054.5 Afina and Jaela in Elysium

Started by Corwin, October 22, 2012, 02:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

[19:54] <Kotono> Deeply Jaela meditates on her sense of self. Her sense of being. Soon it feels as if there are two - the pain and herself. Focusing, slowly the pain begins to recede a little further back. It is a long, draining effort, but Jaela feels a little better when she awakens. Waiting in her bedroom is not a redhead, but instead a familiar steam pixie.
[19:55] <Jaela> "Hi."
[19:55] <Afina> "Hello, feeling any better?" Afina asks, fluttering down from the windowledge she'd been sitting on.
[19:56] <Jaela> "A bit," Jaela responds, stretching. "I'm getting myself a drink, want anything?"
[19:58] <Afina> "No thanks," Afina shakes her head, "I wanted to see if you wanted to come with me to Elysium. I need to find the 'first embers of goldenfire' there for a weapon against Destiny."
[19:58] * Jaela sticks to water for a change. "Sure. Do you know where to go?"
[19:59] <Afina> "Only vaguely. It's in Thalasia and the House of Nature. Although it's also Elysium's only volcano so hopefully that'll make it easier."
[20:01] * Jaela nods. "Yeah, it really should when we get directions once there."
[20:03] <Afina> "Good. Need to rest or prepare any further before heading out? I've heard everyone's been pretty fouled up by the after-effects of visiting Auril and killing Abigor."
[20:04] <Jaela> "I think I'm on the right track myself," Jaela says with a shrug. "Not so sure what to do with Tepen or Adrian, so a trip to a heaven might give me a clue. I'm good to go."
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

[20:11] <Kotono> On teleporting, you appear in an open field. Sunlight shines down on you...aaaah. It's warm here. A warm that banishes the normal chill from Afina, despite not being warm at all. The sunlight seems to seep into her, warming her deeply. The air smells clean to Jaela, clean, clear and wonderful. Everything seems more vivid, just like Ysgard. The colors are brighter, the air is better, the
[20:11] <Kotono> sounds are sharper.
[20:12] <Jaela> "Meditating here might be even better, come to think of it," Jaela muses. "Something to think of, for later."
[20:14] <Afina> "It is very pleasant," Afina nods. "Lets go look around and see if we can find anyone to ask for directions," she suggests, looking around the field for landmarks first or otherwise setting off on a random direction.
[20:15] <Kotono> roll 1d100
[20:15] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 83." [1d100=83]
[20:15] <Jaela> "The best course of action for visiting a heaven," Jaela readily agrees.
[20:18] <Kotono> You wander for hours in this seemingly endless, sun soaked field. Each step is a sublime pleasure, the world itself so vibrant as to be an experience to be savored. Ahead you can see a cluster of sunsoaked fieldstone - perhaps feldspar or something similar. Around this cluster dance snakes. These snakes are golden striped with the faces of beautiful women. They slither around this circle,
[20:18] <Kotono> singing in unearthly voices and wordless words, praising the glory of the sun.
[20:20] <Afina> It always pays to be polite and patient in these situations, so Afina lands nearby the nagas and waits till they finish singing and can talk.
[20:23] <Kotono> They continue - save for one. One of the naga peels off from the group, slithering over to Afina and Jaela. With a hiss beofre it speaks, "Welcome. Do you soft ones wish to join us in offering hymns?"
[20:25] * Afina shakes her head. "We're looking for directions if you can help us," she explains. "We need to find Elysium's only volcano, we were told it's somehow connected with the House of Nature and Thalasia, but we don't know exactly where."
[20:26] <Jaela> "Have you heard of it before?" Jaela adds curiously.
[20:29] <Kotono> "I don't know of any volcanoes here," The naga admits, "Perhaps," A hiss before it goes on, "Travel in the direction of the sun? That will lead to a settlement."
[20:31] <Jaela> "Thank you, we'll do that," Jaela says, glancing at Afina. "Sounds like a plan?"
[20:31] <Afina> "We'll try that, then," Afina nods her head, "Lets go," she agrees with Jaela, starting in the direction of the sun, "And thank you," is added to the helpful naga.
[20:38] <Kotono> Thus you continue on. More hour of this tireless wandering. Jaela's wounds still ache, but it's less obvious and easier to put out of mind. The warmth of the sun doesn't hurt - it seems to subtly soothe the pains. In time you come to a small pond which flows out into a brook, which slowly widens into a stream. Following this stream, you come to a settlement indeed. It is a farming settlement
[20:38] <Kotono> - fields and farmhouses, with a cluster of several dozen buildings in the center.  Fieldhands work away, all looking to be mortals. The work seems to be merry, made up of as much play as actual effort. All the fields look to be full of plenty, an easy and heavy harvest.
[20:39] <Afina> Rather than just blindly asking everyone, Afina decides to  try and make their search more directed. Flying towards the nearest group of farmers, she greets them with a "Hello!" intending on asking them who's the nearest expert on Elysium's geography.
[20:44] <Kotono> The farmers are all the strong sort, forged by manual labor. "Lookie here," One drawls, "A fairy! One of the Lords and Ladies!"
[20:45] <Afina> "I'm no Lady... or a Lord," she allows out of consideration for her androgynous appearance. Though her clothes are blatantly feminine she supposes that doesn't *really* mean anything. "My name's Afina, and this is Jaela. We're trying to find someone who knows a lot about Elysium and the House of Nature's geography."
[20:47] * Jaela can't help but wonder why someone would choose to work on a farm as their final reward. Isn't it supposed to be more dangerous than serving in the army?
[20:47] <Kotono> Another man - a head full of green hair, standing out amid the more normal colorings of his friends - points towards the center of town. "Kalet over in town travels around a lot. He's in the Suncircle."
[20:47] <Jaela> "Thanks!"
[20:48] <Afina> "Thank you, yes. Enjoy the rest of your day," Afina smiles before fluttering onwards to the town!
[20:51] <Kotono> The Suncircle isn't hard to find. It's a circular building without a roof. Within field stones form circle after circle, smaller each time as the get towards the center. The center circle is just big enough for a man to sit. He is indeed a man, youthful and young. He wears white and gold robes, a golden medallion of the sun hanging from  his neck.
[20:51] <Jaela> "Kalet?" Jaela calls out to him, waving in greeting.
[20:54] <Kotono> He stays sitting, face dappled in bright sunshine. "That's me," he says with exuberance. "Hello there! Come in, come in! Don't disturb any of the stones, but come in!"
[20:55] <Jaela> "Sure thing!" Jaela agrees, approaching. "I'm Jaela, and this is Afina. You travel a lot, we hear?"
[20:56] <Afina> Fluttering safely over the stones, Afina nods as she's introduced.
[20:56] <Kotono> "Oh yes, yes, yes." Nodding along with himself, gesturing far and wide, "It's part of my origin, you see, my introduction to the faith and how I got here. It's a grand story of a young boy thrown to the winds of fate as the result of an errant magus, and who overcame through pure pluck and skill long enough to find what he needed. A wonderful story, but that's not why you're here. Yes, I
[20:57] <Kotono> travel all the time. Endless wanderlust is my blessing."
[20:57] <Jaela> "And what are the chances, we're wondering, that your travels took you to a volcano here in Elysium?"
[21:01] <Kotono> "Huh. I've never seen a volcano in Elysium," he answers, tapping his finger on his knee, "That sounds like something my brother would know about. He spends his time collecting oral histories and lore in Elysium, you wouldn't believe how good he is at it. Talk to him a minute and you'll end up chatting for hours. He'll get everything out of you that he wants, and you won't even realize it,
[21:01] <Kotono> and it's part of his gift, really."
[21:02] <Afina> "That might take a while for us," Afina notes, "Unless he just cares about what happened in Elysium then not so much. Where would we find your brother?"
[21:06] <Kotono> "Four buildings down," He says, "You'll know it when you see it - it stands out since he build it himself."
[21:06] <Afina> "Thank you, we'll go look," Afina nods and then flutters off!
[21:08] <Jaela> Echoing Afina, Jaela follows the pixie!
[21:09] <Kotono> From there the two go a few houses down. This building stands out - instead of field stone this one is made entirely of bright red brick. An open archway allows entrance, no door to be found. Within is an ceilingless living room, a few counches and similar things about. You also find another person - another youthful young man, clad much as Kalet was. His voice is pure youthful energy - it
[21:09] <Kotono> brings to mind childhood, and a sudden and yet welcoming desire to babble or run around or do SOMETHING. "Hello! Oh, are you travelers?"
[21:10] <Jaela> "What gave us away?"
[21:12] <Kotono> "Everything," He answers, coming on over. "Maxam, nice to meet you."
[21:12] <Jaela> "Jaela," she says, offering her hand to him.
[21:14] <Afina> "Afina," the fairy says fluttering just behind Jaela. "Your brother recommended you for information, we're trying to find a volcano."
[21:16] <Kotono> "A volcano in Elysium?" Chuckling, "Just have to get a hotfoot?"
[21:18] <Afina> "It's where the first embers of goldenfire are, supposedly," Afina supplies. "But it's also supposedly hidden. Since no one seems to know any volcanoes here that seems likely."
[21:21] <Kotono> "Ooooh. So you've heard of that one. Come in and sit down," he offers, "That's a rare story!"
[21:22] <Afina> Fluttering in, Afina parks her bottom on the edge of an oversized seat.
[21:23] * Jaela sits down next to Afina in a seat just her size!
[21:24] <Kotono> Once seated, "So tell me about what you've heard. Not many people know that old story, and the various versions of it are usually divergent."
[21:25] <Jaela> This would be Afina's story to tell, and Jaela merely listens attentively.
[21:26] <Afina> "There's no story," Afina shakes her head. "I heard that the first embers of goldenfire are on Elysium. Asking around with angels I know, I was told first that there's a legend saying it's in a volcano, and then the other told me to seek out Thalasia and the House of Nature, and to not go alone since the entrance is split."
[21:27] <Kotono> "Mmm-hmmm." Nodding to this, "I can help you - I've winnowed down the lore into several leads, and I'm certain one of them will bear fruit." Maxam says, leaning forward, "In return, I ask for each of you to give me a good story."
[21:31] <Afina> "Do you have a preference for the type of story?" Afina asks, thinking.
[21:32] <Kotono> "Something good and mythic," He says, "The sort of story that's passed down for generations."
[21:35] <Jaela> "Plenty of those between the two of us, I think," Jaela muses. "Usually dealing with getting devils killed."
[21:36] <Afina> "They haven't been passed down any generations, though. Hmm, I'm not good with stories, give me a minute to think?"
[21:37] <Kotono> "We have all the time you need," Maxam agrees.
[21:58] <Afina> "Oh, I know!" Afina says with a briefly wicked smile, "I call this story, the Dragon and the Rainbow!" she declares with appropriate enthusiasm. Baleruk can consider it thanks for making her his disciple. "One upon a time there was a little green dragon. He lived in the forest with the other green dragons, but one day those green dragons said he wasn't good enough and forced him to leave.
[21:58] <Afina> 'You're always thinking about the sky and deserts and the sea,' they said, 'When we have everything we need her in the forest. Since you like those other places so much, go on and leave so there'll be more space for us.' Dejected, the poor green dragon flew away from the only home he knew..."
[21:58] <Afina> With that groundwork laid she tells of how the green dragon flew to the desert first, only to be spurned by the blue dragons that lived there. Then he flew to the swamps and met the black dragons. They were friends for a little while, but the black dragons eventually told him he was boring and should leave. Then he went to the mountaintops, where a fierce battle erupted with the great red
[21:58] <Afina> dragon king, leaving the poor green dragon brutalised and beaten on the snowy arctic slopes on the other side of the mountain. The white dragons saw how weak he was and chased him all the way back to the forest...
[21:58] <Afina> "The green dragons were prepared to welcome him back if he stopped all his foolishness and admitted the forest and green is all that matters," Afina continues, "But the little green dragon stood tall and proud despite his wounds, 'No!' he roard, 'I've seen how strong every kind of dragon is in their own element, and how scared they all are to leave that element. Now I see my true destiny,
[21:58] <Afina> to become the perfect dragon, to be strong where the rest of you are weak!' And in that moment a rainbow split the sky above his head, like a sign from the heavens. 'Yes!' cried the dragon, 'I shall become a rainbow - a prismatic dragon! At home and comfortable wherever I go, and unchallenged by all!'
[21:58] <Afina> "Gathering up all his courage, the green dragon flew to a strange place where the ground became the sky and the water burst into flames. There he sought the Lord of all Colour, and demanded to be taught the secrets of Blue, Red, White, and Black, and more besides! He was told he could learn, but only if he overcame his fears and defeated the greatest of all the other dragons to prove his
[21:59] <Afina> worthiness."
[21:59] <Afina> Nodding sagely now as she comes into more familiar territory after making up the rest as she went, Afina continues, "So, he went to the desert and challenged the vain blue dragons first to a contest of beauty, and all the sultans lined up before the grandest blue dragon and the brave green dragon. They conferred for many nights before agreeing the green dragon's emerald hue was more beautiful
[21:59] <Afina> than any other. The blue dragon gobbled them all up in a rage, but in his heart he knew he had lost, and the triumphant green dragon flew onwards! On and on he went, besting the best of all the other dragons until at last he challenged the King of the Red Dragons! But it was here that both the Greatest and the Most Vile of all dragons appeared!" she announces with all gusto.
[21:59] <Afina> "The father and mother of dragons came and said, 'This cannot be! Green dragons are supposed to be middling, why do you seek to surpass your station? We have made you as you are and you should stay that way.' 'But you are greater than us, boasting many different colours and powers that other dragons lack, why may I not do the same?' he argued. 'But because we are Gods!' the father announced
[21:59] <Afina> pompously, 'And we fear our children ever growing so bold, so go back to your little forest!' the Mother added, glaring with all her head. But the green dragon only retorted, 'Then I will be a God as well!' and smote the King of the Red Dragons with his acidic breath to claim his mantle!
[21:59] <Afina> "A great shriek came from the Father and Mother," Afina raises her hands in the air, "For they thought none would deny them. 'So be it! But beware for we are older and greater, and so we use our power to curse you, that you will never be a God such as we, and all dragonkind shall fear and shun you!' and with that they fled. The no-longer green dragon merely admired his now many-hued scales
[21:59] <Afina> and breathed out a puff of flame, a spit of acid, a gust of cold, and a fork of lightning all at once. He was not sad, for the other dragons had disdained him all the time, and it did not matter because now he was what he knew he was always meant to be." Thus she finishes with a satisfied smile, "Feel free to share the story with anyone you like."

Corwin

[19:57] <Ko-Netsucks> The story is listened to with a keen ear and full attention. Maxam doesn't interrupt, Afina finishing her tale to silence followed by slow, heavy clapping. "Ah, I can see the competitions and battles now." He says, "Dragon and the Rainbow, or Dragon of the Rainbow is more apt."
[19:57] <Afina> "Oh, yes, change it to that," Afina nods agreeably, finding it does have a better ring to it.
[19:58] * Jaela nods in agreement. "Yes, it does sound better this way," she muses, smiling. "I will go next, then?"
[20:01] <Jaela> "For me, it would be a story with a somewhat more personal turn," Jaela voices, still quite amused. "After all, it's not like I have some legacy to draw on, not for generations. But I believe I have a good one, if you don't mind me drawing upon my homeland's oral history. It's the story of a knight. She wasn't the founder of my Order, but she brought a change in it that was felt until my days. She was a knight, yes, but not just any knight. Born to royalty, she shouldered a heavy responsibility to her people, her country and the knights under her command. She lead them into many battles -- it was a time before Lifasa was truly pacified, and it was a divided land filled with turmoil and ravaged by war. She wished for an outcome when no one was hurt by the war, but it was impossible; and so, she came by a set of rules, a way of life for herself and for her fellow knights to follow that would seek to minimize the suffering of the common man."
[20:01] <Jaela> Jaela shakes her head. "But casualties continued to mount, even as the country was slowly being united. And as she tried harder and harder to represent her ideals, many of her fellow knights began to wonder whether she truly cared for anything but ruling over that war-torn land. They thought she lacked empathy for the people, and so the last great conflict in the elven lands was their rebellion. What good were those lofty ideals, these knights asked, if following them merely lead to more suffering? But in truth, what they really feared was that as they fell short of them, so would their monarch. They met, these two armies, fighting under a great tree that was ancient even during those times in the distant past. It was a disadvantageous position for her. Why did she not wait for them at her castle? They only realized after they crossed blades with her, and after they saw the sorrow in her eyes. The emotions she never allowed those following her to see, as she carried all the burden of those seemingly endless wars on her own. She fought for her country and her people, but she acted with piety and honor. She was committed to her cause, but that course never took her into committing outrage. She fought relentlessly and expected the same of those under her command, but once quarter was given it was painstalkingly observed."
[20:01] <Jaela> She pauses. "Those same principles were behind her decision to meet them out in the field, rather than force civilians to go through the atrocities of a siege. There was no way to permit such treason from her erstwhile companions, not if the land were to be spared yet more infighting and troubles. But what little could be done for her people, she tried to do, whatever the cost to herself. And she died in that battle, after breaking through their gathered armies as surely as she broke its leaders's spirit with her determination." This warrants another pause, and Jaela returns her thoughts to the present. "She was canonized, at a later generation. Perhaps the rules of war itself were not changed by her actions, but the Melding of the Three has kept her lifestyle as one to try and emulate as closely as possible. And this is how a young monarch from a now-forgotten time came to be immortalized by our Order, her story passed down the generations."
[20:04] <Afina> "Was the tree the same one we fought at?" Afina asks after a moment of thought once Jaela finishes.
[20:06] <Jaela> "The very same," Jaela asserts. "The site, at least. The tree itself was burnt down by the time we fought to liberate those trapped souls, after all."
[20:08] <Ko-Netsucks> This story gets the same patient and keen attention as Afina's, listened to until the end. "An old story of honor," Maxam replies, "I can feel the history attached to it...let alone of what you speak of with trapped souls."
[20:10] <Jaela> "Not a particularly happy one, depending how you look at it," Jaela muses. "But not all stories are."
[20:12] <Ko-Netsucks> "There are as many tragedies as comedies," Maxam says in quiet agreement, "Your stories are well told. Now...you seek this volcano and goldenfire?"
[20:12] * Afina nods. "Yes, whatever information you have on it will be helpful."
[20:22] <Ko-Netsucks> Clearing his throat, "Modern Elysian lore doesn't mention anything about volcanoes, and several generational recursions - as much as Elysium has generations - echo this. You have to go find old stories, from ancient lore or from ancient creatures, to find out anything about an Elysian volcano. As these old things tend to be, the sources are vague and often disagree with each other. Time has
[20:22] <Ko-Netsucks> a way of hiding what was lost, even in eternal realms." Clearing his throat again before continuing, gesturing out with one hand in the warm, sunny air, "Of the legends that talk about it, the ones that mention a source essentially agree. A golden flame came from above, born in some manner of great deed. The legends all agree on one point - it came from above, higher than even the layer of
[20:22] <Ko-Netsucks> Amoria or the House of Nature."
[20:23] <Afina> "Like from the Sun?"
[20:26] <Ko-Netsucks> "Yes, that's exactly right. Lathander is the lord of the Sun and one of the greatest of the deities. The sun, after all, is quite hot."
[20:27] <Afina> "But there aren't any volcanoes on the Sun... right?" Afina frowns in thought as she parses matters.
[20:28] <Jaela> "And the sun isn't really part of Elysium?" Jaela adds, frowning herself.
[20:30] <Ko-Netsucks> "It's said the flame ended up in various places - from Amoria down to Thalasia and the Holy Islands. Usually wherever is most dramatically appropriate for the story's plot." Maxam continues on, "As for the sun and Elysium, I don't know. I presume it is and it isn't the same sun that shines on the mortal worlds."
[20:33] <Afina> "No, it won't be," Afina says reflexively, "But in that case if it landed in Thalasia then those first embers we want could be there? And they may have formed a volcano over themselves the same as heat from the core of the world would on Lifasa, supposing they buried deep on landing?"
[20:35] <Ko-Netsucks> "There are many mist shrouded islands and hidden realms within Thalasia," Maxam says, "The layers below Amoria are full of secrets. I can assure you that your search should exclude Belierin. Eronia, despite being mountainous, has no signs of volcanic activity."
[20:36] <Jaela> "Or we could just try asking directly," Jaela muses.
[20:36] <Afina> "Alright, so Thalasia was right after all," Afina nods, "It doesn't... hmm? Ask who?"
[20:38] <Jaela> "At the Morninglord's court," Jaela elaborates, thinking it over. "We can request an audience. Our cause is important enough that one of his trusted servants might see us, and if the sun was the cause of the volcano, then Lathander could direct us through them."
[20:39] <Afina> "A servant, maybe..." Afina allows dubiously, "But you're crazy if you think I'm going to go anywhere near a deity after the last time."
[20:40] <Ko-Netsucks> "Last time?" Maxam perks up, "You've met one before? That sounds like a story!"
[20:40] <Afina> "Auril," Afina replies tersely. "She froze my heart."
[20:42] <Jaela> "I've met two and I'm still alright," Jaela says reasonably enough. "And yes, I don't think the Morninglord himself will see us. But then again, he doesn't have to, does he? Ah, but we don't have to try that option first if you prefer to just look around and see if we're guided to our destination."
[20:42] <Afina> "Volcanoes can exist underwater, too. We'll need help," Afina can't refute that.
[20:45] <Jaela> roll 1d20+30
[20:45] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+30 and gets 38." [1d20=8]
[20:47] <Kotono> Maxam shivers, quickly rubbing his arms at the mention of Auril's name.
[20:51] * Jaela looks a curious mix of amused and embarrassed after thinking about this for a few moments. "Actually, now that I think about it there's no protocol since he's not big on that. Hey, Maxam, where would the closest temple to the Morninglord be?"
[20:56] <Kotono> "There's one off that way," Pointing towards the western horizon, "Dawnglory. It's run by the Monks of the Sun Soul.:
[20:56] * Jaela nods, and then tells Afina, "We could use it to ask where Lathander's court is right now, then go there. Works?"
[20:59] <Afina> "Okay, I'll follow your lead on this," Afina says as she gets up, deferring to Jaela's greater expertise in such matters.
[21:00] <Kotono> OOC: Ready to move along then, you two?
[21:01] <Afina> OOC: yes
[21:01] <Jaela> OOC: y
[21:14] <Kotono> From here the two travel west. Yet more hours pass on that warm plain, forever traveling towards the endless west. Soon enough you see it on the horizon - a rising, classical cathedral of bright white stone that shines in the sun. Beautiful stained glass windows, several stories tall, decorate the building all over. As you approach, you can see that a large hedge maze blocks the way to the
[21:14] <Kotono> entrance, a cobblestone path leading towards the maze's entrance.
[21:14] <Jaela> "A maze?" But Jaela shrugs and heads down the path for it.
[21:15] <Afina> Having wings Afina is hardly concerned with such trivialities of ground-bound existence, but when Jaela makes her way to it she descends her own flight, "You think it would be rude or something if we just flew over?"
[21:16] <Jaela> "Pretty much yeah."
[21:17] <Afina> "Alright, I suppose we should, then," Afina concedes, dropping completely to walk lightly on the ground into the maze.
[21:20] <Jaela> "It's the only thing that makes sense, doesn't it?" Jaela muses. "We're in a heaven and all. Why bother having a maze for a front entrance to the cathedral if it's not there to teach visitors some lesson? And then, skipping it might be pretty rude, especially for people who're there to ask for a favor."
[21:21] <Afina> "I'm not arguing. I went to Celestia, I know how it is with tests in these places," Afina waves a hand placatingly up at Jaela. "I just didn't pay it any mind until you went towards it."
[21:22] <Kotono> On going in, you find it isn't quite a maze. Instead it's only one path meandering about, a maze of sweet smelling hedges and warm sunlight. You come to somewhere in the middle, where in there's an open courtyard - and past it the 'maze' continues. But in this courtyard lies a stone engraving of the sun. It is painted in hues of orange and yellow, seeming to shine extra bright in the sunshine.
[21:23] <Afina> "Ah, it's a nice garden," Afina comments approvingly, smelling the foliage as she goes and admiring the stonework likewise.
[21:23] <Jaela> "Seems like it!"
[21:28] <Kotono> The stonework looks to be of high quality. It's all smooth and the colors just burst off the stone. As Afina watches it, she can feel waves of heat coming from it. The same waves of heat pool against Jaela, hot but not painful.
[21:29] <Afina> Patting her hand on the stone a moment to enjoy the heat further, Afina keeps on walking after.
[21:29] <Jaela> "So that stone," Jaela asks as she heads after Afina. "Does it feel different for you than it does for me?"
[21:29] <Afina> "Hot?"
[21:30] <Jaela> "Yeah. I kinda wondered if hot things were different for you."
[21:31] <Afina> "I like them more," Afina states decisively. "It's not as extreme as when I was just a half-fire elemental, but I've retained a marked preference for higher temperatures."
[21:32] * Jaela nods. "About that, going to try for Air or Earth any time soon?"
[21:35] <Afina> "Earth next. It's best to wait to ensure I'm stable before adding more, but I've been ready for a while now, I think. There just hasn't been much time to pursue it, though."
[21:37] * Jaela nods once more. "If there'd be something I could help with...."
[21:37] <Kotono> Thus the two go on. Again, it's not a maze, but a leisurely path. In time you come to the entrance. The doors are open, leading into a massive and yet strangely empty interior. Colored light comes in from the stained glass windows, yet no one seems to be about. The left and right walls are dotted with doors, and far ahead a single bell floats in the air, a heavy rope hanging from it to ring
[21:37] <Kotono> it.
[21:38] <Jaela> "Hello?" Jaela calls out, pulling on the rope to ring that bell.
[21:42] <Kotono> When Jaela rings on the bell, the doors to the side open wide. Dozens - no hundreds! Hundreds of men and women come out. Each is in fine shape and wears loose, simple pants and tunics. Yet each is on the attractive side or better. They are clean and the women wear make up despite the simpleness of their clothes.  Each wears a golden sun amulet and some wear more jewelry yet.  They line the
[21:42] <Kotono> walls, standing shoulder to shoulder.
[21:43] <Jaela> "Uh. Hi."
[21:43] * Afina blinks and looks at the horde, finding the whole thing rather eerie.
[21:46] <Kotono> When the walls are fully lined and hundreds await the trio with steady, intent gazes? The doors open again and one comes out. She is muscular, hair the blonde-brown of brown hair exposed daily to the sun. She is finely made up, face decorated with hues of yellow to match her yellow eyes. She wears a sleeveless tunic embrodiered with gold thread and the same loose pants as the others. She is
[21:46] <Kotono> covered in jewelery from head to toe, speaking of great wealth. "Welcome!" Her voice is effusive and energetic, "Are you here to test yourself or to celebrate?"
[21:48] * Afina remains silent and committed to following Jaela's lead!
[21:48] <Jaela> "We're trying to track down the Morninglord's court," Jaela responds, deciding to just go along with this, whatever this is. "Does it require testing or celebrations?"
[21:55] <Kotono> "Oh. No." Shaking her head with a snap of her fingers, she gestures widely, sweeping her arm about. The assembled men and women all file back, leaving the room quickly empty once more. "He came here several years ago," she says, suddenly all energy and excitement, "He made the entrance out there, did you see it? Of course you saw it, didn't you?"
[21:57] <Afina> "It was very nice," Afina nods approvingly.
[21:57] <Jaela> "And very warm!" Jaela adds just as perkily as the priestess.
[22:00] <Kotono> "Oh yes," she says, a pleasant bounce to her chest as she goes on, "You see, he asked me for something we could use. I said we should be able to heal from sun bathing. So of course he made that sun out there. It's too hot for normal creatures to use, but I was charged with adapting into a spell called Sun Therapy."
[22:01] <Jaela> "Oh? How does that one go?" Jaela asks, sparing a moment to address her curiousity.
[22:02] <Kotono> "You get a tan and when you're done in a few hours, you're healed," she says, "It's not quite as powerful as the sun out there since I had to lower the heat, but it's still effective. It's great for healing serious but stable injuries with one spell instead of several! You heal as much as a Heal spell but it's a lower circle spell."
[22:04] <Afina> "That sounds very efficient," Afina agrees quite positively on the idea. "Could it be incorporated into a magic item like the sun out there to radiate constantly in an area?" That could boost their hospital nicely!
[22:04] <Jaela> "Ooh, nice!" She'd expect Ilmater's realm to use this sort of magic, but it sounds pretty interesting all the same. She nods enthusiastically at Afina's question!
[22:05] <Kotono> "Oh yes, we're thinking about it," Nodding along, "If you two want to try it and can stand the heat, you can try the one out there," she says, "It's open to all. You two could use some tan, especially you," Afina gets a look, "You look like a faded sunburn."
[22:07] <Afina> "Becoming part elemental really changes your image," Afina concedes. "You'd have liked me more when I was just half-fire elemental, no doubt."
[22:08] <Jaela> "Want to come with us outside, then?" Jaela offers. "We could use the insights for the spell. And any thoughts you might have about the court, of course."

Corwin

[19:35] <Ko-Sophielikesbigbutts> The woman follows along, talking a mile a minute as you go back outside, "Half elemental? How in Lathander's light did that ever happen? I didn't think elementals did that! The ones I've summoned have never shown any sort of features like that at all!"
[19:35] <Jaela> "Magic."
[19:37] <Afina> "There's a place called Magmasoul on the plane of Fire where people can become partly fire elemental. I didn't plan to use it that way, but things got out of hand," Afina explains with a shrug. "It's a step down from being a fey. I'm trying to gain something of all the other elements to regain balance of some sort."
[19:41] <Kotono> "Ooooh." Nodding to Afina and giving Jaela a short look, "That's an unhelpful answer, you know!" Pointing at her, "Everything can be magic! Why, you can make clothes and eat from magic. A few cantrips can do your housework and a stronger spell can create a servant!"
[19:42] * Jaela laughs.
[19:47] <Kotono> "What's so funny?" The woman asks as you reach the golden sun once more, "It's a completely unhelpful answer!"
[19:48] <Jaela> Sorry, sorry!" Jaela raises her hands in surrender. "You just looked so shocked at how something like that could happen. I couldn't help myself?"
[19:49] <Afina> "It is a pretty standard non-answer," Afina agrees, landing a few feet from the stone sun to bask in the heat once more.
[19:53] <Kotono> "I just don't believe it. How can youb e half elemental? Wouldn't the elemental half kill the normal half? I mean, stone can't bleed, fire would burn you up and I don't even want to think about air or water, so it doens't make sense. However does it work?" Meanwhile Afina reaches the sun. It feels good and warm here, basking in the warmth.
[19:55] * Jaela decides to enjoy the warmth herself, since it's not uncomfortable by any means. "What about half-celestials?" she asks the priestess. "You don't think the two sides would clash?"
[19:56] <Kotono> "Angels aren't made of fire or water or earth!" She retorts, crossing her arms, "They're like us!"
[19:56] <Afina> "As a half fire elemental I wasn't a creature made of living flame. My body was just changed to be more attuned towards fire, and less tolerant of cold. There were a few other changes but I think they're common to all outsiders. Now becoming part fire elemental and part water elemental, that was dangerous. I could have easily died in attempting it because those two are pure opposites," Afina
[19:56] <Afina> explains, almost pleased to for once be more knowledgable about planar matters than someone she meets out here.
[20:02] <Kotono> "Oh. Didn't think that could be done," she admits, before frowning, "Why would fire and water be so dangerous together? Wouldn't that just make steam?"
[20:04] <Afina> "They hate each other," Afina answers, "It's not just normal water from a well and fire from rubbing sticks together. They're primal and willful elements that hate each other as much as you likely hate anything from Hades. Nevermind that the water could quench the fire without providing anything of its own and simply killing me, the two could have blasted my body apart uncaringly while
[20:04] <Afina> battling each other to destruction."
[20:07] <Kotono> "Oh." As the two of you sit in the sun the warmth soothes you, like a full body massage with hot coals. "So how'd you survive it then? More magic?"
[20:09] * Afina nods. "There's a goddess, Seira, that works towards making elements cooperate with each other. She and her followers had done a lot of experiments and work towards making hybrid elementals, though I'm the only one to have succeeded so far. It took three attempts, and they were extremely painful."
[20:10] <Kotono> "Seira? Who's that?" Nodding along now and standing just outside of the circle, "Is she part of the House of Nature?"
[20:12] <Afina> "No, she lives on a giant volcano on the Astral Plane. I understand she only recently declared herself a deity."
[20:14] <Kotono> "Oh." Again she listens to that and blink-blinks, before a look of shock crosses her face, "But how do you live in a volcano? The lava would do  horrible things to anyone that lived there!"
[20:16] <Afina> "Creatures at home or resistant to fire live down the caldera while the rest live on terraces up above. I don't think it's going to erupt anytime soon," Afina shrugs. "Lava's actually quite nice to soak in if you can endure it. Soothingly hot, and it's thick enough to support you some. Very relaxing," Afina smiles in recollection of her last trip to the lava baths.
[20:18] <Kotono> "Uh." At this point Afina just gets a confused look, "So ah, do you like the sun here?"
[20:19] <Afina> "Yes, it's very hot!" the fairy beams up at her with a big smile.
[20:21] <Kotono> Clapping he rhands together, "Good, good! Is there anything else the two of you need?"
[20:22] <Jaela> "Directions?" Jaela reminds her, mildly overwhelmed.
[20:25] <Kotono> "You should head northwest," Pointing, "Follow the horizon until you reach Baren's farm, then head due north to reach The Reflectors."
[20:26] <Afina> "Thank you, it was nice talking to you," Afina nods, flying up now.
[20:27] <Jaela> "Thanks," Jaela echoes Afina, before signaling to her to wait. "Do you think we could wait a bit? I want to try meditating next to this sun and seeing if it helps. We could use that for Adrian and the old man, if so."
[20:28] <Afina> "I don't mind waiting, then," Afina nods, content to hover now rather than stand or walk.
[20:29] <Jaela> Giving Afina a grateful smile, Jaela looks for a good spot she could do that without blocking the way, assuming the priestess doesn't object to this.
[20:31] <Kotono> No objection comes. There's plenty of space on the sun to go meditate without blocking anything.
[20:33] * Jaela does so, willing her true self to be rid of whatever remnants Abigor's passing inflicted upon her.
[20:34] <Kotono> OOC: Make a concentration check.
[20:36] <Jaela> roll 1d20+25
[20:36] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+25 and gets 26." [1d20=1]
[20:39] <Kotono> To Afina's gaze she sees Jaela slip into meditation. Minutes pass in the basking warmth - Afina feels good. It's nice like this as Jaela meditates away. It feels good here, the sun warming her wounds. But at the same time, it's enough to prevent her from easily slipping into deeper meditation. It's just enough to keep her above the surface of deeper meditation.
[20:47] * Jaela shakes her head a few minutes into this. "It's too nice. After all, the best meditations are the ones where you shut off the rest of the world when it's doing its best to be horrible to you. Let's go?"
[20:49] <Afina> "Alright then. Bye," Afina waves to the priestess before taking off and flying Northwest.
[20:54] <Kotono> OOC: Ready to move along, y'all?
[20:55] <Jaela> OOC: yes
[20:56] <Afina> OOC: yes
[21:01] <Kotono> You wander several more hours yet under the sun. Ahead to the northwest as instructed, but ahead? Ahead you can see a colorful tent erected, standing free on the plains. A bright blue pennant flaps from atop it. The entire tent is made of purple and red, standing out against the plains and sky.
[21:02] <Afina> Doesn't look like any farm Afina's ever seen.
[21:03] * Jaela looks for any banner or flag that might be flying and she has a shot of recognizing, asking the Triune for help with the local lore.
[21:06] <Kotono> OOC: K:L check, Jaela.
[21:06] <Jaela> roll 1d20+17
[21:06] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+17 and gets 18." [1d20=1]
[21:07] * Jaela continues northwest. If she doesn't recognize it, it's probably not very important. Not their destination, that's for sure!
[21:10] <Kotono> Several more hours of travel pass without difficulty, until ahead you can see farmland. Farmland surrounding a large farmhouse, stables and all the fixings. People are working the fields, chatting away as they work. Snatches of song are heart as you pass by.
[21:11] <Afina> Overflying the farm, Afina turns North at this point. It's probably Baren's farm or she'd have mentioned one between it and her church/
[21:11] * Jaela is of the same mind as Afina, following the same route.
[21:15] <Kotono> OOC: Make a con check, both of you.
[21:16] <Jaela> roll 1d20+8
[21:16] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+8 and gets 28." [1d20=20]
[21:16] <Afina> roll 1d20+6
[21:16] * Hatbot --> "Afina rolls 1d20+6 and gets 7." [1d20=1]
[21:17] <Kotono> roll 1d6 nonlethal Afina and fatigued
[21:17] * Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d6 nonlethal Afina and fatigued and gets 6." [1d6=6]
[21:17] <Kotono> As you begin to travel along further, both of you feel the stirrings of light fatigue. Afina feels a bit droopy, as you've been going quite awhile now.
[21:18] * Jaela bolsters herself with a lesser restoration at the first signs of fatigue, glancing over at Afina afterwards.
[21:19] <Afina> "Hungry or anything?" Afina asks, her flight starting to drift down a bit. "I could do with a chance to rest my wings for a bit."
[21:20] <Jaela> "Not really," Jaela responds, deciding to cast the spell on Afina as well. "But it could be all the excess excitement from that fight. Want to pause here?"
[21:21] <Afina> Suddenly re-energised, she shakes her head. "No, I'm fine now, thanks."
[21:22] * Jaela snorts. "I just keep on going ever since. My mother had to kick me out of the temple and tell me to go to bed the other day."
[21:24] <Kotono> OOC: Ready to continue along, yo tuwo?
[21:24] <Afina> "I felt sleepy after the fight too, but that was actually my heart freezing up... would've been better off staying up, it turns out," Afina observes.
[21:24] <Afina> OOC: sure
[21:24] <Jaela> OOC: sure
[21:30] <Kotono> You travel on for yet more hours, vitality restored with magic. Hours and hours of this walkabout continue. You pass along above it all, until at last you see something on the horizon. A bright spot of light, painful to look at, on the horizon.
[21:32] <Jaela> "Reflectors, you think?"
[21:32] <Afina> "Must be the reflectors," Afina comments, more inured to bright lights from her fiery nature.
[21:32] * Jaela nods. Even if her eye is blinded, she still has one in reserve and her blindsight to back her up, so she's not too concerned over the brighteness.
[21:35] <Kotono> Flying on closer, you find the light to grow blinding. But you avert your gazes and continue on...OOC: Doing anyhing special or just approaching?
[21:36] <Afina> OOC: drop to ground level so the glare doesn't hit us as much
[21:37] <Jaela> OOC: Nothing special from me
[21:42] <Kotono> As you come closer yet, the light becomes overwhelming - before you pass through a cool breeze. The light dims somewhat - utter radiance is behind you, but ahead you can see. Ahead is a vast grounds of polished metal and glass, of reflecting mirrors catching the sunlight. Beams of light are cast about in various colors, forming bands and paths of light. They all slowly head inward, until
[21:42] <Kotono> consumating in the shape of a massive temple of light-beams.
[21:43] <Jaela> "That's impressive," Jaela murmurs, pausing to study the overall effect.
[21:45] <Afina> "It is, like a building made out of illusion but more creative," Afina agrees.
[21:47] <Kotono> As you stand there, mirrors of metal and glass shift slightly. Beams of bright white and pale red come towards you, to either side of you. In between them lattices of pale pink are formed, as if a path for you to follow.
[21:47] <Jaela> "And a proper welcome! Very nice!" Jaela doesn't hesitate in taking the invitation.
[21:48] * Afina nods, walking along behind Jaela to let her wings rest.

Corwin

[19:02] <Kotono> The light is just solid enough to walk on. Like air sprinkled with grains of sugar, supporting you by dint of air and fancy. As you go more mirrors turn, arches of colored light rays forming above you. Ahead of you a beam of bright yellow light is shot down from above. As it clears, you can see a figure emerging from the light!
[19:03] * Jaela continues to approach! Lathander's clergy don't want bowing and scraping, and they might as well talk rather than yell across the distance.
[19:05] <Kotono> The figure before you is a man. A young man, full of life and energy. He has bright blonde hair and a well formed, atheletic musculature. He wears tunic and pants of sun-yellow, banded with beams of white light into a greater weave. A long sun yellow cape flows behind hima s he approaches, his blue eyes full of energy. He claps his hands together and rubs them, "You two don't look like the
[19:05] <Kotono> normal faithful," he says, "Are you here for lessons?"
[19:07] <Jaela> "I'm Jaela," she says in introduction, adding almost too late, "of Aurora. We're here to learn something, though we're not for the regular lessons."
[19:08] <Afina> "Not exactly," Afina demurs, "We're trying to find something that's apparently hidden. I'm Afina, by the way, and we're trying to find a volcano on Thalasia where we think the first embers of goldenfire fell. We're hoping to learn from Lathander since we heard it fell from the sun."
[19:12] <Kotono> Clapping his hands together again, "Too bad. You both have the skill..." Trailing off with a wry smile, "Where are my manners? I'm Dawnbringer Pashtalo"
[19:12] <Kotono> OOC: Gah.
[19:12] <Kotono> Clapping his hands together again, "Too bad. You both have the skill..." Trailing off with a wry smile, "Where are my manners? I'm Dawnbringer Pashtalo and welcome to the Reflectors. Do you like it?"
[19:13] * Jaela grins at him. "I'll be happy to get back one day and study here properly. Because yeah, I was just telling Afina that I thought the Reflectors were pretty grand!"
[19:14] <Afina> "A home made of light alone is a fine thing," Afina agrees approvingly.
[19:16] <Kotono> "Great! It's an extension of my mortal life's work," Pausing to buff his fingernails on his tunic, "The Morninglord was so impressed that he brought me here to continue my studies forever. What is light but rays, and what are rays but concentrations of light? When you look at it like that, reflecting them is possible. When you can reflect them, you can control and manipulate them. When you
[19:16] <Kotono> do that, you can change them as you reflect them. Have you ever held a bit of glass or a natural prism to the sunlight and seen the rainbow of colors it spills forth? It all comes back down to that."
[19:17] <Jaela> "You don't even need a prism for that if you have a bit of water," Jaela muses.
[19:18] <Afina> "That doesn't quite account for the solidness, though, does it?" Afina asks, tapping her foot for emphasis.
[19:18] * Jaela is quite curious to hear about that herself!
[19:20] <Kotono> "Light can be manipulated," Repeating that as you walk along, "It's an advanced concept and only fully explained to those admitted into the lessons. But as you see, even solidity can be manipulated."
[19:21] <Jaela> "Are we talking length of a mortal's lifetime lessons?"
[19:22] <Kotono> "
[19:23] <Kotono> "It takes years, though someone experienced can grasp it faster. Training in mage battle with rays overlaps with it and lays some of the foundation out. Are either of you experienced in ray fighting?" He asks after.
[19:24] <Afina> "Not so much, I generally favour projectiles and explosives for my magical assaults," Afina shakes her head.
[19:24] <Jaela> "I prefer light rays for when I have to fight," Jaela muses. "But it's a personal preference for a combat style, not something more generic."
[19:29] <Kotono> "Mmm," Clapping his hands at that, "You could learn, you could learn. It takes dedication and focus. I can memorize more ray spells than a normal cleric and Lathander now grants me several ray spells not normally granted to men of faith."
[19:31] <Jaela> "Nice!"
[19:35] <Kotono> "So," A pause after that and the conversation stalls a moment, "You're here looking for goldenfire and Lathander."
[19:36] * Afina nods eagerly.
[19:36] <Jaela> "We heard that his court is here," Jaela elaborates, "and who better to know about this than the Morninglord?"
[19:40] <Kotono> "He's in there," Pashtalo agrees, "They just got back from crashing Mechanus and upstaging a festival of Law with a party for Good."
[19:41] * Jaela snorts in amusement. "Wish I could've been there," she mutters.
[19:42] * Afina winces. So much for just meeting a servant. "Ah, could you go on ahead, Jaela? I'll just wait out here," she asks, since Jaela actually seems happy about encountering deities she should be fine.
[19:43] <Jaela> "Hmm? Oh, sure, if you like." She glances at Pashtalo. "Is that okay?"
[19:48] <Kotono> "Is something wrong?" Looking to Afina, "You come all this way and stop at the prespice."
[19:50] <Afina> "I just met another deity the other day and came away with... spiritual contamination, my healer called it. I'd rather not risk that again," Afina explains, leaving off the name of the deity in question this time. "Jaela can hopefully get the information we need to carry on by herself."
[19:51] <Kotono> "Come now," Smiling a little bit, "Lathander wants what's good for everyone. He wouldn't harm you unless you deserve it. You aren't one of the unholy undead and you radiate no evil. I don't see why he'd inflict suffering on you."
[19:52] <Afina> "I'd like to think that, but I heard it's something gods and goddesses can't control," Afina shakes her head in reluctance. They'd been getting on well with Auril too, more or less.
[19:54] <Jaela> "I just got used to it myself, but my nature might just make it easier on me, too." Jaela shrugs. "Do you think it would take long to ask? From all I heard, Lathander isn't big on protocol."
[19:56] <Kotono> "Stop pouting." The voice that comes from Pashtalo's voice is different - utterly commanding, a youthful and deep timbre that thrills the ears. "You're cuter when you smile, Afina. Now come along with Jaela. You're in no danger and I want to meet Medi's inheritors."
[19:57] * Jaela laughs. "It's true, at that." She grins at Afina. "How could we refuse such a nice invitation?"
[19:58] * Afina blinks and looks up at Pashtalo. Is Lathander using him as a conduit? Well if it's already come to that, "Alright, alright. I'll just... hang back a little," she concedes, fluttering into the air beside Jaela and ready to advance.
[19:58] <Jaela> Her spirits quite uplifted, Jaela is ready to follow Pashtalo!
[20:03] <Kotono> Pashtalo blink-blinks at this, "Lathander wants to meet you," he says artlessly, "So that settles that!"
[20:04] <Afina> "Yes it does," Afina agrees, bowing to the inevitable.
[20:08] * Jaela heads on for the meeting!
[20:15] <Kotono> You head further on the path of lights. Soon you come to the cathedral - a parting door of radiant silver light. Within is the dawn. In the sky above you can see the sun just rising, spilling light all over the cathedral of light rays. Ahead are wondrous things, but you cannot look at them. You are drawn to the center - where a man stands in the center of the dawn. He is hale and hearty, a
[20:15] <Kotono> mace hanging at his side. He is only human sized and yet seems bigger than the cathedral. He holds a newborn baby in both hands, up to the sunshine. In the same voice that spoke to you a moment ago and yet so much more, "Go. With this death is once more pushed back with more life!" The baby in hand becomes pure light, soaring up into the new dawn sky.
[20:17] <Jaela> Preferring a casual court or not, Jaela comes to kneel before the deity. If he wants informality, he could always tell her to rise.
[20:18] <Afina> Jaela's mentioned a few times that Lathander doesn't like protocol, but even so Afina literally can't not abase herself before royalty. And that's basically what any deity is to her, whether styled as a monarch or not. So she lands and then kneels humbly about a dozen feet before him. "Thank you for seeing us, Lord Lathander."
[20:21] <Kotono> The figure turns - he smiles so easily. Pure mirth and joy springs forth within you. He speaks in the voice of a powerful youth, yet with an underlying deepness that only makes it far more compelling. Everything else around him is light that is darkness compared to the unseen and yet ever so present radiance around him. "Stand up. You can't celebrate from your knees." He approaches, seeming
[20:21] <Kotono> to be rippling, moving light and yet so much more.
[20:22] <Afina> Formalities observed, Afina stands. "What's the occassion?"
[20:22] * Jaela rises back to her feet. "Of course," she voices, looking up at what her eyes can perceive of Lathander.
[20:28] <Kotono> "Occasion?" There's a moment of surprise before rollicking laughter follows. Lathander grins ear to ear, "There's no reason not to enjoy life. Each dawn is a new day to celebrate."
[20:29] <Afina> "Well, I suppose not at that," Afina concedes with a slight smile. It's a viewpoint familiar enough to fey even if not very well practiced by herself.
[20:30] <Jaela> As Afina shows off her cute side, Jaela curiously asks, "Do you know why we sought you out?"
[20:34] <Kotono> "I do," He says grandly, "I canceled a get together with Sune for this. But first," Gesturing, "Afina, have you considered a better path in life," Looking towards her, "I could use a prismatic pixie cleric to oversee rainbows. Jaela's already spoken for, but you aren't. You deserve a new dawn."
[20:37] <Afina> "Sorry, I'm already spoken for," Afina responds demurely. Ilsenine would hardly approve nevermind... well, really there's no telling if all the kings and queens above her even care about a fey that's left the cycle. But Ilsenine's enough!
[20:41] <Kotono> "Ilsenine, eh?" Asking that with a rub of his chin, "You should bring her over. We could come to an understanding." The figure's light is even brighter, overwhelming your senses as he merely continues to smile. "Aurora needs so much more light than it has."
[20:42] <Afina> "Light's... light's good," Afina agrees even as she's forced to squint somewhat and avert her eyes, "But I don't think she'd agree." Still she'll pass the invitation on, who knows what her Queen might want to discuss with the god of the sun?
[20:42] <Jaela> "A good point!" Jaela voices here, happy for the opening. "We could really use some of your devout, if we're talking about that. And if one of them happens to be a maiden, it would even help with a bit of Medi's legacy!"
[20:48] <Kotono> "Go get her," Lathander says, as abruptly Afina is simply gone. Lathander then turns to Jaela, "Selune spoke well of Aurora and so did Sharess. Sharess is fond of Ithea," Casually going on despite the raw, pure light and joy he continues to invisibly and yet palpably radiate, "I've been missing the best celebration in centuries!"OOC: #dunes, Afina.

Corwin

#d

[20:48] <Kotono> There is a flash of light. Afina stands before Aurora, a glowing sun-portal behind her. Lathander's words echo in her mind as she sees the great fortress of Medi ahead of her.
[20:49] <Afina> Well, alright then! Flying inside Afina calls for Elena.
[20:51] <Kotono> Elena so appears, clad in full plate armor. "Hi," she says, creaking as she walks towards Afina. "Back from your trip?"
[20:51] <Afina> "Only briefly. Is Queen Ilsenine in her suite right now?"
[20:55] <Kotono> "Yes," Elena follows along, "She's taking tea with Lady Skye and Crystal."
[20:56] <Afina> "Right, I'll go join them. Thanks, Elena," Afina nods, fluttering towards the entrancehall and a portal to take her there.
[21:09] <Kotono> On reaching there, Afina finds the three at a pixie sized table. A tea set and snacks are about, the three talking quietly. Afina doesn't catch any as Lady Skye catches sight of her as she comes in, "Afina, you're back in Aurora?" she asks, the other two turning as well.
[21:12] <Afina> "Yes, but only briefly," Afina nods, landing near the table. "Jaela and I were on Elysium looking for the first embers of goldenfire and our search lead us to Lathander. He's asked to meet her Majesty."
[21:14] <Kotono> "Lathander? THAT Lathander?" Crystal's eyes bulge out for a mere moment before she recovers, "By the Court of Stars, you've meeting him too?"
[21:15] <Afina> "Yes, I didn't really want to after Auril but he was insistent on meeting Medi's successors," Afina nods. "Then he tried to recruit me but I refused. That's when he asked to meet Queen Ilsenine and sent me back to Aurora - there's a portal still outside to take us right back to him."
[21:19] <Kotono> "Afina," Queen Ilsenine puts down her tea, voice all business, "What is your analysis of the situation?"
[21:20] <Afina> "He's quite flightly but is likely to aid us as well as provide material support to the Crusade," Afina responds, "He responded very favourably to Jaela and myself, even if his job offer probably wasn't serious," she says, more hoping on that last part. "I think we have nothing to lose in engaging with him and a lot to gain."
[21:24] <Kotono> Queen Ilsenine is silent after that, pausing just long enough to be noticed before she replies. "I will go. Afina, you will attend me and guide me there. Risking offense to a patron of Aurora is unacceptable, no matter his rudeness."
[21:25] <Afina> "Understood." Her job portfolio really is a lot wider these days, isn't it? "Do you require any preparations before we leave, Majesty?"
[21:26] <Kotono> "No." With that Ilsenine leaves, the two flying through the courtyard. As you go out, "What was his offer?"
[21:28] <Afina> "He wanted a prismatic pixie cleric to oversee rainbows," Afina responds, fluttering along. "I'm sure it was just some passing fancy, and I'm emphatically not interested."
[21:33] <Kotono> "Good." Queen Ilsenine smiles ever so slightly as you fly back to the sun portal.
[21:34] <Afina> That subtle show of fondness just makes Afina practically melt into goo, her brain shutting down for a little while as she flies straight into the portal without looking.

Corwin

#ed

[20:50] <Jaela> Normally, she would be quite upset, god or no god. But Afina didn't really want to be in Lathander's presence, and Jaela just can't believe that he would hurt her friend so casually. So she believes in his good intentions and decides to take this in stride, for now. "We make mistakes, but I think the Aurora's generally described being a lot like you, in many ways. The name we picked is intentional as well. We do stand for a lot of the same things when it comes right down to it, don't you think? And we've even remembered to relax and party properly recently."
[20:53] <Kotono> In Jaela's hand there's a mug. It shines with golden light, as Lathander has one in his own hand. "I'll celebrate to that," he says, as the others (so much dimmer than he) can be fainly heard echoing that cheer. "Boring old Tyr beat me to Aurora!" Shaking his head with easy cheer, banishing worry into simple exuberant happiness, "I was too busy messing with Mechanus."
[20:56] * Jaela salutes the deity with her mug, and then drains it. She takes a moment to acclimitize herself, before shrugging. "It was coincidence, in many ways. We freed one of his servants while fighting a horrible ancient demon lord in the Abyss, and one thing lead to another."
[21:11] <Kotono> It is like drinking liquid joy. Pure blissful happiness floods Jaela, like a sweeping flood of warm memories. "You do find all sorts of things when killing horrible ancient demons," Lathander concedes, "They keep the damnest things."
[21:13] <Jaela> "Plenty of them out there, waiting to be killed properly.... Devils, too! Devils, especially!" Jaela gestures with her mug. "That's why we came."
[21:17] <Kotono> "Ah, goldenfire. That brings back memories," Lathander says, "Those were the days, when Creation was young and everything still shone with the light of making."
[21:18] <Jaela> "Good days?"
[21:22] <Kotono> "Every day is a good day," Lathander says, utter conviction in his voice. You feel yourself agreeing without even thinking about it, "Goldenfire was a response and a treaty. It was a respone to Evil's growing dominion over Fire and an agreement with Good."
[21:23] <Jaela> "But why hide it, then?" Jaela wonders out loud. "Maybe if it were more accessible, Fire would be contested instead of largely Evil's domain?"
[21:28] <Kotono> "When Fire is weak in Good, goldenfire is hidden. When Good grows stronger, it emerges." Lathander says, "If you want it to spread, aid Zaaman Rul and those few forces of Good within Fire. Oppose Imix and the Sultan of the Efreet."
[21:29] <Jaela> It sounds very counter-productive. Jaela doesn't quite understand, and admits as such. "I don't get it. Why would there be a condition like that on it?"
[21:34] <Kotono> "It was the condition the other one behind goldenfire set," Lathander says, taking a long drink, "This fellow's great fun, but his or her kind prefer to be anonymous."
[21:38] * Jaela doesn't quite pout. "Anonymous, huh? Ah well. Does it mean we can't get at the embers unless we give the Sultan a solid trouncing first?"

Corwin

[21:42] <Kotono> As Jaela replies, a portal appears! Through it Afina and Queen Ilsenine emerge!
[21:42] * Jaela smiles at the two.
[21:44] <Afina> Gathering her wits at the transition from no gravity to gravity, not to mention all the added light, Afina lands and presents her queen. "Presenting her Majesty, Queen Ilsenine."
[21:51] <Kotono> The sheer joy Lathander radiates silence Ilsenine, felt just as keenly by the other two. The sense of presence grows, an absolute awe that suffuses each of you. In a voice that is even more than before, "Welcome, Ilsenine," he says with a smile, his hand able to take Ilsenine's hand, despite the size different, and bring it to his lips for a kiss. Distance just doesn't seem to matter for
[21:51] <Kotono> it, as Queen Ilsenine stares into his eyes.
[21:54] * Afina stands loyally beside her Queen, though as the silence stretches she can't help but shoot a worried glance her way.
[21:55] <Kotono> For long moment she stares into those eyes. "Why?" she asks, voice cracking.
[21:58] <Kotono> "Life is to be celebrated," Lathander says, voice grand with optimism and enthusiasm. "You'd make a fine member of my court, Ilsenine."
[21:58] <Afina> Gah, is he trying to recruit everyone?
[21:59] <Jaela> "No fair!" Jaela exclaims. "I'm the one trying to recruit right now!"
[22:00] <Kotono> "Aahhahahaha," Lathander laughs openly, "If I get Ilsenine, I get Afina as well. Both of you have potential and would be happier with me. Why not offer?"
[22:02] <Afina> "If only Queen Titania were here..." Afina mutters, feeling rather put upon in receiving aggressive recruitment efforts that she can't just reply with murder to as she did to the devils. They got the point in the end at least.
[22:03] <Kotono> "Queen Titania? Of course!" Lathander hits his fist into his palm, "I should go visit her for a party and set it up with her!"
[22:05] <Afina> "Not what I had in mind, but if you're able to party with the Queen of the Seelie it's a point in your favour, my lord," Afina allows, though she still feels a bit at sea with how this is going.
[22:05] <Jaela> How did things come to this? Jaela doesn't know what's going on anymore, but she nevertheless valiantly tries to stay on topic! "Can we get some awesome guys to fight Evil with and maybe a maiden or two and some embers of goldenfire while we're at it to stab Evil Destiny in the face with while those sorts of negotiations take place?" she asks hopefully.
[22:06] <Kotono> "Oh, she's great fun when she deigns to have guests," Lathander says brightly, "Have you ever met her?"
[22:07] * Afina shakes her head half hoping if she doesn't say anything he might respond to Jaela. She wishes she had, though...
[22:09] <Kotono> "Oh that? Sure," Waving a hand, "Parai! Gather up some soldiers and head on over to Aurora," Lathander bellows, "Oh wait, check that. Get a woman to do it instead or get changed! It needs to be a maiden for a ritual!" Then after he turns back, "Done."
[22:11] * Jaela grins. "Yeah, pretty much! Gets you to wonder what Medi was thinking, if he wanted his successors to have an overwhelmingly female officer core."
[22:12] <Afina> "Maybe he wasn't thinking about successors and he had a harem like that as backup if he ever locked himself out? Something to ask Elena some day," Afina suggests with a shake of her head. "But, ah, embers of goldenfire, my lord?"
[22:13] <Kotono> "Don't know," Scratching his chin thoughtfully, radiating pure presence as he thinks, making you want to hang on every word, "He didn't care much about gender as long as you could do what he needed you to. He liked women, but no more than any other warm blooded man." Turning back, "Now where was I? Both of you," Looking to them, "If I get Queen Titania to agree to it, will you come to my
[22:13] <Kotono> court?"
[22:13] <Jaela> It seems plausible. And since Afina reminded Lathander of that issue, Jaela listens attentively. His response almost causes her eyebrows to climb up, however.
[22:17] <Afina> She rather wants to shuffle the issue onto Ilsenine, but at the same time it feels cowardly. And she's rather scared Titania would be only too happy to disavow her if she knew about a little unknown fairy breaking herself out of the cycle... "If that is what the Queen desires..." she mutters.
[22:18] <Kotono> "If Her Majesty assents to it, I wll promise to consider it," Ilsenine finally says. "But you must be discreet with Afina. It is assumed that she will come with me if I accept. You need not mention her."
[22:18] * Jaela glances at Afina curiously.
[22:19] * Afina nods, belatedly recalling how he gave up on Jaela promptly since she was spoken for but then didn't give the rulers of fey the same respect he afforded a bunch of jumped up elves. That makes her frown in consternation but she doesn't say anything.
[22:21] <Kotono> "As for goldenfire," Going on, "One of you," Looking to Afina and Jaela now, his eyes felt on them, "Has to win the key from the sun above and another has to use it to open the gate in Thalasia to the volcano. Naturally you'll be challenged several times on the way, both in mental and physical combat. But it's what you seek."
[22:23] * Jaela blinks. "If it's what I think, then I probably won't last long anywhere near the sun even with all my magic," she muses. "Afina, want to handle the first part?"
[22:23] <Afina> "We have to go individually for each?" Afina asks, equally suited to either all considered, but she promptly agrees with Jaela's reasoning. "I can do that."
[22:24] <Jaela> "It sounded like that," Jaela voices, before looking back at Lathander. "Am I wrong?"
[22:26] <Kotono> "You can go together," He says, "But only one of you can get the key and only one of you can open the gate. It's symbolic for how goldenfire was created," Lathander explains. "You may want to call in extra help. The guardians are fearsome."
[22:27] <Jaela> "In that case, I could Gate in someone if it comes to that?" Jaela offers.
[22:28] <Afina> "I can help you endure the heat of the sun but we'll need someone else immune to fire for that trip. Simmer and Arrel, maybe?" Afina suggests.

Corwin

[19:06] <Jaela> "Arrel would like the chance, I bet."
[19:09] <Afina> "He can fly Simmer up there, too," Afina nods. "Alright, sounds like we have a plan. Is there anything else, Lord Lathander?"
[19:12] <Kotono> "No, I think that's everything," he says, as the light grows brighter. When it's gone, you stand outside the Reflectors once more, eyes dazzled but otherwise intact.
[19:13] * Jaela looks around for Queen Ilsenine.
[19:21] <Kotono> Queen Ilsenine flutters next to Afina.
[19:22] <Afina> "Lets go back to Aurora to pick up our backup, then?" Afina asks Jaela.
[19:23] <Jaela> Nodding in response, Jaela offers her hands to the pixies, ready to transport the three of them to the Aurora's gates.
[19:24] <Afina> A hand is duly taken!
[19:25] <Kotono> Queen Ilsenine takes the hand as well. She is quiet as you shift back to Aurora, returning once again.
[19:26] <Jaela> "Do you want to stop for the day?" Jaela asks Afina. "We've been walking for ages and all. Or just keep pressing on with magic?"
[19:27] <Afina> "We can take a break for an hour now to eat and rest, it should take Simmer and Arrel time to get ready, anyway," Afina suggests.
[19:31] <Jaela> "Alright," Jaela agrees. "And we can check on the old man. Hey, think we can send him to Ilmater's place to make sure he recovers properly?"
[19:32] <Afina> "That went so well last time, didn't it?" Afina smiles falsely.
[19:32] <Jaela> "He got treated! I'm the one who had to die!"
[19:34] <Afina> "Well I suppose if you want to risk it again..."
[19:34] <Kotono> "Ahem." Queen Ilsenine coughs into her hand. "Afina."
[19:35] <Jaela> "Someone else will have to come with him. Adrian, maybe? Or Vul'lath?" Jaela tilts her head. "Elena, who's available?"
[19:35] <Afina> Dismissing Jaela for now Afina turns to Ilsenine. "Yes, your Majesty?"
[19:36] <Kotono> Elena appears, "Adrian's...busy. Bad busy. There's a reaction with the spiritual contamination." Elena holds her hands together, looking worried. "He threw up boiling blood."
[19:37] <Kotono> "I-" Queen Ilsenine pauses at that, "Hold," she murmurs, attention on Elena.
[19:37] <Jaela> "What?!" Jaela stares at Elena, before she shakes her head. "Sorry Afina, raincheck. Lead me there, Elena!"
[19:37] <Afina> "Oh, no! Is it under control now?" Afina asks, hardly about to ignore a dying comrade even for her Queen!
[19:38] <Kotono> "Hanna's there and Balyss is there. He's not dying right away. I'm listening in," Pausing a moment to strain and frown, "Hanna's working theory is that between human, hag and dragon blood that something unexpected has happened. she used the phrases uncharted territory and unanticipated ways."
[19:39] <Jaela> "Right now. Right," Jaela drawls out. "Where is he? Infirmary?"
[19:40] <Kotono> "The tower," Pointing over to the tower of the Graceful Blow, "Ithea's already there. She was there when it happened.'
[19:40] * Jaela flies towards the Graceful Blow's tower!
[19:41] <Afina> "Has anyone actually consulted Baleruk about any of this?" Afina asks all of a sudden. "He might not be *nice* but I think he's our most knowledgable healer. He could have insights no one else has figured out."
[19:42] <Kotono> "No..." Elena says, "Right, I'm on it!" As she vanishes the duo flies to the tower of the Graceful Blow!