News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

Loot thread 3: Booty, broads and booze!

Started by Anastasia, August 23, 2011, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

QuoteI'm claiming the Sash of Authority. I would like to understand the conditions of the secondary power better, though. Dune, for example, would Goad and similar abilities qualify? If so, I presume that 'submitting' means failing their saves. But what if I 'demand' something that doesn't offer a save? Does it depend on rollplaying? Rolling intimidation?

Goad would count, as would an intimidate check. In cases of not being an ability or the like, it depends on roleplaying.

QuoteBlood Gem goes to the Aurora. I propose holding onto it for now. +1 to natural armor isn't all that hot, but it could make a cool present to some fire-themed allies.

Alrighty then.

QuoteAnyone in the Aurora can buy Illusion Dancer, which is very good but not actually a spear. Master, Dana and Mei won't switch to it either due to how they fight, so go for it.

QuoteMei, Master, Dana and the Aurora get 110,114gp, I'll get 110,113gp.

More on this in a sec, but noted.

QuoteYes, I know Mei doesn't use cash. She can build a bigger Triune temple or give it to the refugees or both.

She'll donate it to the refugees in this case, they need it.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on December 02, 2016, 01:06:45 PM
Dune, can the Staff of the Magi or a similar staff be created? If so, how would you price it?

Most of the powers can be done RAW easily enough. The retributive strike is a bit dicier but not impossible. You could make a decent knock off, but it wouldn't be an artifact or have an artifact's protections.

I'd have to sit down and do the pricing on it, which would require me to refresh myself on how staves are priced. I'd suspect it would be an epic level item based on price alone. If you're interested I'll sit down one evening and do the math.

QuoteAre there divine variants to the Rings of Wizardry? Some other items that accomplishes the same task?

I do not believe there is. I could be wrong on this but a cursory google search and my own memories suggest there isn't.

QuoteTo confirm, I could have one Pearl of Power for each spell level, and it would allow me to recall a spell I'd just used up from the prepared spells side of my build? What is the action to recall the spell again? Standard?

A standard action.

QuoteEDIT: Momento Magica is basically Pearl of Power that also applies to the spontaneous spell?

Memento Magica and yes, they're in the MIC.

QuoteI want to install a cloak into one of the ships that I'll claim for myself. Ideally, something like +30 to Hide and +30 to Move Silently. Would it use the formula for skill bonus (competence)? x2 price like items that don't take a space? Something else?

Let me check some of the rules for ships in Stormwrack and a few other books. I'll get back to you on this.

QuoteWhat about the power source? I'm not sure how to explore this option. Is it a matter of asking for a price, or of looking in the Aurora library and questing for it?

Asking about it is a possibility, as is a quest. Put it on your todo list. It may be throwing money at it or it may be a quest, depending on how you approach this.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Not finished, posting this due to work. Will finish tonight or tomorrow.

The Master has 110114+4468.5=114582.5 gold.

Time to make a custom magic item. He's going to start with a belt of ultimate athleticism from the MIC. We'll chop off the part about an automatic 20 once per day and keep the part about being able to take 10. With MIC's adjustment we'll call it break even for a total of 1800 gold. He'll then add boots of agile leaping to it. That's a base of 600, we'll double it for MIC to 1200. Off slot and item stacking penalties will be sorted out later, just doing the basics for now.

Actually, due to slot conflict, we'll make these boots as the base item. So that's 1200 for the boots of agile leaping and then 1800*2 for 3600 gold and a total of 4800 after off slot and stacking cost boosts are applied. He's then going to add a +15 competence bonus to Balance checks for 22500 gold. The good thing is that boots are tied to movement, so no off slot penalty here. Downside, stacking rises it to 22500*1.5=33750 and a grand total of 38550 gold.

He's next going to add a permanent accelerated movement spell to those boots. RAW that's 2000 gold for a CL 1 version. He's going to spring for CL20 instead for dispels, which comes out to 40000 gold. Now 1st level spells being permanent are always a bit dicey and require some adjudication, so I'm just going to have him pay for CL and call it reasonable there. 78850 gold is the grand total.

- Can always take 10 on Balance, Climb, Jump, Swim and Tumble checks. Swift action each round to use.
- Can use your Dex modifier in place of your Strength modifier for Jump checks.
- Can stand from prone as a swift action, does not provoke AoOs.
- +15 competence bonus to Balance checks.
- Balance, Climb, Hide, Move Silently and Tumble checks suffer no penalty for moving at your normal speed.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Resuming.

