News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

005: Jumpman and the Leap of Faith

Started by Merc, April 16, 2015, 12:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

[19:57] <Luther> [21:44] <Luther> "Hrm...probably should have offered my servant to Anders. Oh well, hindsight's twenty twenty as they always say! Tragic, tsk. So tragic. You, go jump into the pit and keep Anders company or something, I guess," Luther says as he reaches the other side and gestures back to the pit.
[19:57] <Luther> [21:45] <Kotono> As the zombie heads towards oblivion once more, the door ahead looms.
[19:57] <Luther> [21:46] * Kevamros shakes his head again at Luther, but moves to open the door.
[19:57] <Luther> [21:47] <Kotono> Ahead is...OOC: We'll resume here next session. It's a good pause point since I want Yuth's new PC ready before we go further.

[20:16] <Dungeon_Slaad> Ahead is a plain room. In the center of it is a single wooden coffin, decorated with a sun symbol on the center of the lid. On the other side is another door, leading further into the dungeon. There's also an old leather bag hanging on the left wall.
[20:17] * Kevamros eyes the coffin and mentally prepares himself to use a turn undead charge.
[20:18] <Luther> "A vampire, you suppose?"
[20:18] <Kevamros> "Possible. Could be a lich?"
[20:19] <Luther> "If it were a lich, we'd probably be dead," Luther notes flatly. "At least a vampire there's a chance I could control. Maybe."
[20:19] * Kevamros waves a heand towards the coffin.
[20:20] <Kevamros> "Go forth, brave soul."
[20:20] <Dungeon_Slaad> The coffin doesn't respond to Kevamros' blatant provocation. Granted, coffins rarely do so.
[20:21] * Luther moves to open the coffin.
[20:22] <Dungeon_Slaad> Within the coffin is...(More)
[20:27] <Rhayser> Lying in the coffin is a heavily armored bulky figure. His face is uncovered, with a leonine cast and white-gold hair. He blinks up at Luther. "Uhh..."
[20:27] * Kevamros peers over Luther's shoulder.
[20:27] <Kevamros> "Vampire?"
[20:28] * Luther blinks and stares back at the bulky creature. "Nope," he answers, then slams the door back down. "Doesn't look like much anyway. Sounded kind of dopey."
[20:28] <Kevamros> "Well... any port in a storm?"
[20:29] * Luther frowns and knocks on the coffin door. "Hey, Mister Dopey. Are you friendly or do we need to kick your ass to move on?"
[20:30] <Rhayser> "Oh no I'm totally a vampire. Yeah."
[20:30] * Kevamros calls on a bit of magic to make his hand glow with holy might! and holds it up over Luther's shoulder.
[20:30] <Rhayser> "Flee in terror, base mortals."
[20:31] <Rhayser> "Rarr."
[20:31] <Luther> "...I don't even know how to react to that bold-faced lie."
[20:32] <Rhayser> "You could try holy water. Or booze. Holy booze."
[20:32] <Kevamros> "You could hit him."
[20:32] <Rhayser> "Also why am I in here?"
[20:32] <Kevamros> "Pain, terror, entertainment, death. The usual, I think."
[20:32] <Luther> "I don't know. Why are you there?"
[20:33] <Rhayser> "Why are we anywhere? What is the meaning of life?"
[20:34] <Luther> "To die, and be enslaved by magicians such as I."
[20:34] <Kevamros> "Every life has it's own meaning."
[20:34] <Luther> "Say, do you -wish- to be a vampire under my command?"
[20:34] <Rhayser> "Not really."
[20:34] <Luther> "I'm not quite there just yet, but I think I could turn you into one in a year or so. Just need a little bit more researc...oh, pity."
[20:35] <Kevamros> "Could you use the dragon bones to speed it up?"
[20:36] <Rhayser> "Dragon bones?"
[20:36] <Luther> "That's not how necromancy research works, Kevamros."
[20:37] * Kevamros shrugs.
[20:37] <Dungeon_Slaad> As the trio banters, the bubbling of liquid gold can be heard. ...wait, what? It sounds suddenly awfully loud, carrying all the way in here from the previous room.
[20:37] <Kevamros> "I'm not a necromancer. Also, yes. Dragon bones in an ice cave. Near the pit of molten gold."
[20:37] <Kevamros> "Speaking of which. Let's go."
[20:37] <Rhayser> "I have no idea about necromanc-MOLTEN GOLD?" tHE TOP IS ABRUPTLY SHOVED ASIDE AS THE MAN SITS UP.
[20:38] <Rhayser> OOC: Whee capslock AND shift
[20:38] * Kevamros strides over to the leather bag and does a quick check over it for traps before he grabs it.
[20:38] <Luther> "And now we know what drives you to action. I was surprised you were just bantering from inside that coffin..."
[20:39] <Luther> "And yes, there is a pit filled with molten gold back there," Luther gestures back where they came from.
[20:39] <Luther> "It's a lovely pit and all, but no practical way to take the gold with us unfortunately."
[20:39] <Rhayser> "Well yeah." The main stands, pulling a crystal sword nearly as tall as he is from the coffin. "Rhays'r Aureline."
[20:40] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: Hold on a sec, all.
[20:40] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: First of all, make a quick search check, Kev.
[20:40] <Kevamros> roll 1d20+10 Search
[20:41] <Serith> Kevamros roll for Serith < 13 > [d20=3]
[20:41] <Dungeon_Slaad> It doesn't seem trapped. Within Kevamros finds...OOC: Loot post.
[20:42] * Kevamros slings the bag on goes back to the others.
[20:42] <Luther> "Well, you seem friendly enough, I suppose. I would be Luther D'Arthes. My companion is Kevamros Gellantara. We used to have another companion...but well, he was quite enamoured with that gold."
[20:42] <Kevamros> "Gold, gems. We need to leave now if that gold is on the way."
[20:43] <Rhayser> "Hmm. How much gold are we talking about? Also, where are we?"
[20:43] <Luther> "Why would the gold be on the way? It's a pool of gol...oh, the pool is rising or something, isn't it?"
[20:44] <Kevamros> "Randomly shifting dungeon. Enough molten gold to kill us along with Anders."
[20:44] <Luther> "Let's move on then."
[20:44] <Kevamros> "Quite."
[20:44] <Rhayser> "Right. Molten gold bad."
[20:44] * Kevamros moves towards the door out.
[20:45] <Dungeon_Slaad> It's a door and is closed, as doors tend to be. Opening it would help.
[20:45] * Kevamros throws it open and heads through!
[20:46] <Dungeon_Slaad> The door is thrown open. Ahead is a narrow hallway that stretches on further than you can see, dimly lit...huh. Behind you there's a golden glow now. That might not be good, and a moment later a wave of strong heat washes over the party.
[20:46] <Luther> "Right, right, moving on!" Luther says as he starts walking quickly down the narrow hallway.
[20:47] * Rhayser follows, since hot. He closes the door concientiously behind himself. OOC: Darkvision and low light vision!
[20:48] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: How fast ahead are you traeveling?
[20:49] <Luther> ooc: I'm hustling!
[20:49] <Kevamros> OOC: Keeping up with the others.
[20:50] <Luther> ooc: So...40 ft? 2x speed.
[20:50] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: Okay.
[20:50] <Rhayser> OOC: Kev, you're leading, you can't keep up!
[20:51] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: Spot checks, all.
[20:52] <Kevamros> roll 1d20+14 Spot
[20:52] <Serith> Kevamros roll for Serith < 29 > [d20=15]
[20:52] <Luther> roll d20+0 Spot
[20:52] <Serith> Luther roll for Serith < 12 > [d20=12]
[20:52] <Rhayser> roll 1d20+3
[20:52] <Serith> Rhayser roll for Serith < 21 > [d20=18]
[20:52] <Dungeon_Slaad> The party hurries along, hundreds of feet down the hall. The golden glow fades as you race ahead, but ahead is another trial. A 20ft long pit. Hanging from the ceiling in the center is a rope, as if to be leapt to and swung on to the other side. On the other side is 5ft of solid ground and then another door.
[20:53] * Kevamros eyes the rope for stability.
[20:54] <Rhayser> "Oh, it's just a pit jump."
[20:54] <Dungeon_Slaad> It looks to be a rope. It's a little frayed, perhaps.
[20:55] <Kevamros> "I think there's something inside the rope. Metal of some kind."
[20:55] <Luther> "Some sort of trapped rope?"
[20:55] <Kevamros> "Perhaps."
[20:56] * Luther examines the area while they're stopped in front of it, looking for other options across
[20:56] * Rhayser cranes his head to look upward. OOC: What's it attached to?
[20:56] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: Search check.
[20:56] <Dungeon_Slaad> The rope is tied to a little metal rung in the ceiling.
[20:56] <Luther> roll d20+1 search
[20:56] <Kevamros> "I have rope."
[20:56] <Serith> Luther roll for Serith < 15 > [d20=14]
[20:57] <Dungeon_Slaad> Oh! Luther finds something. Just over the edge of the pit is a bit of wall that can be pulled out. Doing so, he finds a little cubby with a scroll tucked into it, as well as a few gold coins. Meanwhile, the golden glow begins to return once more. OOC: Loot post.
[20:59] * Kevamros inspects the rope more closesly, trying to find a way around the seeming trap.
[20:59] * Luther puts away the items found and eyes the rope and then their new companion. "I don't suppose you're strong enough to carry us and jump across?"
[21:00] <Dungeon_Slaad> AS the rope is 10ft out, it's hard to inspect it closely unless Kev can fly. Troublesome, that.
[21:01] <Rhayser> "Well I can jump across. Probably. Dunno about carrying you. But! I can jump over, lengthen that rope or tie a new one, then come back and shove you across so you can land safely on the other side. Probably."
[21:02] <Luther> ooc: knowledge check of some sort to see if he can carry us?
[21:02] <Luther> ooc: even if it's only one?
[21:02] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: How ripped do you look, Rhayser?
[21:04] <Rhayser> OOC: I'm pretty jacked yo
[21:04] <Kevamros> OOC: Dwarf-toss us.
[21:05] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: Then you'd think he looks pretty tough.
[21:06] <Luther> "I think you can get us safely across. I believe in the strength I see!"
[21:08] <Rhayser> "Okay. Which of you weighs more?"
[21:09] <Kevamros> "I'm 185."
[21:09] <Luther> "I have no idea, though I imagine I probably weight more than him with my armor taken into account."
[21:10] <Dungeon_Slaad> As the party chats instead of doing things, the golden glow gets brighter. A dull roaring sound can be heard from farther ahead - woah! About 100ft away is a tidalw ave of molten gold, heading right your way.
[21:19] <Rhayser> "Well." Rhays'r turns to Kevamros. "Climb on, bro."
[21:20] * Kevamros leaps into Rhays'r arms.
[21:22] <Rhayser> "That's...okay. Whatever flops your mop." He heaves Kev into a fireman's carry, focusing for a moment and taking several steps back, then running forward to leap out into space!
[21:22] <Rhayser> roll 1d20+17+5 Jump check to at least reach the rope, hopefully not needing it at all.
[21:22] <Serith> Rhayser roll for Serith < 41 > [d20=19]
[21:23] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: What about you, Luther. What are you doing in the meantime?
[21:24] <Luther> "Hey! What about me?!?" Luther yells out as he eyes the incoming tidal wave...will there be time for that Rhayser fellow to jump back and fetch him? OOC: Is there enough time, or do I need to fend for myself?
