News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

089: Must be a devil between us

Started by Sierra, March 14, 2015, 12:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sierra

<El-Cideon> The next morning, Crier makes excuses to your hosts about temple errands and departs in truth to stand ready to guide the rest of the Furies into the mansion when signaled by a Sending from Rosemund. As everyone else lounges in the guest wing for breakfast, Krae's lumbering metal bodyguard stalks in unannounced. "Stephanie Sundown," he announces. "The master requests an audience."
<Steph> Stephanie blinks. "Little old me? Alright," she replies, clip-copping to her feet and holding her hands behind her head.
<Julia> "Should I come with you, Mistress?" Julia asks, ever the deferential little minion.
<El-Cideon> "This is a private meeting," Phalaris rumbles from the door.
<Steph> "Ah, that's just how it is," laments Stephanie, before shrugging and passing Julia her enchanted daggers. "Be a dear and hold onto these for me, would you?" she adds, before setting out after Phalaris. The sword she was given rides on her hip, however.
<Julia> Julia holds the daggers a little awkwardly, but she's in little danger of cutting herself anyway.
<El-Cideon> He doesn't seem to object to this particular detail. Phalaris waits outside the office after ushering Stephanie inside. Krae is at his desk writing in a ledger. He looks up upon your arrival. "Ah, Miss Sundown," he says warmly. "I trust you have found our hospitality adequate? I have reached a decision regarding your appointed task."
<Steph> "It has been a pleasant few days," agrees Stephanie, before folding her hands behind her back. "Well, who or what shall it be? Boss."
<El-Cideon> He closes his book and stows it away, assessing Stephanie carefully over steepled claws. "It has come to my attention that a mortal servant in my employ has been working at cross-purposes to Baatorian interests. Obviously this will not be tolerated. I would ask you to eliminate this person. I think it a suitable demonstration of aptitude for you to replace an unreliable agent with your own abilities, yes?"
<Steph> "Positions are limited, only the best need present, huh?" muses Stephanie. "Arright, so which one you want done?"
<El-Cideon> "Jill Cook," he says, watching you carefully.
<Steph> Stephanie whistles. "Didn't quite break her all the way, huh?"
<El-Cideon> "You are recent enough an acquaintance that I trust this will not trouble your conscience overly much," he says, adding with a degree of amusement, "as I recall your stated antipathy for betrayal. So you would have no compunction about carrying out this task? You think it well within your capabilities and feel no personal difficulty in removing this particular target?"
<Steph> "What, you're actually asking? I dunno if she can outfight me or not since I never saw her fight, but it don't matter. I can get her while she's not ready," replies Stephanie, with a slight shrug.
<El-Cideon> OOC: I'd ask for bluff since I presume you don't genuinely plan to kill her
<Steph> roll 1d20+16
<Rei-chan> 6,0Steph rolled :6,0 1d20+16 --> 6,0[ 1d20=10 ]4,0{26}
<El-Cideon> Krae looks inclined to say something more, but settles for, "Then I look forward to a prompt and signal achievement," with an air of dismissal.
<Steph> Stephanie gives a sloppy salute, and soon spins about and returns to the guest room!
<El-Cideon> Stephanie finds everyone else waiting exactly where she'd left them.
* Franceska is slowly working on a proposal to a Solatan court mage that will result in the eternal damning of his soul for short-term profit.
<Steph> "Yo! Gimme those," says Stephanie, sauntering over to Julia. "Anyone see Cook around?"
<Julia> Julia hands the daggers over obligingly. "Not today I haven't, sorry."
<Steph> "Nuts. I gotta go smoosh her. I'm gonna go check her room."
<Julia> "Will you need any help from me or from others?" Julia asks, her head nodding towards Rosemund and the 'others' she represents.
<Steph> "It's about proving myself, so I should really go see her alone," replies Stephanie. "But hey, maybe time to get things ready, huh? And I won't say no to no enchantments."
<Julia> Julia doesn't possess a single spell that could possibly be beneficial to others, so she settles for casting false life upon herself.
<Julia> roll 1d10+10
<Rei-chan> 6,0Julia rolled :6,0 1d10+10 --> 6,0[ 1d10=2 ]4,0{12}
<El-Cideon> Rosemund chants a minor blessing for Stephanie before she can depart. "It is not much, but at least it will last for a while," she says. (OOC: +1 morale bonus to attacks/saves vs fear, 14 minutes)
<Franceska> "If there is going to be vicious fighting, I would like to be prepared," Franceska muses. "Rosemund, could you help me in my room?"
<Steph> Stephanie smiles cheerfully, before setting off. "I'll meet y'all back here!" she calls, before sauntering off to find Jill's room.
<El-Cideon> "Of course," Rosemund says automatically. "What do you need?"
<El-Cideon> Stephanie finds the residents' wing monitored by a golem as before.
<Steph> "Hey, bulky. You mind if I get through?" Stephanie asks, peering up at the golem.
<Franceska> "Let's ask if now is a good time?"
<El-Cideon> "STATE NAME," the golem rumbles.
<Steph> "Stephanie Sundown!"
<El-Cideon> The golem steps aside, but adds, "MASTER'S QUARTERS FORBIDDEN."
<El-Cideon> Rosemund nods. "Okay." Safely away from curious ears inside a bedroom, she elaborates, "I only have so many words with one spell, so what exactly do you wish to communicate?"
<Steph> "Yup, yup, no problem." Deciding she ought to stall for time, Stephanie walks up to one of the rooms she knows is not Jill's, and knocks upon the door.
<El-Cideon> There is no answer from the other side of Stephanie's chosen door.
<Franceska> "Could you come now? A convenient distraction has appeared," Franceska tells Rosemund, laying out her magical artifacts and a fresh change of clothing on her bed. "Can you ask our friends that? If the answer is yes-- maybe add, 'Relay when if yes,' to the message?"
<Steph> Stephanie moves onto the next! Sooner or later one of these portals will beckon her within. Jill might not even be in her room, which will allow her to waste more valuable seconds.
<El-Cideon> "Of course," Rosemund says. After some minutes to perform the necessary magics, she opens her eyes again. "They will be here in an hour. Crier said they hope to meet us in the garden. If we are not there at that time, Crier guesses her friends will just start killing whoever gets in their way. She did not seem to think that was a problem since that was what we hired them for," she adds uncomfortably.
<El-Cideon> From the other side of the door, Jill's voice answers Stephanie. "Who is it?"
* Franceska casts Barkskin and Greater Magic Fang upon herself, and then changes into a gelugon. "An hour it is, then," she tells Rosemund, redressing herself with the clothing she had prepared in advance. "Just make sure to bring that maid over here, and we'll have fulfilled our obligations before Miss Cook?"
<El-Cideon> Rosemund blinks a little uncomfortably at Franceska's new form. "Um, I will go ring the service bell," she decides, rejoining Julia in the lounge to do just that.
<El-Cideon> Sylvia shortly appears in response. "What can I do for your ladyships this morning?" she asks.
<Steph> Nuts. Her target is in. "Steph~. Have you got time to talk?"
<El-Cideon> Steph's answer is the sound of a lock clicking open.
<Franceska> "Please have a seat on the bed," Franceska requests, privately agreeing with Rosemund. Her erinyes form looks much better, but she can't really hold back while considering taking on a powerful devil at his home. She closes the door, and then leans against the wall with her cloak wrapped around her. "As my friend the other day, I wished to talk to you."
<Julia> Julia just smiles at the maid but leaves her to Franceska's tender mercies.
<El-Cideon> "What do you wish to talk about?" Sylvia asks stiffly. She doesn't look especially comfortable being alone in a room with someone of Franceska's current appearance.
<Steph> Stephanie shoves the door roughly open and strides inside, kicking it back closed behind her!
<Franceska> "What was your occupation before your present position here?" Franceska asks, deciding to be direct here.
<El-Cideon> Jill is dressed in light exercise clothes this morning. She is presently wrangling her long hair into its customary braid. "What is it?" she asks simply.
<El-Cideon> "I was associated with an army in a service capacity," Sylvia answers obediently.
<Franceska> "A camp follower?"
<El-Cideon> "In that regard I was spoken for," she clarifies. "Mostly I prepared food, changed bedding, that sort of thing."
<Franceska> "And before that?"
<El-Cideon> "Before that I looked after livestock," she says, "whose personal habits I discovered not to be that different from soldiers'."
<Steph> "You don't walk around in armor. Is it just for show, and you're at your best at all times?" wonders Stephanie. "Or are you actually the sort who lets her guard down?"
* Franceska snorts. "I'll take your word for it. Now, I won't beat around the bush. While your employment here is surely better than that of most, it is a fact that few would be here willingly. What would you say to a job offer?"
<Julia> Julia giggles briefly at the comparison between livestock and soldiers, but quickly shuts herself up again.
<El-Cideon> "Though I suspect Phalaris would contest this, you can't wear armor all the time. It's not suitable for wear during proper exercise," Jill points out. "Which is what I'll shortly be doing." She gives Stephanie a curious look. "Do I need to be especially on my guard around you?"
<Steph> roll 1d20+18
<El-Cideon> "You would have to speak to my current employer about that," Sylvia insists.
<Rei-chan> 6,0Steph rolled :6,0 1d20+18 --> 6,0[ 1d20=9 ]4,0{27}
<Franceska> "Oh, I intend to. But I see little use in taking over the contract of someone who likes her previous place of employment." Franceska frowns. "As it involves contact with a certain elf, I told myself that surely that is not the case. But still, I like to be thorough."
<Steph> "I'm supposed to murder you now."
<El-Cideon> "I haven't the liberty of considering other offers," Sylvia says automatically and with careful lack of response about her co-workers. "My feelings on the matter do not affect this."
<El-Cideon> Jill's surprise is unguarded when she looks directly at Stephanie. "Why?"
<Steph> "Your boss is onto you and your wicked, traitorous ways," Stephanie cheerfully informs her. "Aw, man, I just thought up a great plan and it might be too late to do it. Hey, are any of your neighbours in?"
<Franceska> "Ah, yes. Liberty. We are in Baator, after all," Franceska muses. "Should this matter be resolved to my satisfaction, which position would you like to have?"
<El-Cideon> "Is he?" Jill answers. "I'd've thought he had been for years. He's nearly said as much. Well, if you are truly seeking employment here, there's only one thing you can do, isn't there?" She calmly continues about her business as she adds to Stephanie's last question, "Not to my knowledge."
<El-Cideon> "I am sure I can accommodate whatever services your ladyship might desire should my master consent to release me," Sylvia says, not sounding very optimistic about any part of this sentence.
<Franceska> "Please tell me it took them years to condition you this way."
<El-Cideon> "Are you really asking?" Sylvia asks with some minor confusion.
<Franceska> "Yes. Yes I am."
<Steph> "Nuts. I was really hoping, you know, we could just carpet the whole room in someone else's blood and stick you in a closet or something," replies Stephanie, walking towards Jill's bed and sitting down on it. "Rotten timing, though."
<El-Cideon> "Obedience is survival," Sylvia answers. "I am not sure what other option there ever was since I was brought here."
<Franceska> "Ah, yes. The one who brought you over was Miss Cook?"
<El-Cideon> "I'm afraid I don't have any convenient corpses handy," Jill says. She finishes up with her and stands up. She walks over to her armor and appraises it critically. "If I had to guess, I don't think he actually expects you to do this."
<El-Cideon> Sylvia nods. "That's correct, after my lover was killed in battle and the company fell apart. She thought it would be safer than leaving me behind in Avernus. Which, most days, I think is probably correct. Most days."
<Steph> "I think that was the point. It raises the question of why he would bother entertaining the concept at all," agrees Stephanie.
<Franceska> "Miss Cook subscribes to the belief that where there's life, there's hope." Franceska shrugs. "I think recent events prove her right in that, at least. Of course, it looks like doing things like that had earned her the enmity of the master of the house. It seems that he wants to have her killed."
<El-Cideon> "I think the relevant question is why did he ask *you*?" Jill points out. "I think he only asked because he was sure you wouldn't actually do it. I can't with complete confidence explain why." She turns around and looks at you. "That sword he gave you, how does it feel in your hand?"
<El-Cideon> Franceska finally prompts a more open emotional expression from the maid. "But whatever for?"
<Franceska> "She doesn't belong here, not really. Don't you think so too?"
<El-Cideon> Sylvia offers a hesitant nod in agreement.
<Steph> Stephanie takes the sheathed sword off her belt and frowns at it. "You know that feeling when you're trying to do something you enjoy, but it's at the expense of work you need to do?" reflects Stephanie. "How it taints the pleasure of your leisure because you know it's wrong?"
<Franceska> "There we are. The real question is why now? What changed? Just the other day, she was the trusted person he kept armed in his presence, even past his bodyguard."
<El-Cideon> "Leisure's not something I've known for a very long time, but I believe I can follow you here from description," Jill says drily.
<El-Cideon> "I can't presume to guess at a devil's thoughts, your ladyship," Sylvia says.
<Franceska> "It's actually easier than you think, but that's not what I'm asking. You move around the house. You interact with the other-- employees, yes? Your existence is often ignored as insignificant, and you hear things discussed right in front of you, sometimes."
<Steph> "Perhaps he was testing to see if I'd refuse in an honest sort of fashion, as opposed to pretending otherwise? I don't really understand devils, but I believe they value honesty to some degree. Hence all the contracts."
<El-Cideon> Sylvia hesitates. "They don't appreciate it if I indulge in gossip, ma'am," she says.
<Franceska> "Whatever you say won't leave this room."
<El-Cideon> "Perhaps," Jill agrees with some uncertainty. "So how do you plan to deal with your assignment?"
<Steph> "I plan to procrastinate for a while. If I killed you, you might not come back when I try and get you raised, and I'd be a diamond out of pocket."
<El-Cideon> Sylvia glances around the room, as if checking for eavesdroppers. "I can only say that none of them like Miss Cook. Most of them hate her. Not really because of who she is, I think, although she cut off Shazzred's hand so that's another reason for him at least. It's more like they feel...overshadowed? They talk like the master doesn't have an interest in anyone but her anymore." She shrugs. "I don't presume to understand what goes on in their minds, ma'am. Most of them aren't even human."
<El-Cideon> "Did he give you a deadline, so to speak?" Jill asks.
<Steph> "'A prompt and signal achievement,'" recites Stephanie. "Do you want to scream and shout or something? You know, liven it up for bulky outside?"
<Franceska> "So this could actually be a test for her more than a serious attempt to kill her? All a part of the master's ongoing interest in Miss Cook's reactions?"
<El-Cideon> "Deceit and skullduggery never came naturally to me," Jill admits. "So are you going to go back and tell him you've done it?"
<El-Cideon> Sylvia shrugs again. "I couldn't begin to guess at our master's plans, ma'am."
* Franceska looks over at Julia and Rosemund. "Let's wait and see for now?"
<El-Cideon> "Well," Rosemund feels obliged to point out, "we do not have all that long to wait."
<Steph> Stephanie grins for a moment. "Why don't you visit him and tell him that you overpowered me? If we're going to tell huge fibs, we might as well go big."
<Julia> "I feel like getting some fresh air," Julia declares, rising. "Does anyone want to spend some time in the gardens with me?"
<El-Cideon> Jill goes about the laborious process of donning her armor. "I doubt he'll believe me," she says. "What do you propose happens next?"
<El-Cideon> "It is rather crowded in here," Rosemund agrees.
<Steph> "We wait," replies Stephanie, after a moment. "Until it begins."
<El-Cideon> "Until what begins?" Jill is obliged to ask, favoring Stephanie with a raised eyebrow as she straps her sword on.
<Steph> "The raid, duh. Didn't they go over it with you? Geez, guys, score one for planning!" Stephanie snorts. "It'll be obvious when it starts. Need some liquid courage? I got a bottle left. It doesn't do much for me anymore now that I'm all air-headed," the tiefling adds.
<El-Cideon> Jill declines. "I suspect I can find that on my own power," she says. Unless there's anything else for Stephanie adds, Jill steps out to report to her master about the lamentably failed assassination attempt on her own life.
<Steph> "You're actually going out to see him?" Stephanie asks, reaching out to put a hand on Jill's shoulder. "I was kidding, girl. Just stick around here and wait."
<El-Cideon> "Oh," Jill looks abashed. "You understand facetiousness isn't a common commodity around this house, I hope," she adds in her defense.
<Steph> "Just don't believe anything I say, and you'll be fine!"
<El-Cideon> The rest of the group retires to the garden, and Sylvia passes some time pointing out the names and origins of some of the plants until the Furies' great and cadaverous ship simply blinks into existence in the center of the room without warning. "Oh my word!" Sylvia gasps with a jump. As the ship settles onto the ground, Masuko kicks down a gangplank and the crew starts to disembark with the Duchess in the lead. She takes a look around the garden and then without preamble addresses the trio of Franceska, Julia and Rosemund: "Is there anyone around we shouldn't kill?"
<Franceska> "Stephanie is with Miss Cook in her room. Just them."
<El-Cideon> "Right," she says. "Is the present disposition of our targets known?"
<Julia> "Stephanie, you know her, and Jill Cook, she's the middle aged blonde with her hair in a braid," Julia elaborates. "There's mostly golems, hell hounds, and hellcats for defence."
<El-Cideon> "Gossip was there's a dragon around somewhere," Crier recalls, adding apologetically, "but we never saw it."
<Franceska> "We cannot say where the one-armed elven mage or the other servants are, but the master will surely be in his throne room. Stephanie alluded to such recently, and his bodyguard would be near him."
<Julia> Julia calls Bedford over, wanting him around for dealing with any golems.
<Franceska> "This is where you stay on the ship and wait for us to return with Miss Cook and your freedom," Franceska tells Sylvia.
<Julia> Taking out her wand of magic circle against evil, Julia casts it on herself before pocketing it. "Well, shall we head for the throne room?"
<El-Cideon> "Right," Ismaela says. "We'll see what we can do about isolating and neutralizing his servants before they can assemble." The Furies form up into squads. Masuko takes the crew familiar to you from Earth: stone-skinned Verda; the psychotic little birdman, unhappily still alive (Lox greets you with a less than surreptitious obscene gesture); and water-haired January in place of the slain Isabel. The harpy Skinner takes the company's drow mage, a hulking orc, and a knavish-looking human in a cloak. "Tiller, Shaka, Dicea: mind the ship," Ismaela instructs the hulking corpse and the great white wolves remaining behind as Sylvia's dubious company.
<El-Cideon> Crier stays by the Duchess's side. "Lead on," Ismaela asks, clearly meaning to accompany you to your target.
<Franceska> With a curt nod, Franceska does so!
<El-Cideon> The group's progress takes them back out into the main foyer--where *something* responds to the Duchess's uninvited Abyssal scent and immediately launches itself upon you from the corners!
<El-Cideon> OOC: perception, everyone in the main group?
<Julia> roll 1d20+2 Julia
<Rei-chan> 6,0Julia rolled :6,0 1d20+2 1,0Julia --> 6,0[ 1d20=18 ]4,0{20}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+23 Crier
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+23 1,0Crier --> 6,0[ 1d20=19 ]4,0{42}
<Franceska> roll 1d20+25
<Rei-chan> 6,0Franceska rolled :6,0 1d20+25 --> 6,0[ 1d20=12 ]4,0{37}
<Julia> roll 1d20+6 Thing
<Rei-chan> 6,0Julia rolled :6,0 1d20+6 1,0Thing --> 6,0[ 1d20=11 ]4,0{17}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+16 Ismaela
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+16 1,0Ismaela --> 6,0[ 1d20=12 ]4,0{28}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20-1 Rosey, forever pro
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20-1 1,0Rosey, forever pro --> 6,0[ 1d20=10 ]4,0{9}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+13+2 vs Ismaela
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+13+2 1,0vs Ismaela --> 6,0[ 1d20=11 ]4,0{26}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+13+2 vs Ismaela
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+13+2 1,0vs Ismaela --> 6,0[ 1d20=2 ]4,0{17}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+13+2 vs Fran
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+13+2 1,0vs Fran --> 6,0[ 1d20=11 ]4,0{26}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+13+2 vs Rosey
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+13+2 1,0vs Rosey --> 6,0[ 1d20=10 ]4,0{25}
<El-Cideon> OOC: flatfooted AC
<Julia> OOC: +2 deflection if you're near me!
<Franceska> OOC: +4 if near me, since unholy aura
<El-Cideon> OOC: Fran, hit or no?
<Franceska> OOC: Sorry, was checking flatfooted. Should be 27 or higher, so no.
<El-Cideon> Alert or no, the intruders' magical and supernatural protection prove sufficient for warding off the assaults of these unseen attackers. Four invisible beasts snarl in frustration!
<El-Cideon> OOC: init
<El-Cideon> roll 4#1d20+9 hellkitties
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 4#1d20+9 1,0hellkitties --> 6,0[ 1d20=4 ]4,0{13}, 6,0[ 1d20=10 ]4,0{19}, 6,0[ 1d20=7 ]4,0{16}, 6,0[ 1d20=8 ]4,0{17}
<Franceska> roll 1d20+5
<Rei-chan> 6,0Franceska rolled :6,0 1d20+5 --> 6,0[ 1d20=9 ]4,0{14}
<Julia> roll 1d20+2 Julia
<Rei-chan> 6,0Julia rolled :6,0 1d20+2 1,0Julia --> 6,0[ 1d20=19 ]4,0{21}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+3 Ismaela
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+3 1,0Ismaela --> 6,0[ 1d20=4 ]4,0{7}
<Julia> roll 1d20+9 Battersby
<Rei-chan> 6,0Julia rolled :6,0 1d20+9 1,0Battersby --> 6,0[ 1d20=8 ]4,0{17}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+3 Crier
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+3 1,0Crier --> 6,0[ 1d20=19 ]4,0{22}
<Julia> roll 1d20+7 Thing
<Rei-chan> 6,0Julia rolled :6,0 1d20+7 1,0Thing --> 6,0[ 1d20=19 ]4,0{26}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+2 Rosey
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+2 1,0Rosey --> 6,0[ 1d20=2 ]4,0{4}
* El-Cideon changes topic to 'Current planar traits: -2 on CHA-based checks for chaotic or good characters, -4 for both | Thing (26) > Crier (22) > Julia (21) > hellcat (19) > hellcat = Battersby (17) > hellcat (16) > Fran (14) > hellcat (13) > Ismaela (7) > Rosey (4)'
<El-Cideon> OOC: Thing gets first move
<Julia> Thing remains safely hidden, waiting for Julia to call him out!
<El-Cideon> "Oh, right, invisible cats," Crier realizes. "Let's do something about that," she adds, chanting a brief spell--which in the eyes of all here uncovers the shroud of invisibility around their attackers to reveal four monstrous Infernal predators.
<El-Cideon> OOC: Julia is up
<Julia> She'd been about to use fear on the unseen enemies, but now she can see them more permanent means are available to her, so she walks up to the nearest hellcat and reaches out to touch it!
<Julia> roll 1d20+9 touch
<Rei-chan> 6,0Julia rolled :6,0 1d20+9 1,0touch --> 6,0[ 1d20=14 ]4,0{23}
<El-Cideon> OOC: hit
<Julia> roll 1d20+17 vs SR for harm, DC 26 will for half if this passes (150 damage)
<Rei-chan> 6,0Julia rolled :6,0 1d20+17 1,0vs SR for harm, DC 26 will for half if this passes (150 damage) --> 6,0[ 1d20=2 ]4,0{19}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+8 will you made it on the dot
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+8 1,0will you made it on the dot --> 6,0[ 1d20=6 ]4,0{14}
* El-Cideon changes topic to 'Current planar traits: -2 on CHA-based checks for chaotic or good characters, -4 for both | Thing (26) > Crier (22) > Julia (21) > hellcat = Battersby (17) > hellcat (16) > Fran (14) > hellcat (13) > Ismaela (7) > Rosey (4)'
<El-Cideon> The infernal beast withers to death from negative energies on the spot! One of its companions has another go at the Duchess just as Battersby gets a chance to wing into action.
<Julia> "Thing, please finish this," she instructs, her familiar bursting out of her pocket to to rake his claws over the hellcat!
<El-Cideon> OOC: oh, if Thing had a held action, go ahead.
<Julia> roll 1d20+12 claw
<Rei-chan> 6,0Julia rolled :6,0 1d20+12 1,0claw --> 6,0[ 1d20=19 ]4,0{31}
<Julia> roll 1d3-1
<Rei-chan> 6,0Julia rolled :6,0 1d3-1 --> 6,0[ 1d3=3 ]4,0{2}
<El-Cideon> OOC: doesn't break their DR but rest assured they are terrified of his accuracy
<Julia> Since that failed it's up to Bedford, who canters forward with a far more lethal kick at the near dead feline!
<Julia> roll 1d20+16
<Rei-chan> 6,0Julia rolled :6,0 1d20+16 --> 6,0[ 1d20=3 ]4,0{19}
<El-Cideon> OOC: whiff
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+13 vs Ismaela
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+13 vs Ismaela
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+13 1,0vs Ismaela --> 6,0[ 1d20=2 ]4,0{15}
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+13 1,0vs Ismaela --> 6,0[ 1d20=13 ]4,0{26}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+8 vs Ismaela
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+8 1,0vs Ismaela --> 6,0[ 1d20=18 ]4,0{26}
<El-Cideon> While the undead nightmare fails to score a hit, the Duchess's coating of thorns and brambles proves equally adept at deterring effective assault against her. One of the remaining cats tries again against Franceska!
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+13
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+13
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+8
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+13 --> 6,0[ 1d20=13 ]4,0{26}
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+13 --> 6,0[ 1d20=1 ]4,0{14}
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+8 --> 6,0[ 1d20=7 ]4,0{15}
* Franceska scoffs coldly against such feeble attacks!
<El-Cideon> OOC: Fran's up
<Franceska> Considering the way they had attacked in a group, Franceska steps to catch at least a couple of the beasts in a cone and unleashes a massive cone of cold at them!
<Franceska> roll 1d20+14 SR
<Rei-chan> 6,0Franceska rolled :6,0 1d20+14 1,0SR --> 6,0[ 1d20=1 ]4,0{15}
<El-Cideon> OOC: failed :(
<El-Cideon> The cats' supernatural resistance immunes them against Franceska's tricks. One of them tires of scratching its claws ineffectually against Rosemund's heavy armor and takes a step to the side to swipe at Crier instead!
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+13
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+13
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+8
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+13 --> 6,0[ 1d20=7 ]4,0{20}
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+13 --> 6,0[ 1d20=10 ]4,0{23}
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+8 --> 6,0[ 1d20=13 ]4,0{21}
<El-Cideon> But some disturbance in the air around the scarred woman keeps those teeth and claws well away from her flimsy robe.
<El-Cideon> OOC: Duchess and Rosey
<El-Cideon> Duchess Ismaela dispenses with anything flashy or fancy and simply reaches out to grab the offending feline and draw it into a crushing embrace--
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+30 CMB
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+30 1,0CMB --> 6,0[ 1d20=1 ]4,0{31}
<El-Cideon> OOC: alas :(
<El-Cideon> Meanwhile, Rosemund turns to try and whack into submission the cat attacking Crier.
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+19
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+14
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+19 --> 6,0[ 1d20=19 ]4,0{38}
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+14 --> 6,0[ 1d20=18 ]4,0{32}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d8+9+2d6
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d8+9+2d6 --> 6,0[ 1d8=1 2d6=10 ]4,0{20}
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d8+9+2d6 --> 6,0[ 1d8=4 2d6=8 ]4,0{21}
<El-Cideon> The feline devil yowls out in pain as Rosemund's blessed weapon batters through all its supernatural resilience!
<Julia> Thing shamefully retreats back into Julia's pocket after his deadly rake attack failed, peeking sullenly out of the flap.
<El-Cideon> "Bad kitty," Crier sings at her attacker. "BAD."
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+18 vs SR
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+18 1,0vs SR --> 6,0[ 1d20=2 ]4,0{20}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+9 fort
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+9 1,0fort --> 6,0[ 1d20=19 ]4,0{28}
<El-Cideon> The cat fails to suffer visibly from its taunting, however...
<El-Cideon> OOC: Julia
<Julia> Rather than using magic, Julia resorts to pure negative energy as she touches the stubborn cat before her.
<Julia> roll 1d20+9 touch
<Rei-chan> 6,0Julia rolled :6,0 1d20+9 1,0touch --> 6,0[ 1d20=13 ]4,0{22}
<Julia> roll 1d8+3
<Rei-chan> 6,0Julia rolled :6,0 1d8+3 --> 6,0[ 1d8=1 ]4,0{4}
<Julia> OOC: negative energy damage, so DR doesn't matter!
<El-Cideon> OOC: noted, first kitty and Bedford are now up
* El-Cideon changes topic to 'Current planar traits: -2 on CHA-based checks for chaotic or good characters, -4 for both | Thing (26) > Crier (22) > Julia (21) > hellcat = Bedford (17) > hellcat (16) > Fran (14) > hellcat (13) > Ismaela (7) > Rosey (4)'
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+13 kitty vs Ismaela
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+13 kitty vs Ismaela
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+13 1,0kitty vs Ismaela --> 6,0[ 1d20=2 ]4,0{15}
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+13 1,0kitty vs Ismaela --> 6,0[ 1d20=4 ]4,0{17}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+8 kitty vs Ismaela
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+8 1,0kitty vs Ismaela --> 6,0[ 1d20=4 ]4,0{12}
<Julia> With that one finally down, Bedford reaches across the hall to the next kitty, kicking and stamping it with merciless undead hooves before craning his neck down to take a flat-toothed bite out of its hide!
<Julia> roll 1d20+16 hoof
<Rei-chan> 6,0Julia rolled :6,0 1d20+16 1,0hoof --> 6,0[ 1d20=19 ]4,0{35}
<Julia> roll 1d20+16 hoof
<Rei-chan> 6,0Julia rolled :6,0 1d20+16 1,0hoof --> 6,0[ 1d20=14 ]4,0{30}
<Julia> roll 1d20+11 bite
<Rei-chan> 6,0Julia rolled :6,0 1d20+11 1,0bite --> 6,0[ 1d20=6 ]4,0{17}
<El-Cideon> OOC: first two hit
<Julia> roll 4d6+24
<Rei-chan> 6,0Julia rolled :6,0 4d6+24 --> 6,0[ 4d6=15 ]4,0{39}
<El-Cideon> Fran's attacker struggles to stay on its feet as it's suddenly ambushed from the side by bony equine fury! Nonetheless, it takes another set of swipes at the inferal impostor in its sight.
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+13 vs Fran
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+13 vs Fran
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+13 1,0vs Fran --> 6,0[ 1d20=19 ]4,0{32}
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+13 1,0vs Fran --> 6,0[ 1d20=14 ]4,0{27}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+8 vs Fran
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+8 1,0vs Fran --> 6,0[ 1d20=8 ]4,0{16}
<Franceska> OOC: Will DC25 first please
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+8 oh right. That should have been relevant the whole time!
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+8 1,0oh right. That should have been relevant the whole time! --> 6,0[ 1d20=13 ]4,0{21}
<Franceska> OOC: crippling aversion to violence+sickened
<El-Cideon> OOC: noted, and your turn
<Franceska> She might have failed before, but that is no reason to abandon a perfectly good plan! And so Franceska tries to seal a couple of guard cats inside a huge block of ice!
<Franceska> roll 1d20+14 cone of cold SR
<Rei-chan> 6,0Franceska rolled :6,0 1d20+14 1,0cone of cold SR --> 6,0[ 1d20=20 ]4,0{34}
<El-Cideon> OOC: obviously passes
<Franceska> roll 14d6 ref dc22 half
<Rei-chan> 6,0Franceska rolled :6,0 14d6 1,0ref dc22 half --> 6,0[ 14d6=41 ]4,0{41}
<El-Cideon> roll 2#1d20+11 ref
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 2#1d20+11 1,0ref --> 6,0[ 1d20=2 ]4,0{13}, 6,0[ 1d20=12 ]4,0{23}
* El-Cideon changes topic to 'Current planar traits: -2 on CHA-based checks for chaotic or good characters, -4 for both | Thing (26) > Crier (22) > Julia (21) > hellcat = Bedford (17) > Fran (14) > hellcat (13) > Ismaela (7) > Rosey (4)'
<El-Cideon> Franceska finishes off her attacker with a blistering icy gale, while Ismaela's foe is badly chilled.
<El-Cideon> Crier's attacker turns and attempts to flee before Rosemund can finish it off, while the Duchess tries to batter her enemy to death before it can follow suit--
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+19 AoO for Rosey
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+19 1,0AoO for Rosey --> 6,0[ 1d20=11 ]4,0{30}
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d8+9+2d6 --> 6,0[ 1d8=2 2d6=7 ]4,0{18}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+24 Ismaela
<Franceska> roll 1d20+12 I have reach!
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+24 Ismaela
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+24 1,0Ismaela --> 6,0[ 1d20=19 ]4,0{43}
<Rei-chan> 6,0Franceska rolled :6,0 1d20+12 1,0I have reach! --> 6,0[ 1d20=1 ]4,0{13}
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+24 1,0Ismaela --> 6,0[ 1d20=19 ]4,0{43}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+18 Ismaela
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+18 1,0Ismaela --> 6,0[ 1d20=17 ]4,0{35}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d6+1d4+10
<El-Cideon> roll 1d6+1d4+10
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d6+1d4+10 --> 6,0[ 1d6=1 1d4=3 ]4,0{14}
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d6+1d4+10 --> 6,0[ 1d6=1 1d4=4 ]4,0{15}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d6+1d4+4
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d6+1d4+4 --> 6,0[ 1d6=5 1d4=3 ]4,0{12}
<El-Cideon> The Duchess puts down her foe with a pair of lacerating slashes of her many-barbed hands, but Rosemund just fails to finish hers and Fran isn't able to tag it as it flees! It's already tearing off for Krae's office corridor before anyone can intervene.
* Franceska tries to teleport right before it and have another shot!
<El-Cideon> OOC: not your action? Rosey'll try to Searing Light iut down first.
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+12 ranged Rosey touch
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+12 1,0ranged Rosey touch --> 6,0[ 1d20=4 ]4,0{16}
<El-Cideon> roll 1d20+14 vs SR
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 1d20+14 1,0vs SR --> 6,0[ 1d20=8 ]4,0{22}
<El-Cideon> roll 5d8 damage
<Rei-chan> 6,0El-Cideon rolled :6,0 5d8 1,0damage --> 6,0[ 5d8=21 ]4,0{21}
<El-Cideon> A beam of holy power bores through the terrified creature before it can make good its escape!
<El-Cideon> OOC: free act
<Franceska> "Nicely done!"
<El-Cideon> "It'll get harder than that, right?" the Duchess asks, sounding disappointed.
<Franceska> "However eccentric, the master is still a high ranking devil. So yes, I would assume so."
<Julia> Julia proceeds to cast Death Knell, drawing strength from quashing the dying hellcat's spark of life! OOC: +2 str, +1 CL, and temp hit points that aren't better than false life
<Julia> OOC: lasts 10 minutes per hd, so 80 minutes here I think
<El-Cideon> OOC: correct
<El-Cideon> ~