News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

ECB call to arms

Started by Brian, September 27, 2012, 04:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Quote from: Xsen on October 02, 2012, 06:25:20 AM
Just wanted to clarify, are you guys just commenting on this fic or rewriting it to see if anything better can be made?

You see, I somehow managed to read it through, and if it is the latter, I'd love to see the result... :)

Rewriting it would be a waste of anyone here's time and talents.  I mean the entire thing can be DPR'd as:

New Author Wants Haruhi.
Brainwashes her to be his soldier/lover.
Murders Kyon.
Happily Ever After.  The Endz.
Well, Goodbye.

Xsen

Is that comment log available for general folks like me then?

Quote from: Dracos on October 02, 2012, 10:36:46 PM

Rewriting it would be a waste of anyone here's time and talents.  I mean the entire thing can be DPR'd as:

New Author Wants Haruhi.
Brainwashes her to be his soldier/lover.
Murders Kyon.
Happily Ever After.  The Endz.

Totally! I kind of thought for a sec that rewriting something this awful could be quite a challenge, but then again it's just not worth the time wasted.

alethiophile

The ECB (which is kind of MST-format, lines of the original fic interspersed with commentary) will presumably be published publicly once we've gone through all the chapters and polished them up. I don't really know about that side of it, so I'll leave it to Brian.

Brian

Yes, it will be posted here since I don't have a way to e-mail the author.

Traditionally, the author is e-mailed, but that tradition is from a time when e-mail addresses weren't as hard to discern as they are these days.  Also, the entire thing won't fit in ff.net's messaging system.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

alethiophile

Will the entire thing fit in a review? (If not, of course, can just post a link to it in a review.)

Brian

No, the reviews are capped at 10k.

Links also don't survive on ff.net to defeat spammers.  Which will make it very difficult.

~exploding tag~

alethiophile

There's about fifty thousand tricks to get around the link filtering. I think it's still worth doing.

Brian

Whew, okay, we're now at around, mm, I think 65% complete.  I'll do the editing on chapter 3 tonight/tomorrow.  Let me know if anyone else wants to do editing so we don't conflict--

Chapter four, we may skip/rush some sections of because they're more boring than anything else, but there are parts that are absolutely worth tearing into.  Hoping to try and get to that on Friday, let's aim for 6:00 PM PST.

Ideally, we'll be able to get through the last chapter on Saturday, and then can have a few days to edit.  Cannot wait to have this behind us; it's a surprising amount of work.

Massive props for everyone's who's stuck it out so far. :)

~exploding tag~

Grahf

I wish I wouldn't have forgotten that one of the irc sessions was tonight *sigh*.

Oh well, looking forward to reading the lampooning.

Brian

I'm surprised a bit at how many people want this to happen. >_>;

No pressure, or anything. :p

~exploding tag~

Grahf

Heh, it's all in good fun.

This is probably the closest I've come to seeing a decent length text variation of the good old MST3K lambasting. Mean spirited? Perhaps. Deserved? Definitely.

Brian

Okay, let me know if anyone wants to make further edits on chapter three.  Initial edit is done.

~exploding tag~

Grahf

By the way. You mentioned a dropbox. Is there a link to that? I'm guessing it's your regular one, but I can't remember the address to it. Although if you'd rather anyone who isn't editing wait until it's done then that's understandable as well.

Brian

Yeah, trying to keep that to contributors only at the moment.  I'm ... not sure if anyone has the original logs?  But join us on Friday, you can sufferenjoy the process with us!

~exploding tag~

Grahf

I really wish I could, honestly. I was kicking myself for missing the Wednesday session because it was one night when I wasn't at work while you guys were discussing it.

I suppose those are the breaks for having a job that goes from 12:30 to 9:00PM PST. *shrugs*