News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

Date night

Started by Anastasia, June 11, 2019, 01:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

"That is a wise observation," Xerona agrees, "You are both correct. Groups and events that are relevant to an Answer are both more likely to experience this growth - but it is never consistent, never fully predictable. The divine can nurture it, gain a wise eye for when it is more likely. However, there is an inconsistency to it. The work of the Incarnation of Chaos and perhaps the unknown nature of the Answer is why. The simplest way to gather champions and groups together is to Compete and thus create situations that pertain to the Answer."

Syala takes that in, "That's what' we're doing," she finally says. "Give important champions important tasks that mean something. Sound advice nonetheless."

"Watch for those who advance suddenly for no seeming reason," Xerona councils. "The opposite is true as well. At times one advances for seemingly no reason at all. Not only are they valuable, but they may have found an insight or some meaning that eludes us."
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

She remembers what Eladi warned her about, of Ao's distractions. The God King was one of them, and it still spurred growth... yet the Answer is fundamentally irrelevant as well given Creation is to be ended regardless.

Troubling to think about.

"What was that you said about Ranbar being empowered earlier, Syala? Is there some way to simply force it?" she asks her wife. "I was just thinking about Calley. He was given all of Sylvie's skill and power... but what is given, can't it not also be forcibly taken?" That would be a terrifying escalation, heroes and dark champions alike being ambushed by those with yet greater power and harvested to graft their talents onto more compliant followers.

Anastasia

Ranbar was my will.

The voice of Zaphkiel comes from the lips of Xerona, spoken clearly.

"As I thought," Syala says, "That's..." A trail off there, "I've never heard of that happening in such a way, but...that sounds like something she could do." Syala's voice trails away, into a worried grimace. "We've seen some variant of it is possible with Malcanthet's scheming, though that may be more like a loan given and taken."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"I don't see long term value in it," Alicia admits. "Power given can't be wielded as effectively as power learned... if you grow into it you learn the ins and outs of every spell, every stance, you develop techniques to handle equivalent opponents and refine them to tackle greater threats. That wisdom can't be given. But for disposable assassins and shock troops it's frightening, especially if you can recall that strength and just give it to another catspaw afterwards."

"Still, it's a distraction from the main point. What we want is a better way of encouraging our followers to actually surpass those limits of power on their own, the right approach or nudges to boost their odds. It sounds like considering the Answer and the clash between ethoses and morals is the way forward?"

Anastasia

Xerona agrees with, "Yes. Practice and time will give you a better eye for it. Be fruitful and continue on and this will resolve for you - and in the meantime, gather those to you who are already advancing and growing. Lure them to you away from darkness, away from the wicked. Emmaline is one such you have saved, Antenora is another. Do not content yourself with only pursuing those already sworn to you."

"So it sounds like we're on the right path, but need to keep going and keep getting better." Syala concludes. "Oraga's another one. Maybe that one traitor of Lifasa who showed regret could be another to one, some day. Find those without any deity and bring them to us as well."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"It's easier because we already have our eyes on those ones, someone like Emmaline falling into our laps already strong and trained up by the enemy is a fortuitous happenstance. It's something we can keep an eye out for though." Pity they're stretched thin with all the wars, can't really spare resources for that sort of hunt. But the crucible of war may yet produce champions on Aurora or Daun or wherever the Abolition War is fought.

"Thank you for indulging our questions Xerona, Zaphkiel," she bows her head. "We won't take up more of your time."

Anastasia

"Thank you," Latha comes forward and bows her head as well.

At this Xerona and turns to the light. "You stood here once, Latha. Would you do it again?"

A stunned silence follows, "I would be honored, but I can't. Not now. I know if I look again, I won't come back." Latha says, regret in her voice, "Answer me this instead: When it's over, when all is safe and we at last have an Answer one day in the future, will I be able to pass this bridge?"

"Yes. On the last day, if on no other day," Xerona agrees with that, voice calm. "We would have everyone have that joy, even those who dwell deepest in the darkness, should they be willing to seek it."

Latha takes a breath and turns away, towards Alicia and Syala. "Let's go," she says, framed by the light of Chronias from beyond.

You've grown strong of heart, Latha. Do not forget that.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Alicia focuses her eyes on Latha, silhouetted by that light. "I'm grateful you remain with us, my friend," she says, reaching out to take Latha's hand as they depart from the bridge.

"Lets go and visit the Cauldron next? We can learn more about where and how the war progresses so we can better deploy our forces and our own strength where it's needed."

Anastasia

Latha takes your hand...and pulls you into a hug. As you feel her warm body against yours she murmurs, "All of you are the strength that allows me to stay," she says, softly. "The reason I have to stay here and rise higher, to grow higher rather than leave all of this."

Amid that you feel the connection to Latha strengthen and grow as...

Node update. That was the right reply to that chance for it.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

She smiles warmly at Latha. "Like she said, it will always be there waiting for you. For now all of us have much still to do."

Anastasia

And thus you return and...

Next move?
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

We'll go visit the Cauldron and get caught up on the war and see where might be good for us to go see some action.

Anastasia

Thus the three of you appear outside the Cauldron. As you do?

The bonds you have with us are beautiful, Alicia.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Thank you.

Pausing at the edge of the Cauldron she gives a divine 'knock' for Seira or Amaryl or Kascha to respond to.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.