News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

Noragami - A ghost story of gods

Started by Dracos, May 25, 2014, 01:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/noragami-r5014/

This is pretty cute.  Kind of reminds me of early era bleach with better writing.  It follows Hiyori who has narcaleptic fits as she leaves her body to wander the spirit world, Yato a Delivery God who is pretty good at killing things, and his sword, some guy who's name I forget.

It's...very bleach like in a lot of ways.  We've got the council of gods in the afterlife instead of soul society, Ayakashi instead of hollows, living weapons/items, and even an Aizen type who convinces everybody he's dead.  There's really no doubt that at least in some structure, the guy is looking at Bleach, because of that...

But frankly, it does it better.  The power escalation is mostly not present.  The focus on ghost stories and the afterlife and gods comes early and stays the whole story so far and it's interplay between the Weapon and the God is far more compelling than Bleach ever managed, with Gods being directed by their guideposts, whether to good or to evil.

I...tentatively recommend.  It is cute.
Well, Goodbye.

JonBob

How does it compare to the anime? I liked it quite a bit.

Dracos

Never watched the anime but looks like that goes down a very different storyline, but one that isn't entirely out of theme with the manga.
Well, Goodbye.