Started by Corwin, September 11, 2015, 12:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

#d

[20:04] <@Inari> roll 1d20+18 diplo
[20:04] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 19 > [d20=1]
[20:04] <Annerose> roll 1d20+15 aid
[20:04] <Serith> Annerose roll for Serith < 16 > [d20=1]
[20:05] <~Kotono> OOC: Wooow. Helena'll aid too, since why not?
[20:05] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+2
[20:05] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 16 > [d20=14]
[20:10] <~Kotono> Unfortunately, one truth is there - getting a tailor this late, let alone with something you can buy and wear, just isn't happening. You could try an dlook further, but the odds would be steeper and you'd risk being late.
[20:13] <Annerose> "How about we just look on our own?" Annerose proposes. "We could cover more ground quickly that way."
[20:13] <@Inari> "Well, we could still be fashionably late?" Inari laughs before stopping at Annerose's question. "We could... but we'd also be split up with no way to find each other even if one of us found something."
[20:15] <Annerose> "Good point. How about looking in the direction of the estate? That way we won't need to cover as much ground to get there, and a wealthy area is bound to have quality stores that cater to fickle customers at random hours."
[20:16] <@Inari> Nodding, Inari sets off to look anew!
[20:16] <@Inari> roll 1d20+18 diplo x2
[20:16] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 35 > [d20=17]
[20:16] <Annerose> roll 1d20+15 help!
[20:16] <Serith> Annerose roll for Serith < 29 > [d20=14]
[20:20] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+2 Helena
[20:20] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 13 > [d20=11]
[20:21] <~Kotono> By sheer dint of luck and persistence, you find a small dress shop. The owner's just heading out as you come by, "Dresses? Now?" He asks, an old man walking with a cane. "On such short demand?"
[20:21] <@Inari> "We've been rather put on the spot by an abrupt invitation," Inari says with an apologetic frown. "We'll be sure to compensate you properly for the inconvenience of such a rushed job!"
[20:22] <~Kotono> "It'll have to be something from the finished rack," He says, "There's no time, no time at all to make something."
[20:23] <Annerose> "That's quite alright. We merely wish for something tasteful, rather than showing up in our travel clothes."
[20:24] <@Inari> "You might need to make an adjustment or two for me," Inari admits, wagging her tails demonstratively.
[20:26] <~Kotono> "Goodness!" The old man startles and steps back, "Ah...I suppose I will," he says, voice faint.
[20:26] <@Inari> He'll be getting to touch a goddess's bottom, he should look more pleased about it! "Just a slit or something with a button beneath it will do, but lets have a look at what you have that's ready?" she asks, heading towards the door.
[20:29] * Annerose follows along, humming to herself.
[20:36] <~Kotono> OOC: Okay, this is gonna run y'all 15 gold due to haste and getting at least passable dresses. Post the expense in loot and who is paying it. The exact dress you get can be described if you like, do so now.
[20:40] <Annerose> OOC: Post
[20:41] <@Inari> Inari gets a nice plum coloured velvet dress in a fairly conservative style, buttoned up to the neck and with a long flared ankle-length skirt that's been split at the back with some new buttons hastily sewn on so she can let her tails out. Though it does mean she needs a little help putting it on, that's easily done with Annerose and Helena on hand! She keeps her embroidered purple mantle over
[20:41] <@Inari> her shoulders and back since it manages to go just as well with this as with her usual attire, as well as her usual hairpiece. She also got herself a nice pair of boots to go with it, rather than wearing her usual sandals.
[20:46] <~Kotono> Helena goes simple - a navy colored gown with relatively little ornamentation. It works by being simple and elegant, rather than anything else.
[20:48] * Annerose picks a flowing, silk tourquoise evening gown, easy to move in and darkening towards the bottom while keeping the sleeves light. An opaque navy shawl lays over her shoulders, out of an aesthetical choice than to keep her warm. "I think we did well," she muses, glancing between Helena and Inari.
[20:49] <~Kotono> "We should, these are nice," Helena echos, "I wonder if there will be any eligible men there?"
[20:50] <Annerose> "Quite possibly."
[20:50] <@Inari> "A little too tight around the arms, but it's not a bad look," Inari says, stretching her arms. "Thank you!" she beams at the helpful tailor.
[20:52] <Annerose> "Yes, thank you very much!"
[20:52] <~Kotono> He nods, "Next time, come with time so we can do something proper. You're lucky we had three dressed that fit."
[20:53] <~Kotono> A smile from the old tailor, "Yes, come bac kwith enough time so we can do it properly. You would look good in something tailored to you."
[20:54] <Annerose> "Perhaps even tomorrow? I could use a better wardrobe!"
[20:54] <@Inari> "I will, there's some old designs I know we should get back in fashion," Inari says brightly. "I'll come by tomorrow and we can talk it over."
[20:55] <~Kotono> This gets a smile at him and a tip of his hat, "Be seeing you then!"
[20:55] <~Kotono> OOC: Ready to move along?
[20:55] <Annerose> OOC: sure
[21:00] <~Kotono> From here it's a fairly short trip to Mr. Winters estate. It has a small but elegant lawn and garden,  a footpath leading through it and ot the front door. Nice place - multistory and it looks fancy. Rich. Not stonework or defense, but closer to a pleasant home. Three stories to be precise, the night cloaking much of it. As you pass you can see the garden - summer roses and orchids, beautiful
[21:00] <~Kotono> arrays of muted color.
[21:01] * Annerose walks up to the front door at leisure, knocking upon it to announce their presence.
[21:02] <~Kotono> Helena's slower, looking at the flowers . "Nice! So many roses, too."
[21:02] <@Inari> "He must have a good gardener," Inari agrees, looking over the well kept flowerbeds and smelling the nice scents they provide.
[21:04] <~Kotono> The door opens. A butler dressed to the nines opens it and says, "Ah, Ms. Annerose and guests. This way, please."
[21:05] <Annerose> "Good evening," Annerose greets him pleasantly, ready to follow the butler inside.
[21:12] <~Kotono> The party is lead inside. Inside is dim lighting down hallways and rooms, the floor a rich and sturdy darkwood. Paintings of various well dressed people hang, as well as the occasional tapestry. You soon find yourselves in a comfortable room - a fireplace dominates the back. There's a few bookshelvs, a window with a strange contraption pointing out of it, a liquor cabinet and an array of
[21:12] <~Kotono> comfortable chairs in small groups. Games such as chess are set on tables. Mr. Winters is there, clad in a dark red finery sipping from a shot glass. Next to him is a middle aged man, tall and rather stout. He wears a rich pearl-gray tunic that his beefy neck squeezes tight. He wears several gold rings with jewels and moves with a heavy-footed grunt and huff. "Annerose, Annerose," he offers to
[21:12] <~Kotono> her with a smile, "Knight Savin DeLuca."
[21:13] <Annerose> "A pleasure to meet you, Sir Savin," Annerose responds with an answering smile. "Might I introduce my companions and friends, Inari and Helena?"
[21:14] <~Kotono> Mr. Winters smiles as well, "Welcome to my humble abode. Such a trite saying, but I admit this house is rather simple by standards."
[21:15] <~Kotono> "You may," he says with a little huff again, eyeing Inari's tails.
[21:16] <@Inari> Inari smiles back gently, her tails waving around in a relaxed fashion behind her. "Thank you for inviting us," she says, giving a little curtsey and lifting up the sides of her skirt.
[21:17] <~Kotono> "But I do believe we haven't met yet, Miss...?" Helena gets Mr. Winters gaze on him, as a maid comes by. She carries a tray with a few bottles and glasses, "Champaign? Brandy?" she offers to each.
[21:18] <~Kotono> "Helena," She introduces herself with a smile back, pausing to get a glass of champaign. "I have familial interests in trade."
[21:19] <@Inari> "A brandy would be nice, thank you," Inari says, accepting a glass... and either waiting till she sees one of their hosts drink from the same bottle or for everyone to be conveniently distracted so she can cast detect poison before she drinks any.
[21:19] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+3 Helena
[21:19] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 4 > [d20=1]
[21:19] * Annerose gets a glass of champagne for herself, taking a sip.
[21:22] <~Kotono> Mr. Winters looks to be drinking brandy as well, though he doesn't get his cup refreshed. "Please, let's sit down," he says, going to a set of chairs. Mmmm, soft and comfortable - they just sink in and almost swallow youup in softness. It's good champaign to Annerose's tongue as he goes on. "Now of course there's the matter of the issue that brought us here. Best to discuss that before we indulge
[21:22] <~Kotono> in an evening of merry times."
[21:22] <@Inari> Inari just settles for lingering a bit behind so she can cast the spell while obscured by both Helena and Annerose before she makes her way to take a seat.
[21:23] <~Kotono> Helena watches the maid go, sipping her drink and smiling. "Right to business," she says, "A bold opening gambit, eh?" Inari finds that the drink isn't poisoned.
[21:23] <Annerose> "Certainly," Annerose agrees, sinking into a chair opposite his and gathering her shawl in her lap. "Has the bank reached a decision, then?"
[21:23] <@Inari> Relieved, Inari takes a sip and smiles as she sits down.
[21:24] <~Kotono> It's really rather good brandy, Inari finds.
[21:25] <~Kotono> "We are considering the issues on hand," Mr. Winters says, likewise sipping his drink. "But right now it's a matter of risk assessment. If I may, you and your friends are wild cards in this situation, unknown factors that must be managed before any prudent decision can be reached."
[21:27] <@Inari> "If I may, does that strictly matter?" Inari asks. "Once we've purchased the debt, it's no longer the bank's concern how it's managed. The only risk I can see is that we somehow try to trick you with fool's gold or something, which can easily be tested for."
[21:28] <~Kotono> It's Knight DeLuca that speaks up, "Yeah, but you're the ones doing it out of the blue."
[21:29] <~Kotono> "Ahem," Mr. Winters clears his throat after another sip, "I believe the point being made is that there is curiosity over all of you and where you come on such funds." His gaze slips to Helena, "Are all of you part of this 'familial trade' mentioned?"
[21:30] <Annerose> "So this is a matter of principle, rather than logic?" Annerose voices. "Very well. How may we allay your fears of the unknown?" At the glance to Helena, she shakes her head. "No. Rather, we rely on Helena's expertise when such situations come up."
[21:30] <~Kotono> As you talk, the maid comes back. Pretty black haired thing, bringing a tray of little appetizers, silently offering to each as she goes around. Helena's eyes go to her and smiles, taking several.
[21:30] <@Inari> "We're more of a confluence of interests," Inari says, deciding she may as well keep being mysterious. But not so mysterious she can't enjoy an appetizer!
[21:31] * Annerose takes one as well, out of curiousity more than any real hunger.
[21:32] <~Kotono> "I would hardly say it's not a matter of logic. Logic dictates to understand the situation as completely as possible before making a decision," Mr. Winters nods slightly. They're pretty good - mostly little savory bits of meat or cheese, though there's some sweet fruits as well, ones that aren't familiar to any of you.
[21:32] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+3 Helena again
[21:32] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 8 > [d20=5]
[21:33] <~Kotono> Clearing his throat after that, "So to allay these fears, we'd like to know more about the 'confluence of interests' you represent."
[21:35] <@Inari> "Our interest lies in the prosperity of Misty Harbour and beyond," Inari answers. "The temple of Lathander as it stands is an unsightly blight on the landscape. We'd like to do something about that, and as they've already provided so much collatoral into the bank's hands, this offers a useful avenue for us to have a stake in the temple and its influence on the city beyond. It's an investment in
[21:35] <@Inari> the future, one might say."
[21:36] <~Kotono> The maid works around, Knight DeLuca helping himself while Mr. Winters refrains. "Conceded," He chuckles a little bit, "That old temple is terribly out of the times. What do you plan to do with it?"
[21:38] <Annerose> "They need to learn how to manage their affairs properly, and we'll make sure of that. The next step is finding funding for the community outreach programs they used to run. After all, this is about making Misty Harbor prosperous again, and sometimes all a person needs is a small nudge in the right direction to help with that."
[21:39] <@Inari> "It's structurally sound, and if it weren't for its current dilapidated state it would be quite the treasure," Inari adds to Annerose's explanation, nibbling on an appetiser.
[21:40] <~Kotono> Mr. Winters smiles at this - ever so slightly, "Interesting! Annerose, Inari, that's enough for me for now. Tell me, are either of you familiar with telescopes?"
[21:40] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+3 Helena again v 3
[21:40] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 18 > [d20=15]
[21:41] <~Kotono> Helena starts to say something, but her fingers slip. Her champaign glass slips and falls, shattering as it splashes over the hem of her dress. "Ah, oh no!"
[21:42] <Annerose> "In principle," Annerose responds, "though it has been a long whil-- oh, some of that got on you! Let me help!" Prestidigitation takes care of the stain, first of all.
[21:42] <@Inari> roll 1d20+13 sense motive are we being played?
[21:42] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 27 > [d20=14]
[21:42] <~Kotono> It seems faintly...off somehow. Hard to say. Meanwhile, Mr. Winters smiles, "Abby, would you take Miss Helena back and see to her dress?"
[21:43] <~Kotono> The maid bows slightly, "Of course, sir," she says, coming over, "Don't worry, Miss Helena. We can get it right out."
[21:43] <Annerose> "Oh, there's no need for that," Annerose waves the offer off, taking care of everything with magic!
[21:44] <@Inari> "I'm not familiar with the term," Inari says, looking at the maid and then at Mr Winters. "In fact, while we're using magic to clean things, allow me to help..." she casts detect magic!
[21:44] <~Kotono> The magic gets Mr. Winters to pause, while Knight DeLuca finally looks up and adds something. "Mage, are you?" he murmurs. Inari can detect unusual magic around Helena. OOC: Make spellcraft.
[21:44] <@Inari> OOC: looking for fishy stuff around the maid/lingering auras of recent spells being cast
[21:44] <@Inari> roll 1d20+12 spellcraft
[21:44] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 22 > [d20=10]
[21:45] <Annerose> "Among other things," Annerose murmurs, taking care of the broken glass with a wave of her hand. "It comes in handy."
[21:45] <~Kotono> Three spells: a charm spell, detect thoughts and suggestion were all recently cast on Helena.
[21:46] <~Kotono> "Yes, I imagine it does," Mr Winters murmurs himself, "Both of you are wizards?"
[21:47] <@Inari> "For shame. For shame!" Inari stands up now. "How dare you take advantage of our friend like that! How dare you invite us in for a friendly discussion and cast such offensive magic on our party! How dare you!"
[21:51] <~Kotono> "I bet your pardon?" Mr. Winters says, stopping and merely looking to Inari.
[21:51] <~Kotono> "Eh?" Helena says, eyes on the maid before her mostly, though she glances at Inari a few times.
[21:52] <@Inari> "Helena, you've been charmed, suggestioned - no doubt to drop that glass, and had your thoughts read. The magic is plain as day. And I demand an explanation!" Inari says, her usually gentle facade cracking into a scowl while her tails whip around furiously behind her.
[21:52] <Annerose> "Helena?" Annerose asks, pausing. "How are you feeling?"
[21:53] <~Kotono> "I feel fine," Helena says, "I just waned to talk to...Abby?" she blinks a tthat, "Since Abby's my best friend."
[21:53] <~Kotono> roll 1d2
[21:53] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 1 > [d2=1]
[21:53] <@Inari> "Is she now?" Inari turns a fangy smile towards the maid.
[21:54] <Annerose> Eyes narrowing, Annerose commands the foreign magics upon Helena to break as the air turns frigid around her.
[21:54] <Annerose> roll 1d20+6 dispel
[21:54] <Serith> Annerose roll for Serith < 26 > [d20=20]
[21:54] <~Kotono> Mr. Winters smiles - a smile that lives up to his name. "As I said, the crux of the matter is prudence. The Bank of Misty Harbor must know what it get sinto before making a decision." At the same time, the magic around Helena shatters like ice, leaving her blink-blinking. "Eh?"
[21:55] <~Kotono> The maid smiles and goes over to Mr. Winters side.
[21:57] <@Inari> "And I'm sure you weren't having Helena separated from us for anything nefarious? No, I'm afraid your explanations hold no credence, none at all," Inari says with a firm shake of her head, her ears flattened in plainly displayed ire even as she smooths out her expression. "And your lack of an apology proves the lie to any knightly honours you claim to hold."
[21:58] <Annerose> There is one creature that would fit with Inari's description, and so Annerose returns Winters's frosty smile as she looks at the gathered men and the maid with Detect Evil.
[21:58] <~Kotono> OOC: Paladin version?
[21:58] <Annerose> OOC: Yes
[22:00] <~Kotono> You can indeed see the taint of evil around her - and Mr. Winters and Knight DeLuca as well. Before you can discern how strong it is, "Yet I feel you aren't what you presented yourselves as, precisely. You see, there are interests in play that would prefer to soon forclose on the temple. They are quite persuasive. Your emergence has added a great degree of difficulty to these proceedings and
[22:00] <~Kotono> those interests have made offers to ensure your offer is rejected. Of course, we are open to a counter-offer.""
[22:01] <~Kotono> Helena just looks a bit dazed, shaking her head back and forth. "What was I thinking?" she mutters to herself, rubbing her forehead.
[22:02] <@Inari> "I don't think you understand, no matter how you want to dither and stall on our offer, there is absolutely nothing you could do to stop the temple merely paying their debt back if we approached them with the funds directly," Inari says disapprovingly. "All you've done is overplayed your hand and revealed yourselves for the scoundrels you are, for nothing."
[22:04] <~Kotono> "There is. We have the right to foreclose at this point rather than accept payment," Mr. Winters smiles coldly, "And that would be that."
[22:04] <Annerose> "I'm disappointed, in many ways," Annerose says, continuing to take them in. "This goes beyond incompetence. A temple is just a building. You can foreclose on the remaining, peeling off gold and recover perhaps ten percent of your investment, yes. But don't pretend it is some grand bargain in the making."
[22:06] <@Inari> Wow, the laws really are insane these days. Inari's tails freeze for a moment as she hears that, taking a moment just to absorb how wrong-headed it is even as she keeps her steely gaze fixed. "And of course we'll have no reason to hold silent as to your behaviour tonight. It won't look good for the bank to be seen treating potential partners this way. It's the sort of thing that scares off
[22:06] <@Inari> further investment in the city... and encourages predators."
[22:08] <~Kotono> "All of these are factors," Mr. Winters says, as Knight DeLuca squirms. "As is why I think neither of us are well suited to taking this to the lengths we proclaim. Rather than forclosure and a tit-for-tat rumormongering campaign, we can come to an agreement."
[22:10] <Annerose> "You wanted to skip the pleasantries and be direct, so why not do it? Better late than never, I think," Annerose states. "Who are these other interests that want the temple foreclosed and the bank losing plenty of good money? And what counter offer is the bank fishing for?"
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

