"Why do you call it soulriders?"
"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 29, 2020, 08:29:24 AM
The common classes for Amaryllis are rangers, scouts, sorcerers, cleric and favored soul. Masters, experts and artificers also gravitate towards this faith. Several small sects of rangers, paladins and healers who serve her have sprung up, but as of yet none have fully solidified into a full order.

I think the third sentence shouldn't have rangers, given the first one does and they are fairly key to her concept.

It's intentional in that case, as it's meant to signify that those types are forming orders but as of yet none have quite coalesced fully.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 30, 2020, 10:33:08 AM
For Donald:

Each soul aided is an bet and Donald is lucky with his gambles.

a bet

The extend of the alliance is unclear, but most believe Lathander would intervene if Donald was gravely threatened.

extent

---

Amusingly, a dog fits Donald very well.

Also, Seira does talk to her faithful and even intervenes directly. I think she's more active overall, but Donald is certainly more talkative. Nice going!

Typo corrections made.

Dogs do fit Donald pretty well. I like his writeup a lot, it feels about right for him.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, I've gotten and copied all Alicia, Seira and Moore's goals and worshiper writeups. Alyssa, have you done yours and I missed it in the press of posts?
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

1. I plan to focus on Arythma. I'm obviously known there, the goals I set up inside the Order before I left still line up for the most part, and it'll be great to slap down that adjudicator woman that showed up to evaluate Alyssa.
2. I'd like to set up a more solid exchange of trade and travel with the Gates of the Moon, Shaundakul's realm (if he even has one), The Red Knight, The Cauldron, and Moore's place. I figure I've already got good relations going in most of these places, so why not capitalize on them.
3. I want to start finding weaknesses of Shar to exploit, and information that will help us. I plan to build a library "device" that will help with figuring these things out, and my followers are going to start gathering lore and items that might help.
4. I want to find a way to turn that info into an actual defining weapon. I'm thinking of trying to do so via the Words since that focuses on, basically, conceptualizing will and knowledge into a physical medium. So maybe some sort of link up between the library device and a personal forge where I make weapons or something.

Worshipers

1. Araseis, a tiefling wizard 5//rogue 5. Having begun as a slave to a wizard, she studied, learned, and escaped from her master then began gathering other escaped slaves and teaching them practical life skills and making manuscripts to help them by hand in order to help them survive. As whispers of her spread, one of the manuscripts she had written fell into the hands of a librarian, who was impressed by the conciseness and depth of it, which drew Alyssa's attention. Alyssa then charged her with travelling and gathering knowledge and lost or escaped people, those who wished for freedom and to find their own lives and guide them to safety. Her prime is Arythma.

2. Lasri, dwarf Paladin 5//Expert 5. Lasri was a little odd to her fellow dwarves; she was as fanatical about recording knowledge and techniques as she was about dedicating herself to her crafting. Though she specialized in armor smithing, she spent a nearly equal time in the library researching and recording the actual process of crafting. This often got her in trouble with her own family and other dwarves, as the techniques and processes are typically held as family only knowledge. She often defended her point of view by pointing out other fallen dwarven strongholds and their lost knowledge and riches... Or by simply beating them into silence. She was also fascinated by the ingenuity of humans and how quickly they advanced in their lifetimes. Alyssa, having noticed this oddity of a dwarf building a library of her own, sent her inspiration and guidance. In return, Alyssa got nearly fanatical dedication. Her prime is Lemdor.

3. Croneasco, a human Cleric 5//Artificer 5. Croneasco was a scholar and tinkerer from the moment he could read and hold tools. Having spent most of his time in libraries and in workshops as a child, he did not have much time for religion. That was until he heard some of the librarians talking about a new great library. After investigating, he came to learn about Alyssa and found in her a kindred spirit and calling, dedicating himself to the dual purpose of crafting and learning. His prime is Arythma.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Remaining public todos:

1. Seira reply in realm and a reply to Iddy PM about that library.
2. More divine writeups. Moore's next for one, I want at least one more of his done before we resume, preferably two.
3. Actually doing other things on the todo list, maybe, possibly.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Alicia's post is up.

The reason I do it early is because in prep, these posts are running long. As such I'm going to stagger them rather than try to write all of them at once. Replies won't be until Monday.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

I'll be updating and making Moore/Alyssa accessory topics as needed tonight. Could you two link to the most current form of your writeups?
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Divine Write-up:
Spoiler: ShowHide
Alyssa Songsteel
The Guiding Hand, Queen of the Horizon, The Scholar of the Forge
Demigoddess
Symbol: A book behind a curved horizon. [spoiler]

Home Plane: Alyssum Royal Academy
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Portfolio: Knowledge, Exploration, Potential
Worshipers: Explorers, Wanderers, Students, Mentors, Settlers, Cartographers
Cleric Alignments: CN, CG,
Domains: Magic, Knowledge, Travel, Forge
Favored Weapon: Unarmed Strike

Alyssa Songsteel's faithful are those who hold wanderlust and a thirst for the unknown and yet to be discovered deep in their hearts. She encourages those that worship her to search out the hidden and forgotten gems of the world; whether those gems be beautiful vistas, lost stories and knowledge, or the simple joy of discovery. Those who hoard knowledge to themselves, however, will find no warmth from her - to have knowledge and discover things and not share it for the betterment for all is the antithesis of her nature.

Like her patron Shaundakul, Alyssa venerates the spreading of the hidden places and knowledge of the Planes. She views it as a personal mission for herself and her followers to spread knowledge and share these hidden places through education and guiding the settlers and wanderers of the Planes to make their homes. She views teaching others and nurturing growth with reverence, and looks favorably on the passing of knowledge and crafting to others.

Because of her own accomplishments as a mortal, Alyssa views the building of communities favorably. Any who wish to build a life and town with their own hands will find an ally in her. She encourages all settlers develop their homes and villages to include nature instead of pushing it aside. She sponsors the inclusion of Druids and Rangers into these settlements and guides her followers to hold faith with them. After all, Druids and Rangers are the stewards of Nature, and Nature has given us all the places to find and explore.

Because of her own ability to forge and tailor, the faithful of Alyssa are encouraged to dress in simple designs, but of high quality. She favors the noble colors of purple, gold, and red. For those who journey frequently, she prefers utility over form, but encourages having a small piece of quality clothing or accessory, preferably made by their own hands, like a belt buckle, bracelet, a scarf, or handkerchief.

History/Relationships

Alyssa is a newly ascended mortal, brought into divinity by need, to help in the fight against Shar. Her mortal life was not so unusual until she solved a Labyrinth made by Io as a test by her guild. Completing the Labyrinth granted her the inheritance of a portion of Io's power, elevating her to something with more potential than most mortals. After intense study, she was targeted by Shar and withdrew from her home plane of Arythma to gather allies and strike against her. Guided by Shaundakul, she made her new home on a demi-plane in the Gates of the Moon, where she came fully into divinity.

Shaundakul is her primary ally among the Gods, but she also has close ties to The Red Knight; one of her higher ranking servants, Jarem Aruwood, even serving as the Captain of her guards and armies for a time as they fought against Shar, and he himself gaining Divinity as they traveled and fought together. Combined with Emily Aryn, daughter of Seira Aryn, as part of her closest advisors and friends, and Bastian who has newly found Divinity as well, Alyssa has an unusual number of ties to Gods for such a newly risen demigoddess.

Alyssa opposes oppression and the lack of freedom in all forms, and advocates in the freedom of choice; even if that choice might lead someone to evil. She opposes evil as a practical measure; most evil beings' ambitions tend to rob others of their freedoms and tend towards the destruction of knowledge and places. Alyssa holds freedom high and acknowledges that it includes the freedom to choose evil. However, once that choice comes into conflict with the spreading and discovery of places and knowledge, her tolerance for it ends.

Alyssa is in direct conflict with Shar, as Shar targeted her as a mortal. Now that Alyssa has ascended, that conflict has only grown in intensity. As Alyssa struck down Sharran cabals, her anger at the follower's of Shar's behavior expanded, and now she stands in conflict with anyone who encourages slavery or the razing of communities.

Dogma

Never stop reaching beyond the horizon. Always find the next place, the next story, the next bit of knowledge. Never forget to record and share where you've been and what you've seen to inspire others to find their own paths beyond the horizon. Teach all who thirst for knowledge, and respect the land and places you go. She encourages everyone who follows her to become a mentor or a student to another, even if only for a few hours to teach, or learn, a trick or two. While she encourages generosity to others, her belief in helping others is to educate them to help themselves, and to teach them how to have the right expectations of themselves.

Clergy and Temples

Clerics of Alyssa are tasked with providing inspiration, guidance, and education everywhere they go. They are called upon to protect the freedoms of those who call for aid. They are meant to help guide and give respite to the wanders, seekers, and settlers of the world. Alyssa's temples are meant to serve as places of learning, not only for knowledge and dogma, but for skill and ability. They often resemble school houses more than temples, and contain libraries that are open to all. For those who come and learn and hone skills, the clerics will always offer to guide them to the next step of learning and skill, maintaining a network of scholars and craftsmen in their regions. Many of them are scholars themselves, often serving as teachers or professors in their own right.

Alyssa holds close faith with Shaundakul, and venerates both him and the Red Knight as a mentors and allies. As such, she expects that when her clerics and followers meet those of Shaundakul's faith that they not compete with each other, or come into conflict. She expects them to work together to map out and spread the knowledge they each have discovered. Shaundakul's faithful, along with those of the Red Knight, are expected to be offered hearth and home when found in need. The same expectation is placed when her faithful meet a Druid or Ranger in need, as she holds a Divine Grove dedicated to a fallen Druid who was a dear friend to her. Druids and Rangers might even find themselves wandering into this Grove.

---

Bonus Material

Preferred Classes
Wizards and Factotums are the most common class for followers of Alyssa. Though scholars of any kind are easily found, to include Scholar-Monks who gather knowledge, and Bards who collect and record stories.

Common prestige classes for her followers are Horizon Walker, Mage of the Arcane Order, Loremaster, and Archmages.

Preferred Symbols

Alyssa prefers favorite books of any kind as a symbol, but does appreciate denoting these from others by wrapping in a good quality cloth cover of her favored colors. If one cannot pick a single favorite book, a cloth bookmark with her symbol embroidered on it is fully acceptable. Clerics of Alyssa pray for spells at Dusk.

Supplementary Material

Initiate of Alyssa
Prerequisite: Cleric level 5th, patron deity Alyssa
Benefit: You gain the Knowledge Devotion feat as a bonus feat. In addition, you add the following spells to your spell list.

1st: Locate City
3rd: Arcane Sight
4th: Dimension Door
7th: Legend Lore[/spoiler]

Realm Write-up (Only change was swapping charger encounter for shocker lizards):
Spoiler: ShowHide

New Demiplane: Alyssum

Alyssum is a place of open fields and mountains. The fields are host to villages and farms, while the mountain ranges form a massive natural labyrinth, riddled with valleys and cave systems.

The largest city of the plane is built around the Alyssum Royal Academy.

Alyssum Traits

- Normal gravity

- Normal time

- Finite size: 300,000 sq. mi. Alyssum is bordered on all sides by mountains.

- Divinely Morphic: Certain powerful creatures (Alyssa and node Deities for now) can alter Alyssum with a thought. Normal creatures find Alyssum as easy to alter as the Prime Material Plane.

- No elemental traits.

- Normal magic

Alyssum Links

Alyssum exists within the Gates of the Moon and is linked to it.

Alyssum Inhabitants

Alyssum is home to wanderers and settlers of all races, as long as they pursue knowledge in good faith (and not to hide or hoard it). The flora and fauna of all types that fit the terrain exist in Alyssum. Alyssum openly welcomes Druids of all kinds and with them come a variety of life.

Movement and Combat

Movement on Alyssum is the same as on the Prime Material Plane, as is combat.

Features of Alyssum

Alyssum Royal Academy

A sprawling campus, focused not only on magical learning, but education and trade skill of all types, centered around a massive library. The library is a massive spire, with the higher levels dedicated to the discovery of knowledge and revelation of secrets. Alyssa's personal quarters sit at the top the of the spire.

Labyrinth Mountains

The mountains are especially eye-catching as many of the ridges and spires are angled, or outright bent, to create a sort of natural canopy, making surveying from the air extremely difficult. Exploration of this labyrinth can only be done by foot in many places. Many of the hidden valleys are idyllic: wide and deep bowls, flowing rivers and natural springs, soil rich with nutrients, and oftentimes with large sections of evergreen trees. In an odd trait of the plane, once such a valley is found and settled, to include a school, the ridges and peaks that hid it from above are often found to bend away, opening them being seen and approached from the air.

Ianvasah's Grove

Ianvasah's Grove is both a memorial and refuge for all Druids, established to honor a fallen friend and blessed by Selune and Alyssa. It's a place of pure nature and a gathering place for Druids to establish connections between each other and exchange knowledge and ideas. It's open to any who wish to visit and are willing to respect the rules of the Druids who reside there.

The Great Library of the Royal Academy

The Great Library is one of the largest and most in-depth libraries in the planes. The Librarians, often Clerics of Alyssa, come and go freely, and even have a small sub-sect of themselves who travel on expeditions to find any all books they can to add to the library. The library itself is the spire which Alyssa resides in, on the top floor. Each higher level of the spire holds more advanced, and dangerous, knowledge. At the top levels of the spire, there's an entire floor dedicated to delving into the most dangerous knowledge in the planes, to include trying to peer into the knowledge of the Far Realm. Alyssa herself often works on this level, doing research and trying to uncover the most secret of knowledges to add to her library.

The Guildhall of Alyssum

Sitting opposite of the entrance to the Royal Academy, across a great public square and market of many fountains, sits the Guild-house of Alyssum. This is the single largest hall for tradesmen and trade apprenticeship in the planes. It's a place of open collaboration and project planning. Many skilled tradesmen gather here to find others who can teach them more, or to build a company to garner work and reputation.

Notable People of Alyssum

Alyssa Songsteel: Queen

Alyssa is the unopposed ruler of Alyssum. Her touch on the daily lives of those who call Alyssum home is light, as long none tread over her tenets. She favors a hands-off approach to rulership and imposes few laws or rules, but those that exist are iron-clad and enforced with her full might. She is new to divinity and her realm is likewise new. She encourages the exploration and settlement of it as a means to expand it.

Jarem Aruwood

A newly ascended deity, Jarem currently leads the combined armies of Alyssum. A worshiper of The Red Knight before his ascension, Jarem was assigned by The Red Knight to assist Alyssa and protect her once it was revealed that she was being targeted by Shar.

Emily Aryn

Another newly ascended deity, Emily is the daughter of two Goddesses. She is the righteous wrath of Alyssum, often the driving force behind missions to free slaves and strike at Sharran outposts. She embodies passion for liberation and freedom, and brings energy and a sense of purpose to many missions.

Bastian

A orc follower of Shaundakul before ascension, Bastian is the quiet and steadfast anchor of the Alyssum Gods. He often hunts the shadows, and is given the task of finding and protecting the realm against dangers unseen.

Dolmaya Augurson

An immortal Empress in her own right, Dolmaya is the known Proxy of Alyssa. She often takes personal interest and control over the larger and more critical events of the plane. As Proxy, she holds full authority to settle any matter that might cross her path.

Delaize

Delaize is a mentor, friend, and adviser to Alyssa. He is often found overseeing the administrative side of Alyssum and is known to be wise and fair. And to have Alyssa's full backing, should any seek to subvert him.

Walt Songsteel

Father of Alyssa Songsteel and master blacksmith. He runs a smithy in Alyssum. While he has no official authority or placing in the administration of the plane, he is respected and Alyssa can often be found working in his forge alongside him on projects.

Alilynn Songsteel

Mother of Alyssa Songsteel and master seamstress. She runs her own tailoring shop in Alyssum. While she has no official authority or placing in the administration of the plane, she is respected and Alyssa can often be found taking tea with her. She makes the majority of Alyssa's formal wear, in an odd quirk, as Alyssa prefers to involve her in such events.

Alihana Songsteel

Sister of Alyssa Songsteel and student at the Royal Academy. Though not blessed with odd turns of fate that lead Alyssa to her current power, Alihana is now blossoming into what she should have been. While her current goals are still undecided, she is exploring her potential and talents. Though not having always seen eye to eye with Alyssa, she can often be found conspiring with her sister over things some might consider mundane. She is currently apprenticed to Dolmaya and being evaluated by her for potential.

Alyssum Encounters

Use this tables to determine random encounters within Alyssum.

d%EncounterNumber
1-20Faithful of Shaundakul1d2
21-30Faithful of Selune1d3
31-40Faithful of the Red Kngiht1d6
41-50Faithful of Jarem1d6
51-60Faithful of Emily1d4
61-70Faithful of Bastian1d2
71-75Druid1
76-80Hermit-Sage1
81-85Bralani1d2
86-90Ghaele1d2
91-95Lillend1
95-98Shocker Lizards1d8
99Arcane Dragon1
100Unique Encounter*

*A Unique Encounter can be any named PC in Alyssum.

Anastasia

Donald is now in divine writeups.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

I'll be doing one or two of these sets of goals a night. Antenora's was used as an example and is presented here with minimal changes.

Goals

1. I'm going to focus on Balmuria. I'm known there and I can establish a base of faithful there, ones who can spread far and wide. Every faith needs support and this will be my support.
2. I'd like to make some inroads in Lifasa. I'm known there from my aid with Aurora and there's sure to be some penitents there who would welcome a patron.
3. I want to save souls from Baator, and right now my faithful are going to focus on that.

Worshipers

1. Danoth, a half elf paladin 4//rogue 4. He was raised in a Bane worshiping family and escaped, and now seeks to save others from evil. He hails from the Prime Material of Arythma.
2. Meridian, a tiefling from dwarven heritage knight 8//cleric 5/knight of sylica 3. A former executioner of Cyric, he turned to Sylica and then me when he realized her life was a dead end. He hails from the Prime Material of Massas.
3. Val, a dragontouched arctic elf cleric 3//noble 3. A sadist and potential Aurilite badly shaken by a vision of heaven spell. I'm answering her prayers and helping her overcome her darkness. She hails from the Prime Material of Hamar.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Next up Cresiel's. He was going to go first - Moore and Alyssa deserve first bite at the apple here, but Antenora happened to be premade as an example - so here he is.

Goals

1. I want to work with my parents, to establish myself through their strong connections. I can trust them.
2. Lifasa will understand what I bring, and I will find faithful there. I will not accept anything else.
3. There are so many to protect, but what about those who need to protect themselves? Let's start there.

Worshipers

1. Shauson, a dwarf fighter 8/dwarven defender 1//monk 9. He saw his parents die to defend him. He defends others to cope with his trauma. He lives in the realm of Lemdor.
2. Loegran, an ogre mage ogre mage 5//healer 5. He is a brute in form, but refuses to live like one after he met a saint. He hails from the Prime of Kadur.
3. Sarinne, a treant 7//wilder 7. He is the result of a druid's work but all he wants to do is protect others. He is from the Elemental Plane of Air.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Now we'll take a dip to the Jarem side.

Goals

1. Figure out what I really want out of this and my followers.
2. Get a church running somewhere, anywhere really. Grow.
3. Decide what I'm going to do about her offer.

Worshipers

1. Sarulan, a half goblin/half half-elf rogue 4//mariner 4. Yeah, he's a mutt but he knows how important a good plan is. He has potential.
2. Yanny, a dragontouched dwarf cleric 3//monk 3. Let's just say he's an old friend from home who finally found a calling. It's a long story.
3. Radiance Alive, an astral deva 16//marshal 16. Turns out I impressed some people, and I think she encouraged a few to come over. Strong guy, no doubt.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

So Alyssa has these:
[Wrists]Feldane: These iron bracers are carved with images of city walls, tall and imposing. They grant the benefits of bracers of armor+9. The wearer counts as two size categories larger for the sake of combat maneuvers, including CMB and CMD.

The size category thing: does it ever interact with Superior Mighty Wallop?