News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin

Quote from: Corwin on March 17, 2017, 09:43:50 AM
Dune, I'd like your opinion on this.

First, is it reasonable to have a better simulacrum spell? One that does 4/5HD or 3/4HD (and maybe caps at 20HD to not go to epic) instead of 1/2HD?
Can it be an actual body instead of made from ice? If the reason is how healing spells can't affect a simulacrum, it can remain that way due to magical reasons. After all, it's not like repair spells work on simulacrum.

Second, the banned ice assassin purports to be an improved simulacrum. One of the differences in their writeups made me wonder the following about simulacrum: "The ice assassin possesses all the skills, abilities, and memories possessed by the original". There's nothing similar in the simulacrum entry, though presumably skills and abilities are covered by the following from said entry: "It appears to be the same as the original, but it has only one-half of the real creature's levels or Hit Dice (and the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD)."
Does the creature made with simulacrum have your memories? How about your personality? Is it up to you? Or is it a robot with a blank slate in the original spell?

Third, simulacrum is a different creature that you can order around. I recall that you mentioned an avatar spell at lvl19. Is having a weaker body avatar of yourself that much better than having a separate creature with a weaker body of yourself?
Would an improved simulacrum be more or less expensive if it just provided a weaker body for you to drive rather than a younger sibling to travel alongside you?

Reminder! I don't think you got a chance to address this?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Iron Dragoon

Improve suites (You and anyone else who gets one lives in high magical luxury) ---> 50,000 gold; 1 DC 30 spellcraft check; 1 DC 30 K:A&E check; 12 days

I wish to fund this. I can make the Spellcraft and K:A checks with a take 10, but I dunno what the K:E is. I don't have it, at least.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

K:A&E is Architecture and Engineering.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Iron Dragoon

Corwin

Let's split the costs!

If I don't die to shitty 'loths I can make the check when I return. Alternately, Sylvie can make all the checks.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Corwin on March 31, 2017, 08:25:29 AM
Let's split the costs!

If I don't die to shitty 'loths I can make the check when I return. Alternately, Sylvie can make all the checks.

For the sake of expediency let's have Sylvie do it. How much do you want to toss in for?

Corwin

I was figuring we split it evenly? The exact amount depends on Sylvie's rolls due to possible discounts.

Iron Dragoon

Nephrite

A Huge Victory over the forces of Hell in Benfal!

Spoiler: ShowHide

By Moore of Aurora

Shocking news from the plane of Benfal recently, as Aurora and Sylica combined their forces to topple Hell's grip on this plane.

At approximately [Whatever it was local time] The massive demiplane known as Aurora appeared in the middle of the city of Elons Rapid. Forces quickly fanned out to start a rush of attacks against the devilish forces of Semyaza. The operation was split into three, each given their own mission and duties.

The forces of Aurora, combined with the support of Sylica's agents, quickly tore through devil resistance in the major parts of Benfal. After a few hours of pressing this advantage, the leaders of Sylica engaged Semyaza in combat.

Though this combat cannot be shared, the results speak for themselves: Benfal was liberated from Hell's clutches and ascended to Elysium, where rebuilding efforts are currently underway.

Aurora's strategy fells a paragon of the dogai!

In tandem with the assault on Benfal, the forces of Hell set a dogai paragon assassin onto many of the officers of Aurora. There were several casualties as a result of his insidious plots and plans. In response to this, the forces of Aurora came up with several countermeasures.

Various officers and groups were involved in chipping away at this assassin's ability to fight them, which ended up resulting in a skirmish near the end of the operation.

Details are sketchy on what exactly happened, but some witnesses spoke of a massive explosion and a woman of heavenly light (author's note: this should be Jaela of Aurora) and a fantastic rainbow of colors (author's note: Likely Afina Devilsbane of Aurora) facing the dogai which eventually led to its defeat.

Twin Terrors of Hell fall from grace!

By Moore of Aurora

One cannot forget how an assault on a place like Benfal could be stymied by only one or two powerful individuals. This was the case when the forces of Aurora faced off against Hiya and Hiwa, the giant offspring of Semyaza.

Details on this particular fight are sketchy as well -- it seems that the two were trying to cut off the sunlight that began pouring in moments after the assault began.

Aurora's forces were quickly dispatched to face these two. Like previous reports, witnesses state they saw gleaming light and rainbows high in the air slightly before some magical gear apparently came falling from the sky.

Suffice to say, the two were defeated in combat with Aurora's officers -- this was a major turning point for the operation on Benfal and likely allowed for Sylica's forces to continue to push in without as much resistance.

Corwin

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on March 30, 2017, 09:56:56 PM
Improve suites (You and anyone else who gets one lives in high magical luxury) ---> 50,000 gold; 1 DC 30 spellcraft check; 1 DC 30 K:A&E check; 12 days

I wish to fund this. I can make the Spellcraft and K:A checks with a take 10, but I dunno what the K:E is. I don't have it, at least.

QuoteFor every 3 points that you pass a check, the price of the upgrades is reduced by 1%.

QuoteImprove laboratories (50% discount on magical items; 25% discount on repairs/improvements)

[20:22] <@Rin> roll 1d20+57 Sylvie, spellcraft, aided x2
[20:22] <Serith> Rin roll for Serith < 71 > [d20=14]
[20:23] <@Rin> roll 1d20+59 Tepen, K:A&E, aided x2
[20:23] <Serith> Rin roll for Serith < 77 > [d20=18]

13% from Spellcraft + 15% from L:A&E + 25% overall = 53%

Improve suites (You and anyone else who gets one lives in high magical luxury) ---> 23,500gp/50,000gp

17,750gp for Jaela
17,750gp for Surraruthru

Surraruthru also gets a suite of high magical luxury instead of his double suite.

Corwin

Dune, weapon upgrade questions to you!

I'm inquiring about the feasibility of these weapon enchantments:

Blurstrike (+2), swift action activation/first attack is vs flat-footed, 10 activations per day. MIC p30.
Impaling (+1), swift action, 3/day treat attack as touch attack. MIC p37.
Shadowstrike (+5,000gp), swift action, 1/day extend reach by 5ft and deny defender dex to AC. MIC p43.
Wrathful Healing (+3 enhancement, Enemies & Allies p. 20)
Vicious (+1d6 damage to self/+2d6 damage to opponent)

I also have a few questions about posted epic weapons:

Holy Devastator
In the hands of any character other than a paladin, this sword performs as a +3 holy longsword. In the hands of a paladin, this weapon functions as a +7 longsword of holy power and grants a +5 sacred bonus on the wielder's saving throws against spells with the evil descriptor or spells cast by evil characters. If the paladin wielder smites evil with the holy devastator, he or she adds twice his or her paladin level to damage (rather than his or her paladin level). Market Price: 320,000 gold. Spells used: holy aura, holy smite, holy word.

Can it be a longspear or a lance? Does it count as a +7 weapon for the purpose of adding more buffs to it?

QuoteSouldrinker
This +6 bastard sword bestows 2d4 negative levels on its target whenever it deals damage, just as if its target had been struck by the energy drain spell. Each negative level bestowed grants the wielder 5 temporary hit points. One day after being struck, the subject must make a Fortitude save (DC 25) for each negative level or lose a level. If this sword's power causes a character to have negative levels at least equal to his or her current level, the character is instantly slain and the wielder gains an additional 10 temporary hit points. Temporary hit points gained from this weapon last for a maximum of 1 hour. Market Price: 550,000 gold. Spells used: energy drain.

Ominous-sounding name aside, it's not actually evil by the looks of it? Also, how does the slaying part work? If I shot a dude with tons of energy drain and hit him with a Holy Power weapon, this can finish them off? Or it refers only to negative levels from the sword itself?

Finally, a nonepic weapon question.

Lathander something parts with sunblades. Presumably he is the only authority if I wanted one? Do they have to be actual swords, or can it be a sunlance/sunspear? Could they then be enchanted further?

Corwin

Since it's come up, how would an everdancing weapon work?

Some parts of this aren't clear to me. It would attack with my BAB and save with my saves. But does it benefit from my strength score? My spear-wielding feats? My spells?

Corwin

Anastasia

Comments back to Neph on this.

QuoteAt approximately [Whatever it was local time] The massive demiplane known as Aurora appeared in the middle of the city of Elons Rapid.

I generally avoid using time as a marker to describe things. Most mortals are in a more medieval frame of time keeping than modern. Saying things like mid morning or late afternoon's usually close enough for how they work. On a planar scale, not every plane has the same day-night cycle and there's no unified timekeeping shared across the planes. By and large, it's not a meaningful descriptor.  I'd suggest rewriting this to remove it. It's the same reason you don't see exact dates used in B3, as various planes and groups have different calendars. It's simply not worth the trouble and confusion to use those.

Also, you may need to decapitalize the, depending on how the revision looks.

QuoteDetails are sketchy on what exactly happened, but some witnesses spoke of a massive explosion and a woman of heavenly light (author's note: this should be Jaela of Aurora) and a fantastic rainbow of colors (author's note: Likely Afina Devilsbane of Aurora) facing the dogai which eventually led to its defeat.

I'd suggest naming Afina and Jaela flat out, rather than alluding to them. It's propaganda, the point of it is to build up your reputation. That includes enhancing the reputation of Aurora's forces and leaders.  Unless there's a salient reason not to do so, isn't one point of this to build Aurora's legend up?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?