The Master has 110114+4468.5=114582.5 gold.

Time to make a custom magic item. He's going to start with a belt of ultimate athleticism from the MIC. We'll chop off the part about an automatic 20 once per day and keep the part about being able to take 10. With MIC's adjustment we'll call it break even for a total of 1800 gold. He'll then add boots of agile leaping to it. That's a base of 600, we'll double it for MIC to 1200. Off slot and item stacking penalties will be sorted out later, just doing the basics for now.

Actually, due to slot conflict, we'll make these boots as the base item. So that's 1200 for the boots of agile leaping and then 1800*2 for 3600 gold and a total of 4800 after off slot and stacking cost boosts are applied. He's then going to add a +15 competence bonus to Balance checks for 22500 gold. The good thing is that boots are tied to movement, so no off slot penalty here. Downside, stacking rises it to 22500*1.5=33750 and a grand total of 38550 gold.

He's next going to add a permanent accelerated movement spell to those boots. RAW that's 2000 gold for a CL 1 version. He's going to spring for CL20 instead for dispels, which comes out to 40000 gold. Now 1st level spells being permanent are always a bit dicey and require some adjudication, so I'm just going to have him pay for CL and call it reasonable there. 78850 gold is the grand total.

Update: He's going to spring for +25 Balance instead. As a side note, I seldom go into epic values for skill boosters, as I believe +15 is usually sufficient. Anyway, that's 62500*1.5 gold for a grand total of 93750 and then 98550. We'll add on the accelerated movement aspect next, which is 60000 after the stacking modifier. 158550 gold.

The grand total after Afina makes my sense of D&D economics cry in the corner is 39637 gold. He has 74945.5 gold left after and gets the following item. As he can now automatically make a DC 70 Balance check, he's treated as having a permanent fly speed. Balancing on air is a thing in epic.

Boots of the Sure Feet

These boots give you supernatural balance and movement abilities. As a swift action, you can always take 10 on a Balance, Climb, Jump, Swim or Tumble check, even if distracted or in danger. You may use your Dexterity modifier in place of your Strength modifier for Jump checks. As a swift action, you can stand from prone, this doesn't provoke AoOs. You gain a +25 competence bonus to balance checks. Finally, you are under a permanent accelerated movement spell (CL20), which allows you to make Balance, Climb, Hide, Move Silently and Tumble checks with no penalty for moving your full speed.

The master has 74945.5 gold left. He wants to add the rags of restraint mechanic to his monk's belt. That's a base of 6400 after the MIC doubler is factored in. No off slot penalty here, as the big monk booster is a belt so that feels reasonable to me. The stacking modifier does, but more on that in a sec. He wants more healing than that, so he'll consider and then pay triple to increase it to double his monk and/or ninja level. 19200 is the base price, 28800 after the stacking penalty is applied.

Afina's strange and alien works reduce this to 7200 gold. 67745 gold left.

He'll spend 31250 to buy Illusion Dancer. Thanks to Shou Disciple he can use martial weapons freely and in a flurry, so this could be useful one day (or at least make a great trophy). That leaves him with 36495.5 gold, which he'll keep. He's done. Whew.

- Illusion Dancer: Scimitar+2. Each time you successfully hit and deal damage to a creature with Illusion Dancer, you gain a single image. This image functions as an image from the mirror image spell and stacks with that spell. You can have a maximum of three images at a time from Illusion Dancer. 31,250 gold.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Dana purchases placeholder, will get to that tonight or tomorrow.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Slaad dungeon loot

1 non magical jewel mace
Coin pouch worth 1 silver
42 gold
Silver bracelet of average quality worth 150 gold
6 empty gold urns worth 200 gold each
Small golden sphere, dented
Gold coins
Sealed vial
Magic rapier
Two magical stone axes
Green stone crescent
Gold and platinum coins
Emerald worth about 30,000 gold
Iron key
Bag with platinum coins
Golden necklace
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Not a great showing so far for Mr. Slaad's idea of loot. He's gotta step up his game if he wants people to come back.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Iron Dragoon

Dune, interested one of two items and need some rulings.

Edit: I found the source the webpage used; the gauntlets are from Complete Divine, page 97. Since they're not MIC, the x1.5 wouldn't apply. The total would be 22,000gp+8,000gp=30,000gp for the Wounding Gauntlets. If you allow +2 Wounding, it'd be 54,000gp. The Complete Divine version does still require worship of Bahamut or the True Believer feat and a 4th level divine spell slot, so we'd need to work on that. I can't imagine Seira wouldn't be able to make a viable copy/version.

