News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

Miscellaneous stuff

Started by Anastasia, April 11, 2015, 02:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

So we've been using Pathfinder skills for awhile. As I've mention before, I'm fairly neutral on them and use 3.5 skills for monsters behind the scenes, since I'm more comfortable with them. I've only identified a few points of interest with them. This isn't any grand reasoning to change things, I don't intend to unless y'all want me to here, since these are your preference, but just my two cents.

1. Acrobatics is good. I like how it combines several athletic skills into one whole, as experience has shown they're a tad too fragmented in 3.5. You can buy this and be good at most athletic things (barring climbing and swimming). I think this works better and is an improvement.

2. Perception is too good. Spot and Listen were already important skills in 3.5, but combining them and throwing Search in for free? Yeah, it feels like it's just about mandatory. While one can argue that Spot and Listen being separate skills is daft (I'm neutral on that one), I feel Perception needs to be toned down somehow. It's just too useful and too good to pass up, even if it isn't a class skill.

3. Concentration isn't bad, but it is a missed opportunity. I have no real quibble with the Pathfinder concentration rules, as I feel 3.5 Concentration is a no duh skill for casters. May as well tone it down a bit and take it off the skill track. That's fine. But I do think making it a skill that is rolled against the threatening creature's CMD would be better, ala acrobatics/tumble. Would it be more breakable? Sure. I also think it would benefit from making concentration more dynamic and a question of enemy skill. Plus when you factor in skill boosters, ways to raise CMD and so on, it becomes an interesting little sub system to work with.

But all that being said, Pathfinder's Concentration isn't bad at all. It scales better until high/epic levels and is fairly simple. I'm not knocking it, I just think doing it that way would've been better.

4. I'm glad we didn't use Fly. I've yet to come across a situation (with one exception) that a Fly skill would have been useful. I do see the logic of it, since swim and climb are skills, but I feel it's a situation where its own rules already serve admirably.

5. +4 skill points combined with Pathfinder skills results in a skill glut. It's not a big deal, but it's probably a bit imbalanced. Oh well, no big deal.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

I wouldn't mind seeing Perception changed in some fashion, perhaps splitting it into Spot/Listen (Perception) and then a separate one for Searching? I don't know. I can understand it being too good, but I do think the idea that being "Good at spotting" and "Good at listening" is kind of lame.

On the other hand, it also makes sense, because some people are better at listening than seeing... I really don't know how you could approach that one. I definitely see the merit in making a skill for actually searching things different from one from just 'paying attention to your surroundings,' or what have you.

Ko was here. Quote this edit and you'll win a special prize!

Anastasia

I'd do that as Perception staying for Spot/Listen and just bringing back Search as a skill. It's a reasonably close call either way and one can certainly logically justify combining them into one skill. I just feel it's not well balanced that way.

Edit to match Neph's edit: Yeah. Spot and Listen makes more sense (to me) being separate, but there's a good counter-argument that it's an unfair drain on the skill points of a perceptive character. I have no problem with them being combined since it makes gaming and balance easier, since previously spot/listen intensive characters were hit with double skill point spending to cover the bases.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Maybe change Search into 'Treasure Finding' or something like that. Clearly, that's its primary use anyway.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on August 11, 2015, 11:23:24 PM
Maybe change Search into 'Treasure Finding' or something like that. Clearly, that's its primary use anyway.

That and trapfinding. Don't forget trapfinding.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Honestly, I think the real issue is if you say someone is good at seeing things (Spot), then why aren't they also good at seeing things (search)?

I suppose the most logical thing if you were wanting to split them would be to put Search and Spot in one skill and Listen in something else? I'd say make the Listen checks relatively easier so you don't feel like you have to fill it with a bunch of points, but then it begs the question of why even bother to split them in the first place?

I can see a lot of different avenues for handling it, I think I generally agree with moving away from everyone wanting it and everyone needing a bunch of ranks in it because it's so important.

Corwin

Let's not. Anyway, just about any edition has 'must have' skills, and people still don't take them. Like perception and me.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on August 12, 2015, 02:34:57 PM
Let's not. Anyway, just about any edition has 'must have' skills, and people still don't take them. Like perception and me.

No argument with the latter part, and that's a large part of why I shrug and go along with Perception anyway. Do I think it's too good? Yeah. Is it worth the trouble of changing? Not really, unless there's a serious outcry to do so. Same reason that why I loathe the six second combat round, I don't go to the massive trouble to alter it.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spiritualWeapon.htm

"It uses your base attack bonus (possibly allowing it multiple attacks per round in subsequent rounds) plus your Wisdom modifier as its attack bonus."

As a cleric spell using wis makes sense, but should it use cha for a favoured soul casting it?

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on August 17, 2015, 04:22:46 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spiritualWeapon.htm

"It uses your base attack bonus (possibly allowing it multiple attacks per round in subsequent rounds) plus your Wisdom modifier as its attack bonus."

As a cleric spell using wis makes sense, but should it use cha for a favoured soul casting it?

Yeah, that's fine. Most spells like that specify since they can be accessed by more than one class.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Can Erad do a K checks?

What kind of conscription took place in the previous wars?

If there's any religious exempt rules to this?

If not, is there perhaps any city or anything he would recall that might help the party avoid getting involved?

Were there any notable people that were against the last war? (If this is K:Nobility then forget it)

Anastasia

Make an K:H check and post the results.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

[22:10] <Nephrite> roll 1d20+6+2 K:H and using True Believer
[22:10] <Serith> Nephrite roll for Serith < 19 > [d20=11]

Anastasia

Conscription varies depending on the Dynast and the type of war. Big peasant armies are of middling effectiveness at best, and often times they're needed to grow food anyway. The more powerful you are, the more likely you're going to be convinced to lend aid. Of course, this usually comes with military rank.

There's no religious exemptions, but it's rare to have clergies drafted as anything but healers. Exceptions exist. Usually it's not worth the political scuffling it would entail for things beyond healing and support.

No, the Dynast generally comes down hard on any cities in Malana that play hardball. This may still work if the situation is right, but it'll be remembered. The best way to avoid being drafted is to simply not be in Malana or keep your head down. History is rife with examples.

This is more into nobility, but you'll get some. There's not a lot of opposition to the last war. Wars between Kabath and Malana are often cited as inevitable in history and most of the nobility accepts that. This one didn't go so hot. Anyway, nobility comes with an expectation of supporting the Dynast. So if there's war, you're expected to do your part.

I'm talking generalities here, since you got ideas but not specific examples with that check total.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

For the record, Erad will share this with Inari and Annerose, since they weren't really around for the last war. He'll also encourage T and Helena to add anything he might've missed.