#ed

[20:00] <~Kotono> Erad settles in for an evening of Rock-minding and waiting. The night stretches before him...OOC: Go ahead and set up what you'll be doing.
[20:03] <@Erad> It'll probably be some time before the meeting starts, so Erad will try and meditate and pray before anything happens. On his mind specifically -- The awkward space between following the law and doing good in the world in Bahamut's name. He will, at some point, have to face this as a challenge head on and he's hoping he might receive some divine inspiration as to how to proceed... should he
[20:03] <@Erad> continue to do good even at the expense of the law? Would Bahamut forgive that?
[20:03] <~Kotono> OOC: Make a wis check, first o fall.
[20:04] <@Erad> roll 1d20+2
[20:04] <Serith> Erad roll for Serith < 8 > [d20=6]
[20:09] <~Kotono> Erad meditates, letting his mind clear itself. Calmness comes to him as he ponders such difficult questions and answers. No easy solutions present themselves, at least not until there's a disruption. There's a knocking on his inn room door, steady and persistent.
[20:11] <@Erad> Erad makes a face but stands and goes to answer the door.
[20:22] <~Kotono> A young man is there, carrying a brown paper-wrapped package. "Delivery for Erad, courtesy of a Mr. Tear." He does a double-take on seeing the dragonman as he finishes, "Holy crap!"
[20:23] <@Erad> Erad smiles at the young man. "He probably should've warned you about that part."
[20:35] <~Kotono> "Uh, yeah," he says, "You're Erad?"
[20:36] <@Erad> "Yes." Erad says, simply.
[20:39] <~Kotono> "Here," he passes the package over, "It's for you."
[20:39] <~Kotono> Rock looks up from gnawing on a big old beef bone. He sniffs the air a few times before gonig back to his gnawing.
[20:40] <@Erad> Erad will produce a gold coin and press it into the young man's palm. "Hold on a moment, in case I need to send something back." Erad says as he goes to open the package. OOC: Posted the gold
[20:43] <~Kotono> Inside the package is a bottle of wine and a note. The note reads, "Long story, but keep this safe. Wrap up and send my silver unholy symbol for Talona. It's in my second saddlebag besides my bed, with the rest of them. Watch out, the edges are sharp. Wrap it up so the errand boy doesn't see it."
[20:45] <@Erad> "Just a moment, I do have something I need you to send for me." Erad will put the bottle of wine on his own bed and take the wrapping left over to T's bag and look for the unholy symbol as requested with a frown.
[20:47] <~Kotono> It's found without difficulty. It's a silver design of a scourage and wow, those edges do look sharp.
[20:49] <@Erad> Erad will wrap the symbol up, careful not to tear the paper too badly and leave any sharp edges. He stands and offers the wrapped item back to the young man. "I'm not sure where to tell you to send this, but I suppose if Tear gave you any instructions on where to find him, I would follow those. How much do I owe you for a delivery?"
[20:50] <~Kotono> "It's paid," He says, nodding to him, "Thanks!"
[20:51] <@Erad> "All right. Thank you then, young man." Erad says with a smile. "Be careful out there."
[20:52] <~Kotono> Erad goes to settleb ack into meditation - but barely 20 minutes pass before there's another knock on the door.
[20:53] <@Erad> "Oh, come on..." Erad mumbles before he goes to answer the door. Again.
[20:54] <~Kotono> It's the same errand boy with another package. "Second verse, same as the first," he says, offering the package out. He stares less this time, though.
[20:55] <@Erad> "Are you usually this busy?" Erad asks as he goes to open the package again.
[20:57] <~Kotono> Another bottle of wine. "No, but Mr. Tear keeps buying these bottles for you." There's another note as well. It reads, "Longer story. In my third saddlebag is a set of cleric's vestments. It's wrapped with a black sash. Don't give it to the delivery boy. Once he's gone, take it to 20 Mithralshard Street, it's a winery. There's some old wooden boxes on the side of the building, hide it behind
[20:57] <~Kotono> the biggest - it has a split in the middle, you'll know it when you see it. Hurry."
[20:58] <@Erad> "Well, it looks like we're ready for the party." Erad announces. "I think your work for tonight is finished, young man. I certainly appreciate your dedication."
[20:59] <~Kotono> "Thanks," He lingers for a few moments, not saying anything.
[21:01] <@Erad> Erad smiles. "I suppose you did move quickly." He takes out another gold to give the young man. Hopefully that's not a rude tip.
[21:02] <@Erad> OOC: Posted
[21:03] <~Kotono> "Thanks!" He grins this time and waves, going off once he gets the gold.
[21:05] <@Erad> Erad will wait for him to leave before he goes to look for the cleric's vestments as requested.
[21:05] <~Kotono> They're found where T says they would be.
[21:06] <@Erad> Erad nods and stores the two bottles of wine under the covers of his bed. "Rock, stay here. Don't let anyone touch." He gestures at where he put the wine.
[21:08] <~Kotono> Rock nods. "Eat?" He says in accented common, "Eat shiny?"
[21:08] <@Erad> "No eat." Erad says. "No touch."
[21:12] <~Kotono> Rock nods slowly and goes back to his beef bone. OOC: Make a diplo check here.
[21:14] <@Erad> roll 1d20-1 Always with the diplomacy with the guy with no diplomacy
[21:14] <Serith> Erad roll for Serith < 19 > [d20=20]
[21:15] <~Kotono> OOC: Roll 1d20+19. You might actually pull this off.
[21:16] <@Erad> roll 1d20+19
[21:16] <Serith> Erad roll for Serith < 33 > [d20=14]
[21:23] <~Kotono> Rock just nods as Erad goes off. OOC: Okay, going to go drop the clothes off?
[21:24] <@Erad> OOC: Yes. I'll fly there to get there faster and also possibly avoid people in the street.
[21:26] <~Kotono> OOC: Okay.
[21:27] <~Kotono> Flying at night does provide some stealth, at least. You find yourself in the northern part of Misty Harbor, night fog rolling in and slowly stealing away visibility. You reach the winery without incident. It's hard to see much with the fog, but it's the right kind of building and there's broken boxes where T said there would be.
[21:30] <@Erad> Erad will place the clothes where he was instructed to. He'll look around for any notes or anything... is this some sort of bizzare treasure hunt?
[21:33] <~Kotono> OOC: PErception.
[21:34] <@Erad> roll 1d20+13 I also have 60ft darkvision if it matters
[21:34] <Serith> Erad roll for Serith < 25 > [d20=12]
[21:34] <~Kotono> As Erad gets them in position, he hears a side door behind him opening.
[21:35] <@Erad> Erad will simply take off into the air at the sound. It's probably best not to get caught if there's a problem.
[21:38] <~Kotono> The person that comes out is T. He goes to the box and checks it, an audible sigh of relief as he hefts the outfit. He puts it under arm and goes right back in.
[21:41] <@Erad> Erad will wait a few moments before he will return to the inn.
[21:45] <~Kotono> The return to the inn is unremarkable. What is remarkable is that you find Rock exactly where you left him. Hell, he's even dozed off, no destruction of chaos left in his wake.
[21:47] <@Erad> Erad will have to tell Inari how well he did and reward him for the good behavior. He checks to make sure the wine bottles are still where he left them, as well.
[21:48] <~Kotono> They are.
[21:49] <@Erad> This is going to make for an interesting story, Erad thinks. Well, no sense in wasting the evening, he'll try and meditate again, though knowing his luck so far...
[21:51] <~Kotono> OOC: Wis check, take 2.
[21:54] <@Erad> roll 1d20+2
[21:54] <Serith> Erad roll for Serith < 20 > [d20=18]
[21:55] <@Erad> OOC: I can only hope T is as lucky as Erad is tonight
[21:56] <~Kotono> roll 1d1000
[21:56] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 166 > [d1000=166]
[21:57] <~Kotono> As he meditates, a few simple words emerge from his mind. "What order is man's order when it goes against the grand order of Bahamut?"
[22:05] <@Erad> Erad has to question that. Bahamut does not condone those who are lawless, does he? Or is it simply a matter of doing good and adhering to Bahamut's law? Hmm... He will have to think on that some more. Does doing good trump being orderly? Is that the ultimate goal?

