News:

"Our arrogance is our power."

Main Menu

238.1 Xerandalla

Started by Corwin, April 01, 2012, 12:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

[19:25] <Kotono> ---
[19:27] <Kotono> The dungeons of Balmuria are a quiet place. They have held many people, assassins, enemies and crinimals. This time, a frozen maiden rests in one cell, bound and gagged. Donald looks over Seira's shoulder as they set up, "You know, I'm not sure a Balor could get out of all of this, let alone Neve."
[19:27] <Kotono> "It's far better safe this time!" Amaryl murmurs back, helping Seira out as she works. "Do you want a repeat?"
[19:28] <Kotono> "Well no," Donald watches and whistles a bit, "Oh well, don't mind me then."
01[19:28] <Seira> "I'd work some precautions about dimensional travel, at least, if it were a fiend," Seira mutters. "She wanted overwhelming power? She's going to get what she wants."
[19:29] <Kotono> "Oh yeah, but still." Leaning back against a wall now, resting there as his mithral armor clanks against the stone, "So what are you going to do with her now anyway?"
01[19:30] <Seira> At the last minute, Seira reconsiders and casts the Magic Circle on Donald instead, telling Amaryl to stay near him. "We're about to find out," she says then, casting the healing spell to revive their prisoner.
[19:33] <Kotono> There's barely any sign she awakens. The most obvious is her one surviving good eye blinking once or twice, half open and peering. She then squirms slightly, hitting against the boundaries of the rope that holds her.
01[19:34] <Seira> "As you can tell, I have accepted your unconditional surrender," Seira tells her, but doesn't proceed, merely observing Neve.
[19:34] <Kotono> Neve tries to speak a little, but the gag in her mouth turns it into incoherent murmurings. Her eye opens a little bit, focusing on Seira.
01[19:35] <Seira> "I can pick up on the thoughts you send my way. Speaking, however, is a privelege you currently lack."
[19:37] <Kotono> 'Then what are you going to do with me?' Neve asks coldly in Seira's mind.
01[19:37] <Seira> "I don't know. If I knew that, things would be easier," Seira responds. "Don't resist."
06[19:37] * Seira attempts to cast Detect Thoughts and glance at Neve's.
[19:39] <Kotono> Neve doesn't reply, her good eye just stares up at Seira.
01[19:41] <Seira> "This is good," Seira states emotionlessly. "We understand each other, now."
02[19:42] * Taishyr (~ferixstad@24-247-151-205.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com) Quit (Ping timeout)
[19:44] <Kotono> 'And?' Neve asks back.
01[19:45] <Seira> "I know I'm sometimes eclipsed by colossal, incomprehensible monsters in my line of work," she says, not taking her eyes off Neve. "But it should never be forgotten that I rank amongst them. It's a lot more difficult to deny my nature than to just let go once I'm past my breaking point."
[19:46] <Kotono> "She is a dragon, y'know." Donald watches from his place on the wall, "Didja you know that silver dragon who you replaced in that lair? It's something like that."
01[19:47] <Seira> "She had to be killed twice before taking the hint," Seira corrects him.
[19:49] <Kotono> 'I've been dead once before. What are you going to do that's worse?' Neve snaps back.
01[19:54] <Seira> "I believe our problems stem from conflicting mindsets," Seira tells her matter-of-factly. "Normally, it would not be a problem, but you have a problem with honesty. Right now, I know your brave front is a lie."
01[19:54] <Seira> After delivering that statement, she sighs. "I might have been an idiot to trust you, but since I'm not the one whose fate is being decided right now, perhaps it would have been better for you had you been truthful from the start and told me you wanted nothing to do with me."
[19:58] <Kotono> 'Get on with it,' Neve snaps.
01[20:02] <Seira> "You are not in charge. Do not presume to be," Seira cuts her off. "Before we go any further, you will make me understand you. We can't be friends, now. But there was a time I honestly sought that with all my being, to the point of foolishly being willing to toss my life away to save yours. You've cured me of that notion, and now you will enlighten me as to your true nature."
[20:05] <Kotono> 'I am a fey of winter. What else do you want me to tell you?' Neve challenges back.
03[20:06] * Taishyr (~ferixstad@adsl-76-236-183-7.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net) has joined #dunes
03[20:06] * ChanServ sets mode: +o Taishyr
02[20:08] * Taishyr (~ferixstad@adsl-76-236-183-7.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net) Quit (Connection reset by peer)
03[20:08] * Taishyr (~ferixstad@adsl-76-236-183-7.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net) has joined #dunes
03[20:08] * ChanServ sets mode: +o Taishyr
01[20:08] <Seira> "And I am a dragon. I am greedy and go around demanding tribute from peasants." Seira's eyes show contempt towards Neve, the same look she saw directed towards her when they faced off. "You are entirely defined by your nature. If I met another fey, she would be exactly like you, down to her behavior. Her experiences in life or undeath would not matter a bit."
06[20:08] * Seira snorts. "I bet she would go by Neve, too."
[20:21] <Kotono> 'What's your point?' Neve asks, one eye staring up at Seira.
01[20:25] <Seira> "I can tell why a fey of the winter would do what you did. But I can't understand why you would follow me like you did, listen to me the way you had time after time, and then make the choice you did."
[20:26] <Kotono> Neve chokes on her gag a little, as chill laughter fills Seira's mind. 'Aren't you supposed to be a mighty, learned wizard? Can't you tell?'
01[20:28] <Seira> "Enlighten me. I insist."
[20:33] <Kotono> 'Why should I treat with a total fool?' Neve answers.
01[20:34] <Seira> "Because you are afraid of death or worse."
01[20:38] <Seira> roll 1d20+41
06[20:38] * Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+41 and gets 55." [1d20=14]
[20:38] <Kotono> OOC: I don't think she can beat that in her current state, so.
[20:50] <Kotono> Neve slinks back, her one eye looking away from Seira. 'I would not treat with a fool. Need I say it again? What fool so misunderstands taking me where your did, or everything after?'
[20:52] <Kotono> Amaryl watches and shakes her head to all of it.
[20:52] <Kotono> Donald's expression has cooled, his eyes on Neve and Seira.
01[20:54] <Seira> "Rather than stupidity, it was a gamble," Seira retorts. "Everyone considered you a threat, and there was a prophecy of sorts that might have implicated you. I disagreed, and wanted to break it with my own hands. Then, you would have been accepted, rather than shunned." She pauses. "But I was wrong about you, and learned a valuable lesson in the process." (more)
06[20:54] * Seira mulls this over, before asking, "So you have been content to see where things lead, but once I took you to visit the unicorns, you've decided I was a fool?"
[20:58] <Kotono> 'What o-of it?' Neve pales, her one eye closing.
01[21:00] <Seira> "Why would you care more about a pair of unicorns than anyone else that crossed your path?"
03[21:00] * Taishyr is now known as tai-afkish
[21:04] <Kotono> 'Filthy beasts,' Neve snaps back, only with growing meekness in her voice.
01[21:06] <Seira> "Why didn't you leave, if you believed me a fool you couldn't treat with?" Seira continues, asking her questions dispassionately. "Either by demanding to return, or on your own."
[21:13] <Kotono> 'To think, I had grown to tolerate such a fool!' Neve snaps, 'I even gave you a chance to get away!'
06[21:15] * Seira raises an eyebrow at the outburst. "Only the stong get to say that. Examine our relative situations and tell me who the greater fool is!" Her voice rises momentarily, but she gets it under control with a deep breath. "There is no way we would merely let someone like you go after open hostilities break out like that."
[21:20] <Kotono> 'The strong don't need so much help to win,' Neve retorts, 'T-then what?'
[21:21] <Kotono> Donald takes a step forward,
[21:21] <Kotono> OOC- Gah.
[21:21] <Kotono> Donald takes a step forward, 'Even keel, Seira,' He says.
01[21:26] <Seira> "I've told Amaryl, when I was telling her about you, that we were evenly matched and if we ever fought, it would be difficult to predict who would win," Seira muses. "But now, I can state with certainty that the outcome had been revealed. You couldn't touch me once I came to my senses, and the fate of the battle was decided by my familiar, Lagann." She tilts her head slightly.
01[21:26] <Seira> "Friends are another form of strength, however, and I have tried to teach you that. I tried to become part of your strength with--" Retrieving the feather token, Seira intended to throw it in Neve's face, but merely lets it float down to the ground at Donald's words.
01[21:26] <Seira> "And my final skill was luck. It had deserted you and picked me, decisively. That can be the most important factor of all, and all things even, it decided who deserved to win over the other."
[21:29] <Kotono> "Yeah." Donald cracks his neck there with one hand, "We win because we fight together. It's why we can trample big, scary, single opponents who come after Balmuria...oh, and why those devils are such a pain in the ass."
[21:32] <Kotono> 'So you've won.' Neve sighs, 'I knew you were mighty by what you've done and your battles already.'
01[21:32] <Seira> "Alone, I am above you," she affirms calmly. "Surrounded by my friends, I am an existence that can never be surpassed by a lonely fey of winter." Seira looks like she wants to continue, but instead pauses abruptly. "Neve, what do you think should be done with you?"
[21:33] <Kotono> Donald shakes his head while grins ear to ear. 'Nice,' He tells Seira. 'How do you think she's gonna answer?'
01[21:34] <Seira> 'If I knew the answer to that, I wouldn't need to ask it, while reading her surface thoughts,' Seira responds in his mind, sounding somewhat bleak.
[21:34] <Kotono> 'Return me to my mountain.' Neve answers after a few moments.
01[22:02] <Seira> "I will return you to Amaryl's mountain, and as long as you stay there, you could keep your new, lessened existence," Seira responds, after considering it. "But if you would like to regain some of your former self, I will call on you one dayt. Follow me then, restore my faith in your word, and once I feel it is the only bond you need to prevent you from harming the innocent, the rest will be dismissed."
[22:04] <Kotono> 'What if I refuse?'
01[22:10] <Seira> "As I've said, I will return you to the mountain. If you behave for a year, I will remove the bindings then. Faith is not the only option; observation over time could give me the same result."
[22:15] <Kotono> "Look," Donald goes to kneel by Neve, "Yeah, you did something terrible to us. The entire thing was stupid and most people would've taken your life for it. Seira's giving you a chance to live. Don't screw this one up, Neve."
[22:17] <Kotono> 'Take me to my mountain. If you come to me with a request, I will consider it.' Neve answers.
01[22:20] <Seira> "We're going now. Try not to show Donald and Amaryl how happy you are at this outcome, will you?"
01[22:21] <Seira> roll 1d100 rest
06[22:21] * Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d100 rest and gets 76." [1d100=76]
01[22:21] <Seira> roll 1d100 mountain
06[22:21] * Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d100 mountain and gets 44." [1d100=44]
01[22:21] <Seira> roll 1d100 rest, again
06[22:21] * Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d100 rest, again and gets 98." [1d100=98]
03[22:27] * tai-afkish is now known as xtafklm
[22:32] <Kotono> roll 1d10
[22:32] <Kotono> roll 1d10
06[22:32] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d10 and gets 7." [1d10=7]
06[22:32] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d10 and gets 6." [1d10=6]
[22:32] <Kotono> roll 1d9
06[22:32] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d9 and gets 6." [1d9=6]
[22:35] <Kotono> Woosh! Seira and Amaryl appear in the endless frozen tundra. Immediately the deep chill makes your bones rattle and your lips turn blue! On the horizon, you can see colorful lights dancing in the sky.
[22:37] <Kotono> OOC: Strike.
[22:37] <Kotono> You appear in the forest. Ahead of you is an unfamiliar villiage. The air is cool and crisp, the coming winter teased on it.
06[22:38] * Seira shrugs. "Let's go take refuge there, and return home tomorrow?" she suggests, adopting an elven disguise.
[22:41] <Kotono> roll 1d100
06[22:41] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 96." [1d100=96]
[22:43] <Kotono> Heading into the village, you find that the elves are all gathered in the center of the tree filled city. A banquet is laid out as the elves enjoy, with only one chair at the front of the great banquet table. However, it is empty.
[22:45] <Kotono> "What's going on?" Amaryl murmurs under her breath, "A celebration?"
01[22:46] <Seira> "Could be," Seira agrees, ensuring her scrolls of teleportation are within easy reach, just in case. "Hi," she greets the nearest elf, approaching unobtrusively. "What is the banquet in honor of?"
[22:47] <Kotono> The elf looks ot Seira and then smiles with a nod. "Well, it was going to be a Harvest festival, but we had a heroic traveler pass through so we dedicated it to her. But she left before it even began." With a tsk, "Humans, so impatient."
[22:47] <Kotono> "Ah, the empty chair...I thought so," Amaryl nods, "A human? "
06[22:48] * Seira listens attentively.
[22:50] <Kotono> "Yes. She was so terribly unrefined and humanistic, but she has a good heart. She saved some of the city children from a troll. Imagine, a troll this far into Pallanth! The border rangers let one get past them."
[22:50] <Kotono> "Tsk..." Amaryl shakes her head to that, "Why was she in such a hurry?"
01[22:50] <Seira> "When did she leave, again?" Seira asks the more interesting question.
[22:51] <Kotono> "Several hours ago. She...mmm. She got strange and in a hurry right after Neysa touched her shoulder." With a lithe shrug, "Humans are incomprehensible."
01[22:55] <Seira> "That's strange. We didn't come across her on the way, did we?" Seira asks Amaryl with a light frown. "I don't think so, anyway. What did this human look like?"
[22:57] <Kotono> "She wore a hooded cloak, mostly." The lef shrugs, "I didn't get much of a look at her, I'm afraid. Besides..." With a bit of a long look, "Humans all look the same to me."
01[22:58] <Seira> 'It's fishy,' Seira thinks to Amaryl. 'Trolls and humans out in these parts, much less together? And behavior like that?' Even as she continues smiling to the elf they're subtly interrogating, she adds mentally, 'Should we look into it?'
[23:00] <Kotono> Amaryl bites her lip and thinks. '...do you think...' she begins, 'No. I mean, no. It is suspicious, but trolls do get deeper into Pallanth on occasion. If I talk to the village leader and use my name for authority, they'll investigate it.'
01[23:01] <Seira> 'Do I think what?'
[23:01] <Kotono> '...nothing.' Amaryl weakly smiles, 'Just a habit.'
01[23:05] <Seira> "Could we impose on the village and stay here for the day?" Seira inquires to keep the conversation going, even as she responds with, 'You're right, we don't have to do everything ourselves. While suspicious, it doesn't seem to threaten anyone.'
[23:08] <Kotono> "If you like. Feast," The elf gestures, "There's plenty of food."
01[23:14] <Seira> roll 1d100 Citadel
06[23:14] * Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d100 Citadel and gets 18." [1d100=18]
01[23:14] <Seira> roll 1d100 home
06[23:14] * Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d100 home and gets 35." [1d100=35]
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

[21:48] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> Okay, go ahead and roll teleprt?
01[21:48] <Seira> roll 1d100
05[21:48] -atarians.dejatoons.net:@#evildunes- Seira invited Hatbot into the channel.
03[21:48] * Hatbot (~Hatbot@24.174.51.230) has joined #evildunes
06[21:48] * Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d100 and gets 91." [1d100=91]
[21:53] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> You've been there how often?
01[21:54] <Seira> I'd say seen casually works best. I spent some time there before, but only visited the once.
01[21:54] <Seira> Elf disguise, btw
[21:55] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> roll 1d10
[21:55] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> roll 1d10
06[21:55] * Hatbot --> "Infinite_Ko_Loop rolls 1d10 and gets 4." [1d10=4]
06[21:55] * Hatbot --> "Infinite_Ko_Loop rolls 1d10 and gets 6." [1d10=6]
[21:55] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> roll 1d9
06[21:55] * Hatbot --> "Infinite_Ko_Loop rolls 1d9 and gets 4." [1d9=4]
[21:55] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> -----
[22:04] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> Woosh! Seira appears somewhere in the forest. She stands knee deep in cool spring waters, the chilly air lapping at her face. Ahead of her, swimming in the deeper waters of a middling sized lake, is an elven woman. Even from here, Seira can tell she's gorgeous.
06[22:07] * Seira decides to swim over to the gorgeous woman! Her detours thus far had consistently been to places she was needed at, or to learn things Waukeen wishes for her to know. This might well be the latter, and the water is so pleasant, after all.
[22:08] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> As Seira swims closer, the woman turns! Her dark brown hair is long and wet, clinging to her bare back as she stares at Seira! Her beauty utterly overwhelms her, enrapturing her! OOC: Make a will save?
01[22:08] <Seira> roll 1d20+22
06[22:09] * Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+22 and gets 26." [1d20=4]
[22:09] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> Seira's eyes nearly burn away at such beauty, but she holds her vision in check! "Aaah!" The woman swims a bit away from Seira, "Who are you?!"
01[22:10] <Seira> "Seira," she responds, pausing as she leisurely keeps herself afloat, not pursuing the beauty in the least. "I'm not sure how I got here, but the lake's water was so nice I decided to take a swim. Am I bothering you?"
01[22:11] <Seira> roll 1d20+26
06[22:11] * Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+26 and gets 28." [1d20=2]
[22:12] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> OOC: Make a diplo check, Seira?
01[22:12] <Seira> roll 1d20+30
01[22:13] <Seira> OOC: I guess I'll take 10 for 40 if Hat's dead
02[22:15] * Hatbot (~Hatbot@24.174.51.230) Quit (Broken pipe)
[22:16] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> Hesitating a moment, "In your clothes? How did you find my secret spring in the first place?" Her voice is melodious music.
