News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Cool. Off to make your thread.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

Hey, listen! Don't forget about my spell!

Iron Dragoon

So I did some work on the Numerology challenge thing. I haven't finished yet, but I plan to. In the mean time, here's what I've gotten so far:

493. 5. 3. 390944. 5920. 49. 580284208424. 54935. 5938. 0928300. 384. 589382984298. 49. 1.

493: 4 being death, 9 being wildness constrained, and 3 being truth, it lends towards the truth of the universe being that all things die being a truth that needs to be constrained or chained, taken to mean mastered. Mastering death itself would allow a being to control at least a portion of the truth of the universe.

5: A great power. Taken in with 493, it seems likely there's a devil trying to make a run at defying or controlling death to get to a power that would be normally locked away, and doing so by mastering the duality of his existence on multiple levels; physical, spiritual, and the balance of his existence.

3: Another truth reference. Taken with the above, it's probably a truth that can reassert itself, or is fighting against the devil in some way.

390944: Taken as a whole, a possible reference to a truth locked away at the core of the hells or of devils, a truth hidden or trapped in hell. With 0, it could be the truth of the void, followed by another 9 reference, it could be a loop that forces the existence of the nine hells or the truth of them, to be tied to the void, neither existing without the other. Followed by dual 4s there's likely two paths to the power or understanding locked in this truth, and that you can't rely on one without the other. Matches with the duality of life/death and the hells/heavens.

5920: This series is similar to the above, but instead of referencing something on a planar/universal scale, it's reduced down to the individual. The self-standing in for the planes, and the 9 specifying a specific devil. The duality, and the 2, of this implies that it's a devil tied to the existence of the hells themselves, and vice-versa. Following with the 0 could imply that without one, all turns to void. Taken with the 390944 series, it could imply that the individual referenced could be a type of gatekeeper or a thing that maintains the co-existence between them, and without it, the hells would become void.

49: This lends itself to the binding of death and the hells. Perhaps death is the binding that constrains the chaos of the hells. Taking this with the above, it could be that constraint of death is what holds the hells together and away from the void; as devils reincarnate when killed typically.

580284208424: 5 is another mention of power, while 8 is limbo, followed by 0, the null or void. These taken together as a block inside the series, defined by the zero separating the block, could lead to mean the path of power could lie in the fabric of limbo; of madness tamed and thus creation. Following this with 2 is another mention of duality; the insanity of limbo breeding creation. Life is ordered, but wild creation, unordered creation, breeds life. Life from chaos. Following the duality with another mention of limbo/wild creation and 4 as a path to power is likely a mistake here. Taken with the rest of the series, it seems likely that it's meant to represent the self/body/soul/truth/death portion of the definition; I.E.- the wild creation of limbo is what is producing the self/body/soul/truth/death, with the duality number indicating a focus on the body and soul with 0 ending the block. The next block begins with limbo or wild creation again, with 4/2/4 following it, indicating a focus on the duality of the 4s; two fours and the number 2. This could mean that the core of limbo's wild creation is the duality of the body and soul, defined by the death portion of 4. Taken together as whole, the series seems to say that within the core fabric of limbo, that which causes madness, contains the secret of creation, and that true creation causes madness. This madness causes life to breed endlessly and untamed, and that's a true, universal level power. With 27's relationship with Aurora and Aurora seeming to becoming a gathering place for Anarch, it could mean that Limbo is hedging its bets against whatever devil(s) are trying to use the link between death/void and Limbo to gain a path to the power of true creation. It could also mean that there's a link between 27 and the generation of Anarchs in Aurora; 27 likely has a far deeper connection to the fabric of Limbo than anyone realizes. It could be that the madness of Limbo has gained a consciousness of sorts and chosen 27 to be its agent to find suitable champions to become its agents/defenders.

54935: Looking at this series, it seems to work as an entire statement instead of blocks, like the previous ones. The numbers seem to flow together better than the others. It seems that the 5 is to represent the death portion of the number as indicated by the four, meaning that the gate to power is through death. The 9 seems to indicate that the hells are the chains of death followed by the 3 meaning absolute truth and power of death as a universal truth and prefacing 5, leading me to believe that the intent is to focus on the first four; the truth of the self/body/soul/truth as a path. Taken together it seems to say that through death, power is found. The power to control and constrain all of creation, and that the path is found through the self and the death of the self.

