056. (Coda) Part 1: Gathering allies and shaking off rust

Started by Anastasia, March 02, 2013, 12:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

> Vivantha reaches up, stroking Muirfinn's backfeathers. "We don't have a Abyssal lordling opposing us this time," she declares, "We will triumph."
> You hop past another few little gaps, and ahead is a bigger one. It's 40ft wide, full of grey, bubbling liquid. It looks like nothing more than boiling iron, fi it didn't turn red when melted. No heat comes from it.
<Muirfinn> An obvious trap! Muirfinn looks with his should still be active Detect Magic!
> "How curious," Hanna pauses a moment, flying over. There's no magic to it, Hanna adding, "Nothing my vision sees either, and lies crumble before it."
> "Could it be water with an unusual contaminant?" Vivantha opines, "Perhaps some types of water in this realm are just that color."
<Muirfinn> "Perhaps."
> Flying over goes without incident. There's several more gaps, and ahead? There's another golden pool. It's maybe 20ft long or so, but halfway down it, an invisible wall of force blocks the way. Muirfin's augmented eyes can see it, Hanna stopping as well. "Wall of force," she announces, "Right over the middle of the golden pool."
<Muirfinn> "Who wants to try their hand at dispelling this time?"
> "We need something stronger," Vivantha speaks up, "A normal dispel magic won't work. Disintegration does, as does a magic disjunction."
<Muirfinn> "I can do neither of those, unfortunately."
> "I can manage it by beseeching Lady Gwynharwyf," Hanna says, "I heard you had Kascha use a Wish so you're familiar with what that sort of magic entails." Her gaze slips to Muirfinn, "I can fight without magic far better than Kascha, at least." A hint of a smile comes, "She always looks so lost when she draws her sword."
* Muirfinn snorts in a remarkably unpleasant birdlike manner, shaking his head.
> "It does seem the only option, unless you can manipulate the earth again." Vivantha considers, "I assume that pool is trapped or otherwise hazardous. The wall's position to send someone flying over into it."
<Muirfinn> "I cannot."
> "Then that's that." Hanna kneels, placing her axe head-down before her. She bows her head against the handle, closing her eyes. What she chant is pure Celestial, causing the walls to gleam with heavenly light from above. Hanna rises, surrounded by light! Her hand points out, a thin green ray coming from it! It hits the invisible wall, instantly destroying it!
> Ellese whimpers and looks away, averting her eyes. They're tightly closed shut until several seconds past, her gaze looking on with trembling.
<Muirfinn> "Ellese? Are you alright?"
> Hanna rises slowly, stretching her arms and rubbing them, before doing the same to her legs.
> "I'm fine," she says quietly, voice strained. "My magic and holy power are not wholly compatible."
> "At all compatible," Hanna appends, "Come, talk about it later."
* Muirfinn nods birdily.
> Across you go! You go down - the passage slopes sharper and you go over more, longer pools. Perhaps 10 minutes of this without incident, until at last Hanna speaks up, "Whomever did this isn't setting as many traps now. It doesn't make any sense. This is a good tunnel's a good location for traps and delays."
> "Maybe they're marshalling forces closer to them?" Ellese says, "Outer scouts in concentric rings with a core of strength."
<Muirfinn> "Or our tormentor is completely insane. Remember, it's using spears made entirely of adamantine, bone monstrosities, and raw chaos stuff."
> "Great,
> OOC: Gah.
> "Great," Hanna shakes her head as you fly on. Down, down, down down and down you go. The pools thin out a little bit and you come to the bottom - and here you come to a dead end! The wall ends simply, a smooth and natural terminus point. Hanna stops about 100ft away, "Is that supposed to be there?" she asks back to Ellese.
> "No," Ellese shakes her head, "Nothing about a dead end wall. We're on the right path."
> "Which means we've found our next obsticle," Hanna cracks her knuckles, "I don't see anything special. Do you?" she says, asking Muirfinn.
<Muirfinn> "When in doubt, I can always hit it with extraordinary force."
> "My axe is adamantine," Hanna says, "I can give it a good try."
> Ellese looks away briefly, but says nothing.
<Muirfinn> "You're in the lead, feel free. You're more likely to get through with that."
> With a nod, Hanna raises her axe and charges, bringing it down in a tremendous blow on the wall!
> roll 3d6+61
* Kobot (~dunefar@ip68-96-9-49.hr.hr.cox.net) has joined #dunes
> roll 3d6+61
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 3d6+61 --> [ 3d6=7 ]{68}
> Hanna cuts deeply into the wall! It opens up a gouge, but there's a lot more stone left and it doesn't break through.
> Hanna leans in to inspect her handiwork, "The wall's at least a foot thick and probably more." Blowing a bit of rockdust away, "It could take hours or days to hack through this traditionally."
> "Brave hero," Vivantha speaks up, "Could summoning or becoming an earth elemental be the answer? Can't they glide through rock like water?"
* Muirfinn flaps his wings, lifting off of Vivantha and taking natural form beside her. "They can. Unfortunately, they pass through it like water, leaving no trace behind. We could use the thoqquas again though. They could melt a hole through to the other side
<Muirfinn> ."
> "They're so useful," Vivantha's smile rises, "Please."
> Hanna smirks a little bit, hefting her axe up behind her.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d4+1
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d4+1 --> [ 1d4=4 ]{5}
<Muirfinn> With the wave of a hand and a brief chant in Terran, five smallish worms with burning heads appear! With a word from Muirfinn, they begin rapidly tunnelling through the rock, melting it away like a knife through butter!
> With this, the party quickly goes through the created tunnel. The rock wall is an amazing 10 feet thick! When you reach the other side - gah! Ahead is a forest. An underground forest. The roof is covered in glowing pyrite and quartz, a golden luster over everything. The trees here are twisted, gem-like fruits (or fruit-like gems?) hanging from them. Apples like rubies, pears like citrines, trees with tiny grapes like amethysts. The forest ahead is thick, but a wide, long path has been cleared away.
<Muirfinn> "I'm starting to think more and more that this place is owned by a madman."
> "It's simply an alien realm to us. It's the home of creature that may never see the sun," Hanna says with a slight shake of her head, "Will we follow the path made for us?"
> "It's..." Vivantha stops and stares, staring ever so long and hard at everything here.
<Muirfinn> "Well it's certainly different." Muirfinn says equably.
> With eyes that grow wider and wider by the moment, "Oh Muirfinn, it's magical," she breathes, "Imagine, a forest of gems and light!"
<Muirfinn> OOC: How high are them apples?
> OOC: Varies, from about 5ft to 50ft up.
* Muirfinn reaches out and grabs a low-hanging apple, yanking it from the tree.
> The apple rings like a bell, liquid sloshing inside. You find that it's semi-transparent and hollow, but full of liquid within. As the liquid sloshes, the tinkling of bells is heard.
* Muirfinn peers at it, tapping its surface with a pointy claw.
> The surface is rather britte, like softened glass. It smells fruity - not like an apple, more like cherries.
> "Hm?" Hanna glances over at the apple, "Hungry?"
<Muirfinn> "Curious." Muirfinn says, peeling the top off and casting Detect Poison.
> OOC: Make a Wisdom or Craft(Alchemy) check if you have any ranks in that.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+10
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+10 --> [ 1d20=5 ]{15}
> OOC: I presume that was wisdom?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Correct!
> The liquid within the apple is indeed poisonous.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Magical?
> OOC: Faintly.
* Muirfinn sniffs at it. "I think it might be poisonous." He prompts that by drinking a bit of it.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Immune btw
> It's heavy. Heavy like drinking liquid stone, yet entirely sweet. It reminds Muirfinn of cherry and pineapple juices mixed together. A mere sip makes him tremendously full, stomach sagging and bulging with the weight of it.
> "How is it?" Hanna says, a hint of amusement in her voice, "I suppose you won't die even if you drink poison."
> "Eeeh!" Vivantha suddenly turns extremely red, "What are you DOING?!" she blurts out.
<Muirfinn> "Being brave." Muirfinn says, winking very slyly at Vivantha. To Hanna he says, "Odd. It's incredibly filling. Fills the stomach like I just ate an entire meal. Very sweet. Not unpleasant to the taste, but..." He gestures at his stomach. "Clearly not conducive to productive eating. It's toxic, yes. Slightly magical." Muirfinn smacks the lips of his beak together. "Ah, pardon me. This won't do."
<Muirfinn> Muirfinn toddles a few steps off, makes an unpleasant horking sound and regurgitates a good chunk og the fluid.
> Ellese begins panting, staring at Muirfinn as he does so.
> Hanna looks away, before coming over and pointedly turning Ellese away from Muirfinn.
> Vivantha just looks entirely pale, covering her mouth with both hands.
* Muirfinn wipes his beak with a cloth. "Ah, pardon me. Those results were unexpected."
> "I think that's enough playing with the scenery," Hanna says, "How about we get moving?"
* Muirfinn nods. "So. Don't eat the fruit."
<Muirfinn> "Unless you're immune to poison like me and don't mind having an uncomfortably full stomach."
> Vivantha doesn't say anything - she just hurries along. Meanwhile Hanna guides Ellese by the shoulders, whispering into her ear while the elf sorceress bows her head.
<Muirfinn> "Nobody ever likes my jokes."
> Thus the party plunges into the forest. It's quiet - no animals make noise. Just your footsteps as you follow the path in. But soon in you notice something - a wide and obvious trail of blood advancing ahead. It's about six inches wide and stretches farther than you can see.
* Muirfinn bends down to examine it.
> Hanna silently kneels before it, "Obvious," she mutters, "It's a lot of blood too." It's reddish blood - bright red, despite being dry it hasn't lost any color.  OOC: You can make an K:P check here if you wish.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+22
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+22 --> [ 1d20=4 ]{26}
> roll 1d20+29 Hanna
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 1d20+29 Hanna --> [ 1d20=13 ]{42}
> Hanna touches the blood with one finger, gathering up a few dried flakes. She sniffs it, her color quickly becoming pallid. Cleansing her finger with a slight bit of magic and wiping it clean, "Evil-tainted."
> "Worse," Ellese kneels, scraping off a good chunk and licking it off her hand. "Demon-tainted. Demon and pain. So much pain. Pain and hate flow like water."
* Muirfinn straightens, frowning. "At least it's injured."
> "Ellese!" Hanna's voice is sharp, a stinging rebuke in tone, "Don't do that!"
> "Sorrow too," Ellese adds, "The demon is horribly sad. As much as it wants to destroy everything, it just wants to lament."
> Ellese doesn't even react to Hanna, going on from that. "I know the taste of sorrow," she adds, "There is a bitter sorrow in this blood. It's nostalgic."
<Muirfinn> "Oh boy, not another devil demon yugoloth fusion."
> "Great," Hanna drawls slowly, rubbing her temple, "We have a depressed demon ahead of us. Maybe it'll recite bad bardsong and whine about the world being meaningless before it tries to kill us."
> "I doubt such are that common, are they?" Vivantha says, hanging a little back, one hand to her chest.
> "I mean those odd hybrids," she adds, "I can't imagine a sad demon. They seem so joyously hateful."
> "It can be joyous in oblivion," Hanna says shortly, "Be it a hybrid, a demon or whatever else." Standing back up, "It's odd for a demon to be sorrowful, but it's not unheard of. Most that I've dealt with do tend more towards malicious glee than despair."
<Muirfinn> "Either way, we should probably kill it."
> "Devils hate demons. I hate demons," Ellese also stands, "But I hate devils even more, so I hate demons less because of it." Here she shrugs, "Devils are worse."
> "It doesn't matter," Hanna says firmly, sparing a glance at Ellese, "To argue over who is worse is to lose sight of the fact that all fthe fiends have to be stopped. " Taking to the path ahead, "Let's start anew with the one that left this trail, if it's still breathing."
<Muirfinn> "Quite so. Evil is evil. Denoting chaos or order is only to divide them. They must all be purged, in the end."
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

> Deeper in the party goes. You follow the path of blood, winding through the bejeweled trees. You walk for a time, Vivantha at your side. Then from your other side a voice says, "Walking along the path of a warrior, under the fruit of a strong arm." A dwarf-sized creature now silently walks with you, clad head to toe in heavy full plate armor.
> Hanna turns back at that, axe in hand but not hefted for battle. Ellese keeps going, only looking up from the map once she sees Hanna stopping.
<Muirfinn> "Quite so." Muirfinn says, strolling on while keeping a quiet eye on the dwarf./
<Muirfinn> OOC: Whee unnecessary slashes
> "Hm?" Vivantha turns, "Did you say something?"
> Hanna shrugs and keeps walking, Ellese doing the same.
> "The creature that's ahead of you is powerful but wrapped in pain," The figure goes on, "Perhaps at one time her dreams would have fit here, and perhaps they will again, but right now they do not." The creature has a strong voice, reminding you of a commander's barking tones. It's vaguely masculine.
<Muirfinn> "This place seems designed to cause pain. Pits, spear traps, poison fruit."
> "The traps are not the doing of this place. The creature laid more here, but they have failed. This is a place of glorious dreams and battle, not a thieves' lair." The dwarf-sized creature's words are tinged with indignation, gesturing ahead with one hand, "The fruit is poisonous because it is the dreams of warriors from across everything. Glory in battle is seeded by pain, tragedy and death."
> "Who are you talking to?" Vivantha peers ahead, reaching up to place a hand on Muirfinn's head, "Do you feel unwell?"
<Muirfinn> Muirfinn turns to her, looking at her with concern. "You don't see the dwarf in full plate?
<Muirfinn> "
> "No. No I do not," This gets the lillend to peer around, "I do not."
<Muirfinn> "Anyone else?"
> "I do," Hanna adds in, while Ellese just shakes her head and focuses on the map.
> "It's not important," The armored creature goes on, "There will be battles ahead. For you they will be but a trifle."
<Muirfinn> "Oh good. It wasn't the apple." Muirfinn nods. "Don't worry, Vivantha. If hanna can see it too, there must be a reason. I'd like to hear what it has to say."
<Muirfinn> "My apologies," Muirfinn says to the dwarf. "Do go on."
> "But be wary of the creature ahead. I had to restrain my eyes, but I detected she lives with grevious wounds." The creature continues as you walk on further, "She constantly spoke aloud, speaking of taking revenge on the cat's whore and then the cat."
<Muirfinn> "Cat? Could be Sharess..."
> "She's the Mother of Cats," Hanna adds as Vivantha just watches on in complete puzzlement. "If not her, then one of her servants would be my first guess."
> "Be forewarned. For as long as her dreams do not fit here, she will find no solace." The dwarf steps back so much at once, becoming a dot in the distance behind you.
<Muirfinn> "Well, that was a kind warning. The demon we are trailing is a female, who does not belong. She hunts 'the cat's whore and the cat.' Also reviled is the creature who lairs here. The traps it has set are unwanted.
<Muirfinn> "
> "Troublesome, but it's nice that the locals are on our side for once," Hanna opines as she continues through the forest.
<Muirfinn> 11th level makes you immune to criticals at all times???
<Muirfinn> OOC: OOPS
> OOC: MEant to PM Neph, eh?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Yes.
* Muirfinn nods, keeping an eye ahead on the blood trail.
> The trail goes on - and the path widens. 30ft ahead there's a flash. Murmurs - dozens of indistinct noises echo about. Words like bravery, glory, bloodshed and war stand out in particular. Ahead, a rain of gem-like fruits fall! Each one shatters on hitting the ground, forming a warrior! The races, build and weapons vary, but in a moment there are dozens standing before you. The voices grow louder, prayers of valor. They slowly synch into one single prayer, "Grant us bravery ahead, we who are about to cast our spite into the maw of war!"
<Muirfinn> "A group of warriors down here?":
<Muirfinn> OOC: I'm just batting a thousand with my fumblefingers tonight
> "More than that," Hanna says, standing tall and with her axe in both hands ahead of her, "Those fruits are the dreams of warriors? Then these are the concentrated hopes and prayers of warriors ready for battle." Slowly a smile comes to Hanna's face, "Let's give them what they're asking for."
* Muirfinn nods. "Let's. Ellese, how much farther do we have to go after this until we reach our destination?"
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> Before Ellese can reply, the small army of warriors advances onto the party! OOC: Init here, y'all.
> roll 1d20+12 Hanna
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+12 Hanna and gets 30." [1d20=18]
> roll 1d20+9 Ellese (+2 to Hanna's rule due to Vivantha's aura)
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+9 Ellese (+2 to Hanna's rule due to Vivantha's aura) and gets 28." [1d20=19]
> roll 1d20+14 Vivantha
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+14 Vivantha and gets 32." [1d20=18]
> roll 1d20+10 Army
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+10 Army and gets 21." [1d20=11]
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+12 oh my
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+12 oh my and gets 26." [1d20=14]
* Kotono changes topic to 'Hanna=Vivantha(32)>Ellese(28)>Muirfinn(26)>Army(21)'
> With a beastly roar, Hanna's body bursts into muscles! She charges into thet teeth of the enemy, axe lashing out!
> roll 1d20+36 (+2 charge, +5 rage, -7 PA)
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+36 (+2 charge, +5 rage, -7 PA) and gets 47." [1d20=11]
> roll 3d6+42
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 3d6+42 and gets 58." [3d6=4, 6, 6]
> Hanna's assault is furious, cleaving through the front four warriors like they're littlie more than tissue paper! Blood sprays in every direction as they collapse, sundered apart! At the same time Vivantha hangs back, beginning to sing a rousing battlesong! It makes your blood boil and your weapons vibrate with sonic energy! OOC: Lillend inspiration, +5d6 sonic per melee hit. Ellese is up.
* Nephrite (~rscuderii@65.33.116.127) Quit (Quit: BRB)
> Ellese doubles over, holding her stomach! One hand goes out, an orb of fire twisting into a sphere of snarling acid! She holds it in hand before throwing it at the soldiers, where it promptly blossoms into a massive acidball!
> roll 1d20+15 ref
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+15 ref and gets 32." [1d20=17]
> roll 20d6 acid
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 20d6 acid and gets 72." [20d6=6, 6, 2, 4, 5, 4, 1, 6, 2, 5, 3, 1, 4, 1, 4, 4, 6, 1, 1, 6]
> Several soldiers are immolated in acid, dissolved down to the bones! But more remain, en-masse rushing the party as suddenly melee is joined! OOC: Muirfinn, you're medium sized right now?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Yes.
> OOC: This provokes AoOs from Hanna and Vivantha. They'll take 'em.
> roll 1d20+34 Hanna
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+34 Hanna and gets 48." [1d20=14]
> roll 3d6+42+5d6
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 3d6+42+5d6 and gets 72." [3d6=3, 5, 4][5d6=5, 4, 3, 2, 4]
> roll 1d20+25
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+25  and gets 41." [1d20=16]
> roll 1d8+6+5d6
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d8+6+5d6 and gets 23." [1d8=1][5d6=2, 1, 6, 1, 6]
> roll 1d20+26 Hanna
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+26 Hanna and gets 34." [1d20=8]
> roll 1d20+26 Ellese
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+26 Ellese and gets 30." [1d20=4]
> roll 1d20+26 Vivantha
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+26 Vivantha and gets 30." [1d20=4]
> roll 1d20+26 Muirfin AC?
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+26 Muirfin AC? and gets 32." [1d20=6]
<Muirfinn> OOC: base is 43
> roll 5d6+45 Ellese nonlethal doesn't beat her regen
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 5d6+45 Ellese nonlethal doesn't beat her regen and gets 64." [5d6=6, 3, 6, 1, 3]
> The army crashes against the four heroes like a tidal wave, yet they stand firm! A sweep of Hanna's axe slays all that approach her, while Vivantha nimbly ducks and footsweeps her attackers down. Muirfinn merely dodges, while Ellese doesn't even do that! Blow after blow shreds her body, yet not a single one draws blood. Skin is torn loose, yet it knits back together before your very eyes! OOC:Muirfinn, go. I also skipped your turn. Whoops. I suck. Go.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Oh noes.
> OOC: This encounter doesn't look to be a serious threat, but still. My bad.
<Muirfinn> Eyes flicking briefly to Ellese before determining her to be fine, Muirfinn's form balloons out. He becomes translucent and is govered in froth and seafoam. Big watery arms swing down onto the warriors that charged them! OOC: No big. I saw you do it and I was like, let's see what happens.
> OOC: Right, make your attacks. WAter elemental form?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Yes. Sec. My sheet with premade attacks appears to be missing. Will have to type it out.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+37
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+37
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+32
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+27
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+37 and gets 56." [1d20=19]
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+37 and gets 47." [1d20=10]
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+32 and gets 40." [1d20=8]
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+27 and gets 37." [1d20=10]
<Muirfinn> OOC: Found it!
> OOC: All hit.
<Muirfinn> roll 4d10+5+14+2d6 holy damage, plus 1 Con damage each hit. Counts as magic/good/bludgeoning/silver
<Muirfinn> roll 4d10+5+14+2d6 holy damage, plus 1 Con damage each hit. Counts as magic/good/bludgeoning/silver
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 4d10+5+14+2d6 holy damage, plus 1 Con damage each hit. Counts as magic/good/bludgeoning/silver and gets 51." [4d10=8, 1, 9, 8][2d6=2, 4]
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 4d10+5+14+2d6 holy damage, plus 1 Con damage each hit. Counts as magic/good/bludgeoning/silver and gets 45." [4d10=7, 1, 8, 1][2d6=5, 4]
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 4d10+5+14+2d6 holy damage, plus 1 Con damage each hit. Counts as magic/good/bludgeoning/silver and gets 50." [4d10=10, 6, 2, 7][2d6=2, 4]
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 4d10+5+14+2d6 holy damage, plus 1 Con damage each hit. Counts as magic/good/bludgeoning/silver and gets 47." [4d10=5, 4, 10, 1][2d6=5, 3]
> The army, already decimated by the superhumanly skilled assault, is putty before Muirfinn. He smashes head after head in, crumpling up Ysgardian soldiers by the dozen! In the aftermath of the short battle the soldiers vanish, vanquished! OOC: Free act. That's what happens when you run into a CL 13 or so encounter.
* Muirfinn takes a moment before spinning down and back into his natural form. "Enthusiastic, I'll give them that."
> "A challenge for those unworthy of advancing further," Hanna cleans her axe off before resuming her walk ahead.
* Muirfinn nods.
> Ellese takes the map back out, "We aren't far now," she pipes up. "Ahead are chambers where our goal lies."
> "We're close then, brave hero," Vivantha follows at Muirfinn's side, "I fear our greatest challenge left is merely this sundered creature." Looking down at the wide trail of blood you follow, "I fear for whatever it is, for it to bleed such and still pose a threat to us."
<Muirfinn>  "Alright. I feel that perhaps I should start doling out protective spells so that we can do this right. Would anyone like a shield of sand or protection from negative energy?"
> "I'd like both," Hanna says, "Let me cast Fortunate Fate on all of us."
> "I'm fine," Ellese says. Her face twists with a sickly smile, "That sort of thing won't kill me."
> "Please," Vivantha says, "Anything to help."
* Muirfinn nods, tapping Hanna with his wand. "Vivantha?"
> OOC: Note bonuses in thecauldron.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Blarg double
* Muirfinn also taps Vivantha, then himself. This is followed by Death Wards for Hanna & Vivantha, and Owl's Insight on himself.
> So prepared, the party goes ahead! You soon reach the end of the forest. Here, a slate of pure black basalt has been carved hollow, an archway within. Once great doors sat here, but they have been wrenched ajar and scarred. The blood trail goes on and the scent of foul carrion fills the air. Ahead, within, you can hear pounding.
<Muirfinn> "Sounds like that's our demon."
> Hanna nods silently, creeping back. In a bare whisper, "What's our strategy to deal with it?"
<Muirfinn> "Well, we could attempt to draw it out, or fight it in there."
> "I favor overwhelming force. We can slay it before it reacts," Hanna crosses her arms, while Meanwhile Vivantha says, "I say we at least spy on it first, to discern if it cna detect us and see what we're facing."
* Muirfinn waves his hands in the air, spealing a brief word in terran. A single small earth elemental appears out of the ground.
<Muirfinn> "We have an excellent spy here. It can glide through the walls, spy for us, then report back safely."
> "Good," Hanna says, readying her axe, "Have it go." OOC: Go ahead and give it instructions then send it along?
* Muirfinn turns to the elemental, speaking in Terran. "Go, spy on the demon below for us. Use the earth and stone as cover and protection while you do so, then report back to me."
<Muirfinn> Off it goes!
> OOC: What bonuses do your s ummons get?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Ashbound: +3 luck bonus to attack, all summons are extended
> roll 1d20 Will
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20 Will and gets 5." [1d20=5]
<Muirfinn> OOC: Augment summons: +4 to Str/Dex
<Muirfinn> OOC: err, Con
> The summon goes in. There's a few moments of silence before a scream. A scream like the earth shuddering, the elemental coming back out! It races ahead and past you, half in and half hout of the rock. A look of utter horror is on its face, cracks running up and down it as it screams and stretches its mouth much too far.
> "...Gwynharwyf's blade," Hanna bites off, squaring her shoulders, hefting her axe and looking ahead. "There goes surprise."
> Ellese starts to smile, a smile that transforms her face into something beautiful. "That's real fear," she mutters, "The demons are ahead. The real demons. The chaos that must not be named."
<Muirfinn> "Right. So, fear aura? That's good to know about."
> Before anything else can be said? The doors ahead groan as they push open further! Ahead of you is...OOC: More
> .
> The creature before you looks to be a marilith, yet is it scarred all over. Its tail is split in twain, strings shiny with fresh blood connecting the two halves together. As she slithers forward her tail splits apart and bleeds, only to be pulled back together by the strings. Instead of the six arms of a proper marilith, you see six things gruesomely tied and soldered to her body. An ashen white humanoid arm with bloody red fingernails is the first. The second is a too large brown arm bulging with veins, a terrific carrion reek coming from it. The third arm is a rusty thing of metal ending in a claw, resembling the works of Mechanus. The fourth is a tanned and toned arm of a human or similar creature, bearing a jagged, curved blade. Yet where it connects to the marilith's body, the flesh of the snake-demon constantly smoulders and smokes. The fifth arm is naught but a blade, as big as a giant's greatsword. It is opposite the last arm, a brown wing of wood and feathers, creaking as it flaps in the air. Its face is a mask of miserable agony, staring ahead with with snarling hatred. "Servants of the whore?" In spite of it all her voice is a thrilling thing, that of a commander addressing his army before war. OOC: Make Will saves all. Mind-affecting.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Immune!
> roll 1d20+31 Vivantha
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+31 Vivantha and gets 46." [1d20=15]
> OOC: +4 resistance from Hanna's aura to hers for 50.
> roll 1d20+38 (+4 Hanna, +2 class ability)
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+38 (+4 Hanna, +2 class ability) and gets 49." [1d20=11]
> roll 1d20+40 Hanna
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+40 Hanna and gets 54." [1d20=14]
> The visage ahead of you turns your stomach. Horror bubbles up like acid into your throat, eroding your self-control. In spite of your protections the thing before you is wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! Only years of self-control and iron will prevents Muirfinn from doubling over in abject sickness, holding complete panic at bay. OOC: Act.
> OOC: Ya'll can make K:P here checks as you please.
> roll 1d20+28 Ellese
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+28 Ellese and gets 45." [1d20=17]
> roll 1d20+29 Hanna
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+29 Hanna and gets 38." [1d20=9]
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+22
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+22 and gets 30." [1d20=8]
> Memories of a book come to mind, a book purchased at Aurora. The creature before you is Kina-ja, a powerful Abyssal general that challenged the goddess Sharess. It is said her body was ruined and her army obliterated by the angry goddess in the aftermath, yet she escaped. See here: http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101729.msg1040195/topicseen.html#msg1040195
> "Rejoice, demon!" Hanna shouts, face pale yet her expression a tight mask of fury. "Today we finish what Sharess started!"
> Vivantha averts her eyes, tears coming from them. Her hand shakes as she shields her face with one hand, the other held out, as if to hold the marilith at bay.
> Ellese smiles. It's a soft smile, really rather sad. "I understand," Is all she says, "We'll end your suffering. It'll hurt, but everything worthwhile hurts."
<Muirfinn> "Oh, I remember this one. There's a book about her. Kina-ja." Muirfinn taps his beak. "Well, this will make for a fine story."
> "You won't stop me! Not here, not now! Not when I'm this close!" Her blade-arm slashes out, cutting ten feet into the door nearby. It's neatly cut through, the stone sliced as easily as paper. Slowly the mutilated demon slithers forward, "Let me send you back to the Sharess to warm the way for Syala!" OOC: Init here. The crazy demon is rather homicidal, as demons tend to be. She's 40ft away.
> roll 1d20+14 Vivantha
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+14 Vivantha and gets 28." [1d20=14]
> roll 1d20+9 Ellese
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+9 Ellese and gets 12." [1d20=3]
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+12
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+12 and gets 21." [1d20=9]
> roll 1d20+14 Hanna
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+14 Hanna and gets 25." [1d20=11]
> roll 1d20+13 Kina-ja
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+13 Kina-ja and gets 23." [1d20=10]
* Kotono changes topic to 'Vivantha(28)>Hanna(25)>Kina-ja(23)>Muirfinn(21)>Ellese(12)'
> "Don't underestimate this one," Hanna calls, ready to pounce ahead. "No holding back!"
> Vivantha merely nods, taking to song! Suddenly a lively melody of victory and endurance fills the air, filling your weapons with sonic energy! At the same time a tale of heroism fills you to the brim! OOC: +5d6 on all weapon attacks, +4 dodge AC and +4 bonus to saves for Hanna and Muirfinn. Hanna's up.
> Hanna surges ahead, but doesn't fall into a rage! Instead she rushes the demon, yet the demon is faster! As Hanna closes in, the demon's scimitar slashes out for the angel's flesh!
> roll 1d20+54
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+54 and gets 58." [1d20=4]
> OOC: What does Death Ward stop?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Negative energy. energy drain. Negative levels. All death effects.
> roll 2d6+21+3d6 lethal damage to Hanna, stopped negative levels
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d6+21+3d6 lethal damage to Hanna, stopped negative levels and gets 32." [2d6=4, 1][3d6=1, 3, 2]
> OOC: -6 for her DR/-.
> roll 1d20+47 (+2 charge, +9 smite evil)
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+47 (+2 charge, +9 smite evil) and gets 64." [1d20=17]
> roll 3d6+31
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 3d6+31 and gets 42." [3d6=4, 4, 3]
> The two exchange blows as Hanna races in! Hanna gets a slash on her side, the death ward flaring with light around her! Holy patterns suffuse Hanna, pushing the blackness of the scimitar away! At the same time Hanna's axe bites into the demon's side, but only penetrates slightly! It does draw blood, but the demon proves resilient! "You," Kina-ja croaks, "Suffer!"  A storm of attacks is unleashed on Hanna, all of her mismatched arms flailing wildly at the angel!
> roll 1d20+54 scimitar
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+54 scimitar and gets 70." [1d20=16]
> roll 1d20+54 scimitar crit?
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+54 scimitar crit? and gets 69." [1d20=15]
> roll 1d20+49
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+49 and gets 50." [1d20=1]
> roll 1d20+44
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+44 and gets 64." [1d20=20]
> roll 1d20+44 ow
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+44 ow and gets 50." [1d20=6]
> roll 1d20+39
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+39 and gets 57." [1d20=18]
> roll 1d20+39
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+39 and gets 47." [1d20=8]
> roll 1d20+44 melee touch
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+44 melee touch and gets 53." [1d20=9]
> roll 1d20+48 Hezrou arm
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+48 Hezrou arm and gets 59." [1d20=11]
> roll 1d20+48 Mechanus arm
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+48 Mechanus arm and gets 65." [1d20=17]
> roll 1d20+48 blade arm
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+48 blade arm and gets 67." [1d20=19]
> roll 1d20+48 blade arm crit?
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+48 blade arm crit? and gets 50." [1d20=2]
> roll 4d6+42+3d6+2d6+21+3d6+2d6+21+3d6+4d4+15+3d8+15+6d6+15-36 all lethal, DR/- factored in at the end
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 4d6+42+3d6+2d6+21+3d6+2d6+21+3d6+4d4+15+3d8+15+6d6+15-36 all lethal, DR/- factored in at the end and gets 173." [4d6=3, 5, 1, 2][3d6=4, 4, 1][2d6=1, 1][3d6=1, 2, 1][2d6=3, 2][3d6=1, 4, 6][4d4=3, 2, 4, 1][3d8=4, 6, 2][6d6=4, 1, 3, 5, 2, 1]
> OOC: 173+26 is the damage she's taken counting the AoO. Also needs to make Fort against disease.
> roll 1d20+35
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+35 and gets 45." [1d20=10]
> The scimitar slashes, landing three vicious blows through Hanna's guard! She's sliced open and bloodied, leaving her open for the ashen white arm! It touches her - but the death ward flares to life, the arm recoiling away! The blade, wing and hezrou's arm all slam into her, knocking Hanna back! She's wounded all over but still up, spitting out blood as she coughs out, "Support! I need support!" OOC: Muirfin.
* Muirfinn abandons his initial plans due to poor timing, lurching forward in earthen shape into Kina-ja's flank! OOC: Not charging. 15 foot reach removes the need.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+37
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+37 and gets 43." [1d20=6]
> Now the marilith's guard is up! Her hezrou arm comes around, catching Muirfin's fist in its own! It's strong, stronger than the might behind a balor's blade! Ellese merely smiles, looking on fondly at the demon as...
> roll 1d20+35
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+35 and gets 44." [1d20=9]
> roll 1d20+20
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+20 and gets 29." [1d20=9]
> A painful miasma surrounds Kina-ja - but it crumbles before her! For now Vivantha continues to sing as Hanna withdraws back safely! OOC: Withdraw action, she can't take another round of that abuse. Kina-ja's up.
> The demoness turns to Muirfinn, blade against earthen body as she strikes, "She'll turn on you too!" Kina-ja screams, going after the tortle!
> roll 1d20+49 (-5 CE) scimitar
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+49 (-5 CE) scimitar and gets 60." [1d20=11]
> roll 1d20+44 (-5 CE) scimitar
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+44 (-5 CE) scimitar and gets 46." [1d20=2]
> roll 1d20+39 (-5 CE) scimitar
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+39 (-5 CE) scimitar and gets 51." [1d20=12]
> roll 1d20+34 (-5 CE) scimitar
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+34 (-5 CE) scimitar and gets 40." [1d20=6]
> roll 1d20+40 vampire arm
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+40 vampire arm and gets 54." [1d20=14]
> roll 1d20+44 hezrou
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+44 hezrou and gets 63." [1d20=19]
> roll 1d20+44 mechanus
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+44 mechanus and gets 55." [1d20=11]
> OOC: -1 to all of those, miscounted.
> roll 1d20+43 blade
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+43 blade and gets 54." [1d20=11]
> roll 1d20+43 wing
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+43 wing and gets 55." [1d20=12]
> OOC: AC?
<Muirfinn> OOC: 66, touch 35
> roll 17d6 negative energy damage
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 17d6 negative energy damage and gets 54." [17d6=1, 2, 2, 5, 1, 4, 4, 3, 4, 5, 2, 5, 4, 1, 1, 4, 6]
<Muirfinn> OOC: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
> The two dance back and forth, a whirlwind of battle! It's like facing six opponents at once, each one skilled and craving your blood! The scimitar is sidestepped, the giant blade parried. A duck avoids the wingbash, but the vampire's grasp is too fast! It gets Muirfinn's hand, life-force directly sucked out! It leaves him feeling weaker, Kina-ja's wounds sealing! OOC: Go Muirfinn.
<Muirfinn> "That won't do." Muirfinn says, gem eyes narrowing.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+37
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+37
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+32
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+27
-> [Hatbot] PING
* Hatbot (~Hatbot@cpe-72-182-99-123.austin.res.rr.com) Quit (Ping timeout)
* Kobot (~dunefar@ip68-96-9-49.hr.hr.cox.net) has joined #dunes
> OOC: Roll.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+37
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+37
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+32
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+27
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+37 --> [ 1d20=14 ]{51}
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+37 --> [ 1d20=4 ]{41}
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+32 --> [ 1d20=10 ]{42}
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+27 --> [ 1d20=8 ]{35}
<Muirfinn> OOC: Ah jaysus
> It's no good. With her defenses up, it's like trying to shoot an arrow through an army without hitting a body. Her defenses are just too active, parrying all of Muirfinn's strikes! Meanwhile Ellese walks around the battle, standing behind Muirfinn. She reaches out and touches his back, abberant energy flowing into him! "Be stronger," she whispers as...OOC: Aberrate turns your type into aberration and grants you a +5 bonus to natural armor. See #elysium. Go ahead and describe what that does for your apperance.
> OOC: Vivantha's up.
* Muirfinn lets out an earthen groan as his back splits, fungal stalks rising in weird effigies of fruiting mushrooms, covered in unblinking, crystalline spinning eyes. The stone folds over itself, peeling from his back to form additional armor over his chest.
> "What?" Kina-ja seems momentarily off guard as Vivantha continues to sing. Then Hanna braces, "Muirfinn, get Ellese and Vivantha and cover them!" she calls! OOC: She's holding for something, she has an diea. Meanwhile Kina-ja is up.
> With ample confusion and sheer hatred, Kina-ja continues her assault on Muirfinn!
> roll 1d20+64 (+20 unstoppable, -10 PA)
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 1d20+64 (+20 unstoppable, -10 PA) --> [ 1d20=13 ]{77}
> roll 1d20+39 (-10 PA)
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 1d20+39 (-10 PA) --> [ 1d20=6 ]{45}
> roll 1d20+34 (-10 PA)
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 1d20+34 (-10 PA) --> [ 1d20=11 ]{45}
> roll 1d20+29 (-10 PA)
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 1d20+29 (-10 PA) --> [ 1d20=18 ]{47}
> roll 1d20+34 vampire arm
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 1d20+34 vampire arm --> [ 1d20=6 ]{40}
> roll 1d20+38 hezrou
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 1d20+38 hezrou --> [ 1d20=11 ]{49}
> roll 1d20+38 mechanus
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 1d20+38 mechanus --> [ 1d20=18 ]{56}
> roll 1d20+38 blade
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 1d20+38 blade --> [ 1d20=4 ]{42}
> roll 1d20+38 wing
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 1d20+38 wing --> [ 1d20=16 ]{54}
> OOC: AC?
<Muirfinn> OOC: 71, touch 35
> roll 2d6+31+3d6 and 1 negative level
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 2d6+31+3d6 and 1 negative level --> [ 2d6=7 3d6=12 ]{50}
> roll 17d6 vampiric draining
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 17d6 vampiric draining --> [ 17d6=72 ]{72}
> The demon's first slash is so mighty as to cleave through Muirfinn's guard! It can't be stopped, biting in deep! The rest are parried as pain and weakness war in him! The vampire arm sneaks in a touch as the earthen Muirfinn stumbles back, trying to dodge and parry the rest! OOC: Ow. Muirfinn.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+37-1
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+37-1
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+32-1
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+27-1
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+37-1 --> [ 1d20=3 ]{39}
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+37-1 --> [ 1d20=2 ]{38}
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+32-1 --> [ 1d20=9 ]{40}
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+27-1 --> [ 1d20=20 ]{46}
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+27-1 confirm lol?
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+27-1 confirm lol? --> [ 1d20=3 ]{29}
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 4d10+5+14+2d6 holy damage, plus 1 Con damage each hit. Counts as magic/good/bludgeoning/silver --> [ 4d10=29 2d6=9 ]{57}
> Back and forth the two titans of battle go! Muirfinn gets wounded upa gain as he slugs back and forth, but manages to smack the demoness in the face! It only dazes her a moment, but blood trickles out of her nose, glowing with the holy power of his strike! Ellese falls back into the doorway, as she calls out a tongue-twisting word of power! Black tentacles appear beneath Kina-ja ,grappling her!
> roll 1d20+28
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 1d20+28 --> [ 1d20=15 ]{43}
> They flail at the demon, but mostly bounce off her broken body! Nonetheless they seem to be mildly impedeing her movement! OOC: Vivantha's up, maintaining her spells. Hanna's up.
> "Triune damn it!" Hanna flies closer, before calling on words of power to knit broken bodies! Your wounds heal in a flash, restoring lost vigor! OOC: MAss heal, +200 HP healing.
<Muirfinn> "That doesn't sound good!" Muirfinn says, weaving amongst the marilith's flailing arms
<Muirfinn> .
> Smiling terribly, Kina-ja utters a single word of profound blasphemy that echos about! OOC: Will saves, y'all. -2 mod.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+36+4-1-2
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+36+4-1-2 --> [ 1d20=9 ]{46}
> roll 1d20+33 (+4 Hanna, -2 penalty) Vivnatha
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 1d20+33 (+4 Hanna, -2 penalty) Vivnatha --> [ 1d20=19 ]{52}
> OOC: Ellese is immune.
> roll 1d20+38 Hanna
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 1d20+38 Hanna --> [ 1d20=20 ]{58}
> But the word of blasphemy is resisted by all, withstood by pure will! OOC: Muirfinn.
* Muirfinn brings powerful earthen arms together around Kina-ja, attempting to pull her into a grapple!
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+34-1 CMB/CMD check
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+34-1 CMB/CMD check
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+34-1 CMB/CMD check --> [ 1d20=15 ]{48}
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+34-1 CMB/CMD check --> [ 1d20=19 ]{52}
<Muirfinn> OOC: Last one is -5
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+24-1 CMB/CMD check
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+24-1 CMB/CMD check --> [ 1d20=1 ]{24}
> Muirfinn and Kina-ja grapple back and forth! They wrestle but Muirfinn can't quite establish a hole! "Fuck!" Hanna bites off, "Vivantha, get in there! Now!" she calls, as Ellese retreats inside and out of sight! Vivantha breaks into a run, ceasing her song as she sprints inside!  Then, "Judge the wicked by the earth's rage!" Hanna lands, slamming her axe into the ground, "Bury the wicked!" The whole ground shakes, a powerful earthquake ripping through! There's several moments where all that happens is shaking, then a rumbling from above! The ceiling is collapsing - right toward the two heroes and marilith! (More)
> roll 30d6
<Kobot> Kotono rolled 30d6 --> [ 30d6=110 ]{110}
> Having countless tons of rock crush Muirfinn is a new sensations. His earth elemental form is uniquely suited to handling it and it's still painful as anything, squeeze-trapped in the ground. No sign of Kina-ja ahead - between the earthquake and collapse you lost sight of her. Of course, the only thing around was more falling rock...OOC: Act.
* Muirfinn makes a grumbling noise, attempting to heave himself free of the rock.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+14-1 strength check
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+14-1 strength check --> [ 1d20=2 ]{15}
<Muirfinn> OOC: oof
> No go on the first try. Too much rock, even for an earth elemental.
<Muirfinn> "Can't glide...noooooo that would be too convenient."
* Muirfinn braces himself and heaves again!
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+14-1 strength check
<Kobot> Muirfinn rolled 1d20+14-1 strength check --> [ 1d20=13 ]{26}
> This time the stone responds. With the power of earth he's able to clear some away and climb up. A few minutes of slow, steady upward progress happens until Muirfinn finds light! "Brave hero!" Vivantha's voice is heard from above.
<Muirfinn> "I'm alright. Where's the marilith?"
> "Buried," Vivantha says, looking down before backing up. "Thank goodness you're alive!"
> The lillend sniffles, face showing signs of tears.
* Muirfinn looks at her. "It'll take a great deal more than rocks to kill me, Vivantha. Besides. This is Ysgard. Somewhat." Muirfinn heaves a stone and tosses it aside. "That said, I doubt the demon is dead either. She will eventually make her way from here. I feel somewhat responsible for that." Muirifnn says as his form fades somewhat. His form shrinks, but is still rocky, covered in fungus and
* Muirfinn eyes. He looks at himself looking at himself looking at himself looking at himself before turning away. He raises his hands, green motes rising from the earth to suffuse him and his companions. "Shall we dig her out or leave her here?"
<Muirfinn> OOC: +4 to Strength, Contitution, & Dexterity
> Hanna's nearby, a look of relief on her face. "Sorry about that," she says, "But I wasn't confident about our chances if we played fair."
> Energy suffuses the party, Ellese hanging back a little bit. "That feels good," she adds, "What spell is it?"
* Muirfinn nods. "She was far quicker than expected, and that vampiric arm was vicious."
* Muirfinn nods to Ellese, "It is called Aura of Vitality. It fills you with the liveliness of nature for a time."
> "I-" Hanna begins, but suddenly the entire pile of rocks shudders - and starts to sink! You're on a rather large pile of rocks as you get out, ahead and below is the entrance to the chambers you sought.
* Muirfinn shifts forms again, riding the sinking pile down as a fellow rock! "She must have dug down! Let's get her!"
> "I see why she challenged a goddess," Hanna admits, "Even maimed her strength is fearsome." Hanna flies, slowly sinking down as the pile sinks! Down adn down it goes and you're falling! You fall as the heat rises, a red-gold cast overtaking everything! The rocks are floating in a sea of magma, the heat here tremendous! You're perhaps 15ft above the magma level and your fallen platform of stones is perhaps a 60ft in diameter hill. 30ft away and 10ft down is Kina-ja. Her body is torn and battered, her scimitar nowhere to be seen. Her wing-arm is grotesquely broken, hanging at a sharp angle with bone shards sticking out. She glares up with utter hatred, weakened but not out! OOC: There's heat damage each round at the start of your turn so be aware of it. Init here.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> roll 1d20+14 Vivantha
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+14 Vivantha and gets 17." [1d20=3]
> roll 1d20+9 Ellese (+2 Vivantha's aura)
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+9 Ellese (+2 Vivantha's aura) and gets 21." [1d20=12]
> roll 1d20+14 Hanna
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+14 Hanna and gets 16." [1d20=2]
> roll 1d20+13 Kina-ja
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+13 Kina-ja and gets 32." [1d20=19]
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+12
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+12 and gets 13." [1d20=1]
* Kotono changes topic to 'Kina-ja(32)>Ellese(21)>Vivantha(17)>Hanna(16)>MuirfinnMiko(13)'
> Kina-ja slowly slithers 10ft ahead and 5ft up, over the difficult and broken terrain! The heat of lava slams into all of you like a mace-blow, only your superhuman natures keeping you from bursting aflame. The demon's pain-filled face twists into a snarl, a wordless cry as suddenly...
> roll 1d20+35 vs Hanna's SRD
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+35 vs Hanna's SRD and gets 46." [1d20=11]
> roll 1d20+40 (+4 vs evil)
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+40 (+4 vs evil) and gets 52." [1d20=12]
> OOC: I'm sorry, no save. Wrong category.
> roll 1d20+42 vs 47
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+42 vs 47 and gets 61." [1d20=19]
> Suddenly Hanna is sent flying, tumbling end over end as if struck with tremendous force! She flips end over end before splashing down into the lava!
> roll 20d6-10 fire damage -10 is from resistance
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 20d6-10 fire damage -10 is from resistance and gets 71." [20d6=1, 3, 6, 4, 6, 6, 2, 5, 3, 4, 2, 6, 6, 3, 5, 2, 5, 5, 4, 3]
* Kotono changes topic to 'Kina-ja(32)>Ellese(21)>Vivantha(17)>Hanna(16 lava)>MuirfinnMiko(13)'
> A garbled scream emerges from the lava, Hanna sinking into the burning stone! OOC: Ow. Ellese.
> Ellese steps slightly back, stumbling for balance on the pile of rocks! She gestures a hand and utters a strange, symmetrical word of power! Suddenly a pea-green fog envelopes the marilith, sizzling and popping with acid! OOC: Acid Fog+5ft step, ending just before the party. Vivantha.
> "Hanna!" Vivantha calls, stepping back safely and taking to the air. She begins to sing of heroism and power, sonic energy and pure power surrounding the party! OOC: Sonic+5d6 on attacks and +4 dodge AC/save bonus to Muirfinn and Vivantha. Hanna's up.
> roll 20d6 Hanna ow
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 20d6 Hanna ow and gets 69." [20d6=1, 6, 3, 4, 3, 4, 2, 2, 6, 6, 2, 2, 6, 1, 4, 2, 3, 4, 2, 6]
> OOC: -10 to that.
> With a ripple, Hanna erupts out of the magma! Her axe is melting before your eyes, rills of cherry-red metal leaking like rain. Hanna's entire body is burnt red, charred black or simply burnt to the bone. Ruined wings nonetheless hold her aloft as she screams in Celestial, "LADY GWYNHARWYF!"
> roll 1d20+28 concentration
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+28 concentration and gets 30." [1d20=2]
> But ablaze and burning, Hanna's spell fizzles into energy! OOC: Go Muirfinn.
> roll 1d3 rounds of further 10d6 fire damage from lava
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d3 rounds of further 10d6 fire damage from lava and gets 1." [1d3=1]
* Kotono changes topic to 'Kina-ja(32)>Ellese(21)>Vivantha(17)>Hanna(16 lava 10d6 1)>MuirfinnMiko(13)'
<Muirfinn> OOC: What is the distance to the marilith?
> OOC: She's 20ft away and in the middle of some acid fog.
* Muirfinn raises his hand, bringing it down sharply as pitch black hail rains from the ceiling, quickly encircling the fog. OOC: Death hail. No SR! Fort 31 for half damage
<Muirfinn> roll 1d2
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d2 and gets 2." [1d2=2]
<Muirfinn> OOC: That's strength & con damage yo
> roll 1d20+29
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+29 and gets 30." [1d20=1]
* Kotono changes topic to 'Kina-ja(32 -2 str/con)>Ellese(21)>Vivantha(17)>Hanna(16 lava 10d6 1)>MuirfinnMiko(13)'
> Ice plunges into the acid fog, smoking as it vanishes into the depths! It does little to tame the heat coming from below, as the pile of rocks beneath you shudders, sinking deeper in! The platform is now only 50ft in diameter! Then...
> OOC: What's the CL on your spell?
> roll 1d20+20 vs acid fog
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+20 vs acid fog and gets 34." [1d20=14]
> roll 1d20+20 vs death hale
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+20 vs death hale and gets 38." [1d20=18]
<Muirfinn> OOC: 21
> The acid and hail vanish away with a soft pop, revealing Kina-ja! She slithers forward another 5ft, stumbling and coming to within 15ft Muirfin! "Not this time!" She snaps, a crazed leer coming over her face, "You'll be the ones given to the cats!" Her entire body writhes at this, like bubbles pressing against the surface of her skin from within! OOC: Ellese.
<Muirfinn> "We'll have to do it the old fashioned way then!" Muirfinn retorts.
> Ellese just stays where she is, "Acid of fog..." she breathes, as another set of acid fog appears over the marilith, once again cloaking her in corrosive vapors! "It hurts, doesn't it? The waking nightmares," she stares ahead into the fog, muttering to herself as the rocks beneath you continue to sink into the lava! OOC: Vivantha.
> Vivantha ceases her singing, going to grab Ellese and pull her up! "Brave hero, we're battling on borrowed time here!" OOC: 5 rounds on her buffs. Hanna's up.
> roll 10d6-10 fire damage to Hanna
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 10d6-10 fire damage to Hanna and gets 24." [10d6=6, 5, 3, 3, 2, 3, 6, 2, 1, 3]
> At this point, Hanna's gear and clothes are naught but ash burnt into her skin. She hardly seems to notice as...
> roll 1d20+31 (+2 aura)
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+31 (+2 aura) and gets 45." [1d20=14]
> A wave of healing magic overtakes the party! Hanna's body is restored, the burnt flesh knitting back to solidity! OOC: +200 hit points to all plus status curing if you have any negative statuses heal cures. Muirfinn.
* Muirfinn shifts into a fire elemental. "If you need to retreat, do so! Don't fear for me! This!" Punch. "Is!" Smash. "YSGARD!" Headbutt.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+37-1+2
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+32-1+2
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+27-1+2
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+37-1+2 and gets 43." [1d20=5]
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+37-1+2 and gets 53." [1d20=15]
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+32-1+2 and gets 48." [1d20=15]
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+27-1+2 and gets 32." [1d20=4]
> OOC: Going into the acid fog?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Good Grod.
<Muirfinn> OOC: 15 foiot reach
> OOC: Okay. d100 on each since she has concealment thanks to solid fog and true seeing explicity fails against fog. Says so in it.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d100 and gets 61." [1d100=61]
<Muirfinn> roll 1d100
<Muirfinn> roll 1d100
<Muirfinn> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d100 and gets 100." [1d100=100]
<Muirfinn> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d100 and gets 71." [1d100=71]
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d100 and gets 81." [1d100=81]
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d100 and gets 64." [1d100=64]
> OOC: Two hits.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Ignore extra one
<Muirfinn> roll 4d10+5+14+2d6+5d6+2-1 holy damage + sonic damage, plus 1 Con damage each hit. Counts as magic/good/bludgeoning/silver
<Muirfinn> roll 4d10+5+14+2d6+5d6+2-1 holy damage + sonic damage, plus 1 Con damage each hit. Counts as magic/good/bludgeoning/silver
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 4d10+5+14+2d6+5d6+2-1 holy damage + sonic damage, plus 1 Con damage each hit. Counts as magic/good/bludgeoning/silver and gets 74." [4d10=5, 4, 9, 3][2d6=5, 6][5d6=5, 5, 6, 1, 5]
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 4d10+5+14+2d6+5d6+2-1 holy damage + sonic damage, plus 1 Con damage each hit. Counts as magic/good/bludgeoning/silver and gets 60." [4d10=5, 6, 4, 5][2d6=2, 1][5d6=5, 5, 4, 1, 2]
> OOC: Any acid res?
<Muirfinn> OOC: NOPE
> roll 2d6 acid from going into das fog
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 2d6 acid from going into das fog and gets 5." [2d6=2, 3]
> Muirfinn's fiery limb is minorly quenched by the acid vapors as he slams and slams! He manages to catch the marilith on the side, slamming her hard! Meanwhile the rocks sink again, now your platform only 40ft in diameter! The lava's right behind Kina-ja! Then...
> roll 1d20+20
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+20 and gets 29." [1d20=9]
> But nothing happens! The demon slithers forward 5ft...OOC: This provokes an AoO if you don't mind another acid-bath on your arm.
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+37-1+2 and gets 40." [1d20=2]
<Muirfinn> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d100 and gets 25." [1d100=25]
> But Muirfinn's slam is lost the fog! Meanwhile Ellese and Vivantha hold back (4 rounds on her buffs) while Hanna flies to Muirfinn's side! Waves of pure exhaustion flow out from her, basking over Kina-ja!
> roll 1d20+20
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+20 and gets 23." [1d20=3]
> But nothing happens! From the fog you hear, "Not this time!" A defiant cry as..OOC: Muirfinn, go.
* Muirfinn peers into the fog, laying into the marilith! OOC: We both forgot about True Seeing.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+32-1+2
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+27-1+2
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+37-1+2 and gets 48." [1d20=10]
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+37-1+2 and gets 44." [1d20=6]
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+32-1+2 and gets 49." [1d20=16]
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+27-1+2 and gets 32." [1d20=4]
> > OOC: Okay. d100 on each since she has concealment thanks to solid fog and true seeing explicity fails against fog. Says so in it.
<Muirfinn> OOC:  Blah
<Muirfinn> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d100 and gets 91." [1d100=91]
<Muirfinn> roll 1d100
<Muirfinn> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d100 and gets 87." [1d100=87]
<Muirfinn> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d100 and gets 70." [1d100=70]
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d100 and gets 28." [1d100=28]
> OOC: Two htis.
> OOC: Damage?
<Muirfinn> roll 4d10+5+14+2d6+5d6-1+2 holy damage + sonic damage, plus 1 Con damage each hit. Counts as magic/good/bludgeoning/silver
<Muirfinn> roll 4d10+5+14+2d6+5d6-1+2 holy damage + sonic damage, plus 1 Con damage each hit. Counts as magic/good/bludgeoning/silver
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 4d10+5+14+2d6+5d6-1+2 holy damage + sonic damage, plus 1 Con damage each hit. Counts as magic/good/bludgeoning/silver and gets 65." [4d10=8, 3, 2, 7][2d6=2, 6][5d6=4, 4, 5, 2, 2]
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 4d10+5+14+2d6+5d6-1+2 holy damage + sonic damage, plus 1 Con damage each hit. Counts as magic/good/bludgeoning/silver and gets 82." [4d10=10, 1, 9, 10][2d6=6, 5][5d6=3, 6, 6, 3, 3]
> Muirfinn strikes into the fog! The marilith stumbles back, as again more stones sink down! It's only 30ft in diameter now, Kina-ja at the very bleeding edge! Her broken tail dangles an inch above magma as she screams! A scream of pure, unearthly annoyance. "No...no..nonononononononono! Why can't I make my vision a reality?! Why do you still dog me, Sharess?!" Her voice becomes little more than an animal's baying, as abruptly she pulls a piercing from her body. There is a sick, meaty sound. All around Kina-ja reality itself is cut! For a moment blue arcane fire gushes from things, before a massive burst rocks everything here! OOC: Reflex saves, y'all.
> roll 1d20+37 Vivantha (also counts as Ellese's sinces he's in no position to dodge)
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+37 Vivantha (also counts as Ellese's sinces he's in no position to dodge) and gets 50." [1d20=13]
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+30-1
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+30-1 and gets 35." [1d20=6]
<Muirfinn> OOC: Evasion
> roll 1d20+33 Hanna
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+33 Hanna  and gets 40." [1d20=7]
> OOC: Evasion isn't relevant here.
> A scream. A scream not in Kina-ja's voice, but in a genderless voice. It's a pure expression of pain that competes with the marilith's howl. Before you is a black gash, Kina-ja and several rocks falling into it! OOC: K:P here real quick, y'all.
> roll 1d20+29 Hanna
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+29 Hanna and gets 41." [1d20=12]
> roll 1d20+28 Ellese
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+28 Ellese and gets 46." [1d20=18]
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+22
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+22 and gets 34." [1d20=12]
> This is not good. Kina-ja somehow cut directly into the fabric of Ysgard, slicing out a hole. It opened a psudeo-portal to...somewhere. From the looks of it nowhere good at all. This will be a bleeding wound that will not heal and could destabilize this area of Ysgard if not reversed. You're also at risk of being sucked into it, wheverever it goes, though a bit of a retreat should take you out of range. Whatever she did is fearsomely potent magic, almost certainly beyond the nine mortal circles. OOC: Free act for the moment, since Kina-ja bailed.
* Muirfinn reverts to his natural form, blasting at the rip with a dispelling spell! OOC: GDM
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+20
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+20 and gets 22." [1d20=2]
<Muirfinn> OOC: FUCK
> The dispel magic seems to do nothing, as Ellese calls, "Back! Back!" Her voice is high-pitched, "Nightmares are there!" She lapses into screaming, Vivantha frantically flapping back. Lava is sucked in, the orange glow it provides fading as it comes closer to the darkness. Hanna flies back as well for the moment, pointing at it as a thin green line comes from her finger towards the portal!
> roll 1d20 touch AC first of all
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20 touch AC first of all and gets 11." [1d20=11]
> roll 1d20+20
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+20 and gets 31." [1d20=11]
> The beam hits the portal but nothing happens! Meanwhile the rocks below Muirfinn sink deeper, only 20ft of them left! He's right by the edge of the lava now, close to taking a bath in the burning liquid! Meanwhile the portal continues to pull! OOC: Ref, Muirfin.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+28-1
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+28-1 and gets 35." [1d20=8]
> Muirfin holds his balance, resisting the pull! "Muirfinn, get away from that!" Hanna calls, "You don't want to go where that goes!"
> OOC: Act.
* Muirfinn quickly steps back and away, moving back to Hanna and beyond. "An excellent point." OOC: Moving 300 feet away.
> OOC: Can you fly in your natural form?
> OOC: Since, y'know, in a collapsing and sinking pile of rocks in the middle of a lava sea right now.
<Muirfinn> OOC: I can be a gold dragon!
> OOC: By all means be so.
> OOC: Just do so IC real quick.
* Muirfinn shifts into the form of a gold dragon, wings flapping to take him away from the rent in reality.
> The party falls well back of the rip. Hanna covers her bosom with her folded arms, looking piqued more than anything else. It lapses into a sigh, "My options are limited with everything I brought with me lost to that lava," she says tiredly, "If you have spare clothing on you, I'd be grateful."
> Vivantha flies over and gives Hanna cover, "What was that? I thought you couldn't make portals here."
* Muirfinn shrugs, peering at the non-portal. "I have no idea."
> "It's a tear in Ysgard. That's horrible magic," Hanna says, staring ahead at it. "I'm afraid we may not be able to seal it ourselves as it stands. Muirfinn, did you bring a bag of holding with you? If not, we need to retreat to Aurora and come back prepared. If not, falling back may be best anyway so we can return and fix this with the proper tools and people."
<Muirfinn> "I have my pack. It's similar to a bag of holding."
<Muirfinn> "But not as good."
> "Let's at least fly back up?" Hanna says, "In case that rip expands and blocks us down here." She sighs again, "That spear and plate we picked up were in my bag of holding. They weren't destroyed with the bag, but they're floating somewhere in the Astral along with everything else in it. Retreiving them might be possible with the right divinations, but it's also not the most pressing matter."
> "Please," Vivantha adds, shifting Ellese in her arms, "Holding up someone and flying this long is a strain."
<Muirfinn> "I can carry her." Muirfinn points out.
> Ellese is quickly deposited on Muirfinn's draconic back. "Thank you, brave hero," Vivantha momentarily smiles, darting back to provide Hanna cover.
> "Don't bother," Hanna pats Vivantha on her shoulder, "There's more important things to do than my modesty. I can try another dimensional anchor, but I'm not hopeful after the first one didn't achieve anything. I can't manage to call on Lady Gwynharwyf's direct intervention right now, either."
> Ellese crawls to Muirfinn's neck, leaning forward to be close to his ear. She whispers, "The nightmares are in there. The ones you don't remember but wake up screaming from. The ones you can't remember because it makes you realize that everything's ad ream and I'm still chained up and waiting for Master like a good dog," Her breath quickens, "Do something so I won't wake up, please!"
* Muirfinn narrows his eyes. "Relax, Ellese. You're already awake. But whether that's a portal to the plane of nightmares of a gate to the far realm, it still needs to be closed. Go ahead and try again, Hanna."
> Hanna flies closer, still staying back. She concentrates and points to it, a green ray coming forth!
> roll 1d20 touch AC again
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20 touch AC again and gets 16." [1d20=16]
> roll 1d20+20
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+20 and gets 31." [1d20=11]
> But again nothing happens. Hanna quickly retreats back, "Nothing," she repeats, "Id on't think a dimensional anchor is strong enough. Perhaps a dimensional lock might help, otherwise I'd look into a wish spell or a miracle."
> This draws a whimper from Ellese, hugging Muirfinn's neck.
> "If it was the Far Realm, we'd have company." Hanna says with a hint of steel in her voice, "Trust me on that."
* Muirfinn grumbles. "We'll have to come back then. I;m not prepared for this."
> OOC: Going to fall back then?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Looks like it. Alas, cheating wench.
> OOC: Do you have anything poor Hanna can wear?
<Muirfinn> OOC: She can have my robe when I'm not Trogdor anymore.
> OOC: Okay. More.
> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 37." [1d100=37]
> roll 1d100
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d100 and gets 84." [1d100=84]
> The trip back up is mercifully boring. With the opposition already cleared yo ureach your entry point with just a long walk back. The party's subdued. Hanna's lost in her own thoughts, a scowl on her face more often than not. Ellese is quiet, keeping near Vivantha, who murmurs soothing words to her. As you reach the point, "The question is," Hanna speaks up, "Who's best suited to closing this sort of rip?"
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

<Muirfinn> "Well, that is the question, isn't it? Moreover, HOW is a better question. Let's ask our resident arcane experts."
> "That'll do," Hanna agrees as the other two stay quiet, "Nothing seemed to be coming out of it. Truth be told, I'm not sure if that's good or bad."
<Muirfinn> "LEt's chalk it up as good and hope it stays that way until we get back.
<Muirfinn> "
> From there, a simple Gate spell back brings the party from deep in Nidavellr to Air. Vivantha gently detaches from the party, wanting to go help Ellese for a bit. This leaves Hanna and Muirfinn to track down the experts. You find two of them in the library. Elder Magi Tepen and Sylvie are sitting opposite each other, a table full of papers and books between them. As you approach you can hear, "...megafauna or not," Sylvie shakes her head, arms crossed beneath her chest. "Besides, routinely culling megafauna has undisputable benefits in materials. Those who participate in the cullings gain directly useful training in relating to the elimination of megafauna, creating another valuable resource. The work they do would have to be well compensated, further adding to the wealthy classes and spurring along economic development." Meanwhile, a little bit away, Dana lies slumped in a chair. A book covers her face but doesn't quite drown out her light snores.
> "That's the problem," Elder Magi Tepen waggles a finger, "How many are lost from the recurring struggles against the megafauna? What happens when mistakes are made? The price in life isn't worth the benefits. Elimination of megafauna is preferable when possible. Not only are there less deaths, but there is greater stability without giant creatures rampaging about the countryside."
<Muirfinn> "Unless you can turn them to your side." Muirfinn helpfully interjects.
> "That's out of bounds," Sylvie interjects, "We're arguing in theory."
* Muirfinn shrugs. "We have a practical question for you."
> "Muirfinn, I heard you lead another group out today," Elder Magi Tepen speaks up at this, "Was it successful?"
> "By all means," Sylvie sits back, "You already interrupted us anyway, though I don't think either of us was going to win that one."
<Muirfinn> "We were fighting Kina-ja, a marilith of legend, earlier today. Instead of dying like any sensible being, she ripped a hole into...somewhere. I'm unsure where. Some great dark beyond. We were unable to close the rift."
> "Arguments over acceptable losses and deaths are seldom conclusive," Tepen concludes with a faint smile, "Since ultimately you get bogged down in arguing over what acceptable losses are and all the permutations relating to it. Go on." After that he listens, "Tell us more about it."
> "That's the one from one of the Lost Lore of the Abyss tomes," Sylvie perks up, "She went after Sharess and got the bad end of it?"
> "That's the one," Hanna slowly rubs her temples, "I hate to say it, but the legends are accurate. She's a damned powerful warrior. I'd hate to see her at her full health instead of looking like a mishmash of fleshcraft."
<Muirfinn> "I should say so. She looks like she'd been lost a vicious fight with a meat grinder, and quite mad to boot. " Muirfinn says to Sylvie. To Tepen, "Well, Beyond its attempts to pull us in at range, there's not much to tell. None of us were willing to get close to it."
> roll 1d20+35 Tepen
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+35 Tepen and gets 38." [1d20=3]
> roll 1d20+72 Sylvie (+20 cunning knowledge)
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+72 Sylvie (+20 cunning knowledge) and gets 89." [1d20=17]
> A low whistle comes from Sylvie, "That rings a bell. Was the area dimensionalled sealed, anchored and otherwise opaque to teleportation magic?"
<Muirfinn> "Indeed."
> "This will take some background," Sylvie says, "You know how teleportation works? In short, you touch the Astral and use it to instantaneous move to another location." Gesturing in the air, as if creating diagrams unseen, "The art of teleportation is rather uncertain unless you throw enough power at it to prevent any chance of failure. It's why plane shift and teleport are imprecise and prone to mishaps. Now it's said every once in a million that something goes catastrophically wrong with a teleport. You don't just end up off target, you end up somehow passing into somewhere wholly different. Lore on it is extremely sketchy but from my own experiences, I'm fairly certain it's the Far Realm. In essence, your teleport went so wrong that you slipped out of Creation altogether." Pausing to clear her throat, "Pardon. I've heard that a few mad wizards," Here she stops and shrugs, "Mad wizards can mean anything from just that to insane demons to devoted cultists, but I digress. Do you follow me so far?"
<Muirfinn> Frowning, Muirfinn nods. "I am."
> "I am," Hanna confirms, while Tepen nods.
> "The point is that someone took that and got inspired. They found a way to replicate that punching without even touching the Astral. Don't ask me how. I'd need to see the spell to even begin to guess, since it violates several rules of dimensional travel. The spell causes a localized event identical to that failed mishap. It's extremely traumatic to where ever you cast it and causes a rift. I presume that it's more controlled that just opening up a quick portal to the Far Realm and has some measure of control. Since it doesn't rely on traditional teleportation mechanics, it bypasses most forms of dimensional lockdown. It's a good escape tactic from what I understand. All this assumes the spell exists, since you can never be sure with lore, but this might be confirmation of it."
<Muirfinn> "Well, if she's in the Far Realm, I'm fine with leaving her there. We just need to close the portal."
> "If she has, the natives likely finished with her already," Sylvie shrugs, "I'd be more concerned about one opening. Opening a portal to the Far Realm on an Outer Plane gets the attention of every deity on it. The nature of the Far Realm is inherently incompatible with Creation and causes effects that are impossible to ignore. Logic and everything we understand breaks down before it."
* Muirfinn nods. "We can likely expect Ysgardian company when we return then."
> A full shudder passes through Sylvie, stopping her for a few seconds before she continues, "I'd like to go see it. The last time I went to the Far Realm, I ended up temporarily seeing time in a non-linear fashion. I'd rather try and stop it than risk it happening to someone else."
> "As would I," Elder Magi Tepen speaks up, "Sage Vul'lath as well. The three of us together should be sufficient if it can be closed within the nine circles."
* Muirfinn nods. "Prepare accordingly, we'll leave tomorrow. We need to recover."
> "Good luck," Hanna says, "I'm going to go see about getting some divinations done. I might be able to salvage my bag's contents if I'm lucky."
> OOC: Ready to skip along now?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Yessir!
> The night passes without interruption. The next morning Muirfinn finds the trio awaiting him. They're chatting amid themselves, breaking it off as Muirfinn meets up with them. "Oh," Elder Magi Tepen greets you, "Good morning. Hanna passed by recently and wanted to let you know she had some success with her divination efforts. She's going with Balyss and Ithea to attempt to salvage her things."
* Muirfinn nods. "Hopefully she can get everything back. Shall we go then?" OOC: Assuming
<Muirfinn> OOC: Gah
<Muirfinn> OOC: Assuming Vivantha and Ellese are still doing their thing?
> OOC: Yes.
> OOC: Going to open a Gate+travel back?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Yes please
> The trip back is without incident. You go past the halls and the springs, getting a fair few looks from Sylvie and Tepen. The former speaks up as you hop past a small hot spring, "There's a beauty to this all," she says, "It's quite exotic."
> Sage Vul'lath keeps his peace, focusing on maintaning a good pace instead of chattering.
> "I'm not partial to caverns, but this does manage to be alluring," Elder Magi Tepen agrees, glancing over to Muirfinn, "How does it strike you?"
<Muirfinn> "Oh yes. The natural beauty of it was not lost on us. Unfortunately, we had a few run ins with," Muirifnn pulls a solid adamantine spear from his quiver. "these, a bone monstrosity, a completely expected horde of Ysgardian warriors, and the marilith."
> "Troublesome," Sylvie murmurs, hopping over another spring, turning to walk backwards and chat as you go on. The conversation meanders along with your path, the forest offering no resistance this time. You soon come to the previous battleground, a hole in the floor where the collapse from above plummeted. It's rocky going to go over it and there's a gaping hole in the ceiling.
<Muirfinn> "Please allow me to go first. If there is still lave, I may be able to deal with it."
> "Of course," Sage Vul'lath says, "But we have means of flight prepared as a matter of course."
* Muirfinn nods, heading in as his form elongates into that of a wrymling gold dragon.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Still medium sized!
<Muirfinn> OOC: They're fuckin big.
> Muirfinn goes down. The rip is still down there, the heat from the lava below slamming into him. Oh yes, there's still a huge sea of lava below. That hasn't magically vanished or anything. The bottom of the portal dips into the lava, but a crust of semi-solid stone has formed around it.
* Muirfinn peers about, looking for anything that may heve decided to journey through.
> OOC: Spot.
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+46
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+46 and gets 65." [1d20=19]
> Nothing awry is about. Just the bubbles and burbles of the lava sea below you.
<Muirfinn> OOC: Assuming True Seeing reveals nothing.
> OOC: Yes.
* Muirfinn waves the other three down, shouting, "Looks good!"
> The three come down on the wings of magic, "That's it?" Elder Magi Tepen asks. The trio stays back and away from the suction, "Do mind if we take a look?"
<Muirfinn> "Just do not get to oclose."
> Sage Vul'lath squints and puts a hand over his eyes, "No color," he murmurs, "It's not a black color pool, it's a lack of color altogether."
<Muirfinn> OOC: Blah, close
> "I think so too," Sylvie banters back, staying away but studying it from afar. She mutters a few arcane words and traces patterns in the air, her eyes glowing blue once she's done. Vul'lath and Tepen follow suit, the latter the first one to speak. "Do you notice that?" Tepen frowns as he squints to peer ahead, "The immutability?"
> "Yes," Sage Vul'lath nods ever so slightly, "It's not undergoing entropic degredation, or is going on such a small scale that it's inperceptable."
> "Theory time, but if it's a violation of the rules, perhaps it doesn't naturally heal because it can't? The plane can't heal the wound because it's outside of what it can process?" Sylvie hmms to herself, "Maybe?"
> "I don't think so," Tepen glances at Sylvie, "Planes naturally re-assert what they are to themselves. It takes a lot to change that, such as divine will."
<Muirfinn> "While powerful, I doubt Kina-ja was divine."
> "Agreed," Sage Vul'lath rumbles low in his chest, before frowning with a sour look. "It could be that this manner of rift is simply anti-entropic, has been buoyed with permanency magic or otherwise enhanced. I don't think it's immediatly relevant to solving it."
> Sylvie sighs, "Unfortunately. I was hoping ot get more, but studying it is like studying a blank slate. There's just not much there. I'm fairly confident nothing could come through, it looks one way. Past that?" The blonde shrugs her shoulders. "We'll run a gamut of dimensional magic, a wish and even 21 if you want."
* Muirfinn nods. "If it changes, I'll do my best to keep anything that manages to claw its way through away from you."
> "We'll start with a dimensional lock," Elder Magi Tepen cracks his knuckles, "I doubt it will work with what we know, but it's a good place to start." With this, Sage Vul'lath casts! "Ten of salt and seven of iron, offered to the circle of the eighth! Bar the open path to the towers of paradise!" Elder Magi Tepen chants, as inter-locked magic circles appear benath the tear! A shimmering green sphere surrounds it...
> roll 1d20+20
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+20 and gets 32." [1d20=12]
> But nothing happens! The green sphere fizzles out. "As I expected," Elder Magi Tepen says, "I'll try a Wish next. Muirfinn, would you be beneath me in case I fall?"
> "You know," Sylvie glances at Elder Magi Tepen, "Where did you learn that particular chant?"
> "It's the one common on Lifasa," He remarks, "The eighth circle of magic, not Baator. I've come to finely appreciate the ease it could be mistaken for otherwise, considering the second verse of the chant."
* Muirfinn nods along. "I've heard similar chants from back then."
> After a small nod to Muirfinn, "Now," Elder Magi Tepen bows his head, beginning to whisper. What he chants is unheard, but a magic circle appears above and beneath him! They interlink with strands of silver energy, whirling all around the archmage! Suddenly he raises his voice, "Now close!" he bellows!
> roll 1d20+20
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+20 and gets 32." [1d20=12]
> But nothing happens! The green sphere fizzles out. "As I expected," Elder Magi Tepen says, "I'll try a Wish next. Muirfinn, would you be beneath me in case I fall?"
> "You know," Sylvie glances at Elder Magi Tepen, "Where did you learn that particular chant?"
> "It's the one common on Lifasa," He remarks, "The eighth circle of magic, not Baator. I've come to finely appreciate the ease it could be mistaken for otherwise, considering the second verse of the chant."
* Muirfinn nods along. "I've heard similar chants from back then."
> After a small nod to Muirfinn, "Now," Elder Magi Tepen bows his head, beginning to whisper. What he chants is unheard, but a magic circle appears above and beneath him! They interlink with strands of silver energy, whirling all around the archmage! Suddenly he raises his voice, "Now close!" he bellows!
> roll 1d20+20
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+20 and gets 39." [1d20=19]
> There is a hideous tearing sound from the rift! Bleeding purple lines appear all over it, throbbing like infected boils! They bulge out further and further, before the portal tears itself apart! It shatters into black essence, dissolving when it hits the lava below!
* Muirfinn shifts beneath the lava, making sure it's gone.
> Going into the lava, your draconic body unburnt by even the hottest touch, you can detect no traces of it.
> "It worked," Sage Vul'lath says, "Interesting. I had not expected it to so easily."
* Muirfinn surfaces. "Looks like it's gone!"
> "Good. Now isn't there a treasure hoard nearby," Sylvie stretches and rights herself in the air, "From what I heard, isn't what's ahead the entire point of your efforts lately?"
<Muirfinn> "Indeed it is. Hanna had her bag of holding, which was supposed to assist us in the transport of our find. Let's go see it anyway."
> "I have one," Sylvie pipes up, "It'll do." Going up, you go to where Kina-ja was before. Inside is more black basalt, veined with golden pyrite. The far wall has a large, circular door set into it, deeply carved into. It looks like something tried to bash and slice nito it, but to no avail.
> "Must be more to it," Sylvie pipes up, "Some sort of seal if she went to that much trouble to bash through?"
<Muirfinn> "Well thankfully she wasn't able to get in." Muirfinn says, picking at the marks with a golden claw.
> They're rather big. From the looks of it, her scimitar did some of them. When you get close enough to look closely, you can see an intact keyhole in the center.
<Muirfinn> "Oh, here we are. A keyhole. Well. I lack a key." Muirfinn grumbles.
> "You...don't have a key." Sage Vul'lath says, staring at Muirfinn, before gently facepalming with one hand. "You came all this way and didn't bring a key."
> "Do you have any  magic to work earth or stone?" Elder Magi Tepen ignores that in the meanwhile, "It may work. The stone wasn't warded to be indestructable at least."
<Muirfinn> "Now Vul'lath, that would have made things FAR too easy." Muirfinn responds with a draconic grin. He nods at Tepen, shifting back. "Now that you mention it, yes. Allow me a moment." Muirfinn chants, holding the Leaf of Yggdrasil aloft and crushing a stone in his hand. With that, the earth rises up around him, encircling his legs in an unrestricting embrace. He points at the stone. "You shall be
<Muirfinn> as mud!" OOC: Undermaster. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
> OOC: Stone to mud?
<Muirfinn> OOC Xmute Rock to Mud
> The wall before you becomes mud! For a moment it maintains its shape, before tumbling down in a tsunami of mud at the party! OOC: Ref saves, y'all. It's a mudslide!
> roll 1d20+18 Tepen
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+18 Tepen and gets 24." [1d20=6]
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+30 lawl
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+30 lawl and gets 45." [1d20=15]
> roll 1d20+41 (+14 cunning insight) Sylvie evasion
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+41 (+14 cunning insight) Sylvie evasion and gets 57." [1d20=16]
> roll 1d20+17 Vul'lath
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+17 Vul'lath and gets 23." [1d20=6]
> OOC: Evasion, Muirfinn?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Yep
> Muirfinn is fast, shifting into his baby dragon form and doging UP! Sylvie leaps up and hangs from his neck, avoiding the mudflow with him! The two gentlemen are not so fast, swept back by a tide of mud! They're taken out to the door but not past it, drenched in mud and flat on their backs!
> OOC: Gah.
> Muirfinn is fast, shifting into his baby dragon form and doging UP! Sylvie leaps up and hangs from his neck, avoiding the mudflow with him! The two gentlemen are not so fast, swept back by a tide of mud! They're taken out to the door but not past it, drenched in mud and flat on their backs! Beyond the wall of mud you see a gap followed by a narrow hall, leading to a lit room. It's well lit and you can see a metal figure standing within.
* Muirfinn gently pulls the men from the mud after he touches back down. "Everyone alright?"
> Elder Magi Tepen mouths simple arcane words, the mud around himself and then Vul'lath vanishing away. Said Sage stands and dusts himself off, "Let us not speak of this again." he says.
* Muirfinn snorts.
> Dropping off as Muirfinn descends, Sylvie follows along. "Sorry," she says, "Didn't react fast enough to get anyone else out of the way."
<Muirfinn> "And I didn't think that it would happen so fast. My apologies."
> "Let's go on," Sylvie suggests, "We're probably almost there."
* Muirfinn walks in, talons clicking on the stone.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

> You head into the next room, your allies close behind. The next room is rather like the last, only fairly smaller. The back wall is another set door, but standing before it is a man of metal. It waits without moving and speaks once the party has entered the room. "What lies absolute and will never break?" It asks, a toneless, dry voice coming from the creature.
<Muirfinn> "Hmmm..." Muirfinn turns to confer lowly with the others. "The fitst thing that comes to mind is 'the truth.' What do you think?"
> "It sounds good," Sylvie says, "Though riddles are always a bit of a guessing game."
> Sage Vul'lath frowns, "Let us be on guard in case failure is harshly punished."
* Muirfinn turns to the figure. "The truth!"
> There is no immediate reply. For a few moments there is silence before the golem speaks again, "You may pass. No harm will come to you," The golem steps aside, the door ahead creaking ajar.
> Sylvie whispers low, "He's lying," she adds quickly.
> "Hmph," Sage Vul'lath mutters that but nothing else, staring ahead for the moment.
* Muirfinn glances at Sylvie. "Golems can lie?"
> "Apparently." Sylvie retorts quickly, "It's probably just acting off a command older than we are."
> Elder Magi Tepen nods to the golem, keeping his voice low, "Be that as it may, we still have to deal with the current problem."
<Muirfinn> "Golem! Will you attempt to harm us if we attempt to pass through that door?"
> There is no reply to that question.
<Muirfinn> "Well, let's find out." Muirfinn says, skirting warily around the golem.
> OOC: Advancing ahead?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Attempting to!
> The party advances on! The door opens to a long hall with another circular door set into the wall on the other side. Yet once the party gets in, the door behind you slams shut!
> "Expected," Sylvie wrinkles her nose, dropping into a tense battle stance, fists at the ready. "So now what?" she quickly glances around.
> "Trouble," Sage Vul'lath intones, "Doubtless some inferior attempt to send us to our deaths."
* Muirfinn looks around. "I am curious as to what they will send against us now."
> OOC: You have true seeing, right?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Yessir!
> Muirfinn can see invisible gasses seeping from the walls, rapidly spreading out the entire chamber.
<Muirfinn> "We're being gassed." Muirfinn says. Don't know what it is, but it's coming from the walls. Ideas?"
<Muirfinn> "We're being gassed." Muirfinn says. "Don't know what it is, but it's coming from the walls. Ideas?"
> "Gas!" Sylvie cries, "I see it too."
> "Can you open the door ahead or behind us?" Elder Magi Tepen asks quickly.
<Muirfinn> "I can certainly try!" Muirfinn says, shifting back and brandishing a wand! OOC: Crumble!
<Muirfinn> roll 10d8 damage to that wall go
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 10d8 damage to that wall go and gets 44." [10d8=5, 3, 4, 2, 2, 7, 3, 4, 6, 8]
> The door the way you came and the wall around it crumble into hunks of stone! Fresh air races in, even as the gas begins to effect the party! OOC: Fort saves, y'all. +4 bonus since it's being diluted even as you save.
> OOC: This is a poison effect.
> roll 1d20+35 Sylvie
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+35 Sylvie and gets 40." [1d20=5]
<Muirfinn> OOC: Immune!
> OOC: +4 to hers.
> roll 1d20+19 Tepen
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+19 Tepen and gets 30." [1d20=11]
> roll 1d20+19 Vul'lath
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+19 Vul'lath and gets 36." [1d20=17]
> OOC: And Tepen's immune to ability damage/drain anyway.
> The party resists the gas as it tapers off. It soon disperses out, around the golem who watches impassively.
* Muirfinn points the wand at the inward wall as well!
> After a few coughs, "Damn," Sylvie waves a hand in front of her face, "I don't even smell anything, do you? Scentless, invisible gas? Sneaky."
> Sage Vul'lath looks untroubled, "A fair gambit," he agrees, "One I will make my own, I think. Knockout gas is highly underrated."
<Muirfinn> roll 10d8 MOAR WALLZ
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 10d8 MOAR WALLZ and gets 41." [10d8=6, 8, 1, 8, 2, 2, 1, 3, 4, 6]
> OOC: Same wall or the one ahead?
<Muirfinn> OOC: One ahead
> The wall ahead crumbles! Ahead you can see it - the glitter of gold! A vast chamber is ahead! Sitting in the center is a four post bed, grand and with gauzy curtains hanging from it. On it and all around are piles of coins. A set of armor rests against one wall, while boxes and chests are all over. A string of pearls sits atop one chest, catching Muirfinn's eye. There's a section with several paintings and tapestries hanging, and in one corner is a pile of weapons. Treasures of all types just sit ahead, awaiting!
<Muirfinn> "Ah." Muirifnn places his wand away. "There we are."
> "Finally," Sylvie says, "Congratulations." Ahead you can see so much, an entire vast chamber of treasure! OOC: Loot post.
> "Quite a hoard," Elder Magi Tepen slowly walks to the treasure room but not in. "Mm, Baleruk sent you to fetch this, as I recall?"
<Muirfinn> "Oh yes. He did." Muirfinn says, stepping into the chamber. "I imagine he
<Muirfinn> OOC: Fuck
<Muirfinn> "Oh yes. He did." Muirfinn says, stepping into the chamber. "I imagine he'll be pleased to see all of this. Granted, he didn't precisely say WHAT he wanted out of it all."
> "He's a dragon. I imagine he wants all of it. That's what dragons do," Sylvie advances in after Muirfinn steps in. She veers towards a stack of books, "It would be a shame to let these go unread and tossed in his hoard, though," she murmurs, taking the top one and glancing at the cover.
> Sage Vul'lath goes about, settling in before a small stack of...cheese wheels? He kneels before one and sniffs, "Hm." Shaking his head, he meanders over to the paintings and takes a look.
> Elder Magi Tepen goes and picks up a silver ankh necklace, holding it to examine, "This strikes me as no more as the shiny and valuable things from a lifetime of hoarding," he remarks.
> "Dragons," Sylvie puts the book down, "It's in some archaic language I don't know," she announces, "It looks like some warped variant of Common, so it's likely from one of the mortal worlds."
> Going to sit on the bed, Elder Magi Tepen speaks. No sound happens - which causes him to frown, pushing aside the curtains and then saying, "I think there's sorcery about this bed. That aside, I've seen several local flavors of Common in Aurora's library. Is that one particularly onerous?"
> "It has some forms from the tongues of the chaotic planes, along with grammar rules from Elven. It's a mess," Sylvie sighs, "Along with a bunch of unique words." Slowly she rubs her temple, "A comprehend language spell should deal with it. I'd just like to know how that mixing came about in the first place."
* Muirfinn lifts a book, turns it sideways, and snorts. "Tepen, this one should please you."
> "Oh yes," Sage Vul'lath speaks up, a hint of amusement momentarily on his face, "Save the cheese for Afina. I hear Balyss is trying to put weight onto her."
> "What book is it?" Elder Magi Tepen comes up, as Sylvie follows. She glances over at Vul'lath, "You heard about that? I didn't think Balyss was spreading that around."
* Muirfinn tosses the book of women to Tepen.
> "She consulted with me about pixie biology," Sage Vul'lath replies, "As well as the biology, what loosely exists for them, of creatures from Fire." His face slips back into sourness.
> Tepen takes it and flips it open, looking down with a bit of amusement before closing it. "Ahem. This isn't suitable for mixed company." he says, giving the book back to Muirfinn.
> "It's not like I don't see my own every time I look down," Sylvie adds in with an eyeroll, "If there's one thing that's constant in Creation, it's that men are obsessed with viewing the female body."
> "Nevertheless," Elder Magi Tepen clears his throat, coughing into his hand. "The follies and folibles of our biological urges are best put aside." Looking about with a sweep of the Staff of Vithos, "It's going to take several trips, even with bags of holding."
* Muirfinn sets the book aside with a shrug. He lifts a wad of silk, holding it up and letting it unfurl. He turns it left and right. "...Canderella." He sets it aside. "Not all men."
* Muirfinn picks up a blackened skull. "...I think this belongs to an ultroloth?"
> "She's a succubus," Sylvie crosses her arms, looking rather unamused, "Fine, all straight men." Sylvie comes over, "It looks like it." Her expression furrows, "Doubtless useful in various vile rituals or to make a Darkskull."
> "It would make a powerful Darkskull," Sage Vul'lath says from his study of the paintings, "Getting the skull of an ultroloth requires more than slaying one, since the bodies of outsiders usually dissolve on death."
<Muirfinn> "I'm straight." Muirfinn says idly.
* Muirfinn tosses the skull to Vul'lath. "Yours if you want it."
> Elder Magi Tepen wanders off, soon coming to a stop. Before him is a vast emerald, sitting on the ground. It's gigantic, resembling a large ball more than a gemstone. "Mystra's Weave," Tepen breathes, "This is worth...!"
> Vul'lath catches it and puts it down, "I have little use for a darkskull. Knowing Aurora's bend, it will likely be destroyed."
* Muirfinn looks at Tepen. "What is...Great Mothers ghost." Muirfinn says, staring at the massive emerald.
> Sylvie walks up to it, taps it with her knuckles and stares. "Fuck." she says quietly, "That's glass or magically colored quartz, I bet."
> roll 1d20+30
* Hatbot --> "Kotono rolls 1d20+30 and gets 42." [1d20=12]
<Muirfinn> "No way, I've seen emeralds before in the sea."
<Muirfinn> "That's got to be real."
> Sage Vul'lath comes over and gives it a look, peering in so his nose presses against it. After several moments of this, "I won't be certain without the proper tools, but it appears to be real emerald. It's as real as you or I."
> This gets Sylvie to go plop against a wall, "Intellectually I know I'm wearing more than what it likely costs in magical equipment," she says after a few moments, "But it's like getting gold marks before the novelty of being rich wears off."
> "Marks?" Sage Vul'lath asks as he studies the gem some more, rubbing the back of his hand against it.
> "Gold coins. It's the local where I'm from," Sylvie explains quickly, "It's just damned impressive to see something like this."
> "Still," Elder Magi Tepen speaks up now, "We'll be at this for days. Let's begin this rather than studying our own windfall?"
* Muirfinn nods. "Let's." With that, he sets up a small ritual. OOC: Casting Elemental Swarm for extra hands.
> OOC: Okay, gathering and bringing loot back is going to be a bunch of drudgework, but nothing that needs to be covered IC. It'll take some days since there's just so much and you have to walk well over an hour to reach the hoard and then to the escape point. Going to visit Baleruk before you bring it back, anything else notable or just going to focus on getting the loot back?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Assemble the loot first, then deal with the dragon.
> OOC: Going to go alone or bring anyone with you?
<Muirfinn> OOC: Let's bring Kascha and Vivantha.
> With that, the three go to visit Baleruk. He sits on his hoard, simply waiting this time. Nothing is awry, nothing's going on. But when you arrive, "At last, you have succeeded!" He announces, as much a question as a proclaimation.
> Kascha follows, her book tucked under her arm. Vivantha is at Muirfinn's side.
<Muirfinn> "Indeed we have." Muirfinn responds placidly, pulling a scroll out of his pack. "We have taken the time to put together an itemized list."
> "Excellent. You will give IT TO ME!" Baleruk's voice rises, "I have heard the sun and stars WHISPER about it!"
> Kascha stays respectfully quiet, nodding along in the right places.
* Muirfinn walks over and hands it to Baleruk.
> The list is taken, and seemingly read in a glance. "EXCELLENT!" Baleruk bellows, "Bring me the treasures immediately!"
> As the dragon-god looms over you, peering down after reading the list in an instant, "Courage," Vivantha murmurs under her breath, a hand going to rest on Muirfinn's arm.
<Muirfinn> "Well," With a not to Vivantha, "You do recall how the rules of Aurora work, correct?"
<Muirfinn> OOC: Nod
> Baleruk's head comes down, one giant eye level with Muirfinn's head. The eye narrows as it swirls a rainbow of colors. It is as if an entire mountain of menacing dragon is glaring at him and only him! "Yes?" Baleruk asks, quite calmly.
> "Eeeek!" Kascha hops back, dropping her book as she does. She quickly darts forward and gets it, going back in a tizzy of wings and stumbling feet.
<Muirfinn> "Excellent." Muirfinn smiles, replying with equal calm. "As you may recall, there were several people involved in this venture. All of them risked life, limb, and in a few cases permanent transportation to the Far Realm. They all deserve an equal and well-earned share of this haul. It is quite vast. I understand a dragon's perogative. Remember in the past that we have given you great boons.
<Muirfinn> Including this great emerald cavern you reside in." OOC: MORE
* Muirfinn leans over and points at the scroll held in the dragon's claw. "Now, Kascha, Vivantha, Canderella, Ellese, Hanna, Elder Magi Tepen, Sage Vul'lath, Sylvie, and myself all have as much of a right to this haul as yourself does. The only question is: How shall we divide it to the satisfaction of all involved."
> OOC: Make a diplomacy check, Muirfin?
<Muirfinn> roll 1d20+39
* Hatbot --> "Muirfinn rolls 1d20+39 and gets 53." [1d20=14]
> That unblinking rainbow eye stares at Muirfinn the entire time. It is like a physical force, raw and oppressive against him. It's like standing against an entire raging ocean! The two stay eye-locked for a time with Baleruk finally breaking it by saying, "You DARE?" Baleruk thunders, the entire lair shaking like a leaf! This earthquake lasts long enough to send gold coins cllittering-clattering to the ground before it ceases. Suddenly he's calm again, "What is your counter-offer then?"
<Muirfinn> Knowing full well that he is likely the only being that could possible outwrestle Baleruk on the Aurora, Muirfinn remains eerily calm. "It's not a measure of disrespect. Remember that, Baleruk. We have always got on what I thougth was quite well. I'd hardly throw that friendship away for a stack of gold. Know that I believe that instead everyone should get their fair share. Everyone. Including
<Muirfinn> you."
<Muirfinn> "After all, without your knowledge, we'd still be empty-handed."
> More silence until, "Very well," Baleruk finally says, "It is what I agreed to before. Have you a total for the treasure yet?"
<Muirfinn> "Of course. It's on the other side of the list."
<Muirfinn> OOC: I'm assuming that we've valued everything.
> OOC: Yes. That's where you come in. Congratulations, you get to add everything up!
<Muirfinn> OOC: Hurray!
> OOC: We'll pause here since it's all adding things up then figuring out who's going to get what.

---Part 1 of the Coda, complete!---

---Level up!---

---See you in 057, Coda part 2!---
<Afina> Forever.