News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

NEW GAME IDEAS!

Started by Anastasia, August 12, 2014, 04:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Okay, so this is how I want this to work.

I want each of you to PM me your ideas on SR. I'll probably reply in PMs back and forth as needed. If you have any questions or need clarifications on anything, post here. Likewise, if I see something in an idea worth addressing to all of you, I'll post it here.

When it's all said and done, I'll make some comments on all the ideas here.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

First batch of PM replies sent.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Oh, and to be clear, feel free to reply back in PM as desired. Just let me know if you have nothing else to say to my replies.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, thank you all. I'll paste a few noteworthy comments from each of you in the next post.  More information on a new game will be coming some time in late August to September.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Neph:

(Most of his are posted since they're more C&C than game suggestions.)

QuoteGroup is working for well-known society or influence so that they have a reason to be going and doing things.

Most likely. I want the new game to be a bit more structured than the open-ended approach of the Vastwoods.

QuoteMaybe some sort of Hunter group to root out evil like demons/undead?

Could work. It's one of many group ideas that would work fine for the above.

QuoteI'd like the idea of steam-punky, something set in the "real" world but with magical influence. Like the game takes place in the US in the 1600s but with magic and other stuff (think like Shadow Hearts).

This is something I spent a lot of time working with. Straight steampunk isn't really my bag, and working with it convinced me I can't do it full bore. It's just not going to work for me from a design standpoint. I may work in a few notes of it here and there, but I doubt it'll be a focus.

QuoteI really enjoyed the alternative powerups in this game, I would like you to keep those if you could. Arguing over who gets the next magic item is really lame. (kinda came up in the bonus Dungeon, Gildas really only ended up with one thing out of there in terms of items)

New game will likely be at least somewhat more traditional with powerups, but mixing it up from only magical items is a given. I tend to do that in each game, Vastwoods just ran with it. The exact structure here will be changed, as keeping track of everything was a lot of extra DM upkeep. It may be one-two things that y'all track instead. Something that takes the burden from me.

QuoteI enjoyed the solo scenarios in Vastwoods, if you will, so more of those to expand on things if we choose to explore them would be great too.

Cor:

QuoteOkay, so we're talking 3.5 universe, but beyond it anything goes?

Some general thoughts, first. I'd prefer a game restricted to a single plane. Maybe not prime, but no plane travel for whatever reason at the onset (the B1 lockdown, we're on Carceri, there are no planes, we're on an Astral-equivalent and will die if we leave, whichever works).

Fair enough. More focused at least at first.

QuoteCourt intrigue. It would be cool. It could be Five Rings style. It could be pseudo-medieval Europe style. Maybe some focus on infiltration as well? Not much to write here because the idea is obvious.

This is quite possible. I've always felt this sort of intrigue is my weakest point as a DM, so something to practice and shore that up appeals. Whatever new game comes will likely have elements of intrigue in it, as long as the concept allows it.

In particular, the sort of interpersonal/interhouse intrigue and politics never feels right for me. I can work on a broader level, like national and even planar, much better. But down to that level of nitty-gritty causes me to struggle.

QuoteYou know I always wanted to play a savage species-type outsider/fey on one side of the build (or even as a char). Maybe something that works with that and takes it places? The appeal is coming into your powers, and feeling it's your heritage. And it can also take you beyond that, later. It's like the difference between a mass-produced hero and one that grew organically while making his own mistakes (and getting a name for himself). As for how it came to be, if it needs to be an actual theme... maybe the palace bred assassins that way? B1 had some examples of it.

This is almost certainly going to happen in one form or another. I blocked you on SS for B3, and while I don't regret it since balance issues were a thing there, I feel bad for you and think this shot is well overdue. The exact form it takes will depend on the game in question.

QuoteSomething to do with flying. By which I mean a flying island, and maybe flying PCs as well. With flight losing its usual mystique early on, other things will fill it in. Pirates are a must, and I'm curious how the ships would go in such a society. Is it Laputa, ruling over the lands? Is it Albion, simply detached from the others and about to undergo a revolution? Is it just one island out of many? Is there even a ground beneath the clouds?

Oh wow, I got a reference. Terrifying!

Anyway, that sounds like it would be bait for a Skies of Arcadia styled game. Hmm. Always fun but needs some research. I may combine this with the first thing about being stuck on a plane and a few other things.

QuoteAnd since ZnT got brought up, that would be cool too. I think you said to stick to older characters before, but there's no reason you can't use ZnT's setup. Drop the dude from Earth, and go with the noble students at a magical school in pseudo-medieval Europe which is about to go through both wars and social change. We could explore the world (and it's awesome), toy with a different approach to magic (if you go that way instead of just using the basic schools of magic), there will be INTRIGUE and ADVENTURE and maybe we can rescue a prince or save a (half) elf maiden. Would be great!

I have an idea sorta like this, actually. It's set aside to be an evening game one day. It's actually a Balmuria game, and while I won't use it here unless all of you went crazy over it, here's the premise:

Azuth (assistant deity to Mystra) has an elite magic academy tucked away somewhere. The goal of it is to take promising prodigies and see how far they can go with the best teaching there is. It's one part college experience (with arcane casters and all the things that implies), one part pressure cooker and one part shenanigans. Hugely mage and magic focused game that plays with a lot of those things.

Eb:

QuoteWarriors of the Eternal Sun

A keep, a castle, a city (suit to preferred scale) is under siege at the climax of a war between two nations (racial moral differences can be scaled to suit) when all of a sudden both the defenders and the besieging army are swept up in a strange whirlwind, depositing them both in a new land where nothing is familiar. Creatures of myth and legend, extinct societies and races abound. Will the two foes forge an uneasy alliance to survive in this new world, or will they try and rope new allies in to their deadly conflict? Either way, a method to return home must exist somewhere out here...

Players would be low-mid level members of either faction and would be called to explore their new home, searching for food, allies, and a way to return home.

Could work. Doesn't leave me hot or cold, just sort of there. The enemies forced to cooperate thing can be fun, but something about this one leaves me a bit dry. It might work better with well chosen enemies.

QuoteGuardians of the Galaxy

Something like Spelljammer in setting. There are no planes, but there are untold worlds. Great machine worlds of the dwarven empire, idyllic pleasure worlds of the elven people, as many as you like to suit the stereotypes of however many factions you want to include. It's a universe of many factions, as well as the odd unaligned planet where all sorts of peoples mingle. Into this comes word of an ancient superweapon left behind by the now extinct(?) illithid/angels/whatever. All sorts of groups want their hands on it, battle lines are drawn, and an unlikely band of misfits might be the only ones to keep the galaxy from falling into ruin either in the fighting over this device or the fallout of its use. Maybe even its creators return, threatening to sweep all aside unless their own weapon can be turned against them. Also space dragons.

Players would be mid-high level misfits or agents of various powers all drawn together by happening on clues to the location of the superweapon and determined to either secure it for their chosen state or just to keep it out of everyone's hands. Or to grab it and hold the galaxy to ransom by themselves.

Sort of feels like Skies of Arcadia in space, only with more sci-fi. Doesn't grab me for any reason I can discern. It's not bad, just not kindling anything for me, either. (In the interests of full disclosure, Cor pitched an idea sort of touching on some of the same concepts. Your post was read/replied to last and I think you might've gotten undercut by him here. I don't think the idea's bad at all, but I'm noting myself comparing it to the other idea.)
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

A few notes for the new game.

- We will be using the gestalt rules, as seen here. You are allowed as many classes as you please, though I prefer if you don't get too insane with dipping. Base attack bonus and saves will be calculated by choosing the progression from one side and staying with it. Ergo, there isn't as much save inflation and you can't manipulate full BAB at all times. If you want to be a warrior, you'll likely want one side of your gestalt to have full BAB classes. In other words, this is the same as in Vastwoods.
- Keep the cheese out and try not to powergame too much. Keep things on the middle of the optimization scale. I can keep up but I prefer not to get into an arms race with the PCs.
- Unlike the Vastwoods, no particular magic (beyond banned spells in houserules) will be banned. You won't be able to plane shift out of the demiplane, though.
- Some LA will be required. Alternately, you can take a path from Savage Species (or make your own, talk to me if so). More details on this will be forthcoming.
- Clerics, druids, paladins and other divine classes will face difficulties at first, due to the game premise. If you're interested in playing one, talk to me. Due to the premise (amnesia in a strange demiplane), deity choices will likely be non-conventional. Special adjustments will be allowed to help divine classes transition without penalty, but it will take a bit of time IC.
- I'll be bringing over the big ol' houserules post. You know the important ones already anyway, they aren't going to change.
- Race selection should be considered wide open. Bear this in mind and talk to me if you have any questions.
- Due to the premise, K:L, K:N&R, K:P and K:R will be banned at character creation. If you need these skills for something, talk to me and we'll make a substitution. They -will- be available once you gain a level, but the amnesia premise interferes with these skills. On a related note, K:L will cover the entire demiplane rather than being regional.
- Character generation will be the best of two sets from Hatbot in #elysium. Make sure I'm in there to witness the rolls. Due to the need to know what y'all are working with (the rest of my prep may take some time), you're welcome to roll sets now. Post them in here once you do. Rerolls may be allowed at my discretion and any set will be rerolled if the total ability score modifiers are +1 or less.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

[19:23] <Nephrite> !rollchar
[19:23] <Hatbot>  [5d6=4, 4, 4, 4, 4] -> 12
[19:23] <Hatbot>  [5d6=3, 1, 5, 1, 2] -> 10
[19:23] <Hatbot>  [5d6=1, 1, 4, 3, 5] -> 12
[19:23] <Hatbot>  [5d6=5, 2, 5, 6, 3] -> 16
[19:23] <Hatbot>  [5d6=3, 2, 6, 6, 6] -> 18
[19:23] <Hatbot>  [5d6=4, 4, 2, 4, 4] -> 12
[19:23] <Hatbot> Nephrite: 18, 16, 12, 12, 12, 10

[19:23] <Nephrite> Hum.
[19:24] <Nephrite> That's not really that bad...
[19:24] <Kotono> Best of two sets from Hatbot.
[19:24] <Hatbot> Whose stash did you raid, Kotono?
[19:24] <Kotono> So roll a second set from him.
[19:24] <Nephrite> !rollchar

[19:24] <Hatbot>  [5d6=1, 4, 3, 5, 4] -> 13
[19:24] <Hatbot>  [5d6=4, 5, 1, 3, 3] -> 12
[19:24] <Hatbot>  [5d6=3, 2, 5, 5, 4] -> 14
[19:24] <Hatbot>  [5d6=3, 4, 4, 3, 3] -> 11
[19:24] <Hatbot>  [5d6=3, 1, 3, 4, 2] -> 10
[19:24] <Hatbot>  [5d6=2, 4, 6, 1, 1] -> 12
[19:24] <Hatbot> Nephrite: 14, 13, 12, 12, 11, 10

[19:24] <Kotono> Set 1, I presume?
[19:25] <Nephrite> Alas.

Ebiris

[17:45] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=6, 1, 6, 3, 1] -> 15
[17:45] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=3, 1, 6, 3, 2] -> 12
[17:45] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=5, 3, 2, 4, 6] -> 15
[17:45] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=6, 2, 2, 5, 6] -> 17
[17:45] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=5, 3, 3, 6, 5] -> 16
[17:45] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=2, 2, 4, 4, 5] -> 13
[17:45] <+Hatbot> Ebiris: 17, 16, 15, 15, 13, 12

[17:46] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=1, 6, 2, 6, 5] -> 17
[17:46] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=5, 2, 4, 2, 4] -> 13
[17:46] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=2, 1, 3, 3, 4] -> 10
[17:46] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=5, 1, 3, 6, 1] -> 14[17:46] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=2, 6, 4, 2, 4] -> 14
[17:46] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=2, 3, 4, 6, 6] -> 16
[17:46] <+Hatbot> Ebiris: 17, 16, 14, 14, 13, 10

going with set 1

Corwin

[20:34] <Corwin> !rollchar
[20:34] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=4, 2, 4, 6, 1] -> 14
[20:34] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=3, 2, 3, 5, 3] -> 11
[20:34] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=6, 6, 5, 3, 3] -> 17
[20:34] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=3, 4, 5, 6, 5] -> 16
[20:34] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=5, 5, 1, 3, 3] -> 13
[20:34] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=3, 2, 2, 5, 3] -> 11
[20:34] <+Hatbot> Corwin: 17, 16, 14, 13, 11, 11

[20:34] <Corwin> !rollchar
[20:34] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=6, 5, 4, 4, 4] -> 15
[20:34] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=3, 2, 3, 4, 2] -> 10
[20:34] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=1, 3, 4, 2, 2] -> 9
[20:34] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=3, 3, 4, 5, 2] -> 12
[20:34] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=2, 5, 2, 4, 3] -> 12
[20:34] <+Hatbot>  [5d6=5, 4, 1, 2, 4] -> 13
[20:34] <+Hatbot> Corwin: 15, 13, 12, 12, 10, 9

First set is better.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Neph

[19:23] <Hatbot> Nephrite: 18, 16, 12, 12, 12, 10

So 4+3+1+1+1+0=+10 total.

Eb

[17:45] <+Hatbot> Ebiris: 17, 16, 15, 15, 13, 12

So 3+3+2+2+1+1=+12 total.

Cor

[20:34] <+Hatbot> Corwin: 17, 16, 14, 13, 11, 11

So 3+3+2+1+0+0=+9 total.

A reasonable spread of capable scores overall. Due to the expected LA and other things, none of you should have any ability score problems.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Speaking of LA, I made a thing.

Myrrhan

Myrrhan's are a relatively now race, their origins unclear. Whether the product of a mad wizard, fey crossbreeds, the evolution of an as yet undiscovered plant species, or the children of a new god, no one really knows. What little Myrrhan teachings available point to a figure they refer to as Greenfinger being responsible for, if not the origin, then at least the uplifting of the race.

At a glance they may be taken for a subspecies of dryad, their brightly coloured and styled head-petals making them initially appealing. An often fatal misconception, for the Myrrhans are solely carnivorous and don't overly discriminate in where their food comes from. While typically they hunt large animals, and in times of famine dine on insects, humanoids are just as likely to be eaten as they are to be poked, prodded, and puzzled over by confused Myrrhans trying to grasp if a non-plant is actually a living creature and not merely 'food'.

Despite that, the attitude of Myrhhans to sessile plants is utter apathy. Only the likes of dryads and treants will be approached with open arms of friendship, though there are cases of Myrhhans accepting 'meat-men' as friends after the initial hurdles are bypassed.

Culturally Myrrhans live in tribal units, with small populations covering a wide area as their hunting grounds. Much of their technology is at a primitive level, living in simple hide yurts with bone furniture - although their jaws are powerful enough to snap bone to get at the marrow inside, they generally prefer to save it as building material. Additionally each home will be festooned with various trophies of the residents hunts, with more impressive trophies marking an individual's social standing.

Myrrhan Traits
Plant type
Str +4, Dex +6, Con +6, Int -2, Wis +2
Medium size
Land speed is 30 feet.
Low-light vision
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects)
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning
Not subject to critical hits
Natural Weapons: Bite (1d6)
Special Attacks: Poison (injury) (1d6 str/1d6 dex). The DC is constitution based.
+4 bonus to hide checks in forested areas
Florans must receive 2 hours of direct sunlight each day or will be fatigued. After two days this will increase to exhaustion. All penalties will disappear if the character receives 2 hours of direct sunlight after they have been applied. The effects of a Daylight spell are sufficient.
Favoured Class: Barbarian
Level adjustment: +4

I had a look at the savage species guide and I think the math checks out.

Plant Type - +2 LA
Unbalanced stats - +1
Special Attack - +1

Seems a fair match for the Half-Fiend at +4 LA too. The ability adjustments add up the same, and the many immunities of the plant type balance with the sr/dr/energy resistances that gets. Poison's probably a bit weaker than the SLAs, but I figure the immunities are a big enough deal that it's a wash.

Yes, they're shamelessly ripped off from Starbound's Florans. I only had just enough shame to change the name!

Anastasia

Looks fine. I'll go over it with a fine-toothed comb this weekend. But I don't see anything objectionable offhand.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Tentatively the LA thing is going to look like this.

1. You select a total of +4 LA through templates or stronger races. I'll consider +3 or +5 with a compelling argument.

OR

2. You work out something with Savage Species and a savage progression. Cor, I know I need to sit down and talk to you about that. As a savage progression is spread out, it doesn't have to worry about the +4 LA limit. It's also more complicated, fair warning.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quick question. We haven't had a stat topic since early/mid B3. Is anyone interested in running one in any form? It's a lot of work and upkeep, but I personally think they're rewarded.

(Of course, as the DM, I have the excuse of being too busy to do it myself. Yes.)
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I'm kind of shooting myself in the foot here, but when you say stat topic, what do you mean?