News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Soul Guardians are up. Nothing too special, mostly a light mechanical and fluff exercise based around the idea of 'what would a max HD lantern archon do in Celestia anyway and why'.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

I'm going to post game two's pitch early since Iddy's chomping at the bit plus my vacation's going to be a little longer than anticipated. Game one's is still in development and will be awhile yet.

Balmuria 4 Side Story: Dungeon Survivor.
Players: 1-4
Themes: Survival, getting back on your feet, recovering after a tragedy.
Posting Style: Daily (except Sundays, which are optional and at each person's discretion). I'm not looking for getting everyone together for long posting runs or anything, but instead steady progress each day. 1-2 posts a person a day is entirely reasonable. Think slow and steady wins the race.
Level: 14.
Duration: None, as long or as short as it goes.

This game will focus around a handful of unfortunate souls who are kidnapped by an unseen slaad who plunges them into a dungeon and with only some of their starting gear. Can you survive the slaad's dungeon, escape and decide what to do next? Will you try to find your way home? Perhaps you'll wander and take on the life of an adventuring vagabond. Maybe you'll find a new place to grow roots...or simply meet your end as so many others have before you.

- This game will aim to be challenging and with a reasonable chance of character death.
- I want a medium level of optimization. Don't push too far or too hard or I'll tell you to tone it down.
- LA+0 races only, but I may allow a template to someone who is playing a weaker build. This is purely DM discretion, so talk to me before you set your heart on anything. You don't have to be a stock human or elf if you find something else +0 that works.
- As this is a Balmuria game, it uses those houserules. This includes gestalt, so bear that in mind. Likewise custom material from the R&S board is fair game, as well as even templates from the C&M topic, if you find one that fits and can talk me into it.
- Character generation will be two !rollchars on Serith or another !rollchar capable bot. This is 5d6 drop lowest two. Make sure I'm in the chat room and around when you roll or the rolls will not count. Once I'm there and you've rolled, I'll have you post them here (or on our board for that if that's set up already). I may allow a third roll if you really bungle the first two, but this is purely up to me and will likely depend on my mood at the time.

Go ahead and post if you have interest. This game is focused for Iddy and Yuth secondarily, but other people are welcome if they want to play.

Bonus links for reference

Balmuria Houserules: http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,103071.0.html
Homebrew: http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,103074.0.html
Characters and Monsters: http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,103072.0.html
Epic Level Rules (while I don't plan for this campaign to reach epic unless it runs long, you may encounter epic level creatures, thus a link for reference): http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,103118.0.html
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Sounds good. For reference, level 14 seems to be when MotUH finishes out, at the earliest. If anyone else hops in and their builds need another level or whatever, I'm good for it. I've got my build vaguely planned out to 20, just because I had the time.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Iron Dragoon

> !rollchar
<Serith> 1, 2, 4, 1, 3 = 9
<Serith> 4, 1, 5, 4, 3 = 13
<Serith> 6, 5, 6, 5, 2 = 17
<Serith> 3, 5, 4, 1, 6 = 15
<Serith> 4, 1, 5, 6, 6 = 17
<Serith> 6, 5, 2, 3, 2 = 14
<Serith> Iddy's Scores: 17, 17, 15, 14, 13, 9
> !rollchar
<Serith> 6, 1, 5, 5, 3 = 16
<Serith> 1, 1, 6, 2, 2 = 10
<Serith> 6, 1, 1, 5, 6 = 17
<Serith> 2, 2, 1, 5, 1 = 9
<Serith> 3, 3, 6, 3, 1 = 12
<Serith> 5, 5, 2, 4, 5 = 15
<Serith> Iddy's Scores: 17, 16, 15, 12, 10, 9
> Well shit. Guess it's 1.

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Neph: I meant to talk to you and you were on IRC tonight, but I didn't notice until you logged off. Failed my spot check. Bleh, I'll catch you next time.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Posting for Rat because he's on phone:

<Candide> I'll play because d&d is silly
<Candide> !rollchar
<Serith> 1, 6, 6, 3, 1 = 15
<Serith> 6, 1, 3, 1, 6 = 15
<Serith> 1, 2, 5, 4, 1 = 11
<Serith> 1, 3, 3, 4, 2 = 10
<Serith> 4, 6, 5, 6, 2 = 17
<Serith> 4, 5, 3, 2, 3 = 12
<Serith> Candide's Scores: 17, 15, 15, 12, 11, 10
<Candide> !rollchar
<Serith> 3, 5, 1, 5, 2 = 13
<Serith> 6, 3, 2, 4, 3 = 13
<Serith> 4, 2, 3, 4, 3 = 11
<Serith> 4, 2, 6, 1, 6 = 16
<Serith> 2, 6, 6, 4, 2 = 16
<Serith> 6, 2, 3, 6, 2 = 15
<Serith> Candide's Scores: 16, 16, 15, 13, 13, 11

I presume set two for the moment, but of course that pends Rat's say so.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Next up will be the following.

1. A bit more character analysis. I have a few more from B3 I'd like to go over.
2. Phaethons, an abomination. I have these mostly done from awhile ago, need to get back to them.
3. Part 3 of the Fall of Bel.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Question, what are the best ways to get a spell as an SLA?

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

I'm not perfect. If I was, I'd be hailing from a far more heavenly place.

Anyway, starting level is set at 14. Rat and Iddy, go ahead and post any questions you have here. I'm going to try and get a board up for this in a bit, but odds are we'll use the B4 board.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, B4's board has been refurbished, go ahead and move your stat rolls over there and move chatter about this game over to there.

There's still two slots open if anyone else wishes to join. In the meantime, Yuth, were you gonna be in this or is it still in the air? Or alternately for later?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, this post is going to be more informal because I'm looking for preferences between several options. First a dreaded IRC paste.

<Kobot> In other news, nagging posting of getting Iddy's side of things slowly set up so they have time to prepare, and game one will be up sometime next week, still polishing out a concept for a short game there.
<Kobot> The real problem is that my ideas are for long term games and I want a short bridge game so I have time to relax and possibly prep first.
<Kobot> I'm toying a little bit with making a B5 return if a brief one, some sort of essentially extended one shot punch out with Aurilites.
<Kobot> Or that diplo game idea.
<Kobot> But that really highlights the basic problem of feeling like I'm scavenging for a short term idea rather than a real game idea, y'know?
<Kobot> The sane thing to do would take a few more months off, but I don't want things lying fallow for that long. As much to keep me into it as much as to keep people together and gaming, which I feel is worth the time investment.
<Kobot> If I do the B5 idea, I may try a once weekly IRC game that's essentially one dungeon, a chance for everyone to pound down Aurilites. I dunno. Still really kicking the can around.
<Kobot> But honestly, there's a bit of an appeal running a one shot that's basically titled fuck Auril, y'know?
<Kobot> I mean, that could work but hm.
<Kobot> Downside is that I'd want you, Neph and Eb in at least, and I'm not sure Eb would want to return to B5, be it with Inari or another character. Kinda wanna keep the gang together there.
<Kobot> Could probably rope in a fourth, though, if I could get Eb in. Maybe the dread Cideon. I dunno, but four's probably about right for that sorta thing.
<Kobot> Also really depends on which day I run it on. I'd like to keep Sundays free if possible, but maybe Saturday or Friday? Hm.
<Kobot> Dammit, I'm talking myself into it, just going over it in my head and here. I have a bad habit of doing that.
<Kobot> Well, I'll talk to Eb about it as well as get my own things together, see about that, that diplo game or something else. I do need it settled pretty soon so I can prep that and then starting looking longer term.

On thinking about it and reflecting, the problem is this. I need some more time for a bigger game but I don't want us all killing that much time doing nothing. So I'm leaning towards an extended one shot with an old game, give everyone a chance for some fun. So I'm going to give all of you the following options, let me know which ones appeal to you.  Understand that this is for a short engagement for fun and to give me some extra time to do things.

Balmuria 2: One Last Job.

The B2 crew has a new job to take care of, one that will push them. Will candy and courage be enough to save the day, or is the time for Whimsical Sweets over?

Balmuria 5: Fuck Auril.

The B5 group has a lead on a hidden fortress of Aurilites. Your mission is to go in, kick their asses and give Auril the middle finger. Can you do this or is a long winter about to overcome Malana, this time for good?

Vastwoods: Mushroom Panic.

Y'all, last night Myann woke up in a panic that the mushrooms of the Vastwoods were all dying. What's worse is that the sun didn't rise this morning. So I reckon it's about time you dust off all that gear and go solve this problem.

Right now, I am very tentatively planning to run these once per week in an IRC session, date and time to be determined. This may change depending on how things develop.

Note that the B2 game won't involve Balyss, Sylvie and Simmer, they're off having adventures with Aurora (and can't come to Balmuria in Simmer's case anyway).

Levels would be where they left off, though B2 has an optional level bump if you want it, as Balyss gained more than a few levels between games. Up to y'all.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

I'd lean towards B2 or Vastwoods of those options.