Advancement

Started by Anastasia, August 22, 2019, 12:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebiris

"Why does he want to betray Malcanthet, and what's his price?" Alicia asks, the five of them atop a tower overlooking the city, the wind keeping their words from reaching any other, blurring their lips in case of eagle-eyed lip-readers watching from far away. "It feels a bit convenient."

Anastasia

"The thought did occur to me," Syala says, "He wants to betray her because Malcanthet let another demon claim souls he earned."

"It does feel convenient," Antenora agrees, "Could be a trick by Malcanthet to lure us into a trap? Surely she realized that we'd see it for what it is, though."
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

"It feels very much like a trap," Alicia agrees. "His price?"

Anastasia

"One hundred thousand gold coins, in Rounds only," Syala says.

"Greedy and daring and a betrayer and possibly a liar," Antenora lists off, "This fiend is at least courageous. He specified mercane coinage?"

"He wanted nothing to link him to Sylica from this," Syala notes, "He emphasized that point."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"Sensible enough," Alicia allows. "I dislike it, but a betrayal of Malcanthet should be rewarded - and if the information proves unreliable or leads us into a prepared defence he will need to be dealt with swiftly and with prejudice. How strong a demon is he?" One that can be called up with a planar binding spell is one that can't escape a betrayal after all.

Anastasia

"An ascended tiefling," Syala says, "His name is Robreaux. He's a smooth talker, smart and skilled with knives and smaller blades. Doesn't have much of a reputation, he's mostly stayed to the Abyss once he ascended. Still reasonably capable, he has a decent amount of authority and what I did find suggests he's a fair match to a nalfeshnee or so."

"Descended," Antenora corrects.

<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Alicia smiles at Antenora's correction. "We can work with that. If his information doesn't pan out, he won't have a chance to spend his money."

Anastasia

"Descended," Syala doesn't fight it, "Your point is well taken, Mrs. Reynes." Going on from that after, "Do you want to be there for this, Antenora?"

"Yes," Her answer is immediate, "Perhaps I can convince him to put aside more than Malcanthet."

"If that doesn't work and he's a liar, he won't get the chance," Syala agrees.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"Good luck," Marie says, giving Antenora a smile.

He could've asked for protection but given the currency he chose it's clear he's looking to remove himself far from the situation. Still, stranger things have happened so Alicia just nods, approving of Antenora's efforts and the spirit they're made in.

Anastasia

Marie gets a fond smile before, "Alicia, how intimidating can you be?" Antenora asks. "I believe putting the fear of the Heavens in him may be wise."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"A meeting with three deities? Even if we intimidate him it's still a lot of attention for just one tiefling," Alicia says with a faint scoff. "He might get conceited."

Anastasia

"Pride leads to a fall, does it not?" Antenora says, "I want you there to scare him like he's never been scared before. Let him know we are not fools to be played."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"Then I'll be at my scariest," Alicia solemnly promises.

Anastasia

For my own reference, how high can you get your Intimidate score up, assuming Antenora asks you nicely to go for it? Or otherwise employ some other measure of scariness.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

+95 using greater heroism, greater visage of the deity, divine insight, and guidance of the avatar (with a circumstance +4 per size category I have over the victim if I decide to go huge, which I probably wouldn't for this unless Antenora asks).