"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on January 08, 2017, 02:01:54 PM
I need two lvl11 spells and nothing fits.  :(

Any preferences on spell type, niche to be filled or anything like that? I can blindfire spells out, but it's quicker if you give me something to work with.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on January 08, 2017, 05:20:58 PM
Dune, I found the spell you were thinking of -- it's called Lingering Chorus, it's from Complete Mage.

So I guess the spell would be Greater Lingering Chorus, but this is a temporary one for you to look at to compare.

Lingering Chorus, Greater
Illusion (Figment)
Level: Bard 8,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: A chorus of phantasmal voices
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell functions as Lingering Chorus, except it can maintain any number of your bardic musics, even if you are not currently maintaining them, as long as they are still affecting you or your allies.

Okay. I have a few concerns about it but let's try this. They're mostly along the lines of shenanigans about stopping bardic musics and or combining lingering song or whatever the epic feat is and getting crazy. It's probably okay, though. It also needs some clarification on a point. When a music is no longe rmaintained from you and the effects persist, they're on a time limit. Say one's like that for a few rounds and then you cast this spell. Afterwards, do you mean for the post-maintaining duration to reset back to full?

Greater Lingering Chorus
Illusion (Figment)
Level: Brd 8

This spell is functions as lingering chorus, except as noted here. It can maintain any number of your bardic musics, even if you are not currently maintaining them, as long as they are still affecting you or your allies.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

So Balyss took this spell.

Selune's Sight
Transmutation
Level: Clr 11, Drd 11, Rgr 9
Components: V, S, M, special
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The touched creature's vision improves greatly. They gain low-light vision and darkvision 120ft. Within moonlight, the creature sees as clearly as bright daylight and as if under true seeing.

This spell is a mark of Selune's favor and is not known outside of her faith, in part due to the special requirement to cast it.

Special

This spell can only be cast by those that have the Initiate of Selune feat.

Material Component

Moonstone gems worth at least 10,000 gold.

This can be yours if you fork over the 10k for material components. She'll cast it for anyone in Selune's favor, and most everyone in Aurora qualifies. Note it's instantaneous so it can't be dispelled.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on January 08, 2017, 11:08:55 PM

Okay. I have a few concerns about it but let's try this. They're mostly along the lines of shenanigans about stopping bardic musics and or combining lingering song or whatever the epic feat is and getting crazy. It's probably okay, though. It also needs some clarification on a point. When a music is no longe rmaintained from you and the effects persist, they're on a time limit. Say one's like that for a few rounds and then you cast this spell. Afterwards, do you mean for the post-maintaining duration to reset back to full?

Greater Lingering Chorus
Illusion (Figment)
Level: Brd 8

This spell is functions as lingering chorus, except as noted here. It can maintain any number of your bardic musics, even if you are not currently maintaining them, as long as they are still affecting you or your allies.

Let's say I start Inspire Courage on Round 1, then on Round 2 start Inspire Greatness and Inspire Heroics via Harmonize. On Round 3, I would then cast this, and it would maintain all three -- I realize the issue with shenanigans, but I would argue that bard 8 isn't exactly a common level to be able to get to in the first place. For what it's worth he's taking Lingering Song as a feat to replace Doomspeak, so under normal circumstances it'd just be for emergencies where he's going to need to do a lot more than singing.

If there's a significant concern you could say it can only support 2 songs, but in that case it'd probably be Bard 7?

Anastasia

Crystal reaches level 24.

- Ranger 20 and Defender of the Natural World 10.
- 5 on a d10 for a total of 10 hit points and a grand total of 247. Crystal really needs to fit toughness in there somewhere.
- +1 BAB for a total of 24.
- +1 spell resistance for a total of 37.
- Caster level of her SLAs rise by 1.
- Gains a new favored enemy and a +2 bonus to an old one. First of all, she boosts evil to +6. Only makes sense. Secondly, she selects constructs, as smite favored enemy will let her smite them, which makes her much more effective there. Plus, let's just keep it honest here, it's only a matter of time until Afina's golems go amok and turn everything into a post apocalyptic disaster. Think zombies but with golems instead.
- Gains combined magic. This combines her spell pools into one whole and adds a few other benefits.
- +1 5th level slot. She selects owl's insight. It's technically a paladin slot but she can fill it with a ranger spell, so she does.
- +1 4th level slot. She'll grab another freedom of movement for now.
- No change to saves.
- +1 Charisma.
- She selects the following feat: Tougnhness(24). Time to bite down and get that, so Hope doesn't go kaput by her dying.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Anastasia on July 10, 2016, 05:44:51 PM
Crystal goes from effective ranger level 21 to 22. No change to Hope's stats.
Crystal goes from effective paladin level 22 to 23. No change to Hope's stats.

Next level gets an animal companion boost, but paladin boost is a few away.

Last time's refresher, so it's easier for me to track this.

Crystal goes from effective ranger level 22 to 23. No change to Hope's stats, miscounted by 1 last level.
Crystal goes from effective paladin level 23 to 24. No change to Hope's stats, that's at level 26.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Going through my equipment and wanted to double check on this: Does a mask take up both of these slots or just one?

* One headband, hat, helmet, or phylactery on the head
* One pair of eye lenses or goggles on or over the eyes

It feels like it should go in the second slot, but wearing a mask and wearing a hat seems like... uh... weird, to me.

Iron Dragoon

Dune, think I'm going to go with Elemental Body for my Tapestry spell. Afina won't get a ton out of it, but the immunities it offers and bonuses for basically everyone else are just too solid to really pass up.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Mirima reaches level 24.

- Fighter 14 and Arcane Duelist 14.
- 1 o a d10 for a total of 8 hit points and a grand total of 307 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 22.
- Enchant chosen weapon rises to +6. Always nice and shiny.
- No change to saves.
- +1 Charisma for a total of 29.
- Skills go up as normal.
- She selects the following feats: Great Ability(Charisma)(24), Greater Weapon Specialization(F14). The fighter bonus feat also gives her +1 saves and +1 CMB/CMD thanks to her ring.

Not the worst level, she got +3 Charisma.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Favored Soul spell pickups just for the record:

4: Planar Tolerance
5: Wall of Stone
6: Greater Heroism Find the Path
7: Greater Plane Shift, Shield of the Archons, Fortunate Fate

Corwin

[21:16] <@Rin> I'm hoping to chat about stuff and maybe get some ideas, so whenever you're up for it
[21:21] <@Kotono> Okay, do you at least have any niches or things you need?
[21:30] <@Rin> Last time we took care of an anti-devil spell and a 'stop running away' spell
[21:31] <@Rin> Gae Assail is pretty good for a single target, especially with targets I don't like
[21:33] <@Rin> A large-scale anti-army spell might be nice
[21:33] <@Rin> Something with earthquake and sunburst's range or beyond
[21:34] * @Kotono nods.
[21:34] <@Kotono> So something anti army. Anything else?
[21:34] <@Rin> Maybe light?
[21:35] <@Rin> Say battlefield control with light?
[21:35] <@Rin> Vul'lath made that multiple moments of prescience spell
[21:35] <@Rin> So something that lets me make walls of force for the duration?
[21:35] <@Kotono> That's an idea too.
[21:35] <@Rin> Or prismatic ones? Or whichever
[21:36] * @Kotono nods.
[21:36] <@Rin> Like maybe one per round, free action
[21:36] <@Rin> Or an actual action, but controls/creates more than one
[21:36] * @Kotono nods again.
[21:38] <@Kotono> Okay, toss this conversation into nagging and I'll have it there when I get to this then.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Morniel reaches level 24.

- Throne Archon 24 and Master Ambassador 14.
- 6 on a d8 for a total of 17 hit points and a grand total of 374 hit points.
- +1 spell resistance to 36.
- Caster level of SLAs rises by 1.
- No change to saves.
- +1 Constitution for a total of 34. HP is now 398.
- He selects the following feat: Epic Master of Knowledge(24)

Morniel's levels are rarely impressive, but that's not his role anyway.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Mirajane reaches level 24.

- Divine Oracle 14 and Sentinel 23.
- 7 on a d10 for a total of 14 hit points and a total of 311 hit points.
- Spell resistance rises by 1 to 36.
- Caster level of her SLAs rises by 1 to 24.
- Trap sense rises by 1 to 25. Yahoo.
- Channel energy rises by 1 to 11d6.
- Gains 1 10th level and 3 11th level favored soul spells. She selects miracle of life for her 10th. For her 11th, she selects summon planetar, stigma and superb dispelling. Summon planetar and stigma are placeholders, I intend to have her make custom spells later. Just not right now due to time constraints.
- Gains 1 5th level sentinel spell. She selects life's grace.
- No change to saves.
- +1 Charisma for a total of 25.
- She selects the following feats: Epic Divine Might(24), Great Smiting(S23).

Solid level. More once I get her spells in order.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Arrel reaches level 24.

- Giant Eagle 15 and Aerial Avenger 14.
- 2 on a d8 for a total of 10 hit points and a grand total of 371 hit points.
- +1 BAB for a total of 22.
- DC of breath weapon and stunning fist rises by 1.
- Daily uses of stunning fist rises by 1.
- +1 to spell resistance for a total of 37.
- Death from above rises by 1 to +3.
- Momentum rises by 1 to +5.
- No change to saves.
- +1 Strength for a total of 36.
- He selects the following feats: Superior Initiative(24), Epic Vision of the Skies(AA14).
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Dune, would you approve of something along the lines of this:

Fey Blood (General)
You have one or more fey as ancestors, and as a result your druid powers come naturally to you rather than from any great insight into the nature of the world.
Prerequisites: Cha 11+, ability to speak the Sylvan language, humanoid or giant type.
Benefit: Your druid spellcasting powers are based on Charisma rather than Wisdom. To prepare or cast a druid spell, you must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the spell's level, and you gain bonus spells based on your Charisma score. The DC for saving throws against your druid spells is 10 + the spell's level + your Charisma modifier. This feat does not alter the means by which you prepare or cast druid spells; you must still prepare spells in advance, as normal. Because you are using your natural fey connection to nature as the conduit for your magical powers rather than any great insight, your spells are considered to be partially fey magic. Any druid of 4th level or higher with the Resist Nature's Lure class ability gains a +2 bonus to saving throws against your druid spells.
Special: You may only select this feat at 1st level, though you need not possess the druid class at that time. Your DM may limit this feat to certain appropriate races that would be likely to have crossbred with fey over the history of the campaign world.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.