News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Random DM nagging 2: Endless nagging

Started by Anastasia, August 29, 2014, 12:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

Speaking of that, let's have a considerable timeskip. Allow changes to propagate, explain why stronger people are the norm nowadays, the loose threads from Game 1 would be resolved, but at the same time it'd be a couple elf generations into the past so no reliable account of events exists even if we happened to look?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 04, 2015, 12:31:05 PM
Speaking of that, let's have a considerable timeskip. Allow changes to propagate, explain why stronger people are the norm nowadays, the loose threads from Game 1 would be resolved, but at the same time it'd be a couple elf generations into the past so no reliable account of events exists even if we happened to look?

Fair enough, but that doesn't really jive with the flavor and style I'm trying to work with here. I mean, why run a Vastwoods campaign if it loses all touch with the style of the world and game? What I'm saying is that if you do want higher level stuff and power levels, this isn't the best campaign idea for it.

I'd rather use something that fits it rather than pound the campaign into a shape it isn't designed for.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

Probably best to go in a new direction then, it's not really got the makings of a hit.

Corwin

Anastasia

Mmm, let's give Neph a chance to chime in here before I say anything else.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I'm with Dune on the "why start a Vastwoods game if it loses touch with things" angle.

I was all for just picking up where we left off, but if that's not in the cards then that's fine. I'd rather, if we play in Vastwoods, that it not be that long after the events of things, maybe it's too far away for our PCs to go investigate anything about it or something, or we have too many pressing issues of our own to deal with.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on April 04, 2015, 12:48:15 PM
I'm with Dune on the "why start a Vastwoods game if it loses touch with things" angle.

I was all for just picking up where we left off, but if that's not in the cards then that's fine. I'd rather, if we play in Vastwoods, that it not be that long after the events of things, maybe it's too far away for our PCs to go investigate anything about it or something, or we have too many pressing issues of our own to deal with.

Okay. Unless either side changes their mind (speak up now), I'll call this one a miss. Feel free to post if nothing's changed, just so I know and can go back to the drawing board.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I don't think it's really working, so the drawing board it is?

Ebiris

Nephrite

Anastasia

Okay, I'm off to the drawing board again. I might get something up this weekend, so odds are we won't see another pitch 'till Monday or later in the week.

Odds are we won't start 'till Eb's back in May now, but I suspected that was going to be the case anyway.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, I've ran another concept by y'all and it seems like it'll float. So a few bits of guidance for now. All of this is subject to change.

- There's a fair chance it'll be good (or exalted) aligned PCs only. Bear this in mind for character creation.

- Starting level will probably be 5. It could dip to 3 or rise to 7 depending.

- I'm not sure how much LA or exotic options I'll allow. That's still to be determined.

- Magical item shopping will be a thing. Closer to B1 than the terror of steam pixie works in B3. On a related note, if anyone has a character idea that involves magic item creation, give me a poke on IRC.

- Stats will be typical !rollchar. If you want to do them early, feel free to grab me and we'll do it. This isn't mandatory, just a courtesy if you want to know what you're working with ahead of time.

- Regardless of what the LA/exotic options end up being, no full outsiders. Native outsiders are okay here, but I feel this game's premise works best with mortals. I'm open to discussing it if someone has a good concept, though.

- Religious groups suitable for PCs (read as: good aligned ones) in this game are likely to start in an underdog position at best. This should be obvious with the game situation. There will be a list of local options and more exotic options will be possible, but justification will be needed. PCs who have a stated interest in serving a particular power or deity can say so now, they'll get special considerations. Gives me easy material to work with in prep.

- Considering the ideas of this game, Charisma probably shouldn't be a dump stat for any of you.

- If you choose to be of exalted alignment, you're going full bore into being an example and putting your neck on the line. To compensate, you'll get a small bonus (a trait or maybe a bonus feat of some kind) to compensate. If your alignment changes from exalted you'll lose that. There will be some IC justification for this.

Again, all of this is still fluid, so speak if you have concerns over a particular idea.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Oh yeah. The tentative name for this is B5: Paragons. Totally subject to change, but that's my beta title. Then again, I called Vastwoods forestgame until just before the first sessions, so eh.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

There isn't much in way of concrete detail, but I'm interested. Still hoping to play a fey, likely a Savage Species-style since it's been something I wanted to do in a long game for ages. Doesn't look to be a problem.

Corwin

[18:46] <@Corwin> !rollchar
[18:46] <Cat_of_Space> 6, 2, 2, 5, 4 = 15
[18:46] <Cat_of_Space> 1, 3, 4, 4, 5 = 13
[18:46] <Cat_of_Space> 4, 1, 6, 4, 3 = 14
[18:46] <Cat_of_Space> 4, 1, 1, 4, 6 = 14
[18:46] <Cat_of_Space> 6, 6, 5, 6, 4 = 18
[18:46] <Cat_of_Space> 5, 3, 6, 2, 1 = 14
[18:46] <Cat_of_Space> Corwin's Scores: 18, 15, 14, 14, 14, 13
[18:46] <@Corwin> !rollchar
[18:46] <Cat_of_Space> 4, 4, 2, 1, 4 = 12