News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

Io's Labyrinth

Started by Anastasia, December 12, 2018, 12:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

The old man laughs, "I don't know. I've forgotten, it's been so long."
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

When there's a will, there's a way! Especially if it's divine will! Seira channels it to figure it out.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Nephrite

"Hmm, why don't you think about it while we handle the rest of the maze, then?" Moore asks, moving to take the staff from him. "That way, once we're done, you'll have... ah, well, an Answer, at least for yourself, and then we can figure out where you want to go after that."

Anastasia

Loot post is updated with a new item.

Seira divines his name was once Madigar.

Meanwhile, "I will," The old man says, "I'll be waiting. ...thank you..." he adds after, quieter. "Thank you for listening to a forgotten old man."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"Not a problem, Magidar," Seira assures him. "Oh, just one more thing. What's past the doors you're... guarding, is it? Resting against?"

Nephrite

Moore's eyes widen a bit as he hefts the staff. "Goodness, you weren't kidding." He says quietly.

Anastasia

"Madigar! That's it!" The old man perks up, "My name's Madigar!" Laughing loudly, "Madigar! How did I forget? Madigar!" Laughing and laughing, a joyous sound, "Oh, oh!"

In due time his mirth calms, "Have you noticed the walls?" he asks, "How they change color as you explore this place? The way you came is a darker blue, like that of a blue dragon. Yet slowly it changes as you goes, for Io is the creator of all dragons. Glossy and ultimately metallic. Doors lead to paths to where great dragons of the type that matches the wall await."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"Aha! Thanks!"

It's tempting to go and face off against a great dragon, but Seira decides to explore the orb in this room first!

Ebiris

"Dragons that struck similar deals as you?" Alicia asks. "Have you spoken to them, or does your thoughtful solitude not allow for that, Madigar?" she uses his name after asking her question to help it stick in his mind a bit better.

Anastasia

"Madigar, Madigar..." The old man murmurs. "I have not. I got my exact wish, not what I truly wanted in time and wisdom."

Meanwhile explores the orb. It's similar to the other two talking orbs, she notes, at least in appearance.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Alicia nods. "In any case, we will entreat with Io on your situation when we next meet him," she says, going to join Seira now at the orb.

Nephrite

Moore offers him a bow! "We'll be back in some fashion." He promises him.

Corwin

Anastasia

Antenora is still silent, following Alicia with her gaze faraway.

Meanwhile Amaryl follows, "That poor old man. You're right, Jetina, we should help him. He can have a home in any of our realms if he wants one."

"He can. I'll make space for him at Hope's Landing if that sounds like the place he'd like to go to." Jetina agrees, "I'll have Grias make him a nice room up."

"Grias?" Amaryl asks, glancing over at Jetina. "Who is that?"

"Oh, he essentially runs all the mundane parts of Hope's Landing," Jetina says, "He's really busy and mature for a lantern archon."

A sharp glance from Amaryl, "You have a lantern archon - ?" A frown, "Then again, Marie..." she murmurs that trailing off into silence.

That entire side conversation is cut off by the sphere being touched. Again Io's voice is heard.

"At times, I looked to the other races for inspiration. Humans are the dominant mortal species. They are relatively short lived, but not so short lived as to have insufficient time to grow and determine their eternal fate. They are fully free willed, adaptable and can go in any direction, with a full pantheon to allow them to grow in any way they wish. In that I came to the conclusion that mortality was a mistake. Certainly the humans provide a steady stream of souls to become spirits. Yet humans are ultimately disposable, tiny crumbs of knowledge and potential compared to greater races. They are a flood of mediocrity that seeks to rise to perfection through sheer dint of numbers."

A pause and then, "In them I found the resolution to ensure my children were not touched by the hand of death through aging, and defy aging by growing more powerful with time instead of feebler."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"I'm so glad we could help," Alicia says flatly after that dismal summary of her species.