Striving for 777

Started by Anastasia, October 29, 2019, 10:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Okay Moore, we'll start this one OOC. Next move after Alyssa?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

Return to Lifasa and Tepen to resume work on Sylvie's research that eventually let to Bibliotheca Arcana.

Anastasia

Sure. Had you made any checks on it yet?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Gimme a round 2 to represent how well you deal with the interruption, I suppose. This is more supplementary.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

112 and 107, plus...

[21:41] <Nephrite> roll 1d20+102
[21:41] <Penuche> Nephrite invokes Penuche's magic: < 109 > [d20=7]

Anastasia

You work on it. Days pass as you lose yourself, but one thing is clear - you think you understand the concept. In theory, you could tap in.

The problem? Without a powerful spell carefully guiding and limiting it, it's like dropping an ocean to put out a campfire - overkill, destructive and ultimately nothing but a terrible mistake.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

That shouldn't be terribly difficult -- he has a spell that works as a framework, he just has to change it a little bit.

Moore's idea here would be to almost turn it into a "Commune with Knowledge" spell, where the caster is effectively under the same stipulations as Commune (i.e. they can't take other actions other than focus on the spell) and it's time limited in some nature, but they can basically ask any questions they want and receive information based on those questions from... well, knowledge and information, if that makes sense.

Anastasia

Sure, try writing up the bones of it.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

The barest of bones:

Commune with Knowledge
Divination

This spell puts you in contact with the source of knowledge in Creation. You may ask any question you wish and receive an answer.

The answers given are correct within the limits of known knowledge. You may ask one question per five caster levels.

The answers may be of any length and come in any form, not necessarily just words.

This spell cannot provide you information on knowledge that has been made anathemic.

If you lag, discuss the answers, or go off to do anything else, the spell ends.

Anastasia

Okay.

As you sketch out an idea, Tepen looks over your work. "Fascinating, fascinating...but will it be safe?"
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

"I think, I understand how a spell like Commune was created to begin with." Moore says as he taps a piece of paper. "It focuses the spell onto one thing and limits the answers you get so that even at that level, it's able to be understood."

A nod after that. "With this, you're still focusing -- instead of tapping into a deity, you tap into knowledge... and you still have to ask questions and receive answers. I think doing it that way effectively limits the harm that it could do. I suppose, ultimately, I could just go to Dweomerheart and ask to be seen by Lady Mystra herself, if we end up with something that may still be dangerous."

Anastasia

"If it works," Tepen says, "You speak of such things with a lightness I can hardly believe, even after all of this."
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Moore smiles. "I have a great deal of hope in the things I create nowadays." He gestures around at Tepen's home. "Call it Lifasan intuition. Or something like that, anyway. I'm not just going to test it out and see if my brain explodes, you know."

Anastasia

Tepen gives you a looooong look at that. "Moore, the fact that you have to say you weren't going to test it says something."
<Afina> Forever.