Loot thread

Started by Sierra, January 05, 2013, 01:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

-4,000gp for a second house out in the woods~
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Ebiris

-28k for the round tower!

Once suitably ensconced in her new home, Julia casts lesser planar binding to summon a small earth elemental which she encourages to go map out the ground beneath her tower. Barring it finding anything interesting, she'll then summon and encourage a thoqqua in the same manner to begin digging out a large subterranean dungeon.

For some reason she likes the idea of living far from the sky all of a sudden.

Also I guess -2k to furnish the tower and dungeon in a suitable fashion? Nothing elaborate yet.

Corwin

-1,125gp for my share of the 4 Teleport scrolls. I'll hold onto 2, and Julia on the other 2?

Sierra

Excavations beneath Julia's new home reveal that the rise her tower occupies was once a burial mound, in some prehistoric era. Interred side by side far below the surface are the skeletal remains of an ogre and a dire wolf. Most of the grave goods have decayed or been crushed into worthlessness by collapse of the crypt, but the warrior's dessicated corpse still retains a club and a smattering of primitive jewelry.

~

Also, before you leave town again, Rosemund pays 14,000 gp to have her mace blessed (Holy quality added).

Ebiris

-2500gp for ring of sustenance

Sierra

Contents of the Burning Hand barracks:

2x potion of Cure Moderate Wounds
2x potion of Cure Serious Wounds
1x potion of Neutralize Poison
1x potion of Remove Disease
1x potion of Protection from Energy (Fire)

Contents of the officer's safe: 5,122 gp and the following amulet:

Corona: This talisman bears the obvious blessing of Pelor and confers upon the wearer the following benefits while worn: fast healing 2, a +2 sacred bonus to will saves, and the following abilities 1/day, all CL 12th: Bless Weapon, Shield Other, Daylight, Death Ward

There is an aura of sanctity about the object and any Evil character wearing it receives none of the above bonuses, instead being gnawed at by a sense of perpetual guilt that imparts a -2 penalty to all saves.

~

Burning Hand station journal

This is a handwritten logbook composed of black ink on plain parchment. The penmanship and writing both demonstrate only a grudging association with literacy. Most of the entries constitute an utterly a mundane recitation of training regimen, disciplinary beatings, and martial evaluations of the Lieutenant's trainees. The log entries begin somewhat over a year ago (keeping roughly to the familiar Solati calendar), and you quickly realize that the bulk of them can be skimmed without missing any content of importance.

The exceptions, however, stand out in strikingly agitated hand whenever the author should be confronted with something not wholly under his control. These highlights are earliest dated a couple months past; they initially express frustration over barracks food shortages and a concurrently suspicious improvement in the health of the common townsfolk, and then proceed as follows:

Spoiler: ShowHide
I have my eye on Trooper Levesque.

The man does not bow or even salute me when we pass in the street. Id have him whipped in the square for insolence were he not still useful to the company. But not part of the company anymore he says. He can fool himself all he likes. Once a man of the corps always a man of the corps.

When he returned last year I took it a dutiful sign. Ysgard! Thought he mightve learnt something martial there and returned to put it to use. Instead came back with all the skills of a grocer. What kind of man spends years in a world of endless battle then lives to avoid battle? A failure slunk back to roost.

But consider, years away from the corps, possibly led astray by outside influences? Best suspect for black market supplier. Smuggle on the side what he doesnt sell to us? Must arrange investigation.

Diverted Trooper Levesque with query about requisitions, sent squad to search his place of business. Nothing suspicious on premises. Serjeant Jacques "read account books til eyes bled" and found nothing out of place. Logs note everything brought into town. Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing out of proportion to inventory.

Told the men to take care, leave no clear sign of investigation. No need to antagonize him while he remains useful supplier of sundries. Still they were only recruits, likely broke something. Sharp fellow would notice, but he passes me by this morning and walks with the same bland smile. The man is an imbecile and I will look elsewhere.

Sharply questioned Crooked Anna re missing supplies. Ugly slut "took offense at my tone." Warned her Id give her more to take offense at if no cooperation. Opened her doors and books at that. Axnar misliked her aura, but the men found nothing unexpected. Magic supplies mostly, have to take her word at it mostly but still no missing food. Some exotic spirits. No surprise there, nothing else to share her bed with at night.

Imp may not be wrong about mistrusting her but imps suspicions not enough cause to have her whipped in the square. Too bad, might teach her to keep her eyes on the ground, but travelers oft need magic shop. One of these days should find excuse to oust the wench from that store. Give it to Tolliver so that fool magell actually be here when we need him.

Spoke with Halja. Waste of time, she makes too much coin guiding slavers to her kin on the other side to bother selling our food to peasants. Greedy but not stupid, wouldnt risk business for a few extra coppers by breaking the rules. Too bad, like her stench least of the merchants.

Not Trooper Levesque not Anna not Halja. No reason for Esgara or his men to steal food they cant eat and even less for him to supply the townspeople. Need I question my own men about this foolishness? What man of them would dare? Have made clear cost of indiscipline. Maybe more examples needed.

Strange visitor today, comely maiden with fire for hair. Is it fire everywhere? Awful thought.

Not strange for hair, strange for questions. Asked about the Captains prize, that old paladin thought to set us free. As though a man should wish for another kind of life! Fire maiden named herself Vigilia, asked about the paladin and her friends. Asked openly and indiscreetly. Dangerous attitude. Fed her some story and sent her off to Brass. Captain should know what to do with her.

Misliked her friends, glad to see them gone before they could cause trouble. Dont need anyone talking about the old days and unsettling the rabble.

Spoke to Quartermaster Gunnerson. Examined current stores along with current and past inventories. Counted everything, EVERYTHING twice. No mistakes. Did he ever see anyone around the storehouse without permission I asked. No he says, but...but what? He fiddles with his hands, wont look me in the eye. I press him, what is it? The books arent right he says. Logs match inventory but not memory, he says, swears he writes ten barrels ale one night, log reads nine barrels there in morning.

I do not think he lies to cover theft. Confusion plain on his fat face. Too fat, I will prescribe laps round the border. He is an idiot and Id replace him with one of my serjeants could I spare any.

Who is left? Peasants showing unexpected skills? Barrel of ale tough thing to hide. Will employ judicious whippings until confession.

MURDER. There has been a MURDER on my watch!

Serjeant Glaswell dead outside barracks this morning, own sword thrust in gut. What was he doing outside? Why no noise? Gut wounds a long death. Cant be accident, wouldve cried out. Could call it accident, avoid looking weak to town, but no, would admit cowardice to murderer. I admit no such thing. Brazen acts must be answered in kind.

I see now Ive been too easy on them all. Made sweep of houses, company food in nigh every house. So many whippings and no confession. They mock me behind my back and it will not stand.

So be it. Examples must be made.

Gave Smith Gerrel to the flames this morning. We took his daughter last year and she was Serjeant Glaswells favorite. Reason enough.

Watched crowd as he burned. These people are so defeated but someone resists, mimics their woe while he plots. Ill break this man should he be the very last standing.

Serjeant Jacques is dead. Cut in training mishap morning, treated by barracks nurse noon, frothing purple dead come evening. Obvious poison. Who else in town knows enough to poison? Womans weapon, too much medicine its own poison.

Ive given the traitorous harlot to the flames in recompense.

Serjeant Dixon torn by claws, left at edge of old camp. Wounds festered with disease. Asked Axnar, what could cause such injuries? Axnar says ghoul. Halja not possibly stupid enough to kill so obviously. Unless she wants me to think that? Plan to throw off suspicion by being TOO suspicious? Makes no sense. Brought squad to her shop and questioned her anyway. Angry at accusation, called guards, threatened confrontation. Barely cowed by Cokelys arrival. I should have him with me at all times now.

Halja says she was in shop all evening, doing business with merchant Cadden. Spoke to Cadden, confirmed story. Maybe he is in on it. Maybe they are all in on it. These people are losing their fear. I must remind them of it.

I burned one of the peasants instead. Must not be seen that justice has been evaded.

