News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on February 23, 2017, 11:16:07 PM
Question on Disjunction. I read the houserules on it, but nowhere do I see a CL check cap on it. Does it cap at +40 like Superb Dispel?

Check for magic disjunction in the Spell Collection, 9th level. The cap is +30.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Silver and Gold

This is a love story between a gold and silver dragon. They are forbidden to meet by their great wyrm parents and conduct a secret romance as shapechanged humans in an adventuring party. The tone is light, comedic and breezy. Nothing deep here, just a fun story for the sake of a fun story. It all works out well and in the end love triumphs and they get together. There's no great magic to it other than the magic of having a good read, but perhaps that is enough.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Encyclopedia of Encyclopedias

This book is all about training your mind to be the greatest font of knowledge in Creation. Why rely on books and ancient scrolls when you can use your mind? It's madness! What follows are a series of strange mental exercises. They involve odd symbols that seem to crawl about the page and change themselves, as well as illustrations that only make sense for a few moments before becoming something else. The book claims they make your mind much more powerful and into the truest, purest encyclopedia, full of all the knowledge of Creation.

These exercises are strange but a test run of the first suggests there may be something to them. You'd have to spend some time trying the exercises to find out more.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on February 24, 2017, 01:14:11 AM
Silver and Gold

This is a love story between a gold and silver dragon. They are forbidden to meet by their great wyrm parents and conduct a secret romance as shapechanged humans in an adventuring party. The tone is light, comedic and breezy. Nothing deep here, just a fun story for the sake of a fun story. It all works out well and in the end love triumphs and they get together. There's no great magic to it other than the magic of having a good read, but perhaps that is enough.

Surraruthru will give this to Kascha. He knows she'll love it.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on February 24, 2017, 01:26:59 AM

This book is all about training your mind to be the greatest font of knowledge in Creation. Why rely on books and ancient scrolls when you can use your mind? It's madness! What follows are a series of strange mental exercises. They involve odd symbols that seem to crawl about the page and change themselves, as well as illustrations that only make sense for a few moments before becoming something else. The book claims they make your mind much more powerful and into the truest, purest encyclopedia, full of all the knowledge of Creation.

These exercises are strange but a test run of the first suggests there may be something to them. You'd have to spend some time trying the exercises to find out more.

Surraruthru will study this book like it's a paying job.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on February 24, 2017, 01:50:59 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 24, 2017, 01:26:59 AM

Surraruthru will study this book like it's a paying job.

Int check.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Quote[10:55] <@Rin> Sylvie will do the 9 primary rolls, receiving +2x2 to each from 2 people aiding. Let's use her floating feat for Mentor to give +2 more to Spellcraft and K:A.
[10:56] <@Rin> Add long range spell capacity (Allows casting spells through Medicant and through the illusionary battlefield) 400,000 gold; 5 DC 50 spellcraft checks; 4 DC 50 K:A check; 10 days.
[10:57] <@Rin> roll 5#1d20+53+4+2 spellcraft
[10:57] <Serith> Rin roll for Serith < 62, 73, 76, 69, 63 >
[10:58] <@Rin> roll 4#1d20+60+4+2 knowledge:arcana
[10:58] <Serith> Rin roll for Serith < 70, 82, 84, 74 >

Glorious!

Now, the refresher on the rules:

QuoteRepairs require a fair deal of money to do, as various magical reagents, supplies and so forth costs money. This also requires a market to buy these things in, but with greater planeshift and greater teleport at your disposal this is no great obstacle. The price is listed, along with the number of checks needed and the amount of time required.  Each day of work requires 8 hours of undivided attention. For the sake of buffs and other things to raise skill checks, they must apply for the entire eight hours. Barring a few hour/level spells this means that permanent stat boosters are fine and most other spells lack the duration to be helpful here. For every 3 points that you pass a check, the price of the upgrades is reduced by 1%. Likewise, for every 3 points that you fail a check, the price of the upgrades increases by 1%. For each person making a check, you can have two people aiding another. They must work for 8 hours as well and fulfill all other conditions.

QuoteImprove laboratories (50% discount on magical items; 25% discount on repairs/improvements): 250,000 gold; 1 DC 65 K:A check; 1 DC 65 spellcraft check; 1 DC 60 C:A check; 2 days.

So, the tally!
Spellcraft passes the DC by 12, 23, 26, 19, 13. That's a 4+7+8+6+4 = 29% discount.
K:A passes the DC by 20, 32, 34, 24. That's a 6+10+11+8 = 35% discount.

Since we waited ridiculously long until doing this upgrade, it's now super-easy and super-cheap! Our discount comes up to 89%!

