News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

WotC says, "Baby, come back! You know I didn't mean it!"

Started by Brian, January 09, 2012, 12:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

4th ed did have some impressive narrative art as I remember.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

http://wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd%2Fbasicrules

These were posted recently. It looks like D&D 5 is almost a return to 3.5

Characters are more sturdy now, like in 4e they get +2 to two stats, instead of +2/-2. And it looks like dead levels only exist on spellcasters (though given they still get spells, they're not really dead), right now only fighter/rogue/wizard/cleric are shown.

Saving throws, skills and attacks are all simplified, as now you get a proficiency bonus (starting at +2) that increases based on your level, and depending on your class you get certain proficiencies with armor/weapons, saving throws, skills. You can gain proficiencies in skills and tools based on your background, which are similar to bonuses humans sometimes get in other systems to make them more diverse. Proficiency bonus seems to start at +2 and goes up to +6, and it seems to go up at the same levels for every class shown so far.

Classes typically gain "Ability Score Improvement" ability every couple of levels, typically you increase an ability score by +2 (or two by +1), but you can choose a feat instead. Feats are an optional system however, and not shown in that link.

Multiclassing also exists, but all the tables needed to see how it works for proficiencies interacting from different classes aren't shown. It seems to generally work about the same as 3.5 however.

Saving throws are ability score specific, with you class granting you a bonus to two ability scores (so Fighter gets a bonus to saves against strength and constitution for example). They don't scale with level, just with your proficiency bonus.

Initiative is just dexterity rank based, with only ties requiring rolls.

AoOs exist again.

Spellcasters get fewer spells/day, and bonus spells from high ability score still exist, but rather than based on a chart, you just get a number equal to your bonus score. And they can be of any level you have access to, so more flexibility.

Spells/day is actually Spell Slots, which replenish after a long rest, but given that's 8 hours and you can only benefit from it once per 24 hours... it comes out to essentially the same thing.

That's basically the main things I noticed. It looks like a strong return to 3.5 style of play, while trying to simplify/remove need for charts and a lot of addition to generate a character. Given that Pathfinder has been going strong though, will going back to a popular 3.5 style system do much for WoTC at this point? Guess we'll see.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Ergoemos

I actually enjoyed the combat of 4th edition, when it came to playing with people who aren't interested in the deep mechanics of every single feat, racial and other modifier that gets slowly layered into 3.5.

I haven't really played with any diehard tabletop players, ever, though (I have always been the most interested player in the group), so 4th edition kept the game moving and made it so that being a simple fighter more interesting than "I hit it with my sword, deal x damage. next person go."

That said, some of the intensive roleplaying aspects I have seen from 5e make me wish I could really get into gaming again. And it looks like WotC is really trying to move more into the mainstream of open minded-ness that some portions of the gaming culture I have seen dearly need.
Battle not with stupid, lest ye become stupid, and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you.
-R. K. Milholland

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on July 04, 2014, 02:46:42 AM
4th ed did have some impressive narrative art as I remember.

Oh yeah. I liked 4e's art a lot. It had some downsides, but there were several pieces I liked. In particular, I like the dragon art I saw.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Ergoemos on July 05, 2014, 12:17:58 PMThat said, some of the intensive roleplaying aspects I have seen from 5e make me wish I could really get into gaming again. And it looks like WotC is really trying to move more into the mainstream of open minded-ness that some portions of the gaming culture I have seen dearly need.

Deep roleplaying can be a lot of fun, especially when you get a group that's really into it. It can be tough when you're the one really into it with the group and the others aren't, so hang in there and good luck.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

"Okay, I'm a dwarven historian named Brun.  Nice to meet you, Lawerance.  And you guys are?  Are?  Hello?"  *cricket cricket*

Disconnects on level of narrative and social engagement are super easy to have in games, much like in life.
Well, Goodbye.

Yulia

Idle curiosity here, but is anyone getting the PHB, DMG or MM?

Dracos

Prolly will pirate it and read at some point, but I don't feel an immediate buy need.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

Same as Drac, probably. I haven't really seen much that would make me go "You know, I think this looks more fun to play than Pathfinder or 3.5e" so far.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Merc

It hasn't come out yet. Next week, Aug 19th, Dune =p

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on August 13, 2014, 09:44:14 PM
It hasn't come out yet. Next week, Aug 19th, Dune =p

Huh. I'd seen a lot of reviews around for it, so :I thought it already released. Nevermind then!
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Well, I'd imagine gaming magazines and the like got early copies for that very purpose. Or could be some game store that has a review blog and started reading before it gets put on shelves?

Anyway, I'd posted release dates for the books somewhere in the last page of this thread.

Carthrat

The whole PDF has been uploaded already, of course. (why would I buy a game unless I've read the pdf)

It looks sorta neatish. Chargen seems a little neater, and flatter numbers across the board. Definitely more reminiscent on 3e than 4e. Toying with running something short this September.
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Anastasia

Quote from: Carthrat on August 14, 2014, 06:08:51 AM
The whole PDF has been uploaded already, of course. (why would I buy a game unless I've read the pdf)

That explains a lot.

QuoteIt looks sorta neatish. Chargen seems a little neater, and flatter numbers across the board. Definitely more reminiscent on 3e than 4e. Toying with running something short this September.

Oh? Got something in mind, Rat?
<Afina> Forever.