News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

At this point B3's going to get more attention. Y'see, Eb dropped from B5 and the decided course of action is to make that a weekly game. I want to keep it going, but the loss of Inari hurts. I'm going to run it like this, see how it does and if the game can keep momentum in light of that. The upshot is that B3's going to get more time and effort into it without B5 sessions clogging things up.

Also I'm just calling it B3 at this point. It's more active than B3 was back in the day and everyone's playing, so it's a bit daft to call it a coda. To be totally honest, I may run with B3 as my main game for at least awhile, we'll see how it goes.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

I've been debating calling you out on the Coda bit for a while now.

Didn't want to hurt your sensitive feelings though. :P
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on May 16, 2016, 04:17:34 PM
I've been debating calling you out on the Coda bit for a while now.

Didn't want to hurt your sensitive feelings though. :P

* Anastasia whimpers.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Had a thought for a magic item add-on considering Afina's recently altered wardrobe.

Coordination

Favoured by fashion conscious adventurers and those who wish to tie their collection of looted enchanted items to a theme, this enchantment can be added to any item of clothing.

With a command word said while touching the item to another garment, the item will alter it's style and colouration to complement the touched item. It's overall dimensions remain the same. It remains in this new style until the command word is said again and it reverts to normal whereupon it can be linked to a different garment in the same manner.

I was thinking something like 500gp since its pure fluff with little utility. Probably makes diplomacy a little easier or maybe infiltration since you can make your gear match your stolen uniform or whatever but it's nothing game changing.

Anastasia

That's fine. I'd have to look up related things for an exact price, but I suspect you're in the ballpark. I'll get back to you on details later today, since doctor visit looms.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

That already sorta exists. Vestments of Many Styles. Think it's from Eberron.

Category:
shirt/vest
Description:
Aura Moderate transmutation CL 9th

Price 500 gp Weight -

This suit of clothes transforms itself into different fabrics and designs, allowing the wearer to alter her outward appearance with a command word. The vestment grants a +2 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks in any situations where clothing is part of the disguise (so that it wouldn't help disguise a sorcerer who had shapechanged into a red dragon, for example), but does not change or disguise any armor worn.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Ebiris

Yeah I took the price point from that but it's more as an add-on you can apply to cloaks/boots/hats/etc without using up an item slot.

Anastasia

Thanks for doing my homework, Iddy.

That's fine, I'll write it out all officially shortly.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on May 17, 2016, 09:21:27 AM
Had a thought for a magic item add-on considering Afina's recently altered wardrobe.

Coordination

Favoured by fashion conscious adventurers and those who wish to tie their collection of looted enchanted items to a theme, this enchantment can be added to any item of clothing.

With a command word said while touching the item to another garment, the item will alter it's style and colouration to complement the touched item. It's overall dimensions remain the same. It remains in this new style until the command word is said again and it reverts to normal whereupon it can be linked to a different garment in the same manner.

I was thinking something like 500gp since its pure fluff with little utility. Probably makes diplomacy a little easier or maybe infiltration since you can make your gear match your stolen uniform or whatever but it's nothing game changing.

Coordination

This special enchantment can be added to any article of clothing. On touching the enchanted item to a garment, the touched item will alter its style and coloration to complement the touched item. The item's overall dimensions remain the same. The affected item remains in this new style until the command word is said again.

Moderate transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, disguise self; Price 500 gold.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

The new magic item property is in houserules.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

I essentially copied the Awaken spell and bumped it a few levels for difficulty. I added one die to each of the bonuses it grants on awakening, feeling it's justified with both the higher spell cost, material/xp cost, and that it's dealing with creatures of magic already.

Awaken Magical Beast
Transmutation
Level: Wiz/Sorc 7
Components: V, S, DF, XP
Casting Time: 24 hours
Range:   Touch
Target:   Magical Beast
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You awaken a magical beast to humanlike sentience. To succeed, you must make a Will save (DC 10 + the magical beasts's current HD).

The awakened magical beast is friendly toward you. You have no special empathy or connection with a creature you awaken, although it serves you in specific tasks or endeavors if you communicate your desires to it.

An awakened magical beast gets 4d6 Intelligence, +2d3 Charisma, and +3 HD. Its type remains the same as the base creatuer.

An awakened magical beast can speak one language that you know, plus one additional language that you know per point of Intelligence bonus (if any).

Material Component equaling 2,000 gp

XP Cost
450 XP.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on May 22, 2016, 11:01:33 AM
I essentially copied the Awaken spell and bumped it a few levels for difficulty. I added one die to each of the bonuses it grants on awakening, feeling it's justified with both the higher spell cost, material/xp cost, and that it's dealing with creatures of magic already.

Snipped for length

A few notes and suggestions.

- Agreed about the higher spell level. Awakening a magical beast is more complicated than awakening a tree or plant. Magical beasts bring certain complications as well that requires more precision and power than a typical awakening.
- From the office of D&D pedantry: It's Sor/Wiz, not Wiz/Sorc. On a related note, if you're going to copy/paste from the SRD, at least edit out the spacing issues.
- No divine focus since that's for divine casters. Remove the DF from components.
- When you designate a target with a touch, use creature touch, objected touch or a more specific description as needed. In this case, the phrase you'd use would be 'magical beast touched'.
- Balmuria doesn't use XP. It's converted to at a 1-10 ratio to GP cost if I decide that's appropriate or the XP cost is simply removed. Depends on the spell and what it does, I'd keep it for awakening. For reference, awaken construct's 5k XP cost was converted to a flat 5k gold cost rather than 50k gold, which I felt would be excessive. So let's put awaken magical beast at 4k? Yeah, that sounds about reasonable.
- I wouldn't use precisely the same rules (or the scaled up ones) you used for this with Intelligence, Charisma and hit dice. Magical beasts are a bit different and require a different touch. The 24 hour casting time makes it difficult, since magical beasts are harder to contain and deal with than a mere animal or plant.
- Awakened magical beasts would be able to gestalt in time, though it's not quick or easy.

My take would be something like this.

Awaken Magical Beast
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Target: Magical beast touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You awaken a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2 to human intelligence. You must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + the magical beast's current hit dice) or the spell fails. This spell is otherwise identical to awaken, except as noted here.

An awakened magical beast rolls a new Intelligence score of 3d6 and gains 1d3 points of Charisma. It gains 2 hit dice.

Material Components

A potion made of rare ingredients worth no less than 4,000 gold.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

I'll keep those notes in mind for the next time. Your take looks perfectly fine to me.

Anastasia

Done, adding to the spell collection.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Selune's posted over on the R&S board now. Notable for y'all since she's sponsored Aurora a lot.
<Afina> Forever.