We pay: 44,000gp (11% of 400,000gp) from the Aurora fund. Neph, please update it?

Dune, I also noticed that under Aurora upgrades, this section isn't bolded out:

Add scrying capacity (Shows location of nearest portal): 80,000 gold; 2 DC 32 spellcraft checks; 1 DC 32 K:A check; 7 days*.

It's in two places, but it's the same upgrade so once we paid for it for the illusionary battlefield it should be paid up for the portal scanning, too.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Nephrite

Quote from: Corwin on February 24, 2017, 05:17:07 AM
Speaking of the Aurora Fund, Neph, I believe you missed this: http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101784.msg1089185/topicseen.html#msg1089185

Okay, I will fix that.

As an addition to Sylvie's Rolls:

Moore will boost anyone he can with Shared Talent (+2 untyped), Inspire Competence (+8 morale) and Song of Fortune (+5 untyped)for a total of +15 to their roll. If he can only do one or two he'll pick the A&E roll and the K:A rolls to boost them higher.

He also has a once a day +5 insight bonus if that's allowed to be factored in.

Corwin

I think the rolls are good enough as is  >_>

Nephrite

Okay, but I have a job and would like to make sure it gets put to use. :) There's no reason not to hit all epic skill checks if we can.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on February 24, 2017, 03:01:01 AM
Int check.

> roll 1d20+9 Int dontscrewmepls
<Serith> IronDragoon roll for Serith < 20 > [d20=11]

Anastasia

Lost Lore of the Abyss: The Quartered Lion

This series of books is written with a great deal of repetition and reinforcement. The entire writing style is highly ordered, as a preface explains this is desirable to better hold the often mutable lore of chaos.

The Quartered Lion was once known as the Lion Knight. A brave champion who defied the Abyss again and again, he ultimately took the mantle of a hellreaver and went to the Abyss to challenge the demons on their home ground. It is known he ultimately failed, falling in battle to Orcus. The demon prince was unwilling to let the knight's soul go free, so he took it and the knight's broken body. Arms and legs were removed and replaced lifeless grafts from an undead dire lion. In his spite, Orcus raised the knight as an undead nightmare and loosed his now corrupted soul out into Thanatos.

The Quartered Knight is a dreadful opponent. He wears ruined plate mail and has a pair of lion's maws for arms and lion's legs for legs. He attacks his enemies viciously and tears them apart with his twin maws. He grows stronger and fatter with each one, now a great round mass that reeks of death. He wanders Thanatos, an object of amusement for the greater demons and undead that rule that horrid place.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Archfiend's Grimoire

This book is analysis and discussion of corrupt magic. The book itself is sanctified, the pages anointed with holy water and the words written with a luminous gold ink that sparkles in the light. Nonetheless you feel a sense of dread as you begin to read the book.

Corrupt magic is magic that offers some of the caster's essence to evil in exchange for horrific effects. It is the opposite of sanctified magic and exists only to cause suffering and promote evil. The use of it is the hallmark of a soul wholly immersed in wickedness, for only the most vile can manage such magics. Examples of corrupt magic are myriad, with a few listed here. The ability to channel the powers of undead and fiends, the ability to damage a target's loved ones through a strike at the target, the ability to absorb a creature's power through cannibalism, calling on cursed weather and finally causing an miniature apocalypse that ravages miles.

The book recommends that should you come on a spell caster who uses such vile magic, that you slay them immediately. Do not trouble yourself with this loss of life, for it is merely sending a wicked soul to where they belong. They have made their choice. Do it to save all the innocents they would harm and lives they would ruin.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Wizard Mastery

This book is the summary of the potential of a wizard. The results of reading this book depend on how many wizard levels the reader has.

If read by someone with no levels in wizard, they take 1d4 points of Intelligence damage and are fatigued.

If read by someone with 1 to 19 levels of wizard, they suffer no ill effect but realize the book's contents are beyond them.

If read by someone with 20 or more levels in wizard, they may choose one of the benefits below.

Versatile Wizard: Select a wizard alternate class feature you do not possess. You gain this alternate class feature without having to trade other class features for it. You must fulfill any prerequisites it has to take it.
Metamagic Mastery: You gain any two metamagic feats as bonus feats. You must meet all the prerequisites of these feats.
Crafting Mastery: You gain any two item creation feats as bonus feats. You must meet all the prerequisites of these feats.

---

Iddy, you'd fall into the second category. You have...5 or 6 levels of base wizard? Enough not to be harmed but not enough to draw on the power of the book.
<Afina> Forever.