Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on September 30, 2016, 01:42:00 PMI'm of two minds about this. Now, with the duration and scalability, it makes sense to have it. But I also kinda don't want it to exist.

It's the sort of thing that when it's around, you feel like everyone should use it. If I go from 120ft to 270ft of movement with a single spell, I'll fly circles around everyone and could always disengage from everything or run anyone down. It will be stupid to ever not use it. Then, to remain a challenge, the enemies would also get it, and of course my allies would need a way to keep up as well. I don't really want to make speed an epic magic arms race.

Eb, since you commented on the spell earlier, thoughts?

I agree with your sentiment there. It's why I made it Travel 11 only. As a unique domain spell I'm fine with it, those get a little extra leeway in epic.

Quote from: Ebiris on September 30, 2016, 01:49:27 PM
Honestly I don't feel that 'goes fast' is an amazing power to have. Tactical movement is great but at those levels anything you try to kite probably has something ranged that it can use to fight back with, and if you run in to melee it yourself then it's still gonna have a chance to melee you back before you use your massive movement to run away again on your next turn. And in terms of just disengaging from a fight... I actually don't have a problem with an 11th level spell that lets you run away real good for those times that teleportation is blocked. It's a natural evolution from expeditious retreat.

Pretty much. It's stupidly useful when you need it, but most threats of your level have plenty of ranged options or ways to catch up.

Both posts read, I was on the fence with the spell but fell on the side of writing it. I don't think it's mechanically broken, but it tempts you to have it going at all times. If I'm wrong, it's easy enough to ban.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

Quote from: Yuthirin on September 28, 2016, 02:41:11 PM
Neph & Ko: I'll be fleshing out Muirfinn's Journal throughout the day. Hopefully I can finish it today, but I don't know. 

Took a while, but it's done! Let me know if you think I missed anything, Dune.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on September 30, 2016, 09:02:23 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on September 28, 2016, 02:41:11 PM
Neph & Ko: I'll be fleshing out Muirfinn's Journal throughout the day. Hopefully I can finish it today, but I don't know. 

Took a while, but it's done! Let me know if you think I missed anything, Dune.

Looks good. Lemme deeply read it.

Also fixed one extremely unfortunate typo.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Fog trap and war's blessing added to spell collection. Still debating about fleet, I've been flipflopping on it.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on September 30, 2016, 01:58:58 PM
I got talking to Dune about spells that create/summon battlefield clones, so as per his request I'll try to list anything relevant here.

Thanks.

Ice Assassin's banned, so I'm not going to consider that spell. That spell is a headache top to bottom, so for our purposes it doesn't exist.

Anyway, the takeaway is that barring one wu-jen spell, there's no pre-epic spell that can make an active clone of you. Even then, the wu-jen spell's good for highly limited far weaker clones, so it's safe to say that an actual, active clone is firmly into epic magic.

From there's really up to how you execute it and write it out. Some thoughts on it in spoilers, these are mostly me working through the issue.

Spoiler: ShowHide

- An illusion spell would be the easiest path, though the one with the most vulnerabilities. Probably an illusion (shadow) spell. Perhaps expensive with a material component as well as compensating for XP costs, see clone and simulacrum.

- A conjuration (creation) spell would be much harder. While not ever explicitly said anywhere, my take on reading the spells is that making something as strong as you (such as yourself) or stronger is extremely difficult or impossible. For example, making a new, souled creature is possible with epic magic, but it starts with a basic 1 HD humanoid and rises from there. Generally it won't ever catch up.

- Not sure how much credit to give body outside of body for this. One stray spell from a class we don't really use isn't a great bellwether. The wu-jen spell list has a few oddballs that do things no other spell does.

- As a general thought from what little clone magic exists, there's usually drawbacks or limitations. HP consumption, far weaker, consumes your resources, ect ect.

- In light of that, a perfect clone spell is likely impossible or close enough to it to be well beyond the reach of B3's power level. The most well known sort of cloning, divine avatars, is also the most powerful and even then the avatars aren't as strong as the deity. As a 19th level spell can give a non-deity a pseudo-avatar, any spell to make a perfect clone would at least have to be 20th level.

- FYI, the 19th level avatar-making spell isn't likely to be posted. Just mentioned since it's relevant. There are some spells I don't post but I make so that I have structure.

- Charop and exploit issues aside, my main concern with clone spells is them basically being an end run around the action economy. Pop a clone, suddenly have two sets of actions in a round. Getting extra actions tends to blow things wide open, see 3.0's haste spell. While mentioned, summoning and calling spells don't fall under the same umbrella, since it summons creatures that aren't (barring edge cases such as a generic creature able to summon more of its kind) the same and don't have the same options.  For the sake of this I'm not worried about those spells.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Magical beast growth is now in the spell collection. Just a heads up.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Merc, check your PMs if you see this? I sent you one a day or two ago.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

I've been out in Seattle on a sudden work trip (mentioned in FFd6 board only, sorry) all of last week and then arrived home with a bad cold. Client had apparently been bitching to my management or something that we never visit and that they're always flying down to Houston, so we (as in the whole Houston team) basically got shanghai'ed into going there for a change.

I've not thought about B3 for a while, sorry. Just now is the first I'm really checking the board, outside of a peek here or there, since that came up.

I'll focus on it this week again, should have some extra time since FFd6 seems to be canceled for Tuesday evenings from the look of things until we figure rescheduling for that.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

If you're not going to put character pictures in the NPC sheets, I'm gonna need to insist on a description for each NPC.

Otherwise we have Faceless Mook 1
Faceless Mook 2.
Faceless Mook Moonlight.
Etc.

TL;DR, I can't find a description of Moonlight or her stuff in the logs because I'm crazy busy and I don't want to pump the brakes on my already-slow thread. Help.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Sure, I'll find it for you real quick.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

She's rather short, barely over five feet tall. She has an unruly head of bright red hair, unreal with its sheer intensity. She wears full plate armor colored white and decorated with golden suns on the breastplate and joints. "Hi, sorry I'm late. I'm Moonlight," From her non pointed ears and generally human appearance, she doesn't look like an elf, despite the name. As if sensing that, "No no, my parents just thought elves were neat. I have a brother that got named Oak Tree. Yeah." She claps her hands and smiles, "Considering who I serve, that made my name really ironic. Anyway, Parai had something come up so I'm taking this position instead."
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

FYI, she's meant to look like Titania from Fire Emblem 9/10, except that she has a much more childish face. She's young at heart and in personality.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on October 11, 2016, 01:41:51 PM
FYI, she's meant to look like Titania from Fire Emblem 9/10, except that she has a much more childish face. She's young at heart and in personality.
FYI, I have no clue who that is and can't look it up from work.

Anastasia

Want me to link you an image then?
<Afina> Forever.