Two of my senior troopers were cut to pieces last night. Sneaking off to breeding cells during rest hours. Stupid fools shouldve known damn well reason for curfew. Would say better off without them but I need every man at this time.

I will burn another peasant tomorrow. Something is in the air. They are all against me and I am a step from butchering every one. This must end before the Captain can hear of it.

[The most recent entry was hastily dashed off just this morning:]

New arrivals at the execution this morning, four women. Not seeking the portal. They didnt even know it was here! What purpose here if not transit through portal? Very curious and they bear watching. Suspicious to have sightseers during rebellion. Will take no action if visitors cause no trouble, Captains orders...But if they do well the men could use fresh mates and I think I fancy whitehaired sons.

~

Burning Hand account book

This logbook tracks company finances over the past two years. At a quick glance, the majority of deductions come from mundane supply purchases; the income is mostly flagged "tribute" or "Captains stipend." There is also a monthly deduction of 250 gold marked simply as "Esgara."

The writing becomes erratic in more recent entries. The author begins making daily counts and the total often fluctuates by one or two gold between days without any purchases or income marked to account for the changes. The penmanship spikes with visible frustration and the author often crosses out and recounts a day's tally when discrepancies with the previous day's sum occur. Over the past month, the entries become interspersed with paranoid outbursts, promises of retribution for unknown parties, and vicious profanity.

Yesterday's count of the Ashpile station's treasury amounts to 5,123 gold pieces.

Sierra

The Ashpile soldiery collectively carried the following equipment:

-Axiomatic longsword +1 (18,315gp)
-Chain mail +2 (4,300gp)
-Heavy steel shield +2 (4,170gp)
-Longsword +1 (2,315gp)
-Chain mail +1 (1,300gp)
-Heavy steel shield +1 (1,170gp)
-1x potion of Haste (750gp)
-30x longsword/chain mail/heavy steel shield, all mundane recruit gear (5,550gp total)

Also Esgara's longspear +3 (18,305gp)

Sierra

For Stephanie's reference:

The Vampiric weapon trait is a +2 enhancement. With it, the weapon deals 1d6 extra damage to any living target; the user is healed by an amount equal to damage inflicted in this manner.

Belinda's letter affords you half-price for a new weapon or for the addition of that enhancement to an existing weapon.

-For the former, post-discount that amounts to: +1 vampiric dagger, rapier, or short sword (the options Stephanie asked about): 9,151gp, 9,160gp, 9,155gp.

-For the latter, consult this chart: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm. Cost would be half the difference between the weapon's current total enhancement cost and the new (+2 for vampiric trait) total enhancement cost.

Carthrat

I'll upgrade my keen rapier +2. That costs 16,000.
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Ebiris

-750gp for a potion of fly

Sierra

Rosey buys 2x potion of Invisibility for herself and Julia.

Also note 1k gp bribe for Belinda if you haven't already.

Ebiris

-1k for Belinda, yes. Technically 4k but I know you're all good for it.

Corwin

Sierra

Captain Dalton's enchanted possessions include the following:

-1x longsword
-2x ring
-1x torc

Vixri carried the following magical items:

-1x longspear
-1x ring

Dalton's vaults contained the following treasure trove:

-32,659 raw gp
-A pile of unappraised gems and jewelry
-1x pearl (magical)
-A fine turquoise decanter (magical)
-A detailed model of a city, a foot wide and as tall at its topmost towers, supported by a plethora of eerily lifelike legs (magical, K:P also applies)
-An object of metalwork, one foot high (magical): a tree of metal spikes decorated with the impaled bodies of men and woman. Though ghastly, the artistry applied to their expressions of suffering is impressive.
-A tiny and extremely lifelike statue of a dragon (not magical, but K:A applies). The little creature looks to be stretching and yawning, as if captured in the process of waking. The stone medium is gray and very dull.
-A glass vial containing a sluggishly viscous gray liquid (magical)
-A cameo locket of a hideously ugly woman, worked in onyx with ruby eyes (unappraised)
-A stone sphere, mottled red and blue (magical)
-A long, clear prism (magical)

Corwin

I'll take 10 on Spellcraft for a result of 25 on everything?