News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Ideas Thread

Started by Olvelsper, August 14, 2011, 12:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arakawa

Oh, hey, I found more notes on this idea. Apparently I also dragged in aspects of CS Lewis' Space Trilogy (although I quickly tired of those books).

Spoiler: ShowHide

Yukari Yakumo

• launched the Lunar War as a cover for her intervention against the Lunarians' version of the Blight
  • masterminded the creation of Gensokyo;
  • (per Legendarium) possibly inherits the mission of the Blue Wizards / is perhaps even a former Istari herself; has a dissenting view of Illuvatar's plan for the modern age, since Illuvatar wishes the blight to run its course; hopes for Illuvatar to acknowledge Gensokyo as a reality in its own right in the long term, with the unauthorized creation of the Dwarves having been an original precedent to reasonably expect the Supreme Highest God to change His mind

Reimu Hakurei

• orphaned after her grandparents' generation wiped out of the Hakurei shrine as part of elimination of extremists on both sides (human and youkai)
  • inherits the Hakurei bloodline 'motion independent of reality', which she winds up abusing for her flight power
  • this exact bloodline is needed by Yukari in order to have a way to anchor Gensokyo in-between the destruction of the ouside world, and its acknowledgment by Illuvatar

Eirin Yagokoro

• probably a NICE-style technocrat who repented against all odds
  • her dress symbolizes the uneasy reunification of the two sundered parts of Sulva; something that the Lunar equivalent of NICE propounded as a cover for an invasion attempt of the far-side, but wound up actually bringing about

per Legendarium

• fea is in fact the substance of faith that produces human souls, youkai, gods &c
  • humans have a particular ability to anchor the world through faith ('co-inherence') per Illuvatar's plan to have them be a root node that pulls all of the worthy aspects of Arda out of its corruption by Melkor
  • hroa is the material substance that is amenable to scientific analysis
  • the Blight amounts to a severe detachment of fea and hroa to the point of unmaking all reality in a specific world

All I can say right now is, I must have (metaphorically speaking) been smoking something powerful the day I came up with this.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Arakawa

An idea about LEGO Movie. I watched LEGO Movie in an airplane (when the jet lag makes me too stupid to brain properly) and I liked LEGO Movie. Thought it was rather like the Matrix without all the emo-philosophy-major stuff. And Lord Business is an inoffensive but somehow really apt depiction of a Dark Lord for the 21st Century. But it's rather ruined by the fact that, in the end, they're all just LEGO.

I kept thinking, "how to make it more Matrix?"

Here's an idea that's too stupid to make work immediately.
Spoiler: ShowHide

The human dad really is actually an evil dark Lord Business who wants to rule the world.

The LEGO master builder people are actual human souls from Lord Business' company in the human world, brilliant engineers or scientists whose creativity has been sucked out into the LEGO figures using ancient Danish voodoo alchemy rituals (why not). The LEGO figures are amnesiac about their true nature as human souls who came from another world, like Plato's Allegory of the Cave or the mythology Gnosticism (evil Demiurge god traps souls from outer world in a fake world). That seems like a really Matrix idea.

Unlike the other brilliant engineers, Emmett is a regular dude from Lord Business' office who got trapped in the voodoo ritual as an unforeseen accident. That makes him an unforeseen element throwing off Lord Business' otherwise flawless calculations.

Within LEGO world, they are hunted down by Bad Cop (maybe another human put in the LEGO matrix) and Lord Business' LEGO avatar and put into the Think Tank, where they are forced to invent evil take-over-the-world technologies for Lord Business' real-world world domination plans.

Of course the plan is further ruined when Lord Business' son plays with the lego sets and changes the lego world. But maybe the Hiding In Plain Sight aspect of it means that it would attract too much attention to have the LEGO look more serious than just the business guy's eccentric basement hobby. It's not inherently more silly than the stuff that goes on in Death Note.

Where it goes from there, I dunno. But it's one opening to change the conclusion of LEGO Movie to be more than 'yeah, ok, we're just toys *shrug*'.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)