01[22:17] <Seira> "It probably looks bad, huh?" Seira asks, rubbing the back of her head in embarrassment. "But I suppose it wouldn't look good, either, if I just saw you and started taking off my clothes." She smiles self-deprecatingly. "Like I said, I'm not sure how I got here. But when I splashed into this beautiful spring, my clothes got wet as it is, so I figured I might as well make the best of it and greet you."
[22:19] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "You don't know how you got here? Hmph." Now scowling, "Oh, I bet it isn't your fault. No, it truly isn't. Someone's playing a prank...and a dangerous one. Elf child, did yo usee anything unusual before you found yourself here? Any unusual forest creatures?"
01[22:21] <Seira> "Oh, I'm sorry." Seira looks genuinely contrite. "My teleport was redirected en route. So I honestly don't know why I was dropped into your lake, but no one actually abducted me. I didn't mean to mislead you."
[22:21] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "Oh." Now peering at Seira, "You're a wizard. That explains much of this."
06[22:23] * Seira nods eagerly. "Yes! I was thinking of visiting some acquaintances, but they were too far away for regular travel. I also have some time, though, so I was hoping to relax for a while since I ended up in such a nice place? Before, every time I went off course, I was sent to really terrible weather, or horrible people who wanted to kill me were right there."
01[22:23] <Seira> She sniffs. "I can't believe it. A teleport can go off course and not lead to horrible, life-threatening situations!"
[22:24] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "I...see...." The elven creature stares at Seira, "Definintely a wizard. What's your name?"
01[22:26] <Seira> "It's Seira! I didn't pause halfway before, that's my entire name," Seira responds, all smiles again. "What is yours? You are very beautiful, you know. Easily amongst the most gorgeous women I've ever had the pleasure of meeting!"
[22:28] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "Oh, I mist have misse-" She stops there, "Wait...is Seira a common name among elves?"
01[22:29] <Seira> "It's a proper elven name," Seira says defensively, "even if I've never actually met another Seira before."
[22:29] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> ".....do you know of a creature called the Magus of Time?" She asks, eyeing Seira warily.
06[22:31] * Seira tilts her head, reminiscing. "I thought he was a terrible person, keeping all the fey imprisoned and bent to his will the way he did. But then, he actually turned out... I'm not sure. I like to think he was repentant, since he did tell us how to free everyone. Why?"
[22:32] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "You're her...!" With a wild look, "I was one of those. The fey, that is. I didn't see you as you traveled in, but I heard your names."
01[22:34] <Seira> "Secret spring, dangerous prank, unusual forest creatures, elf child," Seira counts, nodding to herself. "Makes sense." She looks slightly wary. "Does that mean that you liked him and want me to go away? I don't want to bother you at your home."
[22:36] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "You're very powerful if you defeated the Magus of Time and you just appeared here. How else am I supposed to react?"
01[22:39] <Seira> "I don't know how to react, either! I haven't met many fey before, and they've usually treated me badly," Seira admits. "But if you don't treat everyone as a friend when you meet them, then no door will open before you..." she adds quietly, musing to herself, before glancing back at the fey. "Don't you think so?"
[22:44] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "I suppose..." Blushing now as she swims a little closer to Seira.
[22:44] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> OOC:G Ah.
[22:44] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "I suppose..." Blushing now as she swims a little closer to Seira, "I'm Arel."
01[22:44] <Seira> "Hi!"
[22:46] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> Stopping ten feet away and standing, using her arms to cover her bare bosom, "Are you going to be staying long?"
01[22:48] <Seira> "A while, but probably no more than a few hours," Seira responds, mentally calculating. "Like I said, I was trying to visit a few acquaintances, and I might need to help them with something, so I'll need some daylight left to work with. In the time I have, though, do you think we could talk? I would really like to understand fey better."
[22:50] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "Very well." Walking out of the water and going to the bank of the lake, the nymph clads herself in fall leaves. It makes a dress of red and gold, cloaking her body. "What about fey do you desire to know, Seira?"
01[22:52] <Seira> "It's nothing specific. At least, nothing I can just ask about." Seira makes a face. "Could you just tell me about yourself? I think talking, interacting with others is the key to understanding them."
[22:53] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> Taking a few breaths and tossing her hair, waterdroplets come in a spray. They catch the watery fall sunlight, sparkling like rainbow gems as they land on the ground. "A nymph may be like anther nymph, but different fey are not alike. Do men go mad with lust when they see a pixie?"
01[22:54] <Seira> "Well, I, uhh, suppose there are men like that," Seira says awkwardly.
[22:55] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "Fey are as diverse as human and demihuman kind...." She stops there, "That is a terrible, terrible idea to think of."
01[22:56] <Seira> "It is, so let's not!" Seira agrees quickly, before changing the topic slightly. "But what you've just said is something that you do. Or can do. Not what you are. And certainly not who you are, right?"
[23:00] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "What I'm saying is that fey are as diverse as humans or elves, mostly." Twirling down and going to sit indian style on the ground.
06[23:04] * Seira takes off her cloak, shakes it a few times and then finds an empty spot where she won't accidentally set anything on fire, and breathes some of it on it, enough to dry the magical cloth. Then, she spreads it over the ground and sits atop it.
01[23:04] <Seira> "You have no idea how much hearing that uplifts my spirit!" Seira insists emphatically. "Until now, just about every fey I've come across insisted to act just like how you would expect, after reading about them in a book. In fact, you could swear those books were written with those specific fey in mind! As an individual, it made me despair."
[23:05] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "We do, however, have trends. Humans are full of change, dwarves are mountain dwellers, elves are forest kin. It's the same as us. Were you a man, I could have you madly in love with me."
06[23:06] * Seira nods slowly. "But would you? I mean, what's in it for you?"
[23:09] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "If I desired to, yes. Some men are handsome...and nymphs breed true. It's how more nymphs are made," She looks down to her stomach, "That's why."
01[23:12] <Seira> "But I wasn't kidding when I said you are truly gorgeous," Seira tells her, clearly not comprehending. "And you have a nice disposition, from what I've seen so far. Wouldn't it be better to just find someone you liked and have them like you back through getting to know you? Just making someone fall for you because you can... why would you choose that?"
[23:15] <Infinite_Ko_Loop> "I don't want a long term mate. Your kind are not bad, but...we also serve our trees and groves. We call a nymph who does such a bound nymph who has abandoned nature."
03[23:17] * Alicia is now known as Ebiris
01[23:17] <Seira> "So it can happen, and happen enough that there's a name for it." Seira nods to herself once more. "What about casual encounters? It's not really for me, but I didn't mean to imply you should settle down with someone. Just that I don't see why you would even think of resorting to magical compulsion with all that you have going for you."

Corwin

[20:18] <Kotono> > "If I desired to, yes. Some men are handsome...and nymphs breed true. It's how more nymphs are made," She looks down to her stomach, "That's why."
[20:18] <Kotono> <Seira> "But I wasn't kidding when I said you are truly gorgeous," Seira tells her, clearly not comprehending. "And you have a nice disposition, from what I've seen so far. Wouldn't it be better to just find someone you liked and have them like you back through getting to know you? Just making someone fall for you because you can... why would you choose that?"
[20:18] <Kotono> > "I don't want a long term mate. Your kind are not bad, but...we also serve our trees and groves. We call a nymph who does such a bound nymph who has abandoned nature."
[20:18] <Kotono> * Alicia is now known as Ebiris
[20:18] <Kotono> <Seira> "So it can happen, and happen enough that there's a name for it." Seira nods to herself once more. "What about casual encounters? It's not really for me, but I didn't mean to imply you should settle down with someone. Just that I don't see why you would even think of resorting to magical compulsion with all that you have going for you."
[20:28] <Kotono> "Why would you think that," The nyphm cocks her head to the side, looking at Seira.
01[20:31] <Seira> "I got it wrong?" Seira asks uncertainly. "It's just... you said that if you liked someone, you'd be able to make them fall madly in love with you. It didn't sound like they had a choice, you know?" Seira breathes out in a drawn out sigh. "So I misunderstood something again?"
[20:36] <Kotono> "I'm radiantly beautiful." With a little smirk at Seira, "Haven't you ever fallen in love at first sight with someone? Had a deep crush on someone you barely even know?"
06[20:37] * Seira withdraws slightly. "I think it's a given." She laughs then, shaking her head. "But even I'm not that self-assured, much less in that area!"
[20:41] <Kotono> Now starting to watch Seira with an amusement that radiates off her, "You have that much power and you're not 'that self assured?' Really?"
01[20:43] <Seira> "Is it strange? I'm confident about my chances in battle, and I usually have confidence during negotiations, but there are many aspects of daily life where I just wing it, pretty much."
[20:50] <Kotono> "Huh." Eyeing Seira curiously now, "If you can go out in battle and in things like negotiations, why is normal life hard?"
01[20:54] <Seira> "Because you can't just bludgeon someone into submission, I guess," Seira suggests with a snort. "You can force your will on someone if they are belligerent towards you. But just walking down the street, it can be different and I won't know how to respond. I've just taken to using a near-constant disguise to fit in better,
01[20:54] <Seira> which is a lot like avoiding the issue, but I'm not really sure what to do about people who stare. It's not like I can smite them in Waukeen's name for something like that."
[20:58] <Kotono> A nodding along to it, "Social battles are far more subtle. You can't just brain someone to make them accept you or not stare at you and let you fit in. What do you look like out of the disguise, then?" With a long, peering look to Seira, "Something unusual?"
01[21:02] <Seira> "Not all that much. I think it's the wings, really," Seira responds, doing away with the illusionary magic for now. "I suppose some of it comes from seeing those I face in one of the kinds of combat as a peer or an equal. But while I respect the civllians I live near, I feel that if I tried to treat them that way, it would be fake or undeserved."
[21:08] <Kotono> "That's tough." Crossing her arms, "Maybe the answer ist hat you aren't equal to them."
01[21:10] <Seira> "I think so, too," Seira agrees. "Because my conviction is on a different level. I didn't have special gifts that set me apart from anyone else as a child, so I'm different because of the training I've gone through, the studying I've done, the risks I've taken. And yet, I still don't want to treat anyone differently."
[21:16] <Kotono> "You could be pretty charming if you worked on it." Eyeing Seira, "You have a good way with words. Just treat them well enough. I can't stop males from staring at me, so I turn it into an advantage.:"
01[21:20] <Seira> "I'm sure people strong enough to like you and still resist exist, if you ever feel like chatting with a man casually," Seira tells Arel. "This turning things into an advantage idea sounds like a really good one, even if I can't think of anything specific right now. Maybe it'll come to me in time?"
[21:21] <Kotono> "It's very rare." Thinking for a little bit on that, "What does all of that have to do with fey, though?"
01[21:23] <Seira> "We went off on a tangent," Seira says sagely. "It happens a lot with me. As do certain misunderstandings, which was the reason this happened in the first place."
[21:24] <Kotono> "So get to the core of what you want then," Arel leans forward.
01[21:26] <Seira> "I... we could talk a lot, but really...." Seira stumbles over the words, uncertain of just how to say it. "What I really want to know is, can a fey and someone like me be friends? Or are we just too different?"
[21:28] <Kotono> "Sure, why not?" With a light shrug, "Talk to a pixie, they'll be your friend. Or those bound nymphs or what have you. Why?"
01[21:31] <Seira> "Aren't the bound nymphs those nymphs who acted against their nature?"
[21:39] <Kotono> "Sure, but they still made friends," With a dismissive shrug, "It's what you asked."
01[21:43] <Seira> "It is," Seira agrees, although she's no surer right now than before meeting her. It might be one of those things that take time to sink in, however. "Arel, you've been very kind despite the circumstances that brought me here, and I think that knowing what you said will help me. I should probably get going, if I don't want to be too later, however."
[21:46] <Kotono> "Be safe, dragon." With a slight bow to Seira, "You are an interesting sort."
01[21:47] <Seira> "It must be the interesting times I live in," Seira returns with a grin, collecting her cloak. As she twirls it around herself to clasp it around her neck, Seira's elven glamor returns. "Be safe," she echoes, nodding at Arel, and tries to teleport to the outskirts of the village once more.
05[21:49] -fantasy.dejatoons.net:@#evildunes- Seira invited Hatbot into the channel.
03[21:49] * Hatbot (~Hatbot@24.174.51.230) has joined #evildunes
01[21:49] <Seira> roll 1d100
06[21:49] * Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d100 and gets 52." [1d100=52]
[21:49] <Kotono> This time your teleport is without incident. You eappear on the outskirts of the village, byt he lake.
06[21:50] * Seira knows the route, and decides to go and see the inn that was damaged by their battle
[21:58] <Kotono> Seira approaches the inn. She finds a band of elves working on it, restoring the damage. The front has been torn down, working on the inside and working towards the outside.
06[21:59] * Seira hangs unobtrusively and listens to their conversation until she's noticed. That would be her chance to inquire if there's anything she can help with.
[22:04] <Kotono> OOC: Are you trying to outright hide or..."?
01[22:05] <Seira> OOC: No, just hanging back without obstructing their work, you know?
[22:05] <Kotono> OOC: Okay.
[22:06] <Kotono> They don't talk too much at first, working away on a side wall. After about a half hour, they take a break. They chat over water and berries, talking about how they hope to have the side wall done in a few days. As they talk, one looks Seira's way, nudges another one an dlooks to her. Soon a few of them are looking at her, and one calls, "Is something the matter, traveler?"
01[22:08] <Seira> And this is her cue! "It looks like a lot of work," she says, nodding lightly in the direction of the wall. "Was there a fire?"
[22:09] <Kotono> "Monsters," One of the elves makes a strange sign with his hands, shielding away evil. "There was a battle here, out of the complete blue."
06[22:11] * Seira recoils, mirroring the warding. "How terrible! Was it recent?"
[22:13] <Kotono> "A little while ago." Another elf answers, "Did you hear about it and the miracle afterwards?"
06[22:15] * Seira gives him a strange look, as if she would be there, acting surprised if you already knew all about it. "No," she responds, shaking her head. "I'm afraid not."
01[22:15] <Seira> *if she
[22:17] <Kotono> "One of the victims returned to life." There's some murmurings about it, "Real magic."
01[22:19] <Seira> This is an actual surprise for Seira, and she doesn't even have to fake it or her interest. "Oh? Who was it? How was it? Death-- I mean-- I probably shouldn't ask, but...."
[22:22] <Kotono> "The story's jumbled. Something about scrolls and a traveler. A human, no less."
01[22:23] <Seira> "A human woman?" Seira asks on a hunch. "Wearing a cloak? Just left without asking for any reward after delivering her miracle?"
[22:24] <Kotono> "That sounds right," One of the elves nods slightly.
01[22:26] <Seira> "I never believed I would hear another story about her," Seira muses, shaking her head in wonder. "I've been traveling from the east, and there is another village where she stopped just long enough to save children from a troll." She looks uncertain for a brief moment. "At least I think it would be the same woman. How many human mages can travel through the countryside?"
[22:34] <Kotono> "Not many," One ventures to guess. "Not many at all.":
01[22:38] <Seira> "Need some help with the reconstruction?" Seira offers suddenly. "If a visitor will go so far towards those she meets along the way, it's the least my pride would allow me to offer in turn!"
[22:40] <Kotono> "Go visit with the town elder. I know there's been money put into it already, but more couldn't hurt," One of the elves points, "There's a bakery over there. He's in there for lunch now, I think."
01[22:42] <Seira> "I think I will!" Seira agrees, smiling, and after making sure she has the directions for the bakery, heads there at a leisurely pace.
[22:45] <Kotono> The bakery is as Seira remembers it. The smell of fresh food and bread fills the air, a few elves about eating dinner. The town mayor is at a table, eating and resting. His eyes are distant as he eats, staring off into the watery sunlight.
01[22:47] <Seira> "Would you be the mayor?" Seira asks, coming closer. "Sorry to disturb your lunch like that, but I wanted to volunteer. For helping with the repairs to the inn, I mean."
[22:52] <Kotono> Startling and turning to Seira, "I was indisposed," He murmurs, "That is a generous offer, traveler. Thank you for your kindness." He rises and bows to Seira, "There is no need for it. The scions of the noble houses have made a concerted effort to ensure that the repairs will be done in a timely manner and taken care of."
01[22:54] <Seira> "That's just money, though, right?" Seira asks him. "There's actual work that remains to be done. I don't know how to explain it, but after hearing about your human visitor, I just got so fired up! I'd really like to do something, too!"
[22:55] <Kotono> "Do you know carpentry or woodworking," The mayor asks, "Or how to do repairs as such?"
01[22:56] <Seira> "Some of the former, but I've done all sorts of jobs as I traveled, so I'm pretty confident in my repairing skills!" Seira reports brightly.
[23:01] <Kotono> "Go ahead and go see the workers outside and tell them that. If they'll take you, you're welcome to help." The mayor says.
01[23:03] <Seira> She seems to be going back and forth a lot, but since that's the only way to eventually get ahead....
01[23:03] <Seira> "Thanks! It's an honor to be a part of this!"
06[23:03] * Seira follows the instructions, and returns to the construction site.
[23:04] <Kotono> You find the elves just starting to get back to work. One of them, with brown hair like tree bark, turns back. "Back again?"
02[23:07] * Demedais (~ferixstad@24-247-151-205.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com) Quit (Ping timeout)
01[23:07] <Seira> "This is where I'd need to be if I were to help," Seira returns with a smile. "The mayor told you to decide where I could do the most good. Now, I've done a bit of everything during my travels, but my abilities in design and construction are something I'm especially proud of!"
[23:08] <Kotono> "You know how to do this work?" He asks, "Mind proving it?"
01[23:09] <Seira> "What do I need to do?" Seira asks with just a hint of challenge. She's not too worried, as she's always picked up on things pretty quickly, and that's even without Lagann around to help her by providing a second opinion.
[23:11] <Kotono> "We're rebuilding that part of the wall." Pointing at a half finished side wall, "Slot some of the wood into place?"
06[23:13] * Seira hasn't been studying the workers for nothing. Even if it weren't her true focus, her mind catalogued everything, placing all sorts of tiny, irrelevant details into the recesses of her mind, ready to be drawn out at a moment's notice. She's helped with the rebuilding effort before, but that's not enough. She'll do one better and follow their methods to be accepted.
[23:14] <Kotono> OOC: Make an int check then? Basically untrained craft.
01[23:14] <Seira> roll 1d20+12
06[23:14] * Hatbot --> "Seira rolls 1d20+12 and gets 23." [1d20=11]
[23:17] <Kotono> Seira works with all eyes on her! She does the task and does it well, the wood fitted in without any flaws. As she finishes, the elf nods his head, "Well, I'll..." He stops himself, "You're skilled enough."
01[23:19] <Seira> "Thanks," she tells him, grinning and offering her hand. "I'm Xerandalla. Let's get along well!"

Corwin

[19:15] <Kotono> ----
[19:18] <Kotono> Seira spends the next few days learning the job. Her superior mind lets her pick up on things with stupifying speed, learning everything she can as fast as she can. With an extra hand that shows an unbeliable flair for learning, the work gains acceleration. At the end of the fourth day, the side walls are done and it's time to finish up the next day or two by putting up the front. That evening, the group is standing outside the tavern at s
[19:18] <Kotono> front. That evening, the group is standing outside the tavern at sunset. As you look over your handiwork, "Have to admit your'e damned good," one of them says to Seira.
01[19:19] <Seira> "I believe that anything is possible with effort!" Seira chirps in response.
[19:21] <Kotono> "Where'd you learn to work like this," Another asks, "You're stronger than yo ulook, too."
06[19:23] * Seira pouts. "I can't tell if you're praising me or insulting me, you know!" she mutters, but keeps her tone of voice light enough. "I said I travel all over, right? And I travel on my own. I have to be, pretty much, and I mentioned that I pick all sorts of things here and there from the very start."
[19:24] <Kotono> "Hehhehe," Laughing to Seira, "Your uncouth, but you're full of surprises."
[19:25] <Kotono> Another goes to Seira and gently clasps her shoulder, "Xerandalla, let's all of us go have some wine to celebrate our progress."
01[19:26] <Seira> "I sometimes even surprise myself, just a tad, to keep life interesting," Seira responds with a smile. "Wine, was it? I'm game."
03[19:28] * finditkindafunnyfinditkindasad is now known as taifk
03[19:31] * Ebiris (WinNT@user-5af2cad0.tcl128.dsl.pol.co.uk) has joined #evildunes
03[19:31] * ChanServ sets mode: +ao Ebiris Ebiris
[19:36] <Kotono> ---
03[19:36] * Ebiris is now known as Alicia
[19:37] <Kotono> Ah, memories. Seira's been to Saul's house in the Citadel before. A polite servant escorts her in, bowing as she enters the rich mansion. "Ma'am," she murmurs. "Shall I inform the master that you're here?"
01[19:38] <Seira> Somehow, it doesn't feel like home. Must be the formality, Seira muses to herself. "That would be appreciated," she returns, nodding at the servant.
[19:44] <Kotono> Seira is lead through childhood halls and memories. The mansion has been pleasantly restored, paint freshed and plants rejuvenated. Saul is found looking over a ledger, writing away. He looks up, putting down an ink quill. "Ah, so you've returned home?"
01[19:45] <Seira> How ironic! "Something like that," she agrees. "I was passing through Pallanth, and since I've been hoping to get a minute or two of your time, it felt like a good opportunity."
06[19:45] * Seira walks up to Saul and gives him a hug, smiling as she lets go. "But if you're too busy for that, a simple visit is fine, too."
[19:50] <Kotono> "All smiles," Saul straightens up after the hug, "Are you happy to see me, or do you have a plan in motion? Or both?"
01[19:51] <Seira> "Don't be silly, Dad, of course it's both!"
[19:52] <Kotono> "Excellent! I was afraid you were going sentimental." LEading Seira out and into a rich, well appointed room that glitters with gold all over, "So what's the scheme, Seira?"
01[19:54] <Seira> "I'm not really scheming," Seira responds, choosing the gaudiest sofa of the three present to sit herself in. "But my plans are about ready to advance to the next stage. The problem is that I'm not sure which one it'd be, so I figured I'd start by passing the torch over to you and asking you about the progress your team has made on the restoration of the wastes. Is it still a distant, future dream?"
[19:57] <Kotono> "Well." Putting his feet up and resting back in a deep, stuffed chair made of interwoven leaves and soft cotton, "With all we have - the shard of positive energy from Irenes' fortress, the knowledge we've gathered, some hints here and there? It's possible. The main trick is going to be having enough power to make it work, I think."
01[19:57] <Seira> "How about raw magic and permanency?"
[20:03] <Kotono> "No good." Shaking his head, "This isn't something that works like that. This is far, far more primal. Mortal magic as we know it is insufficient to mend these wounds. That shard is a big part of the key to this puzzle, but we still need a lot of raw power."
01[20:06] <Seira> "But the same kind of power, you mean..." Seira muses out loud, nodding to herself. "Well, we know getting Teleportation Circle scrolls is a definite possibility. How about a Gate scroll? It should work for just under a minute, and if we devise a ritual that utilizes it and open it to the plane of positive energy...."
06[20:07] * Seira considers this a bit further. "If we open the Gate from this plane, nothing from the destination would be able to go through except actual energy."
[20:08] <Kotono> "Risky, but I think it may be an excellent catalyst," Saul nods, "It's worth trying. If we can flood a bit of the wastes with positive energy, we can study how it impacts the area. Of the most interest is if it's a permanent cure for that part or just a temporary repreive."
01[20:11] <Seira> "I'm not sure it's really that risky if we prepare properly," Seira says doubtfully. "It's not an inherently dangerous place, especially if used in moderation, and I could drop the spell if things go wrong.
01[20:11] <Seira> A few seconds of exposure would tell us at least that, and I doubt the impact from that would be stronger than from continual exposure to the shard we currently have. If that didn't somehow make the wastes implode in all this time and through all your testing, we should be fine, or have a safety zone where we could abort before anything horrible happens."
[20:16] <Kotono> "If you prepare properly, it isn't. Good." Looking up to Seira, "You're aware that too much positive energy is fatal as too much negative energy?"
01[20:17] <Seira> "That's why I mentioned moderation first and foremost," Seira confirms. "We can take precautions, and nothing alive is in the area for hundreds of miles. The only ones who might be affected are the lingering ghosts, and even in their case, it might be a lucky release."
[20:18] <Kotono> "I have no idea in the case of outsider ghosts." Saul muses, "But otherwise, yes. A few miles to the south or west of Irenes' old home should be sufficient for a simple test. Or maybe a little further, just ot make sure the shard there doesn't interfere."
06[20:21] * Seira raises her eyebrows. "Don't we want to try the spell with it? We could devise a ritual to supercharge it, or use it as a focus, a lense that would spread that power onwards while diluting the individual effects, much like turning a localized geyser into sprinkling rain for dozens of miles all around it."
[20:31] <Kotono> "Not the first time. The first time, we try it just to see what happens. If something unexpected happens an we lose that shard, we've suffered a big setback," Saul explains, "The first time is a test, nothing more. Once it's done we can try stronger and more focused measures."
01[20:32] <Seira> "If you're paying, who am I to argue?" Seira asks with a predatory smile.
[20:35] <Kotono> "Why Seira, would you make your own man pay with his own coin for this, while you revel in endless riches of battle and plunder?" Saul raises an eyebrow.
[20:36] <Kotono> *old man
06[20:36] * Seira makes a show of tapping the knuckles of her right hand against the solid gold adorning her sofa. "Mmm, shiny."
[20:38] <Kotono> "If only that was my own gold. But it's all dedicated as a monument to Waukeen's glory," With a deep sigh, "My riches are her riches. If only!"
01[20:39] <Seira> "And they'll continue to be Her riches. Just in some lucky angel's hand."
[20:42] <Kotono> "Ah, perhaps I will sacrifice a little bit for Waukeen's glory..." Saul considers, "Perhaps." Looking to Seira, "Where will you be getting those scrolls? I don't think Celebrimbor's up to the great ninth circle, nor is your friend Countess Stronger in Balmuria."
[20:42] <Kotono> "I want details, not just a vague answer about an angel's hand," Saul adds as plit secon ldater.
[20:42] <Kotono> *second later.
01[20:44] <Seira> "We do have someone, right here, who could make one, but I think asking him's a bust. My plan is fairly simple. Brightwater or Mechanus. Either should have a scroll such as this, and planar travel is something I can accomplish."
03[20:46] * taifk is now known as finditkindafunnyfinditkindasad
[20:48] <Kotono> "It's possible. Why Mechanus, though. Last time I remember, you were on the outs with them over a Kolyarut." Saul narrows his eyes, "So what's the reason there?"
01[20:49] <Seira> "I still am, for now. But Demedais has a contact of some sort there. I'm unclear on the details, but it was enough to get a Teleportation Circle scroll. That gives me an opening to try for Gate, too. If that fails, the money's safe for the time being, so it's a win-win situation, I'd say."
[20:50] <Kotono> "Mmmm. Good luck there." Saul relaxes back into his chair, "When will you be going off to the great beyond?"
01[20:52] <Seira> "I'll try to play it safe and try to arrange it via Sendings. It would really depend on the other party." Seira conjures up several scenarios, trying to pick the best approach, before realizing she's taking too long and tabling it for the time being. "I suppose that's our progress here. Mind if I ask you for some insight?"
03[20:52] * Rei-chan (Rei-chan@user-5af2cad0.tcl128.dsl.pol.co.uk) has joined #evildunes
[20:53] <Kotono> "Insight's free to family," Saul smiles, "Ask away."
01[20:53] <Seira> roll 1d20+17
[20:53] <Rei-chan> Seira rolled : 1d20+17 --> [ 1d20=6 ]{23}
01[20:56] <Seira> "I want to have the best angle to meet with King Lorthan and have him listen to my request, and I want to be at my best for my presentation," she states. "What would your suggestions be?"
[20:58] <Kotono> "Dress well, look and speak the part. Be polite, know when tos peak and when to listen. You should know most of that or I wasted a lot of money on tutors." Saul strokes his chin, "A present to the court may work if it's done right, but if not it may appear to be petty bribery beneath someone of your stature."
01[21:00] <Seira> "The last thing I want is for this to have the appearance of bribery, so I'll avoid that pitfall," Seira says thoughtfully. "What about securing the actual meeting? The way I understood it, it is highly irregular to receive a private audience."
[21:01] <Kotono> "It is. I can send a request along, as you're an emissary of an allied, friendly kingdom. Considering your prestige and stature, it should be able to be swung." Saul considers that, "No problem."
06[21:03] * Seira nods slowly. "I'd like that, just as long as it is understood that this is a private matter. An internal Pallanth matter, if anything, and not to do with my official position."
[21:05] <Kotono> "I'll make the distinction. Anything else I should know about how to set this up?"
01[21:07] <Seira> "That you don't know what it's about actually works for the best. Don't go the extra mile for this, Dad. I just need to get in the door, and I'll try to take it from there. If my plan is a stupid one, it would be best if you weren't personally connected to it, beyond merely passing a request on through the proper channels."
[21:10] <Kotono> "True, but by making it and being your father, I'm connected no matter what." With a lithe, light shrug, "So you can tell me."
06[21:13] * Seira looks uncertain. "Well, if you must know, much of it concerns Amaryl. I could talk to someone on the Council, of course, but if I go about it that way, I might be seen as a foreigner trying to meddle in Pallanth's internal affairs and unduly influencing it. I am, I suppose, trying to meddle, but I'm not actually plotting it covertly, so I'll attempt the direct approach and see where it gets me."
[21:15] <Kotono> "Ah. Amaryl..." Saul is quiet for a little time, "Very well, on that I'll take your word for it."
01[21:17] <Seira> "So!" Seira says, intent on shifting the subject. "Speaking of spellgems. Last I talked to Celebrimbor, he was having slow progress with the benign method of producing them, but given your presence and expertise, is there hope for any completed specimens? I would be in the market for one or two, naturally!"
[21:35] <Kotono> "I've been more busy, but yes. I'll talk to him while you're off at your meeting, once I set that up?"
01[21:39] <Seira> "Yeah, I get that part, being busy," Seira agrees, nodding once more. "It's just not as critical as the other matters, being more a matter of prestiege or research. As a society, we'll need that knowledge once we get far enough ahead to match the past glories, but it's just not the same as making certain the world's still here and not under fiendish control, right?"
[21:41] <Kotono> "Yes." Saul rises t to that, "Very well then, let me go put the gears into motion."
01[21:43] <Seira> "Sounds like fun," Seira agrees. "And dad, you're not going to miss this coming birthday, too, are you?"
02[21:48] * finditkindafunnyfinditkindasad (~ferixstad@76.235.172.133) Quit (Ping timeout)
03[21:52] * Taishyr (~ferixstad@adsl-76-235-172-133.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net) has joined #evildunes
03[21:52] * ChanServ sets mode: +o Taishyr
[21:57] <Kotono> roll 1d100
[21:57] <Rei-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d100 --> [ 1d100=33 ]{33}
[22:05] <Kotono> ---
[22:09] <Kotono> Thus Seira goes to her backyard. At high noon, a man appears there. He looks humanoid, with slightly gray-metallic skin. His features are symmetrical, pleasing to the eye. He wears a solid colored gold tunic and pants. He bows, "Seira of Balmuria?"
06[22:10] * Seira returns the bow. "Yes. I'm afraid I don't have your name."
[22:14] <Kotono> "Melem." He offers a  hand out to Seira, "Melem of the Third Line of Intermeet."
06[22:16] * Seira shakes the offered hand. "Would you like anything, such as a drink, perhaps, before we discuss my options?"
[22:17] <Kotono> "Let's go inside and talk?" Looking up to the clear sky, "A drink would be good."
06[22:22] * Seira plays the part of the host at that request, showing Melem in and then around the main area of the inn. It is a quick tour, and they end up at a corner table in the end, waiting for their drinks. It is secluded enough to discuss business, while having lively entertainment just across the room, to brighten up what might well be boring legalese.
[22:24] <Kotono> Melem listens to the bard sing about this and that, listening to red and gold dragons and a blue dragon attacking, then a white dragon's winter rampage. As drinks come and he takes a sip of his own, "So, let me go over the basics of what I understand. My boss had a friend of yours as a client, yes? A Demedais?"
01[22:26] <Seira> "Yes. I've wished to accompany Demedais on his business to Mechanus, but the herald announced in no uncertain terms that I would be liable to be arrested if I had done so. Atop the injustice of it all, which I'll spare you, I would like to challenge the sentence Mechanus has for me, and do so while having immunity for the duration of my stay there.
01[22:26] <Seira> It could be diplomatic immunity, if that makes things easier, but my main worry really stems from an Inevitable from Mechanus breaking his own rules to take me out. If there was one like it, who is to say more overzealous one won't try as well, unless I had something like this on my side?"
[22:29] <Kotono> "I got a brief of the situtation - I'll wnat you to go into more detail in a moment - and it sounds atypical. That will probably work in our favor if the Inevitable violated protocol. Hmmm...actually, tell me now. Tell me all about what happened and why."
01[22:32] <Seira> "Mmm." Seira takes a long sip from her drink. "It is a fact that I broke a contract I agreed to make. At the same time, however, the case is littered with extenuating circumstances, and expert opinion and character witnesses alike should favor me heavily."
[22:33] <Kotono> "Go on," Melem nods, "Tell me about thos extenuating circumstances. I'll need to hear them and make a judgment to how much they'll help."
01[22:36] <Seira> "Very well," Seira agrees, counting her reasons as she raises a digit for each, respectively. "I did not truly enter a contract with the intention of latter breaking it, so there were no false pretenses. I was coerced into making it, having it as the lesser of two evils, while my other option at the time was the endless torture of my very soul.
01[22:36] <Seira> I felt that the terms of our contract were, if not violated, then certainly pushed heavily against the boundaries set for them. The contract was already partially broken through no act of my own by a golden dragon resting in the higher planes." (more)
06[22:37] * Seira pauses. "I suppose the greatest ones of all are that I've kept every single contract before and since, and that the one to officially break it was Waukeen. As I was acting on the explicit advice of the patron of contracts, gained through the Commune spell, and she was the one who made it so, it was clearly judged acceptable."
[22:40] <Kotono> "Hmmm." After having a good listen and another drink, Melem hesitantly nods. "That's a lot of points. Okay, now what happened with the Kolayrut? What did he do to go out of bounds?"
01[22:44] <Seira> "And this is the other part, which should also have a bearing on my case," Seira responds. "As I'm not a repeat offender, nor should this act have appeared as particularly heinous, how did I get the attention of a Kolyarut to begin with? When we scried on Mechanus by accident, we were contacted, informed of our offenses and later told to pay a fine.
01[22:45] <Seira> The Kolyarut, however, refused to discuss matters, and the first I knew of him was when he literally shot me in the back, draining me. Following that, he even went so far as to take civillian hostages and approached my commanding officer to negotiate their exchange for me. Even if valid by the laws of Mechanus, that was a clear violation of our own.
01[22:45] <Seira> More so, he apparently traveled in the company of a fiend while trying to eliminate me, which doesn't strike me as particularly balanced. From his writings, later gained, we gathered that the fiend managed to affect the Kolyarut's judgement later on."
[22:47] <Kotono> "Mmm. The fiend is the main concern." Listening ot that and nodding along in a few places, "What sort of fiend was it? Do you know?"
01[22:48] <Seira> "I believe Waukeen to have confirmed for me that it was the archfiend Esthan. Perhaps you've heard of him? He did manage to make a name for himself in all sorts of places."
[22:49] <Kotono> "Not immediately, but fiends aren't my area of expertise. I'll look it up when I get back."With a brisk nod, "Can you prove he was influnencing the kolyarut?"
01[22:52] <Seira> "I can have a copy of the Kolyarut's journal prepared for you," Seira offers. "It wasn't easy to decipher, taking some time, but the writing style and tone clearly change the more he mentions being in the fiend's presence.
01[22:52] <Seira> Given all that I've recapped so far, is it that unlikely that a decision to send an Inevitable after me in the first place was unduly influenced by my fiendish enemies to tie me up with either fighting for my life or legal issues with Mechanus, while their own plans advance?"
[22:54] <Kotono> "It's...remotely possible. A fiend would have to have a ton of pull to be able to do that. Indirectly is easier, perhaps passing in a tip to the right ear about what you'd done and hoping Mechanus would act." Rubbing his chin now, "if it's that, someone could've gotten lucky. It's also entirely possible that your offense was simply noted and ruled worthy of intervention."
06[22:55] * Seira nods. "There could be many like it or, perhaps, more deserving, but if the hand sorting them into slots that decide where the complaints should go was affected in some way...." She trails off, shrugging. "It's not like a judge had to be bribed for something like this to occur."
03[22:56] * Taishyr is now known as Mykasi
06[22:57] * Seira snorts in sudden amusement. "And we haven't even once mentioned how skewed a world is, where breaking free of a fiend's hold is a capital offense punishable by death."
[22:57] <Kotono> "Highly unlikely. If one was somehow corrupted, it wouldn't last long." With a faint smile, "That's just how Mechanus is. It's not about right or wrong, it's just about the laws. It's the first lesson any good teacher on Mechanus law tells you."
01[22:59] <Seira> "I was thinking confoundment, actually, or telekinesis." Seira shrugs. "Besides, this doesn't have to be true, does it? It only has to have reasonable chances of such to create doubt. As long as we're don't twist the truth, it shouldn't matter if we're reaching in places."
01[23:00] <Seira> OOC: I meant 'certain' when I said the first 'true'
[23:02] <Kotono> Thinking on this a little, hands steepled together, "Listening to this, I think you'd have a decent chance of setting things right, or at least degrading it down to something you can atone or pay a fine or compensation for. Have you had any other inevitables sent after you after you destroyed that one?"
01[23:03] <Seira> "I, uh, actually didn't. I'm your client, right?"
[23:05] <Kotono> "Oh, I was under the impression it was neutralized, and yes." Nodding to that, "Is it on ice somewhere?"
01[23:08] <Seira> "Actually, Demedais destroyed it. I just didn't want to create trouble for him in case it broke some Mechanus rule. He did it to save the civillians abducted, you must understand, since the Kolyarut threatened they wouldn't survive if I wasn't handed over. Regardless of Demedais's wishes, that was impossible as I was away on urgent business at the time, and largely incommunicado."
[23:10] <Kotono> "Right." After a pause to process this, humming to himself, "So no other inevitables in pursuit. You must not be that high a priority then."
01[23:11] <Seira> "Or they've decided it's not cost-effective. I'm not a pushover, and I've learned a few things from that series of encounters. But why should I watch over my shoulder or be barred from an entire plane?"
[23:12] <Kotono> "Cost effectiveness doesn't enter into it if it's a serious offense. I know someone who they sent twenty improved kolyaruts after." With a hearty chuckle, "But you're right. Your offense isn't anywhere in that league and the lack of a second attempt is telling. You're also right, better to resolve this than risk an Inevitable showing up at the wrong time."
01[23:13] <Seira> "I also don't actually hold any strong ill will towards Inevitables, despite the bad blood caused by all this. It would be a shame to fight pointless battles."
[23:14] <Kotono> "Good. Now then, remember that it's possible that you may still have to pay a fine or do some sort of recompense to finish this matter.  Do you have a reserve of funds to call on in that contingency?"
01[23:17] <Seira> "I do, although if the fine is ridiculous or I get insulted too much, I might just decide to live with the excitement of potential ambush," Seira responds with another shrug. "So how would this work? Will you or someone working with you keep in touch with me? Or would I need to make an appearance in court myself?
01[23:17] <Seira> The only legal procedure we've experienced in Mechanus through Demedais was somewhat unusual, after all."
[23:20] <Kotono> "You won't come to Mechanus until you're ready to commit to this.  It'll take some preparation while we set up our case and make it as strong as we can. A few months, by your time reckoning? I'll be in touch every few weeks to give yo ua status report. Get in contact with me if anything relevant happens or if another Inevitable appears." A pause to wipe his mouth after he finishes with his drink, producing a clean gray cloth to do so. "Yes
[23:20] <Kotono> A pause to wipe his mouth after he finishes with his drink, producing a clean gray cloth to do so. "Yes, a Caim-Septus hearing on the quick would be."
01[23:22] <Seira> "I don't mind committing, if I'll get a fair hearing," Seira tells him.
[23:23] <Kotono> "When it's time then, I'll come for you." Rising, "I'll be in touch."
01[23:26] <Seira> "Sure thing. And you're always welcome if you feel like a visit," Seira says, likewise standing up.
[23:26] <Kotono> "I may take you up on that if I need to get first hand accounts of anything," Offering his hand out again, "Thanks for the drink."
06[23:27] * Seira shakes it with an amused smirk. "And you're also allowed to relax and take a day off, I hope. In any case, the offer's a standing one."
[23:28] <Kotono> "I'll take a day off once you're off the hook with Mechanus," Tipping his head towards Seira, "I try not to rest much when I'm on a case."
01[23:30] <Seira> "Touche."
[23:36] <Kotono> ---
[23:37] <Kotono> Amaryl is found at Elle's shop. Elle, Amaryl and Donald are all sitting around a suit of heavy looking, dented steel armor. Elle's currently looking at it, eyes glowing blue.
[23:37] <Kotono> "My guess?" Donald eyes it, "Something that takes a lot of lumps but keeps going. Resistance to physical harm?"
06[23:37] * Seira decides to take a look of her own at the magical aura.
[23:38] <Kotono> The item radiates faint magic.
01[23:39] <Seira> "Do I get a guess, too?" Seira asks from behind Donald.
[23:39] <Kotono> "Oh, Seira!" Donald turns, "Gah, we were all so wrapped up in studying this that we didn't even notice you'd come in!"
[23:40] <Kotono> "Way to state the obvious," Elle rolls her eyes, "Hello, Seira."
01[23:41] <Seira> roll 1d20+24
[23:41] <Rei-chan> Seira rolled : 1d20+24 --> [ 1d20=9 ]{33}
01[23:42] <Seira> "Hi." Seira gives a small wave. "Nondetection, if we're discussing the aura. That's my guess."
[23:43] <Kotono> "That's mine for the primary effect," Elle turns, "But I suspect it's just a mask for what this armor does." Tapping it with her knuckles, "I traded some scrolls and potions for it, and we've spent the afternoon ttrying to figure it out."
[23:43] <Kotono> Amaryl nods along, "It's mostly out of my depth, but I'm learing listening to it."
06[23:44] * Seira considers it briefly. "How about a targetted greater dispel, then?"
[23:46] <Kotono> "I could." Elle admits, "We're really getting nowhere just guessing at it, fun as it may be."
06[23:47] * Seira decides to try her luck with a regular one!
01[23:47] <Seira> roll 1d20+10
[23:47] <Rei-chan> Seira rolled : 1d20+10 --> [ 1d20=17 ]{27}
[23:48] <Kotono> The magic aura targeted is disrupted! A secondary aura springs up now.
06[23:48] * Seira is already studying the item, quite naturally. This is now a level playing field!
01[23:51] <Seira> "Maybe protection from the effects of certain spells?" Seira suggests. "Based on a globe of invulnerability?" A gleam enters her eyes, and she smiles. "Let's try it out! Donald, go put it on."
[23:51] <Kotono> Donald eyes Seira, "Do I look like I want to be a spell target today?
[23:51] <Kotono> "
01[23:51] <Seira> "Yes."
[23:51] <Kotono> Amaryl smiles, "Oh come now, Donald. Seira wouldn't harm you."
01[23:51] <Seira> "Much."
[23:52] <Kotono> Elle can't hide her smile, "She won't, I'm sure. Just do it, Donald."
[23:52] <Kotono> Eyeing Seira warily, "Well...okay," Donald says after Elle speaks, standing up. He starts removing his normal armor, tossing it aside as he changes into the battered set.
01[23:53] <Seira> "Along with the aura, the battered state might suggest that the best way to get at the wearer is through brute force," Seira explains her reasoning, while she waits for Donald to be done.
[23:54] <Kotono> "It might, or it's just not well maintained," Donald sighs and stands in front of Seira.
06[23:55] * Seira snorts. "Magical armor? Right." She levels her gaze on Donald, and tells him, "Don't resist," before casting Detect Thoughts.
06[23:58] * Seira is utterly stumped. 'Amaryl, please be honest with me,' she thinks, her mental voice grave, while pretending to observe the armor Donald is presently wearing.
[23:58] <Kotono> 'Yes?' Amaryl asks, as Donald watches. "Any ideas?"
[23:59] <Kotono> Elle goes over as well, "Did the spell work?" she asks Seira.
01[23:59] <Seira> "You better not resist until I say we're done," she mutters, casting another spell, this one intent on switching places with Donald. 'Do I... smell bad?' she thinks hesitantly. 'I don't see how that's possible, being a wizard!'
Session Time: Fri Aug 21 00:00:00 2009
[00:01] <Kotono> '...' Amaryl stares at Seira, as she and Donald change positions. 'You smell good.'
06[00:02] * Seira thoughtfully traces a claw across the armor, intent on nicking Donald's left hand.
[00:04] <Kotono> The claw smoothly passes over Donald's skin, unable to scratch him.
01[00:05] <Seira> 'Then Donald is just being mean,' Seira thinks back. "Got it on the third try, it seems." She narrows her eyes. "But maybe we should test it, just to make sure." She draws the Resort. "Isn't that right, Donald?"
[00:07] <Kotono> Donald steps back, holding up his hands. "If you got it, there's no need to test," Smiling hastily and taking another few steps back, "You smell great today, SEira! Has nayone mentioned that?"
01[00:07] <Seira> "Don't lie to me," she says, even as her eyes narrow further still. "And why are you even smelling me?!"
[00:09] <Kotono> "Lathander, Seira!" Stepping bakc, "Can't you take a joke! Come on, you think I can't identify Detect Thoughts when it's cast?"
06[00:10] * Seira rolls her eyes with a long-suffering sigh. "There are some things you don't joke about," she tells him tiredly, before turning her attention towards Elle. "It seems like a Stoneskin protective effect. I'll leave it to you to poke Donald with sharp needles to judge its effectiveness? I'm only here to steal Amaryl away, after all."
[00:11] <Kotono> "Donald, Seira's right," Elle crosses her arms now, "That's unkind to say to a proper lady."
[00:11] <Kotono> "Okay," Amaryl stands up, "Thank you for having me, Countess."
[00:12] <Kotono> As Donald hangs his head, Elle turns to Seira. "It was nice to se eyou. I'll stop by tonight to catch up with you and let you know how effective the armor is."
01[00:12] <Seira> "Next time I'm testing it with fireball," Seira mutters, before smiling at Elle. "I'm always there for you, of course!"
[00:13] <Kotono> With a smile and a wave, the two depart out. As they walk out, "Needed me for something, Seira?" Amaryl asks.
01[00:15] <Seira> "Besides just wanting to spend some time with you after getting back, you mean?" Seira nods. "I've recently decided to be more direct, but I also don't want to talk about some things around other people. I guess what I'm getting at is that I want to understand everyone better, and since you're very important to me, I wouldn't leave you out of this."
[00:19] <Kotono> "Oh." Amaryl smiles brightly to Seira, "Well..um...how about we talk over dinner then?"
01[00:21] <Seira> "How about I treat you, then?" Seira suggests in turn. "Someplace we don't usually go to. Just pick the spot."
[00:22] <Kotono> "How about we eat in," Amaryl blushes, "Just the two of us," With a movement as she takes Seira's hand, and in a low voice, "You've been busy lately."
01[00:25] <Seira> "I intend to take it slowly for the next few weeks," Seira muses out loud as they head the short distance back to their home. She pauses only briefly to ask for some dinner to be brought over to their room, but Amaryl has all of her attention.
01[00:25] <Seira> "It takes time to advance my goals, and I've already done all I can for most of them at this juncture. There's always more... but if I overextend myself like that, I'm just as likely to end up driving the people close to me away, and I don't want that."
[00:28] <Kotono> "You don't have to do everything in the world. There's just one Seira," Amaryl smiles warmly to her, sitting down next to her, holding her hand. "I'm patient, though."
01[00:32] <Seira> "It can be hard, judging where to stop," Seira admits. "Especially since I enjoy what I do." She shakes her head briefly. "But it's not about me. I'm... well, I'm worried that you haven't spoken of Pallanth. Or even tried to visit any of the childhood friends you once mentioned having. I can't begin to tell how you're feeling about this, so I decided to take a risk and ask directly."
[00:33] <Kotono> "Well..." Amaryl bites her lip, "Balmuria isn't really my home, not yet. It's still new and fresh to me and I don't understand how humans think deeply." Playing with a lock of her hair, "But Pallanth isn't my home now, so I'm focusing on here to make Balmuria my home."
01[00:34] <Seira> "What if you made both equally your home?"
[00:37] <Kotono> "I could, but..." Amaryl just smiles and shrugs, "I'm happy in Balmuria with you, Seira."
06[00:41] * Seira smiles at that, supporting her chin one her clasped hands as she gazes at Amaryl. "I'm not saying it right. I want us to stay here as well. But home is more than just a place to live. It's an... it's an important attachment. Pallanth was such a large part of our lives. Is it alright to just cut it off, and wait until we can just treat it as a regular neighboring country? Doesn't it feel awkward?"
[00:42] <Kotono> "I made my choice and I don't regret it." Looking into Seira's eyes with a gentle, warming smile, "Maybe one day. But a few days, years or decades won't matter to us. What's 20 or 40 years to a dragon and an elf?"
01[00:47] <Seira> "I can't help but worry," Seira voices. "I wonder, sometimes, if it was really a clearcut choice, between one or the other. And if you might regret it one day, isn't it better to see if we can do something about it, rather than wait for that possibility to blindside us?" She sighs, strangely melancholic.
01[00:47] <Seira> "It's strange. The more complete a split exists, the more I'm uncertain whether it should. Were the differences truly that irreconcilable? Fey might be one thing, but can't we get along with other elves, or find some common path in life that benefits us all?"
[00:47] <Kotono> "Oh, I see..." Amaryl reaches out, cupping Seira's cheek. "You're still thinking about Neve, aren't you?"
01[00:51] <Seira> "Neve. Kesse. You. I pushed you just as much as I had in every other situation, and it was fine as long as things were going my way. But if they start collapsing, I can't escape the doubts," Seira says miserably.
01[00:51] <Seira> "The only reason you left was because I forced the issue by asking you to leave early with only a note behind. And it was just as a prank, at that. Maybe if I kept at it, I could have won your family over, and you wouldn't be forced to choose.
01[00:51] <Seira> I was really angry at them at the time, but maybe that's just because I wasn't objective. They can't have been all bad if you stayed all that time, could they?"
[00:52] <Kotono> "Seira. I love you." Amaryl whispers, "Don't regret what you did with me. I...can't...and I won't stand for it. In the poetics, you are like the man who had the sun and wanted the moon as well. Should you not be content with what you've done, instead of mourning for what more you could do?"
01[00:59] <Seira> "I'm happy when I'm with you," Seira states with conviction. "I just also have a constant need to... fix things. Everything. It's very important to me, and I feel like something is missing when I don't try my best."
01[00:59] <Seira> She leans into Amaryl's touch. "There is this voice inside me, insisting I could do it here as well. Do something. But you're so important to me, that for the first time in my life I'm not sure if I should listen to it."
[01:00] <Kotono> "Seira, I'm happy. You don't need to fix anything with me right now..." Leaning in closer to her, "Okay? Just be here with me."
01[01:05] <Seira> "I guess I'll tell it to take a break, then," Seira promises quietly, meeting Amaryl halfway.