News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

Annerose, prologue

Started by Corwin, May 03, 2015, 03:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

[20:15] <@Kotono> The roads west of Warmfolk are busy. At the height of Tola's summery weather, the roads are jam-packed with travelers. Merchant caravans are interspersed with smaller groups and even single wayfarers. It is early in the afternoon as Annerose travels, the hot and humid weather like a wet vise around her body. While the sky is clear, a hint of wind predicts coming storms soon enough.  OOC: Go
[20:15] <@Kotono> ahead and intro yourself to begin.
[20:22] <@Annerose> It would be pure torture if she didn't have her armor to comfortably cool off the air as it travels closer to her body. Sigfried, however, doesn't have such benefits and she shifts her shield closer to her familiar to keep him nice and chilled. The storm is likewise a concern, and Annerose glances worriedly at the sky. Out here, she wouldn't be able to easily make shelter for the two of them, and that makes getting to Warmfolk a priority.
[20:25] <@Kotono> OOC: Any ranks in survival?
[20:25] <@Annerose> OOC: No!
[20:25] <@Kotono> OOC: Wis check
[20:26] <@Annerose> roll 1d20+2
[20:26] <Myannbot> Annerose rolled 1d20+2 --> [ 1d20=6 ]{8}
[20:27] <@Kotono> The armor does indeed cool the air around Annerose. It is a luxury that makes live far more endurable in this miserable season. Yet the light, dusty scent of the road - all dust and summer sunshine boiled together - reminds her of the season yet again. The cry of horses, the grunts of travelers, the clod of feet on packed, bare ground all fill her ears. As for the sky, there's the first sign of
[20:27] <@Kotono> dark clouds. An hour? Perhaps two? Annerose isn't sure. Nothing's behind her of note, and ahead is an open question. As she looks about, a merchant caravan passes. Ten covered wagons lead by horses, with a small train of travelers around and behind it. As the third passes by, a bearded man glowers over and calls, dark eyes narrowed, "Side of the road, woman!"
[20:30] * @Annerose does the neighbourly thing by stepping aside and letting them pass safely, Sigfried already hurrying out of the way ahead of her.
[20:34] <@Kotono> The caravan passes without further comment, leaving Annerose in their dust. The problem of the coming storm still lingers, however.
[20:36] <@Annerose> "Good afternoon," Annerose greets one of the travelers as she steps back onto the road after the last of the wagons had passed. "Where are you headed?"
[20:38] <@Kotono> roll 1d100
[20:38] <Myannbot> Kotono rolled 1d100 --> [ 1d100=47 ]{47}
[20:40] <@Kotono> By chance, the woman stopped is young. Perhaps 15 to 20 years old, somewhere in that stage of blossoming. She's a pretty blonde haired woman, albiet sweaty, dirty and wearing worn wayfarer's clothes. She slumps under the weight of her pack. "Warmfolk," she says, pausing a moment and taking out a waterskin. She takes a long draught, "Impressive armor," she murmurs, gesturing with the waterskin
[20:40] <@Kotono> at Annerose. AT this she stops, repeating it. "Cold?" she says aloud.
[20:42] <@Annerose> "Nice and chilly," Annerose agrees. "I like the color myself as well."
[20:45] <@Kotono> The woman comes closer, hands out towards Annerose's armor. "I almost feel like a human again," she sighs and closes her eyes, quickly adding, "Priase be to Auril, ma'am."
[20:47] <@Annerose> "Oh, I don't know," Annerose says, suppressing a wince. "Auril sounds pretty mean. Catch her favor and she'll reward you with frostbite at best." While Sigfried peers curiously, she offers, "How about I help you with your pack? We're headed in the same direction as it is, and it would be nice to have some company on the road."
[20:50] <@Kotono> "Oh! Sorry," The woman steps back, "I thought for sure you were one of hers with that fancy armor," she explains quickly, "I didn't want to offend." But then after she quickly says, "Thank you," she says, "We're trying to reach an inn before the weather breaks. I really shouldn't be lingering, so yes, let's go."
[20:50] <@Kotono> A few passing glances at the blonde and Annerose, but not many. One, an elf with a cool, reserved demeanor and messy brown hair, "Don't fall behind or your father will whip your hide again," he calls.
[20:53] <@Annerose> "Likewis-- yes, let's go," Annerose agrees, shouldering the girl's pack and starting to walk after the wagons. "I'm Annerose. Now we're not quite strangers anymore, are we?"
[20:53] <@Kotono> OOC: What's your Str score, Annerose?
[20:54] <@Annerose> OOC: 14. I don't really have much in the way of things.
[20:56] <@Kotono> The pack's heavy but not unbearable. It still burdens Annerose, while the blonde sighs and rubs the small of her back. But she walks lighter now as she replies, "Helena," she offers back, a slow smile forming on her face.
[20:57] <@Annerose> It's not often she needs to exercise that much, but Annerose takes it in stride. "Your family are mechants?" she asks curiously, glancing at Helena sideways.
[21:00] <@Kotono> She glances back, answering quieter. "My adopted father is," she answers, "He's one of the leaders of the caravan."
[21:01] <@Annerose> "And your mother?"
[21:04] <@Kotono> "I don't have one, he never married,' she explains, and slows a moment, "...which is part of why we're going to Warmfolk. This is my last journey, for he intends to use part of the profits as a dowry, and to find me a husband."
[21:07] <@Annerose> "I've seen a lot of people get married," Annerose muses, keeping pace with Helena. "Those who married for love were the happiest. Do you have someone like that in mind?"
[21:08] <@Kotono> A bit of a laugh comes, a soft thing that fades away into the clop of horsehooves and feat on the road. "I haven't even met my husband. It's my father's choice anyway, of course."
[21:09] <@Annerose> "Your family has a say in it," Annerose agrees. Then, winking at Helena, she adds, "Then you make the final choice~"
[21:16] <@Kotono> Helena giggles and blushes, "I can but do what I can," she says coyly, "Though..." her voice drops again, "I fear father may simply choose before I meet him and it is a done deal."
[21:18] <@Annerose> "I never really got how that worked. Shouldn't the groom pay a dowry to get a lovely bride? Why is it always the bride's father?"
[21:21] <@Kotono> "I haven't the least idea," Helena admits as she pauses to wipe her brow. The heat is still around the pair, the air growing thicker. It's getting darker in the sky, clouds rolling in. At the same time, you can see something ahead - the first signs of a village, perhaps? A tilled field, a faraway building.
[21:23] <@Annerose> "It's just strange," Annerose muses, passing her gauntlet by Helena's head to chill it a bit. "Must be why people elope now and then." Peering ahead at the village, she asks, "Is that Warmfolk, you think? I've never visited before, I'm afraid."
[21:26] <@Kotono> "Oh no, Warmfolk is much bigger," she sighs in relief, "But I think that's a small village or farm. I can't remember. Warmfolk's still a few days away."
[21:27] * @Annerose laughs. "It must really show that I'm out of place! Hopefully, there will be a barn to take shelter in from the storm?"
[21:34] <@Kotono> "Of course, at least there should be," Helene answers and peers ahead, a hand above her eyes. "We really should hurry."
[21:35] <@Annerose> With a nod, Annerose picks up her pace. With the goal in sight, going faster is simple enough!
[21:37] <@Kotono> roll 1d100
[21:37] <Myannbot> Kotono rolled 1d100 --> [ 1d100=21 ]{21}
[21:37] <@Kotono> OOC: What's your plan here? Find a stable and just use that to ride out the storm?
[21:38] <@Annerose> OOC: If there is no inn, yes, just get permission to stay somewhere
[21:45] <@Kotono> Fortune is with Annerose. It's a small little farming village, dominated by a roadside inn. You soon end up in the common room. The pounding of rain and crashing of thunder is a backdrop to it. Inside people are about - the caravan group, including Helena, take up a side of the inn's tavern. A small group of farmers drink at the bar - they just -look- like farmers, down to a few dirty hoes adn
[21:45] <@Kotono> shovels resting nearby. Finally, a single man sits at a window, gaze out at the storm. His expression is severe, his black hair only making him look darker. OOC: Go ahead.
[21:49] <@Annerose> Strange as it is to drink water when there's such an outpouring outside, that's just what Annerose gets for herself and for Sigfried. Then comes the matter of where to wait it out, and forcing herself upon either group just feels wrong. "Excuse me," she asks the solitary man by the window, "is this seat taken?"
[21:51] <@Kotono> The man's not young or old - perhaps 30 or so? His black hair is short and well trimmed, his entire features lean and severe. But he nods slightly, glancing at you. "....That animal isn't from around here," he says.
[21:53] <@Annerose> "You have a good eye!" she compliments him, sitting down. A brief focus on her power chills her drink sufficiently, and she takes a relieved sip. "He's from around Banam."
[21:54] <@Kotono> No reply right away, only the solace of chilled water and the fury of the storm. After several more moments he replies, "I fear this will not be a good harvest. There has been much rain already, and the signs point towards an early, wet fall. Crops will drown in the fields and winter will be a savage time. Are you pleased?"
[21:56] <@Annerose> "That's terrible," Annerose says disappointedly. "Winter should be a happy, restful time to spend together with your family. Not what Auril's twisting it into. Is there anything that could be done to save the crops?"
[21:59] <@Kotono> More silence, a long stretch of it. "Probably not," he finally says, "Unless you can command the rain." You can see he's dressed in traveler's clothes, but the slightest tink of metal suggests more practical protection beneath it. "I've told the farmers here to harvest earlier than later, and to salt away what they can. It will help as much as it can help." You also notice he isn't drinking
[21:59] <@Kotono> anything, nor eating. He just seems content staring out at the rain.
[22:01] <@Annerose> "If I could, I wouldn't be seeking shelter here," Annerose admits, sipping at her water again. "Will the farmers need an extra pair of hands to be done in time with harvest? I don't really have much experience with it, but I could learn."
[22:03] <@Kotono> The pause is shorter this time, "Another pair of hands won't maket hat much of a difference," he says, "Besides, your talents would be wasted at it."
[22:04] <@Annerose> "My talents?"
[22:06] <@Kotono> "You're an adventurer," he says plainly, "That's your familiar."
[22:07] <@Annerose> "I'm afraid you have me under a disadvantage. Are you an adventurer yourself?" she asks, deciding to accept that label for simplicity's sake.
[22:12] <@Kotono> "...yeah," he finally says, "You're wearing armor of ice and have a penguin with you, but you don't like Auril. You're an adventurer."
[22:15] <@Annerose> "Does anyone really like her, I wonder? And the feeling must be mutual," Annerose muses. "If anyone follows her, it's out of ignorance or fear."
[22:18] <@Kotono> "I've heard of a few,"  he says after a bit, watching the rain fall. "But...just something I heard on the road. Watch out in Warmfolk, there's news of goblin trouble and trouble with pirates."
[22:20] <@Annerose> "Did you come from there?"
[22:23] <@Kotono> "Yeah," he says again, "Heading down south now." He rises now - his clothes are plain and unremarkable, but the clink of metal is notable. "The city's in a bad way."
[22:25] <@Annerose> "What about Misty Harbor?" Annerose asks curiously. "Have you been there recently?"
[22:27] <@Kotono> "No," He shakes his head, "Haven't been there since last summer."
[22:30] <@Annerose> "I'll be sure to see how things are for myself." She salutes him with her drink. "Be safe on your travels, and thank you for the warning."
[22:33] <@Kotono> A nod is the reply, as Annerose is left to watch the fury of the storm outside, as summer boils on.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake