News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on January 16, 2017, 08:26:38 PM
Casting these before we leave Aurora, so everyone connected to the tapestry gains them, the minutes/level duration spells will be cast last in order to make them extend the longest, listed at the end:

Create Magic Tattoo, CL 26, Duration 24 hours
+1 Luck Bonus on Attack Rolls

Create Magic Tattoo, CL 26, Duration 24 hours
+2 Competence bonus on Attack Rolls

Energy Absorption, CL 26, Duration 26 hours/expended
Spoiler: ShowHide
Subject gains Resistance 10 against all five energy types: Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, and Sonic.
As an immediate action, the subject can cause the spell to absorb the power of a single energy-based attack. The subject gains immunity to any energy types used in that attack (but only for that attack), and also heals a number of points of damage equal to 1/2 the damage the effect would normally have caused. For instance, if a red dragon breathes fire on the subject for 87 points of damage, he could decide as an immediate action to absorb the effect, thus healing 43 points of damage instead of taking any damage. Hit points in excess of the subject's normal maximum are lost. Taking advantage of this function ends the duration of the spell.

Elemental Body, CL 26, Duration 26 hours

You can transform your body into a particular type of elemental substance. You and your possessions appear to be made of that element, though in the same general shape and size as your normal appearance.
ou have the benefits of the attune form spell (page 17) with respect to the appropriate element. If you choose a water body, for example, you can breathe normally on water dominant planes. You are immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning, and are not subject to extra damage from critical hits or flanking. You gain darkvision out to 60 feet. Your creature type remains unchanged, so you are unaffected by spells that target elementals, but you gain the air, earth, fire, or water subtype depending on the elemental substance you chose.
Air: Fly at your normal speed (perfect maneuverability), air mastery (airborne creatures take a —1 penalty on attack rolls and damage rolls against you).
Earth: Earth mastery (you gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls if both you and your foe touch the ground), push (you can start a bull rush maneuver without provoking attacks of opportunity), +3 natural armor bonus to AC.
Fire: Fire immunity, burn (those you hit in melee and those who attack you with natural weapons must make a Reflex save or catch fire, with a save DC equal to that of a fire elemental of the same size).
Water: Water: Swim at your normal speed, water mastery (you gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls if both you and your opponent touch water), drench (you can use your elemental form to put out nonmagical open flames and dispel magical fire you touch as if casting dispel magic at your caster level).
The elemental body spell has the descriptor of the element you choose. So, if you choose a body of fire, elemental body is a fire spell.

Surraruthru's Stupendous Dragonskin, CL 26, Duration 26 hours
Grants you a +10 armor bonus to armor class and damage reduction 10/magic.

Agility of the Dragon Princess, CL 26, Duration 26 hours
The target of this spell gains a +4 insight bonus to Dexterity.

Strength of the Dragon Princess, CL 26, Duration 26 hours
The target of this spell gains a +4 insight bonus to Strength.

Mind of the Dragon Princess, CL 26, Duration 26 hours
The target of this spell gains a +4 insight bonus to Intelligence.

Mind Blank, CL 26, Duration 24 hours

The subject is protected from all devices and spells that detect, influence, or read emotions or thoughts. This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects. Mind blank even foils limited wish, miracle, and wish spells when they are used in such a way as to affect the subject’s mind or to gain information about it. In the case of scrying that scans an area the creature is in, such as arcane eye, the spell works but the creature simply isn’t detected. Scrying attempts that are targeted specifically at the subject do not work at all.

Stoneskin, CL 26, Duration 260 minutes
Subject gains DR 10/adamantine up to 150 points.

Spell Turning, CL 26, Duration 260 Minutes

Spells and spell-like effects targeted on you are turned back upon the original caster. The abjuration turns only spells that have you as a target. Effect and area spells are not affected. Spell turning also fails to stop touch range spells.
From seven to ten (1d4+6) spell levels are affected by the turning. The exact number is rolled secretly.
When you are targeted by a spell of higher level than the amount of spell turning you have left, that spell is partially turned. The subtract the amount of spell turning left from the spell level of the incoming spell, then divide the result by the spell level of the incoming spell to see what fraction of the effect gets through. For damaging spells, you and the caster each take a fraction of the damage. For nondamaging spells, each of you has a proportional chance to be affected.
If you and a spellcasting attacker are both warded by spell turning effects in operation, a resonating field is created.

Additionally, the below are pre-loaded into the Tapestry for activation as Quiescent Weaving:
Resist Energy, CL 26, Duration 260 Minutes. (4 castings)
Subject gains energy resistance to: Acid, Electricity, Fire, Sonic of 30 points.

This is relevant for all active PCs.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Nephrite

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on January 16, 2017, 08:01:47 PM
Everyone attached to the tapestry, I need you to tell me which of these elemental benefits you want (Afina excluded, she gets them all already anyway):

Air: Fly at your normal speed (perfect maneuverability), air mastery (airborne creatures take a —1 penalty on attack rolls and damage rolls against you).

Earth: Earth mastery (you gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls if both you and your foe touch the ground), push (you can start a bull rush maneuver without provoking attacks of opportunity), +3 natural armor bonus to AC.

Fire: Fire immunity, burn (those you hit in melee and those who attack you with natural weapons must make a Reflex save or catch fire, with a save DC equal to that of a fire elemental of the same size).

Water: Water: Swim at your normal speed, water mastery (you gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls if both you and your opponent touch water), drench (you can use your elemental form to put out nonmagical open flames and dispel magical fire you touch as if casting dispel magic at your caster level).

Moore would take the water one.

Anastasia

Dropping OOC notes in Cor/Eb's threads so they don't miss this.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Lesson learned: Including tapestry-ing in prep, so it isn't done at the last minute like this. This army battle has enough moving parts, so that should be one settled before I start making topics.

This is as much a note for myself as it is for Iddy.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

> So on the Contingency thing. Could I have a single Contingency spell activate different spells for different people since I have that class ability that lets me make decisions for different people?
<Kotono> I'd need to check contingency. Post that in nagging.

Class ability:
Flexible Tapestry (Su)
At 5th level, the grand weaver gains a greater control over his eldritch tapestry. When a spell requires decision making on your part, you may make the choice separately for each member of the tapestry.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

There's a a handful of favored soul ACFs posted to homebrew over on the R&S board. They're for followers of Alicia, Chauntea, Auril, Mephisto and Asmodeus. They're leftovers from a booster pack that didn't work out, hence being a bit scattershot and not directly related to B3.

Speaking of, any suggestions for a booster to work on? A theme, a class or mechanic is usually what it works around. The previous ones I've done are exalted feats, factotums, polymorph subschool spells and anti-teleportation measures.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on January 22, 2017, 02:01:25 PM
> So on the Contingency thing. Could I have a single Contingency spell activate different spells for different people since I have that class ability that lets me make decisions for different people?
<Kotono> I'd need to check contingency. Post that in nagging.

Class ability:
Flexible Tapestry (Su)
At 5th level, the grand weaver gains a greater control over his eldritch tapestry. When a spell requires decision making on your part, you may make the choice separately for each member of the tapestry.

RAW yes. However, contingency consumes the spell it makes contingent. Therefore each spell you apply would be expended.

The main thing isn't balance (it's a concern but the cap on spell level for contingency likely solves that), but slowdown in play. A bunch of different contingencies are going to slow you down to set up and slow me down to adjudicate.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on January 23, 2017, 01:22:28 AM
RAW yes. However, contingency consumes the spell it makes contingent. Therefore each spell you apply would be expended.

The main thing isn't balance (it's a concern but the cap on spell level for contingency likely solves that), but slowdown in play. A bunch of different contingencies are going to slow you down to set up and slow me down to adjudicate.

Alrighty!

Nephrite

Is it possible to make a Greater and Superior version of Spell Theft? (Complete Scoundrel, page 104)

Also, do you think we could make a Greater version of Harmonic Void?

Also, I'm looking into getting some more utility spells -- I'm not really worried too much about them being inaccessible right now, but here's a general idea:

*No SR
*No Save (I realize this will probably put it already in 10th or higher category)
*Some sort of short-term disable (stun for 1 round?)
*Some sort of drawback so it isn't just overpowered, like maybe it stuns the user for 2 rounds or something?

I'm willing to work with whatever, I could live with SR but no save if that might make it more in line.

EDIT: Also, are the Aurora projects still in progress? Do we need rolls there or something?

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Nephrite on January 25, 2017, 07:58:27 PM
Is it possible to make a Greater and Superior version of Spell Theft? (Complete Scoundrel, page 104)

Reaving Dispel.

Nephrite

Dune: Would it be reasonable to make Reaving Dispel a Brd 8 spell? Spell Thief is Brd 4 to Sorc/Wiz 5.

Yuthirin

I want to summon Cthulhu.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on January 25, 2017, 08:55:02 PM
Dune: Would it be reasonable to make Reaving Dispel a Brd 8 spell? Spell Thief is Brd 4 to Sorc/Wiz 5.

That's cool, it fits how dispels work for bards. Consider it a Brd 8 spell.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on January 25, 2017, 09:40:49 PM

Cthulhu doesn't exist in Balmuria. Something reasonably similar to him could perhaps be pulled from the Far Realm, though this introduces a plethora of difficulties. Creation's designed to keep the Far Realm out, as the Far Realm unravels reality. Spells and rituals to do so are the province of the maddest of madmen, many of whom are obliterated without warning as they follow this path. Those that succeed find their success extremely short lived, as being confronted with something like the Angel of Last Resort, Zaphkiel's Blessing or Salandariel is the likely outcome. Should you somehow overcome those, you'll likely face deities themselves taking the battlefield, even if destroys a Prime Material world.

If you succeed in spite of that and triumph over those odds, your reward is watching reality crumble and getting a fist bump from Shar before you return to oblivion forever.

That image made that entire bit of wordiness worth it.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on January 25, 2017, 09:53:56 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on January 25, 2017, 09:40:49 PM

Cthulhu doesn't exist in Balmuria. Something reasonably similar to him could perhaps be pulled from the Far Realm, though this introduces a plethora of difficulties. Creation's designed to keep the Far Realm out, as the Far Realm unravels reality. Spells and rituals to do so are the province of the maddest of madmen, many of whom are obliterated without warning as they follow this path. Those that succeed find their success extremely short lived, as being confronted with something like the Angel of Last Resort, Zaphkiel's Blessing or Salandariel is the likely outcome. Should you somehow overcome those, you'll likely face deities themselves taking the battlefield, even if destroys a Prime Material world.

If you succeed in spite of that and triumph over those odds, your reward is watching reality crumble and getting a fist bump from Shar before you return to oblivion forever.

That image made that entire bit of wordiness worth it.

No no! No! You've got it all wrong! Cthulhu just wants to be your friend!

It's the ponies you have to watch out for.