to outwit and expose a cabal of devil worshipers within the Consortium. As the story unfolds, it reveals that the plotters plan to steal the wealth of the Consortium and give it to their devil masters. In an explosive finale, the cabal is exposed and destroyed in the nick of time.

Ithea finds it a pleasant way to pass an afternoon, though she also notes that much of the lore is off. Most likely intentionally so, as the parts that are off tend to be parts relating to spells, rituals and things of possible value to a potential devil cultist. The skill of the errors strongly suggests someone who knew how to ruin them, rather than incompetency.

An sample from the text is provided below.

"I could not help but express disbelief at the plan of the cultists. There is no way they could steal all the Consortium's treasures in one fell swoop, yet they were convinced they could. Disgusted at this blatant display of baatorphilia, I promptly grabbed my wand and exploded a fireball in their faces."
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Surprise

...huh, the book's empty? Yet Ithea feels like she avoided something terrible.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Quote from: Anastasia on April 25, 2016, 03:20:22 AM
I Exist

This book is a series of affirmations that assure the reader that they in fact exist. There are several complex philosophical arguments laced in that attempt to prove that the reader exists, even when the author is not aware of them. Because you exist, everything else you see must also exist. This begins a reasoned chain reaction where the existence of the reader proves that all of Creation is real, even when the author is not aware of them. That is, as long as his base argument is correct and that the reader does in fact exist. Surely that is correct and reality is not merely the author's delusion.

Yet as the book goes on, the confident done begins to crack. What are arguments become pleas for the reader to be real. Wild and frenzied writings contrast with limpid predictions of reality itself being naught but a figment. That if everything else is a delusion, that even the author must be a delusion as well. If nothing exists, then nothing means anything. What meaning does a mere glimmer of delusion have?

Make a Will save, Ithea.

[20:57] <Merc> roll d20+33+11 will+inspiration
[20:57] <Penuche> Merc invokes Penuche's magic: < 45 > [d20=1]
[20:57] <Merc> it's another cheese book
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

So noted. Bring this failed save up the next time you have to make a Will save, Ithea.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Lost Lore of the Abyss: The Hanged Raven

This series of books is written with a great deal of repetition and reinforcement. The entire writing style is highly ordered, as a preface explains this is desirable to better hold the often mutable lore of chaos.

The Hanged Raven is a demon servant of Pale Night. Once a mortal wizard named Lyss Ravensbane, she was spurned by a lover and humiliated. Thus she turned to the darkest of research for revenge. In time she found herself studying the Pale Mother and dared to peek at what lies beneath her vale. The fact that she survived is remarkable, as precious few can claim to have done so. The cost was high: her mind and sanity, both crushed like a bug beneath a demon's hoof. Lost in madness, Lyss hung herself and took her own life.

Stained by the sins of her research and suicide, her soul plunged into the Abyss and was claimed by Pale Night. What happened thereafter is unknown, but within six years, she emerged as a being known as The Hanged Raven. She is now a fanatic servant of Pale Night and chokes the life out of others as surely as she stole her own precious life away. She is silent and hateful, unable or unwilling to speak.

The Hanged Raven has no notable weaknesses. She is a devastating opponent that overwhelms foes by choking them and crushing them with flocks of ravens. She may or may not have the spell casting of her mortal life, passingly few creatures survive an encounter with her to testify to her abilities. It is likely she has a depth of power that is yet unrevealed. At the least, she likely has the spell-like abilities of a greater demon, as well as the ability to call down unholy miracles from her patron.

She uses no magical items of note, though the noose around her neck - the same one she used to kill herself, or so the legends say - is thought to be powerfully enchanted.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Lost Lore of the Abyss: InagHE FATHER, AMEN

Ithea it is time to come home and to eat because it has been too long, the time is now and the time is right to join us. The seal weakens and I await you with open arms my beloved child! I will show you all the world and all the wonders in it, so many wondrous things to see! My child, the world is our buffet and I will take you there, as surely as all will be made right and we will revel now and forever, amen!

One paragraph is enough for Ithea. The book seems to be all like this, a maniac prose that makes her stomach churn and hunger at the same time. She can attempt to read more if she wishes, though.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Glaive Mastery

This book is about glaive technique. When read, it explains how to use glaives in detail, showing all manner of tricks, techniques and skills. The exact benefit varies on how skilled the reader is with glaives. See the table below.

Non-proficient: Gain Martial Weapon Proficiency (Glaive) as a bonus feat.
Proficient: Gain Weapon Focus (Glaive) as a bonus feat.
Proficient+Weapon Focus (Glaive): Gain Extend Reach.

Extend Reach (Ex)

When you wield a glaive, increase your reach with it by 5ft.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

The Defectors

This book is an in depth study of how Mechanus improves its Inevitables with each successive generation. The focus is on The Defectors, a group of Inevitables that study each generation and make suggestions to reduce defects, hence the name. It is a dense but interesting read, as it naturally builds on itself and draws the reader in through that. You find yourself following and improving and learning from the processes. On one hand, it's strangely distasteful. On the other, you can see how effective it is and how his mind begins to follow the patterns and anticipate where the book is going. You aren't sure what will happen if you keep going and doing this.

Your call if you continue to read, Surraruthru.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

I'll continue to read. Go big or go home.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Make a Will save, Surraruthru.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

> roll 1d20+28 Will Save Serith Result
<Plushie_Ithea> Iddy roll for Plushie_Ithea < 42 > [d20=14]
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Logic. Everything is connected, part of the greater whole. Everything can predicted because Creation can be boiled down to processes, if one can only decipher then and understand them. By the end of it all, Surraruthru can predict the closing chapter almost word for word. When it's done, he has a pounding headache. He feels drained but yet as if his body is more, somehow, as if he internalized some part of that ever-mounting perfectionism.

Surraruthru's maximum hit points increase by 2.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I want to see if I exist! May I, Ithea?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake