News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

Pub chat

Started by Anastasia, December 26, 2012, 11:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on June 05, 2013, 01:35:44 AM
Wait, Tier 4 weapons in shops have been like 11,000, so shouldn't they be more around 5500?

Shops aren't obligated to sell at the default price. Generally, anything beyond an absolute bare-bones weapon of the tier is going to cost more. Likewise with any equipment. I'm using the book standard values for this for the sake of example.

QuoteI mean, I still understand your point, the actual inflation per tier is kind of massive and it does make sense, at least in how long you spend "per tier," let's say...

I dunno, it just seems to me like the actual risk vs. reward really isn't there on synthesizing things, but maybe that's an entirely different problem.

Yeah. As said on IRC, the skill system has some problems.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

Question about Black Mage's Specialization

It says "Whenever you deal elemental damage of the chosen type" but seems to indicate it only works if you're attacking with a weapon.

Could I potentially take this with a job change? It isn't a passive innate, technically, but I assume I couldn't either way.

Anastasia

Okay, VSM misread the Bomb stat block and thought bombs were resistant to water instead of weak to it. It read as follows:

Earth: Resists Fire: Absorb Ice: Vulnerable Lightning: Resists Water: Weakness Wind: Vulnerable Holy: Resists Shadow: Resists

You can see where a glance could read 'resists water' rather than 'lighting: resists water: weakness'. Would color coding resists and weaknesses help y'all? Here's an example.

Earth: Resists Fire: Absorb Ice: Vulnerable Lightning: Resists Water: Weakness Wind: Vulnerable Holy: Resists Shadow: Resists

I can do this if you all use the bestiary and think this would be a useful function. I just don't wanna have to go to the effort if no one's going to benefit from it. But if any of you appreciate it, I'll do it. Previous entries will be likewise updated, albeit I'll want a volunteer to check my tagging and colors after me. Tagging posts is tedious work and invites errors due to waning focus.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

It takes me a second read sometimes to determine it, but I haven't had any trouble figuring it out.

Alternatively, you could just do

Resists: (Elements)   Vulnerable: (Elements) 

Or something like that, but if it saves time to do it your way then just keep doing it your way.

Anastasia

Limit break house rule added.

Also, anyone else have an opinion about the elemental affinity coloring above? If you don't, at least say so.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Also, someone asked if stealing is worthwhile. In the interests of this, here's a spoiler on what various enemies have had to steal for the last several sessions.

Lesser Vampire: Mage's Hat
Ogre: Huge Club
Ghast: Zombie Eye
Lesser Archaic Demon: Shadow
Grey Bomb: Bomb Fragment
Agama: Tent
Red Giant: Fire Ore
Ifrit: PWR Source
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I have no trouble with the current layout of elemental resistances.

Nephrite

Are the rules for Limit ABILITIES the same as Limit BREAKS?

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on June 24, 2013, 05:59:12 PM
Are the rules for Limit ABILITIES the same as Limit BREAKS?

More or less. You'll gain them in essentially the same way. They may have mechanical differences to deal with the fact that they're not quite the same thing, but fundamentally, I feel it's two rule sets doing largely the same thing. I'd rather have one expansive category than two smaller categories here and take what I like from each one.

Your first limit break (and the first given out) is largely vanilla and uses the normal limit break rules. I'll go ahead and spoil that unlocking new limit breaks can upgrade old ones as well. This includes reducing the destiny burden of various limit break. 3 destiny makes the typical limit break a rare thing to see.

This gives me a lot of latitude to fine-tune the system as we gain more experience with limit breaks. So if this isn't working, it won't be difficult to make changes to fix things.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I like the sound of it.

Anastasia

Cooooool.

I'm pretty much resigned to liberally houseruling FFd6 now, so it's all good. Helps keep me busy.

I like the system, but it's clearly a work in progress.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Quote from: Anastasia on June 10, 2013, 01:47:45 PM
Okay, VSM misread the Bomb stat block and thought bombs were resistant to water instead of weak to it. It read as follows:

You can see where a glance could read 'resists water' rather than 'lighting: resists water: weakness'. Would color coding resists and weaknesses help y'all? Here's an example.

I can do this if you all use the bestiary and think this would be a useful function. I just don't wanna have to go to the effort if no one's going to benefit from it. But if any of you appreciate it, I'll do it. Previous entries will be likewise updated, albeit I'll want a volunteer to check my tagging and colors after me. Tagging posts is tedious work and invites errors due to waning focus.
Dune wanted me to reply! So doing so!

...so yeah, I don't really check bestiary entries besides the loot part of their entries. So I don't care about the colored elemental traits either way?

Whatever's easier for you, man.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Iron Dragoon

Looks fine to me!
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Nephrite

Question regarding Synthesis, Spellburst and Melt.

Spellburst is an ability you can make with any consumable that allows that consumable to be used to cast a spell based on the property of the item. It states that you can't use a consumable to cast a spell unless you know it, which to me seems preposterous. But either way, assuming that we could cast melt, would you see it as incurring the backlash damage as stated below? I mean, if Lehko makes a 'Melt Bomb' or something, I don't see him holding onto it.

Melt (25 MP)
Target: Single
Type: Effect
Reflectable
This powerful and unique spell allows the caster to channel white-hot heat into an inanimate object – usually armor – and render it twisted and worthless until the magick ends.
If cast on a weapon or other held object, Melt deals (PWR x 2) + 2d6 points of Fire damage to the item's holder every round until the spell ends, or until the item is dropped. If cast on armor, in
addition to the damage taken each round, the target's ARM score is reduced to zero as fabrics ignite and metal becomes fragile. Melt lasts for a total of three rounds, and is therefore incredibly useful to neutralize foes with high physical defenses. Regardless if the spell is effective – or even if it is reflected or otherwise negated

the caster of Melt deals themselves (PWR x 2) + 2d6 points of Fire damage due to the incredible heat channeled by this spell.
Melt cannot be re-cast on the same target until the effects have worn off.

Anastasia

There's two issues here that are only loosely connected.

Firstly, Spellburst as written has issues. So I'm going to revise it to the following:

Spellburst Tier 2/4/6/8

Upon a critical hit, a weapon with spellburst will cast a specific magic spell. The user may also choose to cast the spell from the item as a standard action. Doing so destroys the item unless it has the indestructible property or is noted otherwise. Only one spell may be cast per critical hit. A tier 2 weapon is needed for novice level spells, tier 4 for intermediate, tier 6 for expert and tier 8 for superior. Ancient magic or greater spells with spellburst may exist, but are always found and never created. Spellburst weapons require DM approval before creation.

Think FF5/6 rods and FF6 critical hit weapons like Illumina or Ragnarok. Trying to apply indestructible to a weapon you forge yourself isn't likely to be approved. That's more the domain of something special you find or make with an unique component. Otherwise it risks turning into using spellburst weapons to inflate your ability/spell selection and that's not a road I want to go down.

Secondly, for the sake of consumables and odd effects, talk to me. I'm generally going to rule that spells function as written unless there's a compelling reason otherwise so as to not further rock game balance. In any case, I'd like to be consulted before making consumables that mimic spell effects. There's going to be some DM eyeballing going on.

That sound good to everyone? Questions?
<Afina> Forever.