First is a set of Gauntlets of the Talon from Complete Divine. I can link it to you in chat. It requires the True Believer feat and worship of Bahamut, so I'm not sure what you'd want to do for adjustment of those requirements.  Base price is 22,000gp, and is sourced from MIC, so with the x1.5 general rule, it'd be 33,000gp. I'd want to add Wounding to it, which is a +2 equivalent,  so that's 2x2x2000gp for 8,000gp + 33,000gp for a total of 47,000gp. If I can increase the damage Wounding does to 2 per hit, that'd be 4x4x2000gp for 32,000gp for a total of 65,000gp, I think.  Here's the paste of the item:

"A character wearing gauntlets of the talon effectively has natural weapons that deal 1d8 points of slashing damage and count as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. If a monk dons the gauntlets of the talon, she is treated as if she were five levels higher for purposes of AC, unarmed damage (which now counts as slashing), and the monk's ki strike ability (this function stacks with the similar functions of a monk's belt). Gauntlets of the talon function as ghost touch weapons for the purpose of attacking incorporeal creatures. Finally, the wearer gains a +4 bonus on all grapple checks."

The second item I'm looking at is a set of Gauntlets of Giantfelling. MIC item, 2000gp. x1.5, so it'd be 3000gp. However, I'm interested in adding wounding, which is a +2 bonus equivalent, which is 4000 x1.5 for adding it, so 6000 for adding it, and 9000gp total. Similarly to above, upping this to +2 Wounding is 4x4x2000gp for 32,000gp for a total of 35,000gp.

Now, the issue is that the giantfelling effect is only 3/day. I'm not sure what the cost adjustment would be to make it continuous effect? MIC says it's 3rd Caster Level and the spell used is Reduce Person, which is a 1st level spell, so per the formula on the d20 SRD page, that's 1(Spell Level)x3(CL)x2000gpx2(for duration multiple) for 12000gp, so it seems like it'd be 18,000gp total for the item, or 47,000gp for the +2 Wounding.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Goldenfire Spear

This spear is made of one of the first embers of goldenfire. It hails from the beginnings of Creation and has the ability to break the bonds of destiny through the limitless potential of youth.

In the hands of a non-good wielder, the spear deals 30d12 points of damage to wielder each round it is held. This damage is only taken if the spear is held willingly, any creature who has it forced on them does not take it if they choose to immediately drop it. The ability to break destiny is a heavy one and can only be taken by the willing, which allows this chance to escape the damage. Choosing not to drop the spear is interpreted as choosing to wield it and the damage then applies.

In the hands of a good aligned wielder, this spear is a +7 spear that deals an additional 3d12 points of goldenfire damage each hit. The wielder acts outside of fate and destiny, they are immune to divinations (with the exception of detect good, which always reveals an overwhelming aura of good). Luck and insight bonuses to attack rolls, weapon damage rolls and DCs do not apply against attacks on the wielder, while the same bonuses to armor class and saving throws do not apply against attacks the wielder makes. Additional abilities that explicitly manipulate destiny or use it as a tool also fail (the DM's discretion is used to determine abilities that qualify for this).

The Goldenfire Spear is a major artifact.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Would that mean the bearer can't benefit from effects like Fortunate Fate?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Despite the name, that spell has nothing to do with destiny. It would work fine, it's essentially a contingent heal spell.

It's a one way blocker. It protects the wielder but doesn't stop them from from benefiting from, say, a true strike spell. It's an artifact and nifty like that.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Staff of the Magi knockoff pricing:

I'm going to do the at will, zero charge powers as continuous/at will spells. Staves don't support this otherwise. I'm going to waive the stacking modifier in this case, though. This is a kludge so I'm not worrying too much about that. CL20 is used since that's the level of the staff.

Detect Magic: 40000 gold
Enlarge Person: 40000 gold
Hold Portal: 40000 gold
Light: 20000 gold
Mage Armor: 40000 gold
Mage Hand: 20000 gold

That's 200k just for the low level at wills from it. To be honest I feel that's overpriced, but not worrying about it right now.

The most expensive is SM9, so that's 33750 gold (halved for 2 charges).

The next expensive is only 75% price, so plane shift is down to 19760 gold.

