News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

Suikoden 2

Started by Dracos, June 22, 2002, 08:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Since I'm on the topic, might as well do the next game in the series...  

If Suikoden  1 had sucked, this would be "Just like Suikoden 1, except it doesn't suck."  In fact, it goes far beyond that, this is a truly superb game.  A better line would be "Everything Suikoden 1 promised, only better."

Just to make it clear, I reccommend everyone play this game.  It is simply a work of art.  The story telling, graphics, musical accompaniment, side stories, and character backgrounds are all first class.

Starting with the music... it is simply beautiful.  From the fearsome specialized boss tunes to the relaxing yet fast paced vocals, the musical background provides an undertone for the game that pulls you in and hauls you along for the ride.  The gothic mixes in particular improved a tremendous degree from the previous game.  All in all, the music crew from this did a first class job.  I don't think there was one annoying or inappropriate music track in the entire game.

The graphics engine is virtually indistinguishable from the original...only better.   The pixel count is higher clearly as the resolution of the enemies is much better.  The palette is far expanded and the character portraits really look nice.  The flowering of FMV's to really elaborate dramatic scenes and bring forth the powers of the true runes was superb.   Especially the secret True rune final spell, which felt similar in tone to BoF 2's anifini only done to the n'th degree of nifty.  The graphics might not be three dimensional sprites... but I don't give a damn...they are superb.

Battle system...  still a damn solid six on six system... I still await the fulfillment of the real promise this system has.  It's fun, but it could be so much more.  Hopefully they will keep this darn good system and continue fleshing it in Suikoden 3.

The castle system is still here, an amusing sideline that really takes no input from the player besides the gathering of troops.  Well...  Not really actually...now you can grow crops, build a farm and some other nifty side quests on your castle.  That and the castle is quite niftily designed with a symbolic beast if you build one.

The character designs in this game are simply some of the best in the genre.  Not only do you see a bunch of new faces complete with in game backgrounds and a sense of reality, but several old favorites from the first game show up.   I'm going to harp on three characters in particular that I found they did a particularly stellar job on.

First, Shu the strategist.  Replacing Maithu from the previous game, Shu is simply a character that peeks the coolness meter with ease.  Dressed in black with long flowing hair, he is cool, calm, and in control.  A man who literarly can keep his cool with the world going to hell around him.  I kept expecting him to pull out a gold watch... I don't know why...   he was just that nifty though.

Next, returning cast member from Suikoden 1 is Leon Silverburg.  He was sort of hinted at being some cold, hardass brilliant strategist in Suikoden 1..... now we see him in action.  A beautiful counterpoint to "little shu's all grown up, eh?".  He's evil...I think...  either way, I like the guy.   If I looked in british history I'm certain I'd find the cultural background they used to write him.

Finally, the villain revealed at the beginning of the game, Luca Blight.  This guy...you have to see it for yourself.  Go play the game and drool at this archetypically awesome villain.

Now for the story...  this is one for the books...  it is simply well written, well portrayed, touching, and well presented.  The presentation of the true runes, the interaction between the protagonist and the feelings that really are well conveyed...  this is a top notch storyline that is like a really good fantasy novel.

The protagonist uses a standard silent protagonist style, but you still get quite a bit of freedom with answer choices...  I sincerely hope on the third version of the game they manage to write up conclusive storylines for when you choose the wrong choice in important events, instead of just minor changes in the ending.  Either way the suikoden system is really being established as a great Rpg'ing system for console rpgs.

In fact...it's so good, I'm going to go play it for a fourth time...

Dracos the Dark Heretic
Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

...there's gonna be a third Suikoden!? Where'd you hear about this?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Ginnezumusha

Go here for some information about Suikoden III

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/suiko/suik3/suik3.html

On another note, a friend of mine showed me this link.  Man, sometimes it feels pretty damn good to be able to speak japanese.

http://www.gameforms.com/news/0206/24/suiko3.html

Dracos

*takes a moment to cry in jealousy*

Ginn so lucky!

hum...playing through it for the fourth time I must now admit some stuff I ignored earlier in my review.

Translation quality: Middling-poor.  They really dropped the ball in this departement.  Solid writing, story telling, etc, but the small errors that continually pop up are a pain in the arse.  My personal largest grudge against the translation is something they neglected to slice out.  Two 'hint givers' who charge the player money for a 'hint', likely revolving around the infamous stairway quest, which promptly pulls up a bunch of untranslated characters.  Of course, as the Japanese text no longer exists to show,  it appears as random gibberish.  Bad form indeed.

Additional sidenote...they drop the ball with Mcdohl (DcDohl?!) by placing two silent protagonists next to each other for discussion, bad move Konami.  A general rule of thumb when using silent protagonists is to try and shy away from them having to speak in any prolonged state.  Watching the scene between McDohl and Lepant was painful in the extreme.  The scene with Kasumi, one you know there is beautiful classic thought behind lacks force due to it's execution.

hum...there was some other stuff, but that was mainly it.

bad form of me not to note the translation errors.

Personal Postnote: Is it merely my copy or is the sound clip for Ananelle(sp?)'s song missing from the American version of the game?

Fearless Leader
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Two 'hint givers' who charge the player money for a 'hint', likely revolving around the infamous stairway quest, which promptly pulls up a bunch of untranslated characters.  Of course, as the Japanese text no longer exists to show,  it appears as random gibberish.  Bad form indeed.

It's actually about the trading mini game, advice in particular.  Basically, you aren't missing anything.  Still, it is sloppy.

Personal Postnote: Is it merely my copy or is the sound clip for Ananelle(sp?)'s song missing from the American version of the game?

Yep, another boneheaded edit by Konami.  Yay!  I had the song downloaded awhile back, but I lost it when half my music folder was corrupted.   Anyway, if you want it, I found it on Audio Galaxy.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

how...lovely.

Such prudence and care in their work.

-_-

Fearless  Leader
Well, Goodbye.