Corwin

#d

[20:09] <~Kotono> "Interests that don't need to know the details about you, just as you don't need to know their details," Mr. Winters says, "They're offering an enticement of 5,000 gold, in addition to other considerations worth approximately 1,000 gold. You'd have to beat that, as well as pay off the standing debt."
[20:11] <~Kotono> Helena's face tightens at that, evenly glaring at Mr. Winters.
[20:11] <Annerose> "I think I'll take my chances with the courts," Annerose says politely, "while Inari spreads the word of your untrustworthiness. Have a pleasant evening, Sir Winters, Sir DeLuca."
[20:13] <@Inari> "And Abby!" Inari smiles at the maid, putting her brandy down (not on a coaster!) before she turns and heads out.
[20:13] <~Kotono> Knight DeLuca rumbles at this - a low growl that shakes his shoulders. Mr. Winters merely nods, "If that's your choice, it's your choice. But understand that you'll be taking on a battle you can't win. What connections do you have as new players on the field, hm?"
[20:14] <~Kotono> The maid smiles right back at Inari, a slight curtesy to her. "Yes, ma'am?"
[20:15] <@Inari> "Have a pleasant evening," Inari affirms without turning back. "Make the most of your time, yes?"
[20:15] <Annerose> "You'd have known that if you'd bothered to ask properly, hmm?" Annerose answers sweetly. Then, she feels obliged to add, "Any further assaults upon my person or upon my friends will lead to a brief demonstration, so please have the presence of mind to avoid necessitating them. Let's go, Helena."
[20:16] <~Kotono> "As you wish." Mr. Winters says, "If you'd like to kindly inform the temple that we'll begin foreclosure tomorrow, it would be appreciated."
[20:17] <~Kotono> "Yes, ma'am." Abby smiles winsomely, "If that's what ma'am wants."
[20:17] <Annerose> "I'm afraid you'll have to work through the proper channels. I don't remember being on your payroll, Mister Winters," Annerose says on her way out.
[20:17] <@Inari> "We're not your errand girls," Inari seconds.
[20:18] * Annerose heads out, not stopping for any further attempts at conversation. Once outside, however, she plans to head towards the nearest lawyer.
[20:18] <@Inari> "So... once they foreclose the temple, then what?" Inari asks as they go to seek legal redress. "The bank has no use for it. Won't they just put it up for auction? Where we could then just buy it outright?"
[20:19] <~Kotono> Thus the trio head out, back into the streets. On a glance, the fact that it's past sundown and into the evening makes finding a lawyer open for business unlikely.
[20:20] <Annerose> A lawyer just happens to be one of those professions always on call, like a healer! It's all a matter of costs, Annerose believes. "I want us to have a professional look over the contract, first," she tells Inari and Helena. "Just what exactly they have signed over. Is it the building? The land? Something else? Could we, for example, buy up anything not included as collateral for one gold coin tonight?"
[20:21] <~Kotono> OOC: Make a diplo GI check to try and find one then. Others can aid.
[20:21] <@Inari> "Oh, that's a good idea!" Inari beams approvingly at Annerose showing such trickery!
[20:21] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+2 Helena does the aiding, since she's not taking point any which way
[20:21] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 10 > [d20=8]
[20:21] <@Inari> roll 1d20+18 I'll go as the main
[20:21] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 32 > [d20=14]
[20:21] <Annerose> roll 1d20+15 aiding too
[20:21] <Serith> Annerose roll for Serith < 23 > [d20=8]
[20:21] <Annerose> OOC: 36
[20:22] <~Kotono> roll 1d100+36 this matters, higher the better
[20:22] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 47 > [d100=11]
[20:22] <Annerose> "I was quite genuine when I told Mister Winters that he could not recover more than a fraction of the cost the normal way," Annerose says with a shrug. "After all, if it were so simple the priests would have sold off all the gold plating, not just parts of it."
[20:23] <~Kotono> "Whatever this other group is, they must want the temple destroyed badly," Helena points out, "It's probably a competing faith?"
[20:24] <Annerose> "Or a succubus, like that maid almost certainly was," Annerose mutters. "A lawyer might also find a loophole, such as for religious items. If the goal is to desecrate their altar, we might be able to deal with that, at least."
[20:26] <~Kotono> It takes a lot of footwork - over two hours of it. But eventually you end up in a quiet tavern on the corner of a nicer street. It's called Ricard's and features dim lighting and pleasant company.  Oh, and busty serving wenches, albeit dressed nicely. At the bar you find a richly dressed man. He's short but muscular, slamming back a shot of something strong. "Squire Mada Smith," He introduces
[20:26] <~Kotono> himself, "I deal with the law. He's bald and has a blonde beard, head polished to the point it shines. "Mad's fine."
[20:28] <Annerose> "A pleasure," Annerose says, introducing them in turn. "I'm Annerose, and these are my friends Inari and Helena. We're looking for some expeditious legal advice, and can more than compensate you for your trouble."
[20:29] <~Kotono> "This late?" He finishes his drink, "25 gold for a casual consultation," he gestures, "Pay up first. I don't deal with non citizen problems, if this is something outside the normal bounds. Ma'am," he nods slightly to Inari, "No offense meant."
[20:29] <@Inari> "Not to worry, it's far more boring than that," Inari smiles winsomely back at him.
[20:29] <~Kotono> "Boring's good," Mad says, "That means we can get done and get paid quickly."
[20:30] * Annerose places five platinum coins on the counter upon a piece of parchment detailing a copy of two contracts, the original one for the debt and the one authorizing her to make decisions and negotiate on the church's behalf. "Boring, perhaps, but with a chance to get sneaky~"
[20:32] <~Kotono> The coins are taken and tapped, then put away. He goes to study these for a time, "Seems straightforward. They're in the hole by enough to make Waukeen wince and you have the authority to deal with it on their behalf."
[20:32] <~Kotono> Helena goes to sit as well, ahnging back and listening.
[20:34] <Annerose> "It shouldn't surprise you that someone behind the scenes is manipulating the situation. The debt is going to be called upon tomorrow morning, and everything will be repossessed. I assume from glancing through the paperwork that it would be difficult to counter that, at least once we take said outside influence under consideration. But I wanted a consult on what could be sold by the temple or its priests to me before the debt is called upon, as well as a second opinion on what happens if the temple changes hands, or just the land. Or even if all the priests quit tonight."
[20:37] <~Kotono> "Unless you can pay it off tomorrow morning, you can't do much about it," Mad says, tapping part of it and then rereading. "According to this, they'd repossess the temple. What that means practically is that they own what's there when they come to take it, barring anything noted in the contract. It notes a few things - an altar, some building supplies and a few incidentals. Legally, anything
[20:37] <~Kotono> not here you could take or sell before that, and you'd be within the law as written. As for the temple, it would come with the land. The contract's written correctly there, and if they take the land, they take the temple. They have no claim on the priests or workers there and they'd have to leave tomorrow anyway."
[20:40] <@Inari> "Odd that they'd specify the altar like that," Inari says. "And that the temple just went along with it. Though I suppose they are desparate."
[20:41] <Annerose> "Mister Winters, the man in charge of dealing with this from the bank, outright told us that the bank would refuse to accept payment in full unless we bribed him with six thousand extra. Is there any way to use this for an injunction, or to gain an upper hand?"
[20:43] <~Kotono> "It is unusual, but altars are usually inlaid with precious materials and valuable." Mad hmms, "I've seen that clause before for that reason." He stops there, "That's also illegal. The bank can't refuse legal tender - as in coins of the realm or certified trade bars - to pay off a debt. They can challenge if they suspect the money is fraudulent, but it falls on them to prove it and then submit
[20:43] <~Kotono> an appeal to the Dynast." He frowns mightily, "You're chewing on a fine piece of horse manure there.  If you have sufficient funds to pay off the debt, you are legally entitled to pay it off in lieu of foreclosure."
[20:43] <@Inari> "I knew it!" Inari grins and snaps her fingers.
[20:44] <~Kotono> "Unless alternate terms were written into the contract, but I see nothing there about it. The contract is actually written fairly loosely for this - unusually so." He pauses to stroke his beard, "The terms are surprisingly lax and also explain how they got so much debt in the first place."
[20:44] <Annerose> "And one more reason we came to consult with you was to see what possible legal trick they could use to stop us."
[20:46] <~Kotono> "This is purely speculation," Mad goes on, "But I'd say someone wants them to foreclose badly. That outside influence you mentioned? If you want to stop this, the simplest way is to meet them at the temple tomorrow morning with sufficient funds and with a lawyer there to enforce the law. Unless they plan on gross criminal action, they'll have to back down then. At worst we end up in front of a
[20:46] <~Kotono> royal arbitrator or lord, and the law completely favors us at that juncture."
[20:46] <@Inari> "Could you be that lawyer?"
[20:47] * Annerose grins. "We want you to be that lawyer."
[20:47] <~Kotono> He pauses to stroke his beard, "10 gold an hour and yes, I could be," He says, "My normal rate is 5 gold, but the sudden nature means a higher fee is in order."
[20:49] <Annerose> "Sounds good. Do you mind coming with us to see Dawnlord MacGregor now? He should really not be blindsided by all this."
[20:50] <~Kotono> "25 more gold for that tonight," he says, "But yes."
[20:51] <Annerose> "One more thing. To confirm, they can refuse any other forms of payment? So if we lacked a few thousand, this would be the time to sell a suit of armor?"
[20:51] <~Kotono> "Yes," Mad says, "Legal tender of the realm - coins or trade bars. It's possible to get certain other things certified, but it's expensive and not something that can be done in a single hurried night."
[20:53] <@Inari> "I'll go visit Mr Wiser and see if I can scrape some more funds together?" Inari says. "I'll meet you at the temple? Or the Inn?"
[20:53] <~Kotono> "The temple in the morning," he rises, more gold taken. "I'll take care of affairs in the morning. Be there at dawn - just in case they strike early - and with the money."
[20:54] <Annerose> "Stop by the inn to get Rock and Erad, and let's spend the night at the temple?"
[20:54] <@Inari> "Alright, I'll try to hurry," Inari says, standing up and heading out!

Corwin

#ed

[20:06] <~Kotono> This long meditation is at last disrupted - T comes on in. He's dressed in the cleric vestments and has a bandage wrapped around his left hand, bloody. He wears ab ackpack with several bottles of wine poking out of the top, which he promptly puts down on the floor and then flops onto his bed.
[20:07] <@Erad> "You owe me an explanation." Erad says. "Several, actually."
[20:10] <~Kotono> T holds up his good hand, "Yeah. But you know what? I just stabbed myself with my own dagger," T's arm flops down. "And got paid handsomely for it. I need a few minutes."
[20:11] <@Erad> "Uh huh." Erad says as he stands and walks over to T. He puts a hand on him to heal him. OOC: Using 5 points of Lay on Hands.
[20:12] <~Kotono> "Aaaah, thanks." T undoes the bandage, with a mostly healed wound visible. "No really, and it worked great. See, I had to sell this guy on the fact that I was a disciple of Talona. So how else to do it by proving that I like pain?"
[20:13] <@Erad> "Okay, so that explains the cleric's vestments and the symbol." Erad says. "The wine?"
[20:13] <@Erad> "I think your errand boy was getting the wrong idea about our relationship." Erad adds.
[20:15] <~Kotono> T just groans loudly, "Oh for..." His eyes close and he grimaces. "No! The information mark owned that damn winery. Overpriced swill if you asked me, sold to the rich based on a label rather than quality. But buying those got my foot in the door. But I needed the stuff in my bags and I was working under pressure, so it was the best thing I could think of."
[20:17] <@Erad> "Uh huh." Erad deadpans. "Well, did you find anything interesting out, at least?"
[20:18] <~Kotono> "Yeah." He gestures, "Say, get the ladies and I'll go over it."
[20:23] <@Erad> "They're still at their... whatever it is. Meeting with the bank people." Erad says.
[20:23] <~Kotono> "Huh. Right. I'll get filled in on that later," T says, "Say, in the meantime, want some overpriced wine?"
[20:24] <@Erad> "I can't even imagine how boring that probably is." Erad says with a huff. "Wouldn't you be better off just pawning it and making some of your money back?"
[20:28] <~Kotono> "I might, but not right now. I may need him later, and if word got back? It would be like telling Annerose that she has to go skinny dip in boiling oil. I'm really not sure where that came from, think it's the wine talking. But it wouldn't go good." T says, "Besides, that's why I'll use it for bribes and gifts instead."
[20:30] <@Erad> "Then we may as well save it." Erad says. "You sure find yourself in some odd situations. Have you always been a risk taker?"
[20:31] <~Kotono> "It's not a risk if you know you'll succeed," T smiles a bit, "But I've always been good at this - talking my way out of things, playing people. It's all about people, y'know. Everything is."
[20:32] <@Erad> "Mm. I couldn't do it." Erad says. "It's a challenge enough to be silent as we pretend to be Aurilites. I couldn't lie to someone's face."
[20:33] <~Kotono> "Lying's the easest thing in the world. Telling the truth? That's tougher. You have to sell the truth. Present it right, spin it. But a lie can be anything you need, just right to get it done." A laugh comes with it, "The turth is like a big rock and a lie's water."
[20:33] <~Kotono> Rock stirs a little at this, eyes opening.
[20:33] <~Kotono> *Easiest.
[20:35] <@Erad> "Maybe for some people." Erad says, "But for those of who answer to someone who doesn't approve of that sort of thing? Well, maybe I should have you pretend to be a cleric of Bahamut for a day or two and see how you do, hm?" *Erad says with a smile and a glance over at Rock.*
[20:39] <~Kotono> "Eh, tell Bahamut that I'll give it a swing if I get my hands on one of his holy symbols." T comments idly, "So tell 'em to lay off the smiting, since I'm just faking it. Don't want to set a worse example than Auril."
[20:41] <@Erad> "I think he's willing to turn a blind eye to some unlawfulness if it's the name of greater good." Erad says. "But if I find out differently, I'll let you know. Are there any you actually follow? Besides the one that travels with us right now, I mean."
[20:49] <~Kotono> T snorts loudly, "'nari, 'nari, 'nari. Nah, she's just fun to banter with. Never put much into all the religious noise. 'nari's fun since she's here and she's amusing. Plus hey, foxes go into heat, don't they? Be a whole lotta fun when that happens," T grins ear to ear, laughing.
[20:50] <@Erad> "I am pretty sure she'll hit you for that." Erad says. "Hard."
[20:51] <~Kotono> More laughter, "That's why you don't tell her," T sits up, "C'mon, laugh a little."
[20:52] <@Erad> "You don't laugh about deadly things." Erad says with a nod. "That's how you get people like Helena to hate you like she does right now."
[20:53] <~Kotono> "Ah, she's just upset. Shouldn't have done it if she wasn't comfortable with it," T flops back, "Look, not everyone's cut out for what I do. I'd hate it if she cut a play off at the knees, but if she'sn to up to it, she shouldn't be in a play in the first place."
[20:55] <@Erad> "The day before I had my dream, I think anyone would've passed me over as a potential hero." Erad says. "Sometimes you have to give people time and motivation. So sometimes you have to realize you need to change your pace up a little for the benefit of others. I'm not going charging after that dragon, even though I know I want it dead, you know? I recognize that my allies will aid me in my
[20:55] <@Erad> quest for it in due time, and I've received forgiveness for not chasing it."
[20:57] <~Kotono> "Mmm." T makes a sound, "Guess. Still don't think Helena's cut out for it. She's a good straight man in a play. Think she spent more time with the business side than the hoodwinking side of merchant work."
[20:58] <@Erad> "Then she's a bad fit for you." Erad says. "That's an easy enough thing to fix."
[20:58] <@Erad> "I'd be a bad fit too, I don't talk to people well, I'm too blunt." Erad says. "Inari or Annerose are probably more suitable pairings for your adventures."
[21:00] <~Kotono> "Yeah, I know. You don't have it." T says, "Inari has the instincts for it. So does Annerose, but more as a face than a worker."

Corwin

#ed

[21:01] <~Kotono> As they chat, door closed, Inari approaches in her mission. OOC: Go ahead.
[21:03] <@Inari> "Boys... ah, T, you're here as well, good," Inari smiles as she comes in, still dressed in her finery. "I'm afraid we're going to have to decamp to the temple of Lathander for tonight. The bank meeting didn't go well, and we have to be prepared first thing tomorrow."
[21:04] <~Kotono> "Oh hey, 'nari," T looks over, toeing the backpack nearby, "Want some wine? Really expensive, overpriced wine?"
[21:04] <@Erad> "It doesn't sound like now's the time." Erad says as he moves to his feet. "Do we need to collect more funds?"
[21:05] <~Kotono> Rock rises and goes to Inari, sniffing. "Smell food?" he says shortly.
[21:05] <@Inari> "I prefer something stronger but it wouldn't go amiss... and no Erad, we've scraped together enough, but we need to be at the temple before dawn with the money on hand. The bank is determined to foreclose and tried to trick us that we couldn't do anything about it," she smiles now both at her instincts being correct and at Annerose's cleverness, "But we engaged a lawyer who told us otherwise,
[21:05] <@Inari> so there's still hope!"
[21:06] <~Kotono> T gets up, takes a bottle and brings it on over. "Best if I sit this one out. Trying to keep my face away from your play while working my angles."
[21:07] <@Erad> "All right." Erad nods to Inari. "I'm glad we have a legal way of putting them in their place. Let's go, then."
[21:08] <@Inari> "Alright, we'll catch up tomorrow?" Inari asks, accepting the wine. "Rock, come on, you as well."
[21:08] <~Kotono> Rock follows. OOC: The three of you heading on back?
[21:08] <@Erad> "Oh, I'll have to tell you about how well he behaved while you were gone." Erad says as they head out. OOC: Yep
[21:08] <~Kotono> roll 1d100
[21:08] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 47 > [d100=47]

Corwin

#d

[21:04] <~Kotono> roll 1d100 trip to the temple
[21:04] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 38 > [d100=38]
[21:05] <~Kotono> The trip to the temple is quiet. You slip in, Mad waiting by the door and letting you in. "MacGregor's already in on it," he says, "He's getting the acolytes in a row for tomorrow, just in case things go wrong."
[21:06] <Annerose> "Just so long as they know not to throw the first punch, and if they get hit, it's in full view of witnesses and yourself?"
[21:07] <~Kotono> "That goes without saying." Mad says, "We have out here, there's some bedrolls they found for it."
[21:09] <Annerose> "I might as well not go to bed and sleep it off tomorrow," Annerose muses. "Easier on everyone."
[21:11] <~Kotono> OOC: Okay, do any of you have any plans besides waiting/sleeping and being ready for tomorrow?
[21:11] <Annerose> OOC: That's a good plan
[21:11] <@Erad> OOC: Erad will pray to see if he gets any divine help for the coming problems!
[21:12] <Annerose> OOC: One thing! Someone should be devoted to DEing people tomorrow in case STRONG EVIL succubus shows up
[21:12] <@Erad> OOC: Erad can do that.
[21:12] <~Kotono> OOC: Okay.
[21:12] <~Kotono> OOC: Anything else?
[21:13] <Annerose> OOC: We'll play the rest by ear
[21:13] <Annerose> OOC: Actually, sorry for the lameness. Can T ensure we have an audience of concerned citizens? Or just bored people watching?
[21:14] <~Kotono> OOC: Not unless they favor later in the morning. It's just too late to really spread word effectively.
[21:14] <Annerose> OOC: He could grab random dudes in the morning and pay them a silver coin to show up?
[21:15] <~Kotono> OOC: Okay.

Corwin

[21:17] <~Kotono> Sess 26 is a dark, drizzly and cool morning. It's not much past dawn but everyone's in position. Dawnlord MacGregor and a few dozen acolytes stand before the gates, a silent vigil. The party and lawyer wait - and it isn't long before a small group approaches. Half a dozen rough, burly men are lead by a short, skinny man. He wears blue finery and a blue feathered cap. He has a long, hooked nose
[21:17] <~Kotono> and deeply pinched cheeks. In a high-pitched voice he declares, "Ah, good. Dawnlord MacGregor," He says, eyes on him as they stop at the entrance, "The Bank of Misty Harbor has determined your loan is in default and will foreclose immediately."
[21:18] <~Kotono> "No," Mad smoothly steps forward, reaching to him for a handshake. "Squire Mada Smith, lawyer," he says, shaking the blue-clad man's hand firmly. "I'm afraid that's not what is going to happen, because we have full payment in here in legal tender."
[21:19] <Annerose> "You are quite welcome to count it," Annerose offers sweetly, as that would give T more time to gather onlookers for them.
[21:19] <@Erad> Erad will detect evil as he was requested, staying silent otherwise.
[21:19] <~Kotono> The blue clad man is not evil. All of the burly men with him are, and one radiates overwhelming evil.
[21:20] <@Erad> Erad clears his throat loudly and then coughs into the back of his palm once.
[21:20] <~Kotono> The man's eyes rise at this, but before he can say anything, "As we both know, it is legal to pay the debt in full up to the declaration of foreclosure, and that's what we're doing. Please, count it and note it is all in legal tender of the realm." He steps aside, "Annerose, Inari, if you would?"
[21:21] <@Inari> Inari of course stands guard over the chest with all the money, back in her usual attire, albeit without her nicely embroidered mantle anymore. But it paid for this, so she smiles and opens up the chest revealing piles of trade bars and platinum coins with just a few gold left over to cover the exact amount. "It's all here."
[21:22] <~Kotono> There is silence as the blue clad man goes to examine it. He slowly counts it once and then twice. He rises with his cheeks virtually sucked into his mouth, "It....seems to be in order," he finally says.
[21:23] * Annerose nods slightly at Erad, standing there in her blue armor. "Lovely!" she voices. "Then what remains is for you to draft our receipt and declare the debt null and void in writing, I believe?"
[21:23] <@Inari> "As expected," Inari says with justified smug.
[21:23] <~Kotono> "It is." Mad takes out a scroll of parchment, "Here is a form to acknowledge payment of the debt. If you'll sign here, here and here?" He points, "So that even if the funds are lost, the payment is confirmed?"
[21:23] <@Erad> Erad will just spend his time trying to single out the one which is radiating the most evil of the auras in case they try something.
[21:24] <~Kotono> This one is unremarkable - average, really. Just rough, brown hair, brown eyes and plain clothes. But his gaze is notably more active than the others, subtly sweeping about - until it fixes on Erad. His eyes meet his, a lon gmoment of silence.
[21:25] <~Kotono> Signures are slowly given, the blue-clad man's hand shaking slightly. "Yes, yes," he says, voice even higher pitched now, "I must...say it is in order," he echos."You two," he gestures, "Get it."
[21:25] <@Erad> Erad just stands there and keeps his eyes locked. Not even a fake, polite smile.
[21:25] <Annerose> "Please be careful!" Annerose bids them. "It is a great deal of money and only a handful of guards, after all."
[21:25] <~Kotono> A cheer comes - the acolytes whoop and holler. Dawnlord MacGregor is smiling widely, "As you see, Lathander provides. You're welcome to return later to enjoy the services if you like, sirs."
[21:26] <~Kotono> The gaze on him is relentless as well. Slowly the man licks his lips, before going to be one of the two carrying the chest.
[21:26] <@Inari> "And the city has been so unsafe of late," Inari agrees. "But please, convey our regards to Squire Winters? It truly has been a pleasure."
[21:26] <@Erad> "I'm sure they have a trick or two up their sleeves if they run into trouble." Erad says without taking his eyes off the obviously-not-really-a-man man.
[21:26] <Annerose> "It would not have been possible without his support," Annerose agrees.
[21:27] <~Kotono> No response, just a curt gesture as he directs the rough men out, carrying the payment.
[21:27] <@Erad> "Pretty brazen of them to walk that creature up here." Erad mutters.
[21:28] <~Kotono> Cheers - a great chorus of them from the Lathanderites. Helena's just smiling by the end of it and adds, "What creature?"
[21:29] <~Kotono> Rock's stayed in the back for all of it, gnawing on his breakfast - a big old bone of meat.
[21:29] <@Inari> "Bye Abby!" Inari calls, taking her cue from Erad's comment. She doubts there's more than one succubus working for Mr Winters after all.
[21:29] <@Erad> "The one Annerose mentioned. The person... well, they had an overwhelming aura of evil." Erad says, almost spitting. "It must've been who you were talking about."
[21:29] <~Kotono> Mad nods once they're gone, taking out another scroll. He passes this one to Annerose, "My bill," he says, offering his other hand out. "A pleasure doing business with you."
[21:30] <@Erad> "I wish they had tried something, to be honest." Erad says with a small grin. "It would've been fitting."
[21:30] <Annerose> "A pleasure indeed. I'll be sure to recommend your services!"
[21:30] <~Kotono> OOC: Loot post of bill.
[21:30] <@Inari> "I don't know, the look on his face was good enough for me," Inari grins, rocking back on her heels.
[21:32] <@Erad> "Hah, I suppose you're right." Erad says. "...Well now what?" He lets out a breath. "Start the outreach programs?"
[21:33] <~Kotono> "Maybe this afternoon?" Helena glances back at a smile, "Let them celebrate first?"
[21:34] <Annerose> "Maybe keep a guard around to make sure the third party doesn't torch the place in anger?" Annerose suggests. "I'm going to take a nap."
[21:34] <@Inari> "I can celebrate and be on guard," Inari says selflessly, going to join the priests.
[21:34] <@Erad> "Getting too caught up in that got them where they were in the first place." Erad says, but then sighs. "Oh! Before I forget to tell you all. There's a door inside the wagon now, it goes into a small bedroom."
[21:34] <~Kotono> "Yeah, that does sound good," Helena says, yawning as well. "We made friends here and got somewhere we can rely on. I'd call today a big win!"
[21:36] <@Erad> "I'll guard the place." Erad says. "Go get some sleep."
[21:36] <~Kotono> OOC: So what's the party's plans?
[21:36] <Annerose> OOC: Wake up, ensure temple is guarded, see Emmia
[21:37] <~Kotono> OOC: Helena will do likewise. She needs sleep.
[21:38] <@Inari> OOC: hang around the temple to celebrate and offer healing services to anyone who comes by/beat up any bad guys that come by
[21:38] <~Kotono> OOC: Okay, since Erad just said he's guarding too. You two in here, Annerose and Helena into #evil.
[21:39] <@Erad> OOC: I'll do likewise as Inari but fly around to make sure no one's doing anything bad. If I get tired I can remove the fatigue from myself.
[21:39] <~Kotono> OOC: Okay.

Corwin

#d

[21:40] <~Kotono> It's early afternoon, still a dark and dank day as Inari and Erad keep guard. Rock's wandering around near Inari as well, as Helena and Annerose are off and gone to see Emmia. A celebration is still going in full force as...OOC: Perception you two.
[21:41] <@Erad> roll 1d20+13
[21:41] <Serith> Erad roll for Serith < 22 > [d20=9]
[21:41] <@Inari> roll 1d20+13
[21:41] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 30 > [d20=17]
[21:42] <~Kotono> Inari notices it - she's about 20ft away from the front gate. It's a foul smell - like rotting beef. At the same time, her keen eyes catch a faint shimmer going through the gateway, pausing there a few moments, before starting to head for her.
[21:42] <~Kotono> Meanwhile, Rock's about 40ft away, aimlessly wandering and gnawing on a bone, while Erad is 30ft away and 60ft up
[21:42] <~Kotono> .
[21:44] <@Inari> "Stop right there!" Inari says, levelling her spear at the source of the spell and casting animalistic power, making her fur spike out and her teeth grow bigger, a feral gleam in her eye. "We have an intruder!"
[21:44] <~Kotono> "Hah," It's a horrifying sound - like gurgling meat and bones. But it doesn't stop - it instead charges right at Inari! OOC: Init, you prevented an ambush by Mr. Invisible.

[21:45] <@Erad> roll 1d20+2
[21:45] <Serith> Erad roll for Serith < 9 > [d20=7]
[21:45] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+2 ???
[21:45] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 22 > [d20=20]
[21:45] <@Inari> roll 1d20+4
[21:45] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 6 > [d20=2]
[21:45] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+1 Rock
[21:45] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 16 > [d20=15]
[21:46] * Kotono changes topic to '???(22)>Rock(16)>Erad(9)>Inari(6)'
[21:46] <~Kotono> Before Inari can even react, it is on her, something comign right at her!
[21:46] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+14 (+2 charge) flatfooted AC unless uncannies
[21:46] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 22 > [d20=8]
[21:46] <@Inari> OOC: 13
[21:47] <~Kotono> roll 3d6+10
[21:47] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 22 > [d6=3,5,4]
[21:49] <~Kotono> Blood. Pain. Something slices deep into Inari's stomach, knocking the wind out of her. It looms over her - an oversized human with a cow's horned head. Its face is nothing but teeth, green drool leaking out. "That's it!" It rasps loudly, "EVERYONE DIES!" It has a wickedly huge axe, edge wet with Inari's lifeblood. "Die die die die DIE!" Its body is covered in putrid red scales, with flicker with
[21:49] <~Kotono> flames and seem half rotted. Its eyes are orbs of fire, which constantly leak green fluid down its face, like it is crying. Otherwise is only wears a loincloth that doesn't hide much - did not need to see THAT, really. OOC: K:A or K:P here is relevant, y'all.
[21:50] <@Inari> OOC: lack both
[21:50] <~Kotono> OOC: Erad?
[21:50] <@Erad> roll 1d20+6
[21:50] <Serith> Erad roll for Serith < 12 > [d20=6]
[21:50] <@Erad> OOC: K:P for reference
[21:51] <~Kotono> OOC: Swing and a miss.
[21:51] <~Kotono> OOC: Rock's up.
[21:52] <~Kotono> Rock turns before he charges it head long, "No! No food hurt!" He snarls, leaping at him with claws out.
[21:52] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+11 (+2 charge, -2 PA) claw
[21:52] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 15 > [d20=4]
[21:52] <~Kotono> But its like clawing iron, scratching off its impossibly well defined and scaled abs. He tries to bite after, but it's more like a baby gnawing on a bottle. OOC: Erad.
[21:54] <@Erad> Erad's claws drip with acid as he flies down to try and take a piece of this thing out! OOC: Flying down to just punch the hell out of it
[21:54] <@Erad> roll 1d20+9+5 also trying to smite evil it
[21:54] <Serith> Erad roll for Serith < 22 > [d20=8]
[21:55] <~Kotono> OOC: Hit.
[21:55] <~Kotono> OOC It has reach on you, okay with an AoO?
[21:55] <@Erad> OOC: Yeah, AC is 20 unless this is some sort of dragon
[21:55] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+12 AoO times AC?
[21:55] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 29 > [d20=17]
[21:55] <~Kotono> roll 3d6+10
[21:55] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 21 > [d6=3,3,5]
[21:56] <~Kotono> OOC: Go onto damage.
[21:56] <@Erad> OOC: Okay
[21:57] <@Erad> roll 2d8+2+5+1d6+2d6 the 5 is smite, 1d6 is extra to evil and 2d6 is acid
[21:57] <Serith> Erad roll for Serith < 19 > [d8=1,2][d6=2,1,6]
[21:58] <~Kotono> The creature whirls, axe cutting deep into Erad's leg as he comes down. But he punches it right in the face, acid sizzling with a direct hit. But it leaves no acid burn, but the creature's face glows white, making the flesh writhe and boil away into green goo. It grins at this and laughs, shaking all over as...OOC: Inari.
[22:00] <@Inari> "I'll be counting on you, Rock," Inari says, ducking behind the troll and casting aid to make him hit better and provide him a little protection in case those flames aren't just for show!
[22:00] <@Inari> roll 1d20+13 acrobatics to avoid AoO
[22:00] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 17 > [d20=4]
[22:00] <~Kotono> OOC: It's out of AoOs, doesn't ahve CR.
[22:00] <@Inari> roll 1d8+6 temp hp for Rock and +1 to attack, assuming I don't die first
[22:00] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 8 > [d8=2]
[22:01] <~Kotono> Rock is bolstered and aided, glowing with eldritch energies. It whirls on Erad and grins sickly, "DIE DIE DIIIEEEE!" it chants in Common, then strange, roiling words, chants something else. It then swings, turning his savagery on him. OOC: What language do you all speak?
[22:01] <@Erad> OOC: Common and Draconic
[22:03] <@Inari> OOC: Common, sylvan, terran, celestial, goblin, giant
[22:03] <~Kotono> OOC: Neither of you know it. Okay.
[22:03] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+10 (-2 PA) Erad axe
[22:03] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 28 > [d20=18]
[22:03] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+5 (-2 PA) Erad axe
[22:03] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 23 > [d20=18]
[22:03] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+5 bite
[22:03] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 14 > [d20=9]
[22:03] <~Kotono> OOC: AC?
[22:05] <@Erad> OOC: 20
[22:05] <~Kotono> roll 3d6+14+3d6+14
[22:05] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 48 > [d6=3,5,1,2,6,3]
[22:06] <~Kotono> The assault is too much. Erad is torn into, the beast ripping into him with a glee as his blood is spilt. Erad falls to the ground, body ripped and torn, lifesblood poolling out. AS he blacks out, Rock matches that fury, leaping onto him and clawing away, "EAT!"
[22:06] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+14 (+1 aid, +2 rage) claw 1
[22:06] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 30 > [d20=16]
[22:06] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+14 (+1 aid, +2 rage) claw 2
[22:06] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 29 > [d20=15]
[22:06] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+9 (+1 aid, +2 rage) bite
[22:06] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 25 > [d20=16]
[22:07] <~Kotono> roll 1d6+10+1d6+10+2d6+15+1d6+5
[22:07] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 60 > [d6=1,5,4,4,6]
[22:08] <~Kotono> The creature is torn into just the same, sides torn as Rock latches and and rends. Rotting flesh goes and green blood pours out, the troll biting in and taking big chunks out of the creature's intestines. It roars in laughing fury, as...OOC: Inari.
[22:10] <@Inari> This is certainly a bad situation, either her or Erad could be killed seemingly at a whim by this creature, and no amount of healing she can provide in the short term will fix that. Backing off further behind Rock, she hurls some foxfire at the beast, hoping that'll be enough to put the demented thing down before it's too late!
[22:11] <@Inari> roll 1d20+8 ranged touch
[22:11] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 27 > [d20=19]
[22:11] <@Inari> roll 6d6 fire
[22:11] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 20 > [d6=6,1,4,1,3,5]
[22:11] <@Inari> roll 1d4 recharge
[22:11] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 1 > [d4=1]
[22:11] <~Kotono> The direct hit rocks the beast back, setting it ablaze. But still it stands, standing strong - as the doors to the temple open. Dawnlord MacGregor is there, clutching his holy symbol, "The wicked attack the temple!" he declares. OOC: Joining init.
[22:11] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+7
[22:12] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 17 > [d20=10]
[22:12] * Kotono changes topic to '???(22)>Dawnlord MacGregor(17)>Rock(16)>Erad(9)>Inari(6)'
[22:12] <~Kotono> The beast whirls on Rock, the two locked in deadlys truggle, as axe meets claws.
[22:12] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+10 axe (-2 PA)
[22:13] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 19 > [d20=9]
[22:13] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+5 axe (-2 PA)
[22:13] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 15 > [d20=10]
[22:13] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+5 bite
[22:13] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 17 > [d20=12]
[22:13] <~Kotono> roll 3d6+14 nonlethal
[22:13] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 25 > [d6=2,4,5]
[22:14] <~Kotono> Rock catches the axe with his face - its split open but only a little bit of blood comes, the gash and brains resealing and repairing almost instantly. Advancing 10ft, Dawnlord MacGregor holds up his holy symbol, which catches the light and diffuses it all around him - including over Erad's wounded body, just at the edge.
[22:14] <~Kotono> roll 5d6 healing from turn undead
[22:14] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 13 > [d6=2,4,1,3,3]
[22:15] <@Erad> OOC: Just Erad or Inari too?
[22:15] <~Kotono> OOC: Just Erad, didn't wanna hela Mr. Axe.
[22:15] <~Kotono> This stirs Erad - who awakens from his brief blackout, wounded but still alive. He's up, if just barely, lying prone and awake. Meanwhile Rock continues his assault, mouth full of tainted flesh.
[22:16] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+14
[22:16] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 18 > [d20=4]
[22:16] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+14
[22:16] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 15 > [d20=1]
[22:16] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+9 bite
[22:16] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 24 > [d20=15]
[22:16] <~Kotono> roll 1d6+10+1d6+5
[22:16] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 21 > [d6=1,5]
[22:17] <~Kotono> There's a wet crunch as the creature's neck is torn open, Rock biting a big chunk of it out. Blood flows - before it turns pale gray. The creature turns the gray of weathered stone, before crumbling to a fine ash. Its axe and loincloth remain behind, but nothing else. OOC: Free act.

[22:19] <@Inari> "Good work, Rock!" Inari praises the troll for his fine defence of her body, moving back over to him and Erad and casting mass lesser vigor to heal them all some.
[22:20] <@Inari> OOC: 32hp healed over 16 rounds
[22:20] <@Erad> Erad groans and pulls himself back to his feet. "That was... ...ugh. Embarassing." Erad says. "Rock, Inari, thank you."
[22:20] <~Kotono> The Dawnlord comes over, "Unthinkable," he says, "Such a creature mounting a brazen assault!"
[22:21] <@Erad> "What the hell was it?" Erad asks as he kneels back down. He casts Detect Evil over the loincloth and axe, just in case.
[22:21] <@Inari> "I hardly think it was capable of magic itself, there was a mage who helped by casting invisibility on it before it attacked," Inari says. "But with such a distinctive scent, it shouldn't be hard to follow back the path it took," she wrinkles her nose unhappily at said scent, giving Erad a bit more healing since he took the worst by far.
[22:21] <@Inari> roll 3d8+6 Erad Healz
[22:21] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 26 > [d8=8,5,7]
[22:22] <~Kotono> There's faint and fading evil all around its remains. The axe isn't evil nor is the loincloth.
[22:26] <@Erad> "I don't think this was the creature we ran into earlier, at least." Erad says as he stands up. He'll hoist the axe up too. "Inari, I somehow doubt it, but are either of these magical?"
[22:26] <@Inari> "Let me have a look..." she casts detect magic, grimacing at the loincloth.
[22:26] <@Inari> OOC: take 10 for 22 on spellcraft if applicable
[22:27] <~Kotono> OOC: Neither are magical.

Corwin

#ed

[21:39] <~Kotono> roll 1d100 trip to Emmia
[21:39] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 85 > [d100=85]
[21:43] <~Kotono> Emmia is found eating bread. She looks rather paler and shakier, but she's eating in her house.
[21:44] <Annerose> "Hello," Annerose greets her as she steps inside. "Pardon the intrusion, but I think we just made a move along one of the paths."
[21:45] <~Kotono> "So you did," Emmia murmurs, "What path do you wish to see today?"
[21:46] <Annerose> "What you told Erad and I arose my curiousity," Annerose admits. "It seems like the room we found in our carriage is a way into one of the paths? If so, could you tell us more about it?"
[21:51] <~Kotono> "I will look..." Emmia is silent for a little time. "It is a path. A gift. One who crossed your path and acknowledges you are one of the last hopes. As you grow, its path shall grow, like the great tree that never dies."
[21:53] <Annerose> "How wondrous," Annerose murmurs. "Thank you, that does help with the curiousity. More directly, can you help us maximize any benefits to us, the temple and Misty Harbor from our actions this morning? Any would-be allies we could approach over this, or community programs we should restart first? The true nature of its enemies, so we know who to look out for?"
[21:54] <~Kotono> "I have looked down one path. I do not have the sight for another, not today," Emmia says, "The wagon is alive, like a tree. It will grow with you. Its path and yours are tied together."
[21:56] <Annerose> "What about the horses?
[21:56] <~Kotono> "They are part of the wagon." Emmia says slowly, "Like branches are part of a tree."
[22:01] <Annerose> "That makes sense! Do you know, by chance, if this means we'll get to meet someone on the same path? Perhaps someone following our benefactor?"
[22:02] <~Kotono> "It may be so...seeing that far on the paths is hard for me now." Emmia coughs several times, "I fear I do not have much time left in this life."
[22:03] <Annerose> "In that case, I'm glad we managed to pull it off. That way, you don't have to take it all on faith, but the results are starting right here!"
[22:04] <~Kotono> A laugh - one that brings raspy cries with it, but a laugh. "It is...it is a gift, in its way."
[22:09] <Annerose> "Yeah. Do you want to visit it yourself? I could give you a hand."
[22:10] <~Kotono> "No." A slow shake of her head, "This is where I want to die...and it may be today, in a week or a month, but it's soon."
[22:10] <~Kotono> Helena sighs, "I hope it's not too quickly. We're just getting to know you."
[22:11] <Annerose> "And you're getting to know us! It's different when we're together like this, isn't it?"
[22:19] <~Kotono> Emmia laughs - a long thing, before she gasps. With a grimace a hand goes to her chest, strangled words as she gasps for air.
[22:19] <~Kotono> Helena freezes a moment before she gets up, rushing towards her, "Emmia!"
[22:21] * Annerose is right there as well! "Emmia, breathe, just breathe!"
[22:21] <~Kotono> Gasps for air - but nothing. She manages to get out, "Time...my...path...time..." Her grimace is intense as she's sweating, cold and clammy. "Thank...you..."
[22:25] <Annerose> "Thank you," Annerose returns, holding Emmia's hand. There is nothing profound to say, not with where Emmia is going, so she is left with brushing the old woman's hair soothingly and being there for her.
[22:25] <~Kotono> "Thank...You...High..." Emmia gets out a few more words before she goes still, eyes staring out at nothing.