Everything from here on is 50% price. Listed in order:

Dispel Magic: 11220 gold
Fireball: 11220 gold
Ice Storm: 14960 gold
Invisibility: 7480 gold
Knock: 7480 gold
Lightning Bolt: 11220 gold
Passwall: 18700 gold
Pyrotechnics: 7480 gold
Wall of Fire: 14960 gold
Web: 7480 gold
Telekinesis: 9350 gold

For the sake of math and balance, let's knock down the at -wills to 150k. So we have 150000+33750+19760+11220+11220+14960+7480+7480+11220+18700+7480+14960+7480+9350=325060 gold. Well into an epic item before you try to hash out the rest of it. Let's call SR 23 worth 25000 gold. We'll call the absorption part 50000, which isn't quite right but whatever. So you're around 400k before even trying to figure out retributive strike.

If you really want a Staff of the Magi, best to try and find one or make a knockoff at your own pace and at your own price. Making an artifact is beyond even Afina's talent at the moment. It's usually the domain of deities, though it's not impossible for excessively powerful mortals to manage it. Afina could potentially be one of those.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Dana has 110114+24950.85=135064.85 gold. First of all it's make magic items time.

Greater Torc of Power Preservation

This torc is identical to a torc of power preservation, except that it reduces the manifesting cost of powers by 2 (to a minimum of 1).

Strong clairsentience; ML 20th; Craft Universal Item, bend reality, Price: 100,000 gold, Weight 2 pounds.

That's about right and with an understanding that a +3 one would (theoretically) be into epic. I'm not broaching into that for this. Anyway, she'll add that to her amulet of natural armor, so that's 150000/4 for a cost of 37500 gold. She has 97564.85 gold left.

Next she'll buy a pair of these:

QuoteDana has 38807.95+13603.63=52412.58 gold.

She's making a special pair of boots. All but the most expensive part get the 1.5 add on adjustment.

- Boots of speed, (12000*1.5) 18k or 4.5k after discount
- A +15 competence bonus to Swim checks, (22500*1.5) 33.75k or 8437.5 after discount.
- Permanent fly, CL 5, (30000*1.5) 45k or 11.25k after discount.
- At will dimension door as a standard action, CL 7, 56k or 14k after discount.

38187.5 gold is the final price, leaving her with 14225.08 gold. Additionally, she'll fit the boot with a boot blade (CS) for 4 gold. 14221.08 gold left. She'll enhance the boot blade with +2 enhancement bonus for 2k, since if she's kicking someone in the ass and stabbing them at the same time, she want sit to count, dammit. 12221.08 gold left.

She names her boots Asskickers and is done.

She'll give them to Jaela since she owes her a few. She has 59377.35 gold left, she's done.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on December 18, 2016, 02:42:58 AM
Dune, interested one of two items and need some rulings.

Edit: I found the source the webpage used; the gauntlets are from Complete Divine, page 97. Since they're not MIC, the x1.5 wouldn't apply. The total would be 22,000gp+8,000gp=30,000gp for the Wounding Gauntlets. If you allow +2 Wounding, it'd be 54,000gp. The Complete Divine version does still require worship of Bahamut or the True Believer feat and a 4th level divine spell slot, so we'd need to work on that. I can't imagine Seira wouldn't be able to make a viable copy/version.

First is a set of Gauntlets of the Talon from Complete Divine. I can link it to you in chat. It requires the True Believer feat and worship of Bahamut, so I'm not sure what you'd want to do for adjustment of those requirements.

Those requirements are generally not negotiable, since they're something unique to that faith and require spending a feat to use them.

QuoteThe second item I'm looking at is a set of Gauntlets of Giantfelling. MIC item, 2000gp. x1.5, so it'd be 3000gp. However, I'm interested in adding wounding, which is a +2 bonus equivalent, which is 4000 x1.5 for adding it, so 6000 for adding it, and 9000gp total. Similarly to above, upping this to +2 Wounding is 4x4x2000gp for 32,000gp for a total of 35,000gp.

Now, the issue is that the giantfelling effect is only 3/day. I'm not sure what the cost adjustment would be to make it continuous effect? MIC says it's 3rd Caster Level and the spell used is Reduce Person, which is a 1st level spell, so per the formula on the d20 SRD page, that's 1(Spell Level)x3(CL)x2000gpx2(for duration multiple) for 12000gp, so it seems like it'd be 18,000gp total for the item, or 47,000gp for the +2 Wounding.

What I'd suggest is to make a permanent item of Fell the Greatest Foe instead. It's basically the same thing. Also wounding can be applied to your necklace of natural attacks.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Alrighty. Is there a way figure the cost for a similar monk stacking effect for a new item, or is it just locked to the Gauntlets of Talons only?

What's the formula for a permanent item? I thought that's what the continuous effect was.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.