SR Board Gaming Tonight (7/3)

Started by Merc, June 27, 2015, 10:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

Okay, at some point today/tonight, Drac and I will try and poke people on IRC (or wherever we can poke) for a game of Kingdom Builder at Brettspielwelt (aka, BSW).

You will need to register at BSW (Register Here), and afterwards install the Game Client.

I'll be idling in #SR-boardgames @ irc.lunarnet.org until whenever we're ready to start. Once we're ready to go, I'll set up a game room and invite the others into the room.

If you want to review the rules first, you may download a pdf of them here. Alternatively,  BSW has a web summary, which shows how they lay out the board in the client.

Edit: Below is the original post from last week...
Spoiler: ShowHide
Is there interest in an online board game tomorrow evening? Alternatively, some point next weekend?

I had a bit of interest in trying out Kingdom Builder over at BrettSpielWelt, at least assuming that I can figure out how to make a private room. Kinda got interested after the last episode of Tabletop. (Do note that learning the rules from that video might not be the best idea though. Wheaton admitted as much in a blog post about the rule screw ups)

Barring my ability to figure out how to make a private room, I'd also be interested in a game of T'zolkin: The Mayan Calendar over at Board Game Arena.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Merc

Next weekend, I guess (assuming someone posts, otherwise whenever?).

Dracos

Heh, was boardgaming all yesterday, so just saw this today.

I'd be up for boardgaming next weekend, though friday and saturday are both easier for me.  Sunday I have tentative hangout and game with Gate plans so may or may not be available.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

Friday works.

I'm having barbecue/family over on Saturday. Will probably still be free in the evening though, so that could work too, just can't confirm for that.

Brettspielwelt is a pain in the ass, as an aside (installer is in German for one thing).

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Merc

First post updated for gaming tonight (hopefully).

Merc

BSW is an absolute shit of a client.

Kingdom Builder itself is an interesting game, though it has some learning curve to it due to its adjacency rules limiting player interaction, and it felt like there's a definite luck element to it with managing to spread out properly on the map to increase your options. It's also one of those rare games where going last is actually more of an advantage than going first.

I liked it overall, but it's not a game I think I'd play frequently either.

Merc

As a random aside, I picked up a physical copy of this game.

If Drac and others are up for it when we have the SR gathering next month, I'd be interested in trying a slight variant where we have a hand of three cards (rather than just one card) and pick one of them to play as our turn action, and each turn we draw back up to three cards.

It feels like that would take out some of the sting from the adjacency/luck, while still keeping it strategic.