Corwin

[19:56] <~Sunshine_Ko> The aftermath of battle. Inari slips away to sell an axe real quick, returning thereafter. MacGregor, Rock, Inari and Erad are at the front of the church. Rock is currently sniffing the coinbag he was given, while Annerose and Helena return...OOC: Go haead, y'all.
[19:57] <Annerose> "It was her time," Annerose says simply. "All we can do now is respect Emmia's final wishes."
[19:59] <~Sunshine_Ko> Helena comes in, "She had a good, long life."
[19:59] <@Inari> "It's not food but you can exchange the coins for food," Inari patiently explains to Rock before turning to greet Annerose and Helena as they return. "Oh, she died? I'm sorry to hear that," she says. "But yes, that is what matters," she agrees with Helena's sentiment.
[19:59] <@Inari> "Oh, also we were attacked by a strange smelly demon monster."
[20:00] <Annerose> "I figured there would be more than one," Annerose admits. "Sorry for not being here for this, but I felt I was needed where I was."
[20:01] <@Erad> Erad nods to Annerose. "I'm glad she was surrounded by the people she waited so long for."
[20:01] <~Sunshine_Ko> Rock grunts at this and in Giant "Gold. Food." He says, jangling the coin pouch, raising it up to his open mouth.
[20:02] <~Sunshine_Ko> MacGregor then spekas up, "Lathander rest her. Does she need funeral rites?"
[20:02] <@Inari> "You couldn't have known, and it sounds as if you were in the right pla..." she trails off as Rock starts to eat the gold. "Well... yes I suppose you can do that as well..." she concedes weakly to his earth elemental nature.
[20:02] <@Erad> "I wonder, though... There are two parts to her final wish. I'd like, if possible, to honor Savras with them, but also keep her body from being taken by Umberlee." Erad says.
[20:02] <Annerose> roll 1d20+11 K:R rites for burial at sea
[20:02] <Serith> Annerose roll for Serith < 14 > [d20=3]
[20:03] <~Sunshine_Ko> CHOMP! A horrid screetch of tearing metal is heard, Rock chewing the coins and swallowing. It drowns out conversation for sevreal moments, before Rock burp up a few chewed coin chunks.
[20:03] <~Sunshine_Ko> Helena just stares at it, slowly shaking her head as her hand goes down to her coin pouch.
[20:04] <~Sunshine_Ko> Annerose can only recall a few bits for Umberlee.
[20:05] <@Inari> "Did it taste better than meat?" Inari asks, since one gold coin can buy a large quantity of meat.
[20:05] <~Sunshine_Ko> "No." Rock replies in Giant, "But food."
[20:05] <@Erad> roll 1d20+6 K:R for some way to throw something into the sea but not let Umberlee have it?
[20:05] <Serith> Erad roll for Serith < 23 > [d20=17]
[20:06] <~Sunshine_Ko> "So. Funeral rites." MacGregor clears his throat. Meanwhile, Erad knows that a body can be properly consecrated to avoid Umberlee's touch. Costs a bit in reagents and materials, though.
[20:07] <@Inari> "Well keep the rest, you can trade them for meat later," Inari suggests.
[20:07] <Annerose> "She wished to be buried at sea," Annerose volunteers.
[20:08] <@Erad> roll 1d20+6 K:R on any final rites he might somehow have heard of for followers Savras or maybe Mystra in general?
[20:08] <Serith> Erad roll for Serith < 19 > [d20=13]
[20:08] <@Erad> Erad nods to Annerose. "I think it'd be possible to consecrate her body in such a way that Umberlee could never have it. I don't know how much that would run, but I'd be willing to pay it... she deserved that much, at least."
[20:09] <Annerose> "Can we count on your help?" Annerose asks MacGregor.
[20:10] <~Sunshine_Ko> Erad can also recall some basic rituals - fairly brief ones about the future and honoring it, but he knows some.
[20:10] <~Sunshine_Ko> "You even need to ask after today," The Dawnlord says with a smile.
[20:12] * Annerose smiles back at him, before she grows sober. "We should bring Emmia's body back here, so let's do what we can now. We'll also need to hire a boat...."
[20:13] <~Sunshine_Ko> OOC: Okay, so that's your plan? Get her body consecrated (they'll cover the cost), hire a boat and go out?
[20:14] <Annerose> OOC: Yes. Find a good place, say a few words, go back
[20:18] <~Sunshine_Ko> OOC: Quick diplo for GI to find ship info. Someone can lead and up to two can aid her. I'd say him or her, but I doubt Erad's taking point on a Charisma check.
[20:18] <@Erad> OOC: God, I hope not.
[20:19] <@Inari> roll 1d20+17 I'll do it
[20:19] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 32 > [d20=15]
[20:19] <@Erad> OOC: Although he's had a surprising amount of success with it thus far...
[20:19] <Annerose> roll 1d20+15 help!
[20:19] <Serith> Annerose roll for Serith < 35 > [d20=20]
[20:19] <~Sunshine_Ko> roll 1d20+2 Helena aids too then
[20:19] <Serith> Sunshine_Ko roll for Serith < 14 > [d20=12]
[20:21] <~Sunshine_Ko> It's one thing to get a ship. It's another to find a good one that's the right size. It takes some work, but soon you come to a small, pierside shop. It's a bit foggy here as you come in, a small place decorated with ship parts and a single old man there. "A small ship? 5 gold a day if you can manage to get it out yourself. 8 if you need to hire a sailor to sail it."
[20:21] <Annerose> "Eight gold it is. We'll only need it for the day, I think."
[20:22] <~Sunshine_Ko> OOC: Post the expense real quick in that case.
[20:23] <Annerose> OOC: done
[20:23] <~Sunshine_Ko> roll 1d100
[20:23] <Serith> Sunshine_Ko roll for Serith < 59 > [d100=59]
[20:25] <~Sunshine_Ko> It's late in the afternoon by the time the party's out into the sea. The shore becomes farther and farther away as you sail out, Emmia's body wrapped in white linens. The sailor is a tight-lipped fellow, unremarkable save for his bald head. Despite a bit of fog, it's not too hard to go out, now in the open sea...OOC: Go ahead.
[20:26] <Annerose> "Please take us somewhere with a nice view of the city, fog allowing?" Annerose requests.
[20:27] <~Sunshine_Ko> A simple nod and he directs you. The fog hurts a bit - it's just lingering this afternoon. But you can see Misty Harbor from here - the docks and tall-masted ships. The city, largely flat save for a few hills. The palace, its spires rising up along with its towers.
[20:28] <Annerose> "Thank you. I think this will do fine, don't you, Erad?"
[20:31] <~Sunshine_Ko> Helena stands there, head bowed quietly.
[20:32] <@Inari> Inari stands alongside Helena to show her respects.
[20:33] <~Sunshine_Ko> Rock just focuses on the water as he stays in the middle of the boat.
[20:37] <@Erad> Erad nods to Annerose. "Yes." He clears his throat once. "I'm not very good at this sort of thing... but... Let me see."
[20:39] <@Erad> "We didn't know Emmia for very long, but she impacted each of our paths in a positive way. It's at this time that we give our thanks and honor the future that Savras showed to her. I hope that we can all follow the paths she showed us to do more good in this world." Erad says, looking rather sheepish after he's done. "I'm going to pray to Savras to make sure he knows what an impact she had on
[20:39] <@Erad> all of us."
[20:41] <Annerose> "Things will keep getting better," Annerose says after Erad is done. "I'm sure that wherever she is, whatever form Emmia's soul takes in the afterlife, she will be happy to watch over them."
[20:44] <~Sunshine_Ko> "She'll be remembered for helping to make a better tomorrow." Helena bows her head, "After all of this...I think what I want is the better paths she talked about. She suffered, like so many others we've seen in our short time together."
[20:46] <@Erad> Erad nods and moves over to her body, kneeling down to say a quiet prayer. "Savras, I do not follow your path as diligently as Emmia did, but I hope you acknowledge this humble servant of Bahamut's attempts to honor your own servant's. We thank you and her for all you have done for us." He will stand and move to carry the body over unless anyone else has anything to say.
[20:46] <@Inari> "She had a hard life, but she tried to make things better for everyone. That's to be respected, and I hope rewarded," Inari adds her own little bit.
[20:47] <~Sunshine_Ko> Emmia's body lies there. Her face can be seen - wrinkles relaxed, no sign of pain or trauma anymore. Just a calm, dead face at rest.
[20:48] <@Erad> Erad will lift it up and get it as close to the water as he can before releasing her.
[20:48] <~Sunshine_Ko> A gentle splash heralds Emmia's descend beneath the waves, sinking down into the waters. She soon slips out of sight, the endless churning of the sea taking her to the bottom.
[20:49] <@Erad> Erad nods. "I think we're done here."
[20:50] <~Sunshine_Ko> roll 1d100-10
[20:50] * Annerose runs her hand over the waves, covering the area with snowflakes that linger for a few moments before melting away.
[20:50] <Serith> Sunshine_Ko roll for Serith < -4 > [d100=6]
[20:52] <~Sunshine_Ko> From here, returning to town and then your inn rooms is without incident. Dinner is uneventful and the party heads up to their rooms. But as you go by, the two splitting away to go to the proper rooms, the door to the ladies' inn room opens. T's head pokes out, "In here," he says, "And don't laugh, there was a hell of a good reason for this."
[20:52] <Annerose> "I make no promises."
[20:53] <@Inari> "Laugh about what?" Inari asks, heading in.
[20:53] <~Sunshine_Ko> Helena stops and follows along, "Yeah, sounds like a story in the offing."
[20:53] <~Sunshine_Ko> Rock just follows, still gnawing on a bone from dinner.
[20:55] <~Sunshine_Ko> WIthin is T. He's clad in a pale blue ball gown, all fancy and with the whole works - some jewelry, girdle and heels. "Turns out one of my noble contacts has some...unusual tastes." He grimaces, "So how the hell do you get out of all these damn corsets and layers?"
[20:56] <@Inari> "How... how did you get into them?" Inari asks, looking a bit stunned.
[20:56] <~Sunshine_Ko> Helena takes one look and sputters, which turns into laughter.
[20:57] <@Erad> "You really are unlucky, aren't you?" Erad says rather grimly.
[20:57] <~Sunshine_Ko> "They had helpers," T grumps, grimacing, "Buuuuut I did too good. He told me to keep the damn dress and wear it out. By the way, minus one invisibility oil. Plus side, I think this is a fairly fancy dress, if any of you want it."
[20:57] <Annerose> "Please hold still," Annerose instructs T, starting to methodically help him out of the gown without ruining it.
[20:58] <@Erad> "Did you find anything useful in all of this?" Erad asks with a tilt of his head. "Or just more overpriced wine?"
[20:59] <~Sunshine_Ko> Getting T out isn't hard - just tedious. He's soon down to his undergarments, which thankfully were left normal. He finally sighs and plops down onto the nearest bed, "You know how nobles can get away with doing what they want, even if it's socially unacceptable for lower classes? That."
[21:00] <@Erad> "I'm not sure I'd qualify that as useful." Erad counters.
[21:00] <~Sunshine_Ko> OOC: Loot post.
[21:00] <Annerose> "What did you end up using the oil for?" Annerose asks curiously, cleaning the gown with Prestidigitation.
[21:00] <@Inari> "It does help to harden our resolve at least?"
[21:00] <~Sunshine_Ko> :Getting home, since I wasn't going to walk and be seen like this," T gestures, "Anyway, have some good information. Give me a half hour to get cleaned upa nd fed, and I'll meet all of you in here."
[21:01] <Annerose> "You are an idiot."
[21:01] <~Sunshine_Ko> "A man has limits," T shoots back, 'sides, I'd draw way too much attention from doing it. It's the opposite of being low key."
[21:01] <Annerose> "It would have been cheaper to tear it off!"
[21:02] <~Sunshine_Ko> "Thanks for the dress, T," T retorts, rolling his eyes, "It's just my color!" He raises his voice into a poor falsetto for that.
[21:03] <@Erad> "If he tore it off, he'd have been coming home mostly naked." Erad says. "So I think it probably worked out for the best, considering the... er... special circumstances."
[21:05] <@Inari> "Well so long as you had a good time, that's the main thing," Inari teases.
[21:05] <Annerose> "I suppose if the story is particularly good...."
[21:06] <~Sunshine_Ko> T just stomps off, ignoring Helena's laughter. Soon enough he comes back dressed normally, carrying a plate of food. He takes a few bites before saying, "So," he begins, "All of you remember the last chat, right?"
[21:07] <Annerose> "I don't think I'll be in a mood to laugh once we get into that, so...." Annerose laughs.
[21:08] <@Inari> "Yes?" Inari prods him to get on with it, now sitting off the side of her bed.
[21:13] <~Sunshine_Ko> "So I've been doing some more digging," he says, "First of all, found out another potential allied family. The Holums is a house of Knights who fell out of favor in the previous war. John Holum got himself killed and his troops routed. They're a bit west of Warmfolk - we weren't that far from some of their lands, actually. They're also not so fond of Umberlee, the current head of the house
[21:13] <~Sunshine_Ko> Johnathan Holum - yes, creative namers there - has had some sparring with Aurilites who head up from the south."
[21:14] <@Inari> "Might find some support there when we go down to take care of that problem, then," Inari says, sounding pleased.
[21:14] <Annerose> "Are they in some form of immediate danger like the other potential allies?" Annerose inquires. "From the war or polical manipulations?"
[21:16] <~Sunshine_Ko> "No, they're just marginalized. They aren't that rich and don't have any real influence in the palace now," T says, in between bites of food. "They're a reasonably old family too, just one that's fallen out of favor rather than growing stronger."
[21:18] <~Sunshine_Ko> Helena settles down, "So they could be allies down there. Really useful if we swing that way again, yeah."
[21:18] * Annerose nods in approval.
[21:20] <~Sunshine_Ko> "So anyway, that winery thing. It's a noble operation, selling to the rich and all that. Overpriced swill if you ask me." A pause to drink down his mug of ale, "Aaaah! Much better. The owner's a complete waste - give him a bit of a show and he crumples up. No real guts if you poke him hard enough, but I got some good information from him."
[21:21] <@Inari> "Well, let's hear it?"
[21:24] <~Sunshine_Ko> "First of all, Jack Maggen patronizes them. He's nice on the surface, but isn't afraid to show his true nature. Anyway, once I sold my snitch on myself being one of Talona's flock and made a few threats, he spilled. He's been buying wine and shipping it to an address," T reaches into his pocket, "And I have it. Worth checking out in case it's an Aurilite hangout."
[21:26] <~Sunshine_Ko> "If it is, we can deal with them," Helena looks up, "We still owe them for all the trouble they've made fo rus."
[21:26] <Annerose> "Just wine? Or something under the pretext of overpriced wine?"
[21:27] <~Sunshine_Ko> "Just wine," T shakes his head, "Even Aurilites need to drink."
[21:28] <@Erad> "We should be wary about running afoul of the law." Erad warns Helena. "But... we might find out if they're really after us. Then there'd be no problems, even if knights showed up."
[21:28] <Annerose> "Or we could ensure nothing traces back to us."
[21:29] <@Inari> "Yes, if we just march up and start stabbing the authorities will come down on us hard," Inari agrees. "But certainly we can investigate and then try a more subtle approach... or we could just summon some monster and send it running in to start murdering people. It worked for them after all," Inari sighs.
[21:30] <@Erad> "Well, we can always disable them." Erad suggests. "Knock them out, that sort of thing. If it comes to that, anyway."
[21:30] <~Sunshine_Ko> "
[21:31] <~Sunshine_Ko> "Yeah, let's not forget we're being subtle." T agrees, "It's useful information, but use it wisely. Unless you like the dungeons or being short a head."
[21:32] <@Erad> "We can always just watch the place for a day or two and see who comes and goes." Erad suggests.
[21:33] <@Inari> "That's a very good idea, Erad," Inari says. "By seeing their comings and goings we can locate other buildings they frequent. There might be better targets, or opportunities to create diversions that way."
[21:34] <~Sunshine_Ko> "Not a bad strategy. I might do that if all else fails," T remarks, "It's solid if time consuming. Bring some food."
[21:35] * Annerose nods. "It's an especially good plan since I intend to help Lathander's temple start as many of its old programs as possible, and these people wouldn't like that much."
[21:35] <@Erad> "For me, personally, I'd like it if you could try and see if that follower of Tiamat has any friends in town." Erad says. "If we're going to be here a while, I intend to make sure I deal with those types while we're here."
[21:40] <~Sunshine_Ko> "I'll file that one away," T says, "Anyway, as for the rest of what I got. Not very useful except as blackmail, but a few nobles have some unsavory tendencies that I heard about from today's excursion. Knight Richard DuLean apparently has a wife that's just for show and to produce an heir. The rest of his time's spent holding his ankles, if you get what I mean. He's a southern house allied with
[21:40] <~Sunshine_Ko> the Maggens. It's more personal blackmail, since he DOES have an heir now it's of limited use. Knight Willis Umguard, the Western Shield? Apparently prefers to use magic to be Dame Umguard instead. Gets around in both forms and has a bunch of bastard children, which apparently is a hell of a cover. He's neutral but it's pretty good blackmail, since apparently his wife is a harridan with some
[21:40] <~Sunshine_Ko> considerable power and is in the dark."
[21:41] <Annerose> "Anything on Winters or DeLuca?"
[21:42] <~Sunshine_Ko> "Some on DeLuca," he says, "Not a lot, didn't get to them. Picked up one bit in passing - bit of a brute, rumor is he's heavy handed with his wife." He winces at that, "It's a scandal, but nothing's really been done. The Dynast doesn't care."
[21:44] <~Sunshine_Ko> "And these are the people who claim to be nobility?" Helena asks, eyes wide, "Unbelievable. You mean he's hitting his wife?"
[21:44] <Annerose> "I don't suppose one of your new friends could be persuaded to resolve this to our satisfaction?"
[21:44] <~Sunshine_Ko> "That's the rumor," T nods, "Resolve what, Annerose?"
[21:45] <Annerose> "The Dynast doesn't care because it is a noble's doing," Annerose elaborates. "So he would not likely care if one of these people over whom you have leverage decides to mete out punishment. Either to keep DeLuca in check, or call him out in public."
[21:47] <~Sunshine_Ko> T hmmms, "I might be able to. Umguard's in town and has some influence," He murmurs, "I'd need to do it right, and it's not risk free, but I like the idea. I was thinking of something a little more..." here he trails off, flexing his hands. "Direct. But I knew that was too rash."
[21:47] <~Sunshine_Ko> "Wait, Western Shield. So why isn't he at the war effort?" Helena speaks up.
[21:48] <~Sunshine_Ko> T shrugs, "Not all officers and commanders are at the front. Speaking of that! Rumors are flying, but the most reliable souces are claiming that Malana suffered at least a mild defeat out west. The early rumors that were more hopeful don't seem accurate, but information's still unreliable. There's no sense of panic or that a fall campaign could get too far, but spring could be difficult.
[21:48] <~Sunshine_Ko> Hopefully."
[21:49] <Annerose> "Might look into buying a replacement oil before trying it, definitely," Annerose muses. "Let's do what we can before we have to leave Misty Harbor and recruit all our possible allies."
[21:49] <~Sunshine_Ko> A nod, "So anyway, what do you think Is hould focus on tomorrow? I have a few leads I could chase or people to rurmor-monger."
[21:51] <@Erad> "Perhaps get more word out about the cathedral?" Erad asks. "It might serve several purposes for you, to both bait those we'd consider enemies and reveal allies."
[21:51] <Annerose> "I don't think so," Annerose says, shaking her head. "T wanted to stay out of that whole thing, and right now it'd be best to observe the people hostile to it than tie himself back to the entire thing."
[21:53] <~Sunshine_Ko> "Yeah," Tsays, "They'll be looking now, I bet you. They're surely riled up from that setback."
[21:53] * Annerose frowns. "I'd say that you should either look into our most recent enemies, those demon lovers DeLuca and Winters, and maybe the bank as a whole, or try to work on that plan to protect DeLuca's wife from him."
[21:54] <~Sunshine_Ko> "Alright then," T says, standing up, "I'll do that in the morning." OOC: Ready to move along?
[21:54] <@Erad> OOC: sure
[21:54] <Annerose> "One more thing, maybe one of us could approach her? Gauge her character and situation, see if it's a front and if not, if she'd be willing to help us turn things around?"
[21:56] <~Sunshine_Ko> "It'sa n idea," T says, "Worth a try, too."
[21:58] <~Sunshine_Ko> Sess 27 is a cool day, clear and pleasant. Summer's heat feels far away as the party rises for another day. OOC: Plans?
[21:58] * Annerose intends to return to the temple of Lathander and start helping the Dawnlord reach out to the community once more!
[21:59] <@Erad> OOC: Erad will keep watch at the cathedral for the time being since he doesn't have a lot else to do.
[22:00] <@Inari> OOC: Inari'll hang around the temple and help/fend off demons as well.
[22:14] <~Sunshine_Ko> OOC: Okay. That's pretty doable. Bringing Helena and Rock along first of all?
[22:15] <@Inari> OOC: yeah
[22:15] <Annerose> OOC: Rock won't feed hungry homeless people, though
[22:15] <@Inari> OOC: he kills demons real good
[22:15] <~Sunshine_Ko> OOC: Probably for the best.
[22:15] <~Sunshine_Ko> roll 1d100
[22:15] <Serith> Sunshine_Ko roll for Serith < 82 > [d100=82]
[22:17] <~Sunshine_Ko> You reach the temple of Lathander in good spirits. MacGregor is directing the acolytes, a ceremony around the outskirts of the building. He greets all of you with firm handshakes, "There's old magic we can begin to revitalized, allowed to lapse due to the expense, which protects the temple. After yesterday, it's clear Lathander's enemies will not rest."
[22:17] <@Inari> "A wise precaution," Inari approves. "We'll help defend the place while you work on that, and try to help with anything else that comes up?"
[22:18] <Annerose> "I heard about that, and yes, that does sound likely," Annerose voices. "Is there anything we could do to help with the ritual itself?"
[22:18] <~Sunshine_Ko> "Yeah," Helena says, nodding along.
[22:19] <~Sunshine_Ko> "In all truth?" MacGregor shakes his head with a blush, "Money. The ritual's expensive."
[22:20] <Annerose> Maybe selling everything to them for a steal was the better option after all? Annerose doesn't voice that thought, asking instead, "How much, and how exotic are the components?"
[22:21] <~Sunshine_Ko> "A few thousand gold," He answers, "Fairly exotic. You've done enough," he holds a hand up, "If we make the best of this, we can strengthen the ritual on our own."
[22:22] <Annerose> "Does the gold that still remains to adorn the temple serve any mystical quality?" Annerose inquires, deciding to be direct. "Or is it mostly aesthetical?"
[22:24] <~Sunshine_Ko> "Both," The Dawnlord answers, "Inactive due to part of it being lost."
[22:25] <Annerose> "Would it be easier to sell what remains to fund the temple's defenses, and then aim to start anew?"
[22:28] <~Sunshine_Ko> "Not at all," He says, "Though if ou need money yourselves, it's the least we cna do."
[22:29] <Annerose> "No shortcuts, I suppose," Annerose muses, accepting that fact.
[22:29] <@Erad> "Maybe we should look into that dragon." Erad says. "It might be the easiest way."

Corwin

[19:36] <~Kotono> roll 1d100
[19:36] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 50 > [d100=50]
[19:36] <@Erad> OOC: That's a nice, middle-of-the-road number to start with.
[19:41] <~Kotono> Things are quiet this morning. The ritual takes it up for the Lathanderites, and a minor healing or two is the only distraction. Come lunch - a simple but hearty  meal of fresh bread and dried meat - Dawnlord MacGregor comes into the small kitchen you eat at. "News is spreading through the city," he announces without preamble. "Bad news."
[19:41] <Annerose> "Please, don't hold us in suspense."
[19:42] <@Erad> Erad looks over to the Dawnlord. "Yes, let's hear it."
[19:42] <@Inari> Does this mean they lost that battle Helena was talking about? Inari waits with bated breath!
[19:43] <~Kotono> "Fortress Iron Resolve has fallen, as has Breakshield. A stunning new offensive and some means that shattered the fortress walls like glass." He says, shaking his head. "The thrust from there is going straight towards Fortress Adamantine and Highspite. If those fall..." A long shake of his head, "The heartlands of Malana are wide open."
[19:44] <@Erad> "Do they have any specifics on what these means were?" Erad asks. A dragon would certainly tilt things...
[19:45] <Annerose> "Magic, obviously," Annerose voices.
[19:45] <~Kotono> Helena scowls, "Worse than T was saying. Much worse. Even fi they march straight on, they'd be strained to reach Misty Harbor by winterfall, but at that point they might not need to."
[19:46] <~Kotono> "It has to be some new magic, something the military mages and defenses can't stop," Dawnlord MacGregor says, "Rumor is that the palace is tightly closed and abuzz, with any noble worth his name heading there."
[19:46] <@Inari> "Better there than at the front?" Inari points out. "Still, whoever wins better the war be decided swiftly than it dragging on and causing more death in the long run."
[19:48] <Annerose> "Perhaps we should reconsider setting off for the front?" Annerose asks. "If we were to take a ship, we could be in Jellan within a week. From there on, it is a matter of days to reach Fortress Adamantine."
[19:49] <~Kotono> "You're thinking of joining the war effort?" Helena glances over at her.
[19:49] <~Kotono> Rock just focuses on eating strip after strip of jerky, barely looking up at the conversation.
[19:50] <Annerose> "We know that our best ally amongst the nobles is about to be sacrificed to the war, and Inari and the Dawnlord are both right. Should the war go so dramatically in their favor, they will just rampage across the countryside without deciding the war quickly enough."
[19:51] <@Erad> Erad nods. "We can't let Brent Househaven just die in the midst of all of this, if he's truly to be a key in saving Malana."
[19:51] <~Kotono> "Househaven?" The Dawnlord speaks up then, "What does he have to do with saving Malana?"
[19:52] <@Erad> "We've been given reason to believe he will stand with us against the likes of Auril and Umberlee." Erad answers.
[19:52] <Annerose> "We think he's one of the key people who will oppose Auril and Umberlee's grasp, yes, but the other reason is far more pressing. A quick, decisive war is best if one must have it, but if it is impossible then a balance of power is the next best thing."
[19:52] <@Inari> "That's not actually what I meant," Inari says, "If all of Malana's defences fall so swiftly they'll surely sue for peace rather than continue to fight, won't they? Which is a good thing."
[19:53] <Annerose> "Do you see that happening? I'd imagine we're more likely to see widespread conscription and deals with unsavory powers for success."
[19:54] <~Kotono> "Or they won't accept it," The Dawnlord speaks up, "If the barbarians have us that badly broken, why would they listen to reason?" He shivers, "Why not take the prize directly?"
[19:54] <~Kotono> OOC: Make a perception check, all.
[19:55] <@Erad> roll 1d20+13
[19:55] <Annerose> roll 1d20+2
[19:55] <Serith> Erad roll for Serith < 23 > [d20=10]
[19:55] <Serith> Annerose roll for Serith < 4 > [d20=2]
[19:55] <@Inari> roll 1d20+13 scent reminder
[19:55] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 24 > [d20=11]
[19:55] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+18 ???
[19:55] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 24 > [d20=6]
[19:55] <Annerose> "I can't say I'm right on this, but given the choice to believe in the good graces of invaders that started the war in the first place and nobles that brought the land to what it is, I'd rather do something about this myself."
[19:55] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+10 Helena
[19:55] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 27 > [d20=17]
[19:56] <~Kotono> Huh. For some reason, Inari can smell T nearby. At the same time, Helena suddenly startles, "Did you see that," she stands and points ahead, just behind the Dawnlord.
[19:56] <@Erad> "See what?"
[19:56] <@Inari> "We don't know that they did start the war, it could easily have been Malana. And I really don't feel comfortable fighting..." she trails off and looks over where Helena's pointing. "T?"
[19:58] <~Kotono> A light little punch on the Dawnlord's shoulder gets him to startle, as T blurs into visibility. "Yeah, guess all of you heard. No sense source hunting when everyone's in an absolute panic and can get into the castle, while I can't so easily. Figured I'd touch base rather than chasing panic."
[19:58] <~Kotono> Helena scowls, "I thought you said that it wasn't as bad as this, just last night!"
[19:58] <@Inari> "Really you could have come in like a normal person. We got attacked by an invisible demon yesterday, I might have stabbed you if I hadn't smelled you first," Inari chastises.
[19:59] <~Kotono> T goes to sit, nabbing a bit of bread and starting ot tear it into pieces, popping it into his mouth, "I was wrong. Hell, everyone was. I think they did a better job at keeping the info under wraps until it reached the city proper." At this he shrugs, "Didn't want to be seen coming in since I'm trying to stay away from all this."
[19:59] <@Erad> roll 1d20+6 K:H on what Erad can recall about how Kabath has historically done when they go to war (do they stretch things out or do it decisively) and how they treat citizens?
[20:00] <Serith> Erad roll for Serith < 20 > [d20=14]
[20:00] <@Inari> "I suppose that's fair..." Inari concedes. "Anyway, I was saying I don't feel comfortable fighting to defend the current regime."
[20:01] <Annerose> "The people living in the countryside that will be threatened if the last fortress falls are innocent, however. And they had no hand in choosing their rulers," Annerose points out.
[20:01] <~Kotono> Erad can tell that by propaganda, they're rampaging monsters, barbarians, ect ect. In history's cooler, more measured gaze? It depends on the ruler in question as well as the war's circumstances. Most are reasonably rationa, but it has gone sour a few times.  The current ruler, Queen Penelope, is a cruel and savage piece of work. She views cowardice as grounds for execution and has made worship
[20:01] <~Kotono> of Tempus mandatory. She is a war maiden.
[20:01] <@Erad> "I'm not sure how much you know about Kabath, but if they win, things aren't going to get any better." Erad says.
[20:02] <~Kotono> "Thinking about throwing in?" T grimaces, "Well, here's the thing. If this super weapon's true and they can keep using it, the fortresses are probably doomed. At that point, Malana's lines are shattered and it's going to get ugly. I hope Queen Penelope's more interested in carving off more border land than a full invasion, but I've never heard anything good about her."
[20:03] <@Inari> "Very well. If we go to the front I'll fight to protect the people. But I won't stand under the banner of any of these revolting nobles we've heard so much about," Inari grudgingly relents but still holds one last line of her own!
[20:03] <@Erad> "Queen Penelope, the current leader, is war-hungry. She'll probably force everyone who can into battle and those that can't will probably be worse off than they are today." Erad continues. "She executes people based on cowardice and forces them to worshop Tempus. I'd say that manages to be even worse than the laziness of Franz."
[20:04] <~Kotono> "Then..." Helena says, "Maybe we need to fight for what's right rather than a side. If Kabath is clearly the aggressor, then we need to stop them."
[20:04] <@Erad> "I think if we're going..." Erad starts, "We should at least try and meet up with Househaven. We can probably get a better idea of what's really going on that way."
[20:05] <Annerose> "We could join forces with Lord Househaven, yes," Annerose agrees. "And strike out on our own otherwise. As for that weapon, it could be similar to what that shaman was using back then, Inari. If so, maybe it's a clue as to who was behind this."
[20:06] <~Kotono> "I'm not going to lie, I'd rather do almost anything than join the army." T slowly pops down a few more bits of bread, "See, I like that idea of being more independent. Especially after mucking out the noble's closets the last few days."
[20:07] <@Erad> "I don't think that's our ultimate goal." Erad says. "But we really can't do very much on our own, I think meeting with Househaven is a first step into creating something much bigger that we can continue to work towards."
[20:09] <~Kotono> "Yeah. If we impress him and help bail him out, we'd be in his good graces." T remarks, slowly eating. "But let's say we do this - what exactly do we DO? Try and help the army in support? Go investigate that super weapon? See about sending Quene Penelope off to Tempus?"
[20:09] <Annerose> "That does create a few new problems, if we do go," Annerose admits. "Dawnlord, would your defenses be sufficient? And T, could you put that plan in motion in time?"
[20:10] <~Kotono> "We've survived this long in worse," The Dawnlord says, "Lathander will light our way ahead."
[20:11] <~Kotono> "Which plan," T says, "There's a lot of moving parts right now."
[20:11] <@Erad> "We ultimately do need to stop this new weapon, because it threatens everyone." Erad says. "After that? What if Househaven started to create an independant city? It's a long shot, but... Well, it's hard to really make any serious guesses as to what we're going to do, things may change when we meet him."
[20:11] <Annerose> "The one about protecting DeLuca's wife from him. It's the only concrete thing we discussed."
[20:12] <~Kotono> "Right now, I'm not sure. Probably, but everyone's going crazy now today." T hmms, "But better to act now while I have an opening."
[20:13] <Annerose> "Yes, I think you should. And we'll trust the Dawnlord to spread Lathander's grace to the capital while looking for a suitable ship?"
[20:15] <@Inari> "Sorry we couldn't stay longer, but hopefully we'll be able to help more when we return," Inari says to MacGregor.
[20:15] <~Kotono> "Right." T gets up and sighs, "Fuck everything," he mutters, "Even if we hold them off, with the fortresses weakened and broken, a bad harvest and a hard winter ahead...they may not need to do much come spring." T says, getting up. "It's gonna be a long, cold winter, isn't it?"
[20:16] <@Erad> "T, do you think you'd be able to pinpoint any reports on Househaven for us while you're doing that?" Erad asks. "In case he got moved or something."
[20:16] <~Kotono> "I'll try," T says, "But there's only so many hours in the day, and right now the palace is a mess."
[20:20] <~Kotono> OOC: Okay, so what's the plans all around, y'all?
[20:20] <Annerose> OOC: Find a boat to take us to Jellan, if possibly large enough to transport the carriage
[20:21] <~Kotono> OOC: Okay. Diplo check for GIng, +2 circumstance since you did this sort of thing yesterday. Two pepole can aid.
[20:21] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+2 Helena aids since T's busy and Erad/Rock are Charisma-nots.
[20:21] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 19 > [d20=17]
[20:21] <@Inari> roll 1d20+19 I'll do it
[20:21] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 28 > [d20=9]
[20:21] <Annerose> roll 1d20+15 I'll help
[20:21] <Serith> Annerose roll for Serith < 25 > [d20=10]
[20:25] <~Kotono> The streets are chaos, with words and rumor flying. It's tense at the docks, with guards already milling about. But amid all this, you find one familiar face - Captain Burke. He's as short and sunburned as ever, bald head peeling under the sun's rays. You chance on him just besides his ship, "Inari," he greets her. "Looking for a ship? Trying to beat the declaration?"
[20:27] <@Inari> "I suppose we are," Inari admits. "But we're not precisely fleeing the country, rather trying to get to Jellam before it falls. Any chance you could help us with that, Captain?"
[20:28] <~Kotono> "100 gold as a flat fee and 20 gold per day at sea. Partial days are paid in full." He nods, "You'd best hurry. There's a rumor going around that the Dynast is going to pressgang all the ships into the war effort."
[20:31] <@Inari> "Sounds fair," Inari says, not about to haggle under such circumstances. "We'll be ready to sail before sundown." Reaching for her own supply of money she pays the advance fee now so no one else can try and jump the queue.
[20:31] <@Inari> OOC: loot posted
[20:32] <~Kotono> "You'd be best faster than that. We're leaving in 90 minutes, with or without you." He lowers his voice, "I'm not going to risk getting stuck in this war and losing my livelihood. Hurry."
[20:34] <@Inari> "Alright, we'll hurry," Inari says, turning to her companions. "You all get the carriage and our things, Helena and I will try and find T?"
[20:35] <~Kotono> OOC: Okay. How are you going to try and find T?
[20:35] <Annerose> "Works for me," Annerose agrees. "What do you want to do if you can't manage it? Leave a note for him at the inn and temple and go, or see about another ship?"
[20:36] <@Inari> "We'll just have to try another ship, we can't leave him behind. Meet back here in an hour either way!" Inari says, dragging Helena and running off.
[20:37] <@Inari> OOC: go sniff around the palace district for him. Helena's done stuff with him before so she'll know his habits and Inari can smell him. Or either could see him.
[20:37] <~Kotono> OOC: Make ad iplo check, +2 bonus. Helena will also aid.
[20:37] <@Erad> OOC: After we help with the wagon I could wait at the inn or the temple for him?
[20:37] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+2 aiding
[20:38] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 14 > [d20=12]
[20:38] <~Kotono> OOC: Sure thing, Erad.
[20:39] <@Inari> roll 1d20+19
[20:39] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 33 > [d20=14]
[20:40] <~Kotono> As the wagon is gotten and loaded, possessions secured, luck is with Inari. She finds T heading down a street in the mid-city, going along at a good, solid clip.
[20:42] <@Inari> "T! Wait up!" Inari shouts, running to catch him.
[20:42] <~Kotono> T does exactly that, "'nari?" he asks, Helena running up as well.
[20:44] <@Inari> "We have to go," she says, tugging his arm and starting to walk towards the harbour. "The only boat we found leaves in less than an hour. No one's willing to stick around with rumours that the Dynast is going to conscript them."
[20:46] <~Kotono> "Well, then let's go," T grimaces, hurrying along. From there it's a short trip to the harbor, the wagon loaded and the party on. Just as they get on, "Raise anchor," Captain Burke calls, "We're leaving now!"
[20:47] <@Inari> "Well, I suppose that dragon will have to wait for our return trip?" Inari says once they're all stowed away, showing little care for how she tempts fate.
[20:49] <@Erad> "If things go like we plan, it would certainly make sense." Erad says.
[20:49] <Annerose> "How nasty."
[20:50] <@Erad> "Actually... just to be on the safe side, I'm going to take a walk around and see if any of our friends followed us onto this ship." Erad says. OOC: Basically he's going to look around with Detect Evil and see if there are any strong or overwhelming auras on the boat.
[20:54] <~Kotono> OOC: Okay.
[20:54] <~Kotono> As the party settles on board, Erad goes and looks around. While some of the crew members are evil, none are beyond faint.
[20:56] <@Erad> Erad will nod with himself, satisfied with that and return to the others.
[20:59] <~Kotono> OOC: Okay, are y'all gonna do anything but settle in for the trip?
[20:59] <Annerose> OOC: Yes
[21:01] <@Erad> OOC: Erad will do some praying and meditating to see if he gets any upcoming hints about dragon boss fights
[21:01] <@Inari> OOC: settling in!
[21:02] <~Kotono> OOC: Okay. What do you have in mind then, Annerose? Erad, we can deal with your thing in a moment.
[21:02] <Annerose> OOC: My bad, meant I was settling in
[21:04] <~Kotono> OOC: Okay.
[21:04] <~Kotono> OOC: Make a wis check, Erad. +2.
[21:05] <@Erad> roll 1d20+4
[21:05] <Serith> Erad roll for Serith < 6 > [d20=2]
[21:05] <@Erad> OOC: He gets seasick easily, you see
[21:07] <~Kotono> Erad finds one thing ou t-he gets seasick. This rather ruins his meditation as the days begin to slip by. OOC: More.
[21:08] <~Kotono> Sess 28 passes in a blur of clouds and sun. That night...BAM! The party shares the guest bunks by simple necessity, everyone snoozing away. It's then that a massive shaking stirs them, followed by a loud BANG.
[21:09] <@Erad> "...Oh, come on..." Erad mumbles as he pulls himself slowly up. "Not this again..."
[21:09] * Annerose stirs with considerable difficult, making her way to the top deck in her nightgown.
[21:09] <@Inari> "Aah!" Inari jerks awake, looking around wildly. "Are we sinking?" she shouts, jumping off her bunk and running up onto deck in her own nightgown.
[21:10] <@Erad> Erad follows in short order, bleary-eyed but awake.
[21:22] <~Kotono> T stumbles out in his nightclothes, as Rock ambles along and Helena grabs her shield. "Wha?" she asks, blinking away sleep. As the party reaches the stairs back to the main deck, they see a man coming down them. Bare chested and scrawny, wearing dirty brown pans and carrying a scimitar. "Pfah! Surrender and you'll live!" he declares, brandishing his blade.
[21:22] <Annerose> "Stop moving!" Annerose commands him, striking out with her mind.
[21:24] <@Inari> Dammit and she left her spear downstairs. "Surrender to what?" she asks with still the appropriate incredulity for one man taking on a ship.
[21:24] <~Kotono> OOC: In that case init, since neither side is surprised. Party order is Erad, Annerose, Inari, T, Rock and Helena.

[21:24] <Annerose> roll 1d20+5+5
[21:24] <@Erad> roll 1d20+2
[21:24] <Serith> Erad roll for Serith < 6 > [d20=4]
[21:24] <Serith> Annerose roll for Serith < 14 > [d20=4]
[21:24] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+6 T
[21:24] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 23 > [d20=17]
[21:24] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+4 Helena
[21:24] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 5 > [d20=1]
[21:25] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+1 Rock
[21:25] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 14 > [d20=13]
[21:26] <@Inari> roll 1d20+4
[21:26] <Serith> Inari roll for Serith < 24 > [d20=20]
[21:26] * Kotono changes topic to 'Inari(24)>T(23)>Annerose=Rock(14)>Erad(6)>Helena(5)'
[21:26] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+3 ???
[21:26] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 21 > [d20=18]
[21:26] * Kotono changes topic to 'Inari(24)>T(23)>???(21)>Annerose=Rock(14)>Erad(6)>Helena(5)'
[21:26] <~Kotono> OOC: Open Inari.
[21:28] <@Inari> Inari won't initiate hostilities - maybe he'll realise how ridiculous this all is and back down. If he doesn't he can get set on fire though. OOC: readied action to foxfire if he attacks/casts a spell
[21:28] <~Kotono> OOC: Okay. T's up.
[21:29] <~Kotono> T just stares a moment, "Really, going at  6 on 1 odds?" He just asks, staring.
[21:30] <~Kotono> "Surrender to us! This is a pirate raid. Surrender or you'll be tossed into the sea!" He points his blade out at the party, "Now!" OOC: Annerose and Rock.
[21:32] <Annerose> "I said to stop moving!" she says peevishly. "And stop talking!"
[21:32] <Annerose> OOC: Hold Monster Will DC21
[21:33] <~Kotono> roll 1d20+3
[21:33] <Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 12 > [d20=9]
[21:34] <~Kotono> Aaand down he goes, utterly unmoving under Annerose's command.OOC: Free act for now.
[21:34] <@Erad> Erad will grab the young man by the shoulder and continue on to see if there are, in fact, other pirates. "This is ridiculous."
[21:35] <@Inari> "So where are the rest of the pirates?" Inari wonders, going to look over the side of the boat.
[21:36] * Annerose takes a glance through her magical sight while the others rush ahead to assess the threat level of pirates by the one sample she has here.
[21:43] <~Kotono> Going up onto the deck, you find a scene of chaos. A few sailors defend against waves of pirates - at least a few dozen. A ship is next to yours, a smaller one with no flag flying. The sound of clashing steel is everywhere.
[21:44] <@Erad> "Well, this seems like a rather cut and dry case of defending ourselves." Erad says. "Shall we?"
[21:44] <@Inari> "Lets!" Inari says, preparing to join the melee!
[21:45] <Annerose> "I did want a ship of my own!" Annerose agrees, moving into the best position to freeze the rushing masses.
[21:45] <@Erad> Erad will try and throw the currently disabled pirate at one of his friends, if any happen to be near the edge of the boat at the moment.
[21:45] <~Kotono> OOC: Just going to join ina nd try to contribute, all?
[21:46] <Annerose> OOC: At first, then I'll move over to take the other ship
[21:48] <@Erad> OOC: Indeed
[21:48] <@Inari> OOC: basically yes, I'll punch or set on fire pirates. And heal friendlies.
[21:50] <~Kotono> OOC: Okay. We'll pause here before starting an actual combat.