[21:24] <Rhayser> OOC: I can jump back real fast
[21:25] <Dungeon_Slaad> Rhayser leaps on. He clears the pit with plenty of distance to spare, safe on the other side. Meanwhile the tidal wave is coming fast! It's now only 50ft away! No time! No time! OOC: ACt all. One round's actions as the tidal wave races over.
[21:25] <Rhayser> OOC: Also gold does not tend to flow fast.
[21:25] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: A slaad did it.
[21:25] * Rhayser dumps Kev on the ground, turning and leaping back!
[21:25] <Rhayser> roll 1d20+17+5 Jump
[21:25] <Serith> Rhayser roll for Serith < 36 > [d20=14]
[21:26] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: Okay, you're jumping over. In the meantime, Luther and Kev, doing anything?
[21:26] <Rhayser> OOC: -5, but I still made it
[21:27] <Luther> "Ooooh, god dammit all!" Luther curses as he summons some undead to throw themselves into the tidal wave, hopefully slowing it down some or at least diverting it off to the sides.
[21:28] <Luther> ooc: Summoning an ogre zombie to block/divert tidalwave
[21:28] <Rhayser> OOC: If I can touch down before the gold gets there I can immediately jump back
[21:28] <Luther> ooc: Should work some since it's a narrow hallway. If it's narrow enough that an ogre can't fit, then I'd put two bugbears instead
[21:28] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: Right. Waiting on Kev's action here if he has any.
[21:29] * Kevamros checks out the hallway for any other traps or ticks!
[21:29] <Rhayser> OOC: SO MUCH TENSION
[21:30] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: Search check.
[21:30] <Kevamros> roll 1d20+10 Search
[21:30] <Serith> Kevamros roll for Serith < 29 > [d20=19]
[21:31] <Dungeon_Slaad> The two skeletons appear. Unfortunately, the tidal wave immolates them without even slowing down. Pity that. As Rhayser lands and Kevamros looks around, he finds nothing unusual at all. Except the tidal wave of gold. Oh, it's 10ft away now and blisteringly hot. May want to do something NOW, unless joining Anders is the plan. OOC: You lack the room for a running start now, so if you jump, apply
[21:31] <Dungeon_Slaad> the appropriate penalty. Also some fire damage incoming to you two.
[21:31] <Dungeon_Slaad> roll 2d6 fire damage
[21:31] <Serith> Dungeon_Slaad roll for Serith < 9 > [d6=6,3]
[21:33] * Rhayser grabs Luther and pulls him to his chest, simultaneously willing away the pain of fire and making an truly logic-defying massive leap from a standing position across the chasm!
[21:33] <Rhayser> roll 1d20+17+10 Mental Leap, no penalties for not taking a running start due to feat
[21:33] <Serith> Rhayser roll for Serith < 40 > [d20=13]
[21:33] <Luther> ooc: wow, right on the dot
[21:33] <Rhayser> OOC: As a reminder, DC does not change from 20
[21:33] <Rhayser> OOC: Due to FEAT
[21:34] <Luther> ooc: ...nice feat
[21:34] <Luther> ooc: although you'd have just made it on the dot even if it doubled
[21:34] <Rhayser> OOC: Yes. This is actually exactly why I took it
[21:34] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: Which feat?
[21:34] <Rhayser> OOC: Leap of the Heavens. PHB2. DCs do not double for making standing jumps.
[21:35] <Rhayser> OOC: I'm a rocket!
[21:35] <Luther> ooc: The Rocketeer?
[21:35] <Rhayser> OOC: I need the helmet
[21:35] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: You chose wisely.
[21:36] <Rhayser> OOC: Right?
[21:36] <Dungeon_Slaad> Somehow, Rhayser makes the leap over, the two safe and sound! Whew! The gold plunges down the pit and out of sight. Safe! OOC: Act.
[21:36] <Rhayser> "Well that was fun. Is this always like this?" He says, dropping Luther onto his feet.
[21:36] <Luther> "...Thank you."
[21:37] <Rhayser> "No prob, bruh."
[21:38] * Kevamros pats them both on the shoulder.
[21:38] <Kevamros> "Good work. Do you need healing, or can you go on?"
[21:38] <Luther> "I could use a bit of healing."
[21:39] <Rhayser> "I'll live. Crispy, but live."
[21:40] * Kevamros burns a use of Turning for heals!
[21:41] <Kevamros> roll 4d6 heals!
[21:41] <Serith> Kevamros roll for Serith < 18 > [d6=3,5,6,4]
[21:43] <Dungeon_Slaad> Healing energies soothe the wounds of the party members, washing away pain and misery.
[21:45] <Luther> "Thank you as well. Oh my, this seems like a good reason to break out the wine again," Luther says with a sigh of relief as he digs into his bag. "Drink? Raiser, was it?"
[21:46] <Rhayser> "Close enough." Rhays'r nods.
[21:48] <Luther> ooc: Is the gold still flowing into the pit?
[21:48] <Luther> ooc: or was it just a wave, here and gone again?
[21:49] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: It's still going. Rather warm.
[21:50] <Rhayser> OOC: THAT RIGHT THERE IS A GUD QUESTION
[21:50] <Luther> "Hrm...perhaps we should keep moving and save the drinks for later, actually. The fact that the gold is still flowing leaves me a tad nervous."
[21:50] * Rhayser glances backward. "We should go. I assume that pit will eventually fill."
[21:50] <Kevamros> OOC: We should dip the leather bag in, fill it with gold, and then let it cool.
[21:50] <Luther> ooc go for it
[21:50] <Kevamros> OOC: Kev isn't greedy like that.
[21:51] <Luther> ooc: And I'm not willing to burn my hand sticking something into molten gold. So guess that idea is a wash!
[21:51] <Kevamros> OOC: Rhayser might!
[21:52] <Rhayser> OOC: And I didn't take Energy Adaptation, so I can't go swimming.
[21:53] * Kevamros heads down the hallway!
[21:53] * Rhayser accompanies him.
[21:57] * Luther does as well!
[21:57] <Dungeon_Slaad> The hallway is only 5ft more before you come to the door yous aw in the first place. Opening it might help.
[22:02] * Rhayser reaches around Kevamros very carefully and opens the door for him.
[22:03] <Dungeon_Slaad> The door, quite surprisingly, is locked.
[22:05] * Rhayser takes exception to that and attempts to remove the door.
[22:05] <Rhayser> roll 1d20+6 strength
[22:05] <Serith> Rhayser roll for Serith < 11 > [d20=5]
[22:06] <Dungeon_Slaad> No good. It's a surprisingly sturdy door. Just like a bad hangover, it lingers instead of going away. Annoying.
[22:07] <Rhayser> "It's locked. Who's up next?"
[22:08] <Luther> "I slowly broke down the last lock I faced. Somehow, I think you'd do a much faster job than I would though."
[22:08] <Luther> "So please, keep at it."
[22:09] <Kevamros> "Can I help?"
[22:09] <Rhayser> "
[22:09] <Rhayser> "If you like."
[22:09] * Kevamros moves to help!
[22:10] * Luther just drinks wine while Kevamros and Rhayser do hard labor.
[22:12] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: Str checks, you two.
[22:12] * Rhayser moves up next to Kevamros, putting boot to door.
[22:12] <Rhayser> roll 1d20+6
[22:12] <Serith> Rhayser roll for Serith < 22 > [d20=16]
[22:12] <Dungeon_Slaad> OOC: That's a solid success. We'll pause herea nd open next time with DOOR ADVENTURES.
[22:12] <Kevamros> roll 1d20
[22:12] <Serith> Kevamros roll for Serith < 6 > [d20=6]
[22:13] <Rhayser> OOC: Marvy. Dog walky time
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.