News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Paste me what you got from that book?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Iron Dragoon

It was one of these two:

The Defectors

This book is an in depth study of how Mechanus improves its Inevitables with each successive generation. The focus is on The Defectors, a group of Inevitables that study each generation and make suggestions to reduce defects, hence the name. It is a dense but interesting read, as it naturally builds on itself and draws the reader in through that. You find yourself following and improving and learning from the processes. On one hand, it's strangely distasteful. On the other, you can see how effective it is and how his mind begins to follow the patterns and anticipate where the book is going. You aren't sure what will happen if you keep going and doing this.

Your call if you continue to read, Surraruthru.

The Coming Storm

This book is centered around the Prophecy of Primus and what it believes to be the coming final days of Creation. The first part goes into the Prophecy of Primus, which is a vast calculation by the ruler of Mechanus known as Primus. The result of his calculations decree that Shar will triumph and bring everything to oblivion. From there, the book goes into detail, with every realm crumbling away in a catastrophic, meaningless war that only brings ruin.

The end result is void, now and forever. The last breath of a living creature ceases and all is still. There is nothing, no life, no light, no sound and no movement. An emptiness that will never end and that is the final fate of everything. In this there is no escape and no appeal, only Shar's final victory.

The book claims the only hope is to overthrow law in all forms. Chaos cannot be stopped and will not be stilled. Left unchecked, it will rise as a force to stop Shar and ensure Creation's continued life. So long as law continues, the final stagnation of nothingness is inevitable.

I can't find the exact post, but I got a +2 bonus to K:Mechanus checks.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Vivantha reaches level 24.

- Lillend 24 and Lilliend Lyricist 3.
- 1 on a d8 for a total of 10 hit points and a grand total of 328 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 24.
- Caster level of her SLAs rise by 1.
- Gains song of flight. Not all that useful at this point, but still not a bad option. Sometimes you need wings.
- No change to saves.
- +1 Dexterity for a total of 28.
- Skills go up as normal.
- She gains the following feat: Epic Spell Capacity(24). This opens up her spellcasting, so time to add in epic bard casting.
- Vivantha gains 4 7th level spells and 1 8th level spell. She selects heal, hiss of sleep, limited wish and mass invisibility. Her 8th level spell is lion's roar.

Solid level up. Most of these will be.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Kascha reaches level 24.

- Ghaele 24 and Wyrm Wizard 14.
- 1 on a d8 for a total of 8 hit points and a grand total of 279 hit points.
- Spell resistance increases by 1 to 36.
- Gains another instance of spell knowledge. Kascha selects miracle of life.
- Kascha gains 1 10th level spell and 2 11th level spell slots. She aren't being filled yet since see below.
- No change to saves.
- +1 Intelligence for a total of 32.
- She gains the following feat: Improved Metamagic(24). This reduces all of her metamagic costs by 1, so this results in a lot of adjustments to her spell list.

Not a bad level up for her. Doesn't change her but it makes her a lot better at what she does.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

I totally forgot about SLA CLs and SR. Do those go up for me?

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on January 07, 2017, 01:13:09 AM
I totally forgot about SLA CLs and SR. Do those go up for me?

What's the source of your SR? As for SLA CLs, those equal your character level if they come from racial powers. So yes, those would rise since I think they're racial for you.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Quote from: Anastasia on January 06, 2017, 08:44:05 PM
Quote from: Ebiris on January 06, 2017, 05:36:43 PM
Level up summary, firesoul mage 9//scout 12

+16hp, +1 bab, bonus scout feat (blind-fight), +1 10th level spell per day, +1 11th level spell known (TBA), burning focus +3, gift of fire, skills. Sadly Afina has been forced to finally drop points into diplomacy. It is a dark day.

What does burning focus and gift of fire do?

Also, what sort of spell do you want for your 11th level spell?

Finally, why'd you put points into Diplomacy?

Burning focus increases the DC of my fire spells, gift of fire is an SLA I can use a number of times per day equal to my cha mod. It creates a 30 foot radius burst of fire that does my cha mod in d6s to enemies while giving allies weapons the flaming burst property for 5 + cha mod rounds.

Also I get +1 SR as well, thanks for the reminder Iddy.

Points went into diplomacy because she's getting into the nobility now.

As for the spell, I'm not sure. Something flashy and elemental themed fits the bill. I mean a self-buff would be nice and handy but I don't really know how to make something at that level, whereas blastiness never goes out of fashion.

Maybe some sort of elemental bombardment summon? Make a ranged touch attack to throw an elemental monolith at something for lots of damage, and then you also have a monolith around to punch them afterwards! Or have the monolith appear in a big radius elemental blast? Sure won't have any concentration duration though!

Or maybe something prismatic? The concept of the unbreakable barriers and such still works but the actual effects of the prismatic colours lag quite a bit at these levels, so maybe a better version of prismatic spray or something like that?

Anastasia

Hanna reaches level 24.

- Planetar 24 and Champion of Gwynharwyf 14.
- 1 on a d12 for a total of 10 hit points and a grand total of 364 hit points. Brutal rolling.
- Spell resistance rises by 1 to 38.
- Damage reduction - rises by 1 for a total of damage reduction 8/-.
- Gains 1 10th level spell slot, 1 domain 11th level slot and 1 11th level slot. She selects another celestial valor for her 10th level spell, while 11th level is an extended war's blessing for the domain slot and super dispelling for the other.
- Gains 1 5th level Champion of Gwynharwyf spell slot. She selects another cure critical wounds.
- No changes to saves.
- +1 Wisdom for a total of 31.
- She gains the following feat: Great Ability(Strength)(24). This puts her strength at 32.

