News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

Monetization

Started by Dracos, June 28, 2013, 02:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaminShokrizade/20130626/194933/The_Top_F2P_Monetization_Tricks.php

Mrgh.  I very much hate the existence of companies like these.  They systematically salt the ground for normal game development.  That said, it's good for more folks to know how the poisons are made.
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on June 28, 2013, 02:12:13 PM
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaminShokrizade/20130626/194933/The_Top_F2P_Monetization_Tricks.php

Mrgh.  I very much hate the existence of companies like these.  They systematically salt the ground for normal game development.  That said, it's good for more folks to know how the poisons are made.

Poisonous is absolutely the right word for them. The mixture of game and constant microtransactions reduces gaming to a resource, like an oil well. They'll pump that resource dry no matter what damage it causes because it's worth money.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Grahf

It's things like this that make people say that monetization is bad when really it can be good and useful. It's just that people take it and drive it so far into the ground that it leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Grahf on June 30, 2013, 01:39:54 AM
It's things like this that make people say that monetization is bad when really it can be good and useful. It's just that people take it and drive it so far into the ground that it leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

This. GW2 did a good job with micro transactions. Planetside 2 did a decent job, too. But it feels like most companies try to bleed the hell out of you.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.