Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

I'm willing to lose 10 days to avoid permanent death. Pretty tired of rerolling. Also, out of ideas.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on December 14, 2016, 10:24:17 PM
I'm willing to lose 10 days to avoid permanent death. Pretty tired of rerolling. Also, out of ideas.

Fair enough.

At least Muirfinn may see the light of day again.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

Also, Gytha is around now, and he's creating abominations flesh monstrosities atrocities against creation bodies.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on December 14, 2016, 10:31:02 PM

Also, Gytha is around now, and he's creating abominations flesh monstrosities atrocities against creation bodies.

That is true. To be honest, you two could probably come up with an improved version of it. Would probably be an epic power, though.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on December 14, 2016, 12:56:26 PM
Just something I'm doing for fun and I had a spontaneous idea about. It's probably too strong a spell, but I figured why not.

Cartography
Divination
Level: Ranger 3, Bard 5, Druid 5 (Should these be higher? I don't know)
Components: V, S, AF, DF,
Casting Time: 3 rounds
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous

When you cast this spell, you are surrounded by a nimbus of blue light. In your mind, a map unfolds of the location you are in, showing you the layout, hallways, doors, stairs and other locations within.

When the light fades, you retain his knowledge. You instantly gain an overview of the dungeon or location you are currently in, which can include a cave, castle, dungeon or any other place that you happen to find yourself in. This spell does show secret passages but cannot penetrate locations sealed or hidden by magical means. This spell also does not give you an idea of where any creatures or objects may be located, including traps, only an understanding of your location as if you were looking at a map.

1. Probably needs a more firm limit on the area it covers. Otherwise you could get up to shenanigans with it.
2. What spells is this closest too and what level are they? Consider this homework. <_<
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

1) I agree, but can't think of anything specific. Maybe limit the actual radius it effects, up to something like X feet per caster level?

Lay of the Land is:
Level: Ranger 1, Consecrated Harrier 1, Bard 4, Druid 4,

Find the Path (which is a lot more specific)
Level: Brd 6, Clr 6, Drd 6, Knowledge 6, Travel 6

Locate Object (Not exactly the same but kind of has the idea)
Level:   Brd 2, Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 2, Travel 2

That's all I've really got on spells that do the same sort of thing.

Iron Dragoon

Dune, what do you think of this? It's just a copied/upgraded version. I wasn't sure what level to make it, seeing as how you disliked the hijinks of the uncapped version.

Mighty Wallop, Superior
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer 10, Wizard 10, Spellthief 10
Components: V, S, AF,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One bludgeoning melee weapon
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: None (object)
Spell Resistance: No (object)

As Mighty Wallop (Greater), except that the bludgeoning melee weapon damage increases by four size categories.

Focus: A melee weapon.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Here's some Christmas presents in the form of DM information, y'all. This mostly deals with the recent negotiations.

1. Kaessa's presence at the Muirfinn Negotiations was due to Glasya's court still being determined. Normally this would have been delegated further down the chain, as Kaessa is a Duchess of Hell in all but name and power. To make the best of the situation, Glasya ordered her to help Martinet as much as possible. Nothing wrong with scoring some political points and Glasya had an inkling her father wanted the negotiations to succeed. Her presence and reasons for being there had nothing to do with Aurora. One of the reasons I do stat blocks over on the R&S board is to have characters to pull out when needed for these situations.

2. The devils had a telepathic conversation going. This would be ripe with intrigue and vicious snarking. While not faked, this was deliberately a ploy in case Aurora used a telepathy tap or similar means to listen in. A third means of communication was being used for serious coordination, one hidden by stealth more than power. This wasn't needed and the devils largely wasted cleverness there. Too bad, I had all sorts of dialogue mentally prepped for it.

3. This was probably the one and only chance to save Muirfinn barring managing to capture Lixer or something else exceptional. Congratulations! I'm thrilled to see Muirfinn (and Vivantha) get a happy ending. As the DM I have to be mean, but it doesn't mean I want to see y'all fail. I hope the price is one Creation can bear.

Anyway, attacking Nessus head on is a nonstarter. It's not as impossible as say Chronias since the very act of attacking Chronias is inherently futile, but the difference is vanishingly small.

4. Duke Malphas's representative would have tried to talk up Afina if she wasn't so barbed and aloof. Professional chat is a good a way as any to get your foot into the door.

5. As a general policy, I've been avoiding divine rank for B3 PCs and allies. That's really B1's gig and B3 has enough moving parts without that. If a PC or an NPC somehow obtain it they'd likely be shuffled out of the game. The exceptions are Baleruk and the proxy template. The latter of which could be gotten by a few of you and grants a fleeting DvR0. There is however a secret third exception and finding it is fair game. If you're really on the ball and put some pieces together (OOC here, not worrying about IC knowledge) from various things in B3 and other things I've written, you can make a pretty good guess as to how.

6. Level ups are coming soon, before any planned action on Benfal. Be prepared. Merry Christmas.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

So with Gytha's demiplane, Aurora has more space and a big old ocean to use. What do you all want to do with it? NPC suggestions follow.

The demiplane can be reached by the gate at Aurora's front gate or at the portal hub in the entrance hall. It can return to both spots, though Elena or Galariel can change this in times of defense as needed.

1. Storage for a navy since Jaela's starting one.

2. Refuge for the water elementals and any aquatic creatures. Would help using purely aquatic creatures since they'd have a suitable habitat in Aurora.

3. Construct a small town to center things on, built on docks at the shoreline. Likewise, an underwater village is suggested.

4. Emergency food supply via fishing, kelp harvest and so forth.

Gytha's labs are likewise here but will be covered IC later on.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

All of this works. We'll figure out more as we go.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Nephrite

Does it need to be populated with fish and so on first?

Yuthirin

Really it's an attached ocean demiplane. We should be able to do everything. We have a large number of citizens, and we don't need to directly supervise everything.

Nephrite

Is the calling function of gate allowed, but with a 10,000 GP pricetag?

Anastasia

In this game, we use gate to summon allies from Aurora. Easier for me to manage, plus it fits the nature of the game.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite