News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

No new spells this morning, busy morning before session. Last call on yesterday's spells before I move them over before session start.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

No spells today either, morning was also busy. I'll do some over the weekend.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Grace of Prey and Tears of Rebirth added to the SC. Lightning Tornado needs a little more time, as I realized sor/wiz doesn't get whirlwind or greater whirlwind. It's a bit silly to give them a turbo version, so I'll tweak it into a druid spell or tweak it to be a better sor/wiz spell. Or something.

New spells over the weekend, had a busy set of mornings this week.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Saturday's spells are a pair of vicious ones. Namely the darker side of enchantment.

Mass Mind Conversion
Enchantment [Evil, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 14
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Targets: One creature/level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell allows you to replace the personalities of the target with whatever you wish. This can range from a subtle change that leaves everything else intact to a complete personality rewrite. This can change any aspect of their personality that you wish and even add or cure mental illnesses. This includes the creature's alignment, religious beliefs and similar things.

This spell does not erase the creature's past memories, but any memories that go against its new outlook and personality are viewed as a personal failure to be corrected. The targets find their new changes agree with them (unless you wish otherwise) and will not seek to reverse the changes, even if they become aware of them.

This spell can only be reversed by a wish or miracle spell that succeeds on an opposed caster level check against the caster of this spell.

You can choose what changes you make in each target separately.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Remove Free Will
Enchantment [Evil, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 10
Components: V, S, M
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell removes the free will of the creature touched. The creature becomes incapable of independent action and will only act when commanded by another, and will generally obey any command it understands. It is treated as being neutral in alignment (unless it has the good, evil, lawful or chaotic subtypes, in which case it retains the relevant alignments), as it lacks the ability to make choices for itself and thus any ability to make moral decisions. The creature lacks emotions unless commanded otherwise, unable to feel anything.

Creatures affected by this spell are little more than slaves.

Should a creature be freed from this spell, they remember everything they did. Such creatures almost invariably find this highly traumatic and suffer a great deal from their time under this spell.

Material Component

A teardrop.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

You remember that trap in Spellhold that would just fucking flatten your entire party in Baldur's Gate 2? Now you can have it on demand to flatten other people!

Corridor Crush
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 12
Components: V, S
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Target: Hallway section up to 40ft in diamater and up to 200ft long
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

With a hiss of compressed air you cause a structure to crush one of its internal sides against the other, flattening anything within. This spell only functions within enclosed structures of worked stone or some other manufactured material, it fails when cast in natural caverns. Roll a bull rush attempt against every creature within the area with a CMB check equal to your caster level + your intelligence or charisma modifier + 28. Failure against any given creature's CMD stops the wall's progress, preventing any further effect for the round. Success crushes all creatures against the opposite wall, inflicting 20d6 bludgeoning damage and leaving the victims pinned. On each following round roll a further CMB check equal to your caster level + your intelligence or charisma modifier + 26 with success inflicting 20d6 bludgeoning damage and maintaining the pin (if the wall was stopped on a previous round this same check is used as a bull rush attempt as in the first round). Failure against any given creature's CMD only prevents damage for that creature and does not prevent other creatures from suffering damage or being pinned.

You can choose whether to have the left or right side wall be the one that performs the crush, with it being projected out of the surrounding structure on machinery made of the same substance as its surroundings. This does not compromise the integrity of the tunnel or building or have any impact on surrounding rooms.

Anastasia

Today's spell offering. A unique one to be sure. The level may be a little high, it's a hard spell to judge.

One Good Deed
Conjuration/Divination (Healing)
Level: Sanctified 15
Components: V, S, Sacrifice
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Touch; see text
Target: Living creature touched; see text
Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You may only cast this spell within one minute of the completion of a good deed that benefits another creature. The creature targeted must be a creature that benefited from your good deed. This gives the target the benefit of a heal spell and they receive a vision of how this good deed will improve the future. This vision feels completely natural to the creature, though they are also aware is it the result of magic. The creature instinctively understands that this healing is a reward for the good deed, and that though many good deeds go without immediate reward, that they do matter. This vision only takes a moment and does not interfere with the target's actions.

However, the greatest property of this spell is that it spreads. Should the target do a good deed that benefits another living creature before the spell's duration expires, this spell moves to that creature. The creature is healed as the original creature was and both receive the vision of how this good deed improves the future. Should that second creature do another good deed in the spell's duration, this process repeats, with every creature affected receiving the vision each time.

This spell does not provide any coercion, but instead allows creatures to see how one good deed can cascade and continue to improve the world around them. Should a good deed affect multiple living creatures, the spell moves to the creature who would gain the most benefit from it.

Sacrifice

1d4 points of Wisdom damage.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, Saturday's and today's spells are going in tomorrow, so get in any comments now.

Also belatedly put Ranbar's Smite into the spell collection. It's on her sheet but somehow never made it over.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, quick interest check.

Next week I have doctor things on the 14th, 16th and 17th. The 14th is a Monday so we're not hit by that, but the 16th is the eye doc and is an auto cancel that day. The 17th is the dentist and while we may get something in, it'll likely be a late start. With two days compromised as it is and with the fact I was planning on taking a week off in July, do you want to take next week off and combine the two?
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Ebiris

Anastasia

Okay, I'll wait on Cor and Neph to chime in.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Corwin

<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on May 23, 2021, 07:31:54 PM
Seira

I found the discussion with Kossuth interesting less for what was said - I mean I'm the DM so I already know what's up - but instead Seira's reactions. It wasn't quite what I expected and that made it noteworthy. I understand why she called it a villain rant, it's just not the perspective I expected.

That aside since it's just an eyebrow raise of interest rather than a party insight? I really enjoy how Seira's going after this dungeon and the possibilities here. It should be a lot of fun to see how it all hashes out and I think Seira took a good party for it. Kascha in particular feels overdue (and I enjoy her more mechanically than most in the node) so I'm looking forward to this. It's the sort of situation that invites zany PC antics and solutions.

Edit: I quickly reckoned who I liked mechanically in each node and oddly enough Kascha ended up middle of the pack. Seira's is a really tough field though, since I like Sanzha's madalani gimmick, enjoy Donald's build a lot, really like Amaryl being an arrow stations and...well, you get the idea. Tough field.

Looking back, it was a nice choice. I thought Elle would protest more, so since she didn't I let her go back early. I do wish to see more of Sanzha's opinion there, I'm sure she thinks it's terrible but has the experience to state it in a way that won't end with Bwimb in tears.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake