News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging 2: Endless nagging

Started by Anastasia, August 29, 2014, 12:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephrite

How does the Healing Hymn ACF work? (Page 47, Complete Champion)

I understand it gives a +1 sacred or profane bonus to healing spells per perform level, so, let's say at level 8 I use it, so I believe that makes it 15 total ranks.

Cure Light Wounds becomes 1d8+5+15?

Does Vigor get impacted as well?

How about Lesser Restoration? Does the amount of ability damage it cures also go up?

Second, related question: Since this replaces fascinate, I assume it also replaces suggestion, too, but I don't think there's an ACF that replaces suggestion by itself. I'm not sure if losing three abilities for this is worth it, but maybe others can chime in?

EDIT: Actually, there are apparently some Eberron-related Bard things that might help here, can we look at those later?

Merc

At level 8, you'd have rank 11 (level 8+3 more if at max skill rank). It affects all conjuration (healing) that have a roll involved.

This includes CLW (So if you use it on a level 8 cleric, it'd do (1d8+5)+11) and Lesser Restoration (which would be 1d4+11 points restored, which is fantastic).

It does not include Vigor, however, as that has no roll involved, you just gain fast healing from that.

It doesn't replace Suggestion/Mass Suggestion, but they are kinda useless without Fascinate unless you can get Fascinate elsewhere (or replace them with the Eberron feat options) so you do effectively lose them.

Note that there is errata that nerfs Healing Hymn in Complete Champion, so that you still need to follow the limit of bonus healing on a spell. This means it'd do nothing on CLW, since it's capped at +5, but if you use it on a cleric before he casts Cure Serious Wounds, instead of casting CSW 3d8+8, it'd cast 3d8+15 since that's within the limit. Lesser Restoration has no cap, so you'd still get 1d4+11 at least.

The errata kinda sucks though considering that you are also losing later abilities effectively, and I think I once played a bard with healing hymn in one of Dune's games and the errata got ignored. Figured I'd mention it for completeness of answer on how Healing Hymn works though.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Nephrite

Yeah, hopefully I can use the Eberron things to replace Suggestion and Mass Suggestion once I get there, or at least look at other options there.

Thanks for the clarification, I'm definitely leaning towards that since it seems like it'd be pretty helpful. I'm sure there are bard spells that can emulate fascinate anyway.

Merc

Aha, found it. In B3 house rules, we have general rule:
12: The errata for Healing Hymn is ignored. The amount of benefit from Healing Hymn is not capped.

Anastasia

Okay, a few points.

1. The errata for Healing Hymn is ignored. That's already in houserules.

2. What Eberron things in particular, Neph?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on September 01, 2014, 01:02:25 PM
Aha, found it. In B3 house rules, we have general rule:
12: The errata for Healing Hymn is ignored. The amount of benefit from Healing Hymn is not capped.

While I don't have the full houserules trimmed and ported over yet, you can reference the version on the Balmuria: Rules and Setting board for anything like that. It's current.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

If I can replace certain bardic musics with feats. I'd probably be replacing suggestion for now and then mass suggestion if we ever get to that point.

I believe the one that I'd replace it with is Haunting Melody.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on September 01, 2014, 01:05:25 PM
If I can replace certain bardic musics with feats. I'd probably be replacing suggestion for now and then mass suggestion if we ever get to that point.

I believe the one that I'd replace it with is Haunting Melody.

What's Haunting Melody from?
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Heroes of Horror page 123, it would appear.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-handbook-v35--6/message--2843/

Can I use this spell in conjunction with my music? For example, if I use this and then use Inspire Confidence, I could, in fact, motivate a rogue to hide better?

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on September 01, 2014, 01:57:16 PM
http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-handbook-v35--6/message--2843/

Can I use this spell in conjunction with my music? For example, if I use this and then use Inspire Confidence, I could, in fact, motivate a rogue to hide better?

I'm going to rule no, as I feel this -might- work RAW but completely oversteps the bounds of the spell. It's only a cantrip so I'm not inclined to assume it can do anything like transmit supernatural effects.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Merc

It takes 6.4 years of eating nothing but terrible dry disgusting cardboard-tasting everlasting rations before they pay for themselves! Do you want to eat so terribly for so long? DO YOU?!? =p

Edit: Whoops, thought normal rations were 5 cp, not 5 sp. So instead of 6.4 years, it's about 7.5 months. That's still a lot of terrible meals though! =p

Ebiris

And I bet the first time I drop a mouse at his feet he'll act all offended, as if he doesn't eat shit.