News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

How Goes Your Offsite Gaming?

Started by Dracos, July 23, 2012, 06:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Hum.  Who decided there wouldn't be a topic like this?  A convenient place to yammer on the games going on in Real Life that aren't here?

Well, no point making a bad decision worse.  Here's a place to Yammer about what's going on your various weekly games, show off fun stories, and even find out shared games that you didn't think were going on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last weekend I had my second Pathfinder RL game session in ages.  Brian DM'd and a small crowd was gathered around the table all of sunday.  Fun was had by all, our cleric almost got eaten by Wargs, but they decided he tasted too pathetic and spared him.  The DM learned that Darkness Really Sucks and there's a reason blindfight builds are almost verboten. 

Our cleric (THAT GUY) continues his aggressive efforts to get booted from the campaign.  So...I share this session's two "That Guy" stories.

Story 1:
Warg versus Cleric -

So our party has two effective scout characters.  Brun the Monk and Lawerence the Scout.  Usually by virtue of having way more HP, I take front until I take some damage, then swap.  We were pretty deep in the dungeon at this point, beside a door and some stairs.  Naturally, we do our due diligence and checking on the door...hearing nothing I open it.  It seems to be a stable, though most of the place is obscured by high wooden walls.  I roll perception.  Nat 20.  Cool.  I start scouting with our usual "check a room, wave party forward" pattern that has lead to us repeatedly slaughtering high CR encounters before they knew what hit them.

Cleric sees there's a second side of the stables.  He wants to shine.  He goes over...and runs down the stables!  All the way on the other side of the stables from our party of slow movers (Typical party speed is 20).  I hear this and try and hurry over as I sense "Badness".  DM lets this fly (He should've called me on it, added to the death rate~).

Anyhow...Cleric gets to the edge of the stables and hears "Help me" in common from the next slot over.  Underground, in a place nobody should be, that's swarmed with monsters.

He steps out quickly into the next stall.  Two wargs leap at him from either side.  The DM pulls some increasingly kind 'Spare the Character' stuff, walking the taken down to 1 hp guy in how not to provoke extra AoO attacks while trying to not get murdered.  Then has the wargs lose interest, as the rest of our party spends two rounds trying to catch up.

He burns all his spells recovering from his stupidity.

"We need to stop and rest here.  Otherwise the party is screwed because I'm out of spells."

*glances at effectively max hp party and wand of CLW in his hands*

"Yeah, I think we'll continue on our mission."

Story 2:
Which didn't go nearly as awesomely as it should.

So we get to our portal that we have to blow up.  The 72 hour time limit is destroyed by a massive <10 hour dungeon rush of doom without pause.  The drow officers, minotaurs, and ogres are slaughtered by team "We're level 2.  TWO!"  So...what does the party do?

"Let's make sure our escape route is clear before we set off the bomb."

We go back, and sure enough, there's a couple of ogres blocking the way up.  Narrow hallway, one ogre at a time.  Half-orc Fighter and dwarvish monk are up front.  Archers in the back.  Pretty much a good setup for our victory as we can get 5-6 attacks off a round and they can only get one.

So naturally the cleric doesn't start shooting his bow, but tries to shove his way past the monk.

"You can tumble past!"

"...And put myself as flanked between ogres?  Besides, why do the risky thing when our archers can pepper them?"

He sees sense as the whole party comes down on him.  We walk forward.  Archers lay in, orc slashes violently. I roll double natural twenties on a flurry and demolish the first ogre entirely in an epic bit.  This is going smoothly...

"Okay, so I run past the monk and attack the other Ogre."

"...Weren't we just here a moment ago?  Didn't we just go over that it's a bad idea to block the melee tanks from closing with the bad guys?"

The Ogre brings his club down.

Cleric senses the disapproval and tumbles to provide room.  Brun simply waits for the idiocy to end.

The Ogre catches him midway through and sends him into negative hp.  Nobody is surprised.

Well, no.  He rolls a series of natural 20s and survives barely a fight that should've been almost zero risk.  Shame, but it could've been awesome.

Mmm...  Maybe I should be long-winded about it.  Yes, that would probably lead to the most entertaining outcome.  *begins The Journal of Brun Rockfist*
Well, Goodbye.