Solid level. Hanna gets better at axing things, so that's a win for her.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on January 07, 2017, 08:47:34 AMBurning focus increases the DC of my fire spells, gift of fire is an SLA I can use a number of times per day equal to my cha mod. It creates a 30 foot radius burst of fire that does my cha mod in d6s to enemies while giving allies weapons the flaming burst property for 5 + cha mod rounds.

Simmer approves.

QuoteAs for the spell, I'm not sure. Something flashy and elemental themed fits the bill. I mean a self-buff would be nice and handy but I don't really know how to make something at that level, whereas blastiness never goes out of fashion.

Maybe some sort of elemental bombardment summon? Make a ranged touch attack to throw an elemental monolith at something for lots of damage, and then you also have a monolith around to punch them afterwards! Or have the monolith appear in a big radius elemental blast? Sure won't have any concentration duration though!

Or maybe something prismatic? The concept of the unbreakable barriers and such still works but the actual effects of the prismatic colours lag quite a bit at these levels, so maybe a better version of prismatic spray or something like that?

Either of those could work. Go ahead and narrow it down a bit for me to what you want and I'll work with that.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Oh, while levelling up I'd also like to swap out Ray of Deanimation for Spell Enhancer (spell compendium p198). It's a swift action for +2 CL and +1 DC on your next spell.

Afina needs to get in on that increasing your caster level game and that's a solid start.

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on January 07, 2017, 09:17:22 AM
Oh, while levelling up I'd also like to swap out Ray of Deanimation for Spell Enhancer (spell compendium p198). It's a swift action for +2 CL and +1 DC on your next spell.

Afina needs to get in on that increasing your caster level game and that's a solid start.

Alrighty then.

How terrifying.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I'm not sure what the proper level for this spell should be, so feel free to modify. I also don't know if it's too strong!

Acoustics
Transmutation (Evocation?)
Level: Bard 7 (8?),
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 50 ft burst, centered on you
Target: You
Duration: 1 min./level (D)

This spell creates an area of magical energy that empowers bardic music. As long as you are heard within this area, your bardic music continues to affect you and your allies as if you were continuing to maintain it. If you or your allies leave this area, then the standard amount of time takes effect as if you had stopped using your bardic music.

Heck, here's another one since I'm bored.

Good Hope, Greater
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 7 (8?)
Components:   V, S
Casting Time:   1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: One living creature/level, no two of which may be more than 30 ft. apart
Duration:   1 min./level
Saving Throw:   Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This spell functions as good hope, except the targets receive +4 morale bonuses.

In addition, those affected by this spell receive the benefits of heart's ease.

If It ends up being Bard 8 then the morale bonus could probably go to +5.

Ebiris

Call Wild Hunt, Lesser
Conjuration (Calling)
Level: Sor/Wiz 11, Drd 11
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft+5ft/2 levels)
Effect: One called creature
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This powerful calling summons one of the Wild Hunt's hounds to do the caster's bidding. The creature serves faithfully and will obey orders from the summoner at all times unless directly overridden by the Master of the Hunt.

To cast this spell safely, a pact with Seelie or Unseelie Court is required. This pact must be made in the presence of a noble fey of at least 21 HD. The pact requires offering something of material or spiritual worth to the Court in question. As a rule of thumb, no less than 100,000 gold should be acceptable, though deeds or services of an immaterial nature are often preferred. If this spell is cast without such a pact in place, it ranges from failing to various levels of backfiring. In certain cases it may work as normal if the interests of the caster and his intentions serve fey-kind, but this is rare.

Calling this a lesser version since you only get one hound. I figure there could be a 15th level or so spell that summons the master plus a random number of hounds, but that's a matter for another time.

Anastasia

Canderella reaches level 24.

- Succubus 24 and Marshal 10.
- 1 on a d8 for a total of 8 hit points and a grand total of 284 hit points.
- Spell resistance rises by 1 to 34.
- Caster level of her SLAs rises by 1.
- Caster level of her sorcerer spells rises by 1. More on this below.
- No change to saves.
- +1 Constitution for a total of 20. Grand total of 308 hit points now.
- Skills go up as usual.
- She gains the following feat: Epic Spell Capacity(24). This grants her 2 10th level spells known. She selects energy immunity and...nothing fits. To the custom spell-mobile.

Canderella's Sudden Thunderbolts
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Sor/Wiz 10
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Target: 1 creature/level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

Each creature you select with the range of the spell is struck by a thunderbolt from above, which deals 1d6 points of electricity damage per caster level (maximum 20d6).

Anyway, the main draw of this spell is that it lacks the within 30ft part most spells like this has. Every enemy within the range can be targeted, up to her caster level.

Solid level.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on January 07, 2017, 08:34:29 AM
What's the source of your SR? As for SLA CLs, those equal your character level if they come from racial powers. So yes, those would rise since I think they're racial for you.

Half-Celestial: Spell resistance equal to creature's HD + 10 (maximum 35). So yeah, should go up.

Speaking of, I'm now capped at 35. How do I increase my cap?