5938: This seems to flow together like the previous series. Death/path to power, the hells/constraining/binding, the truth, and limbo/wild creation again. Taken together, it could mean Death is controlled/chained by the hells, which is used to bind/constrain the wild creation and madness of Limbo.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on December 01, 2016, 03:19:45 PM493: 4 being death, 9 being wildness constrained, and 3 being truth, it lends towards the truth of the universe being that all things die being a truth that needs to be constrained or chained, taken to mean mastered. Mastering death itself would allow a being to control at least a portion of the truth of the universe.
Necromancy is the true path to power. You heard it here first, folks.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Not commenting on the numerology stuff due to DM blah blah blah.

Neph, could you quote the greater improvisation spell for me real quick? Thanks.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Greater Improvisation
Transmutation
Level: Bard 7 (8?),
Components: V, S, M,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 minutes/level

This spell functions as Improvisation, except as noted above. In addition, the 'pool' of luck is three times your caster level.

Anastasia

Yuth: Once you're done and it's proofread, if all's good I can move over to the R&S board if you like.

Not posting there is more about stopping random comments in random threads, when they're meant to go to nagging or other misc topics instead.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on December 02, 2016, 01:48:30 PM
Greater Improvisation
Transmutation
Level: Bard 7 (8?),
Components: V, S, M,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You

This spell functions as Improvisation, except as noted above. In addition, the 'pool' of luck is three times your caster level.

Greater Improvisation
Transmutation
Level: Brd 7

This spell is identical to improvisation, except the duration is 10 minutes per caster level and the pool of luck is three times your caster level.

Sound good? It's basically paying the spell levels for more luck and a higher duration.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Iddy: Checked and yeah, my mistake on the half celestial hit dice, I was wrong. Go ahead and fix that up real quick.

Got mixed up with other games.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Dune: Yes, I'm fine with that.

Anastasia

Quotefamilial pods of three

Not counting offspring?

QuoteThose who favor pursuits into magical studies tend to favor the manipulation of water and Water spells.

I'd suggest removing the capitalization from water and rewriting it to something like '...tend to favor spells that manipulate water' or some such.

QuoteThe home plane of the Irrigo was a land almost entirely submerged under water. Average depth was 100 ft.

I'd suggest combining those two sentences or adding something to the second sentence, as it reads choppily. Also irrigo being capitalized there doesn't match how you've been capitalizing it in the rest of the article.

QuoteH'ph'n (pronounced HO-fin), whose name means "Spire", is a city built into a massive spike of volcanic rock which breaches the surface of the water far above the sea floor.

B'l'sh'n (pronounced Bolo-shen), whose names means "Suspended over Darkness", is a city suspended on a calcified sea-hemp trellis over a deep-sea trench.

These cities are a memory since the irrigo homeworld's gone, so shouldn't those be referred to as 'was a city' or some such, rather than 'is a city'?

Also, the apostrophe is used in place of vowels in the irrigo alphabet? How do you distinguish which vowel an apostrophe represents? This one isn't a critique but a genuine question, since I'm curious.

QuoteThe overwhelming majority of irrigo worship the triune god M'ph's-T'l-H'k (prounounced Mef-ISS Tell HO-k). Aspects of their creation can be seen in their physiology, which favors threes. Three eyes, clusters of three tendrils, and three genders.

Three is a powerful number, certainly. I believe you mentioned that the irrigo ultimately rose to Arborea, so that suggests ties to other triune figures there, such as Queen Morwel or Angharradh.

QuoteSpellcasters are common, and psions are not unheard of. Clergy tend to be found in communities, though wandering or hermit clerics are fairly regular. In general, clerics of M'ph's-T'l-H'k tend toward artistry and any temples toward them are both ornate and colorfully decorated.

I'd think psions would be more common, as the race is naturally psionic. Not a big deal though and that does fit Balmuria's take on psionics being fairly rare compared to magic.

<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Just noting I'm replacing Greater Shadow Conjuration with Greater Improvisation.

Corwin

Now that we have one of the first embers of goldenfire, how does it translate to a Taelfagn defense?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on December 08, 2016, 05:26:41 PM
Now that we have one of the first embers of goldenfire, how does it translate to a Taelfagn defense?

This'll take a bit of studying it, do you?
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Afina figured she'd just have to forge it into a weapon or something, but she'll do the requisite studying while Jaela was off with her Antenora visit or something?