News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

Deep into the Infinite Stair

Started by Anastasia, November 08, 2019, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

You think she genuinely isn't sure.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

"A key would make sense, wouldn't it? It's called the staircase but it's just as much about doors as it is about steps. The right key, and the right lock to turn it in..." she hums thoughtfully.

Anastasia

"True, if not helpful because you have no idea what the key would be," Valnala says, "If you have any ideas, share."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"Haha, that's why we came to you remember," Alicia points out. "Searching blindly for a key's a fools errand, but the lock - the door. That has to be right here, doesn't it?" she taps a foot on the floor. "That's a far better starting point to work from."

Anastasia

"...there may be one thing that can help," Valnala says at last.

"About time," Jessica says, "Out with it, bird."

With a look of exasperation, "Impudent human," she bites off, "It's not well known, but on rare occasions there's platforms with no stairs to them, seen from afar. Our scouts can never reach them, they vanish before they do or they are taken off course."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"That sounds like a clue. Do those platforms have doors on them? Do they appear in any sort of predictable pattern?" Alicia asks with obvious interest.

Anastasia

"Sometimes and it's not clear," Is the answer, "None that we've ever discerned."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"Only sometimes? Do the doors look different?" Alicia asks. Since you can often get an idea of where one leads by how it looks on the stair.

Anastasia

"None have gotten close enough to tell details, not any reputable legend or report," Valnala says, "No, it's always far away, too far away to tell."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"Hmm. Know if anyone's been researching these in more detail?" Alicia asks. "Ever tried any divinations to predict them?"

Anastasia

"No one worthwhile," Is the answer, "Divinations fail on the matter, revealing nothing."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"So it's a lead but the sort of one you could spend an elf's lifetime walking on the stairs before you even see one of these stray platforms, nevermind have a shot at reaching it?" Alicia concludes. For reaching it, her space compression magic could be key, but it's worthless if none are found.

Anastasia

"Yes." A thin smile is on the lillend's face, "It's hardly easy if we haven't solved it."

To that Jessica barks out a laugh, "That's right. Girlie there's thinking about treasure already, like she has it, I bet."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Alicia rolls her eyes at that interruption. "It's a start, isn't it?" Then she asks Valnala, "You said no one worthwhile's studying these stray platforms. Anyone else worthwhile at least interested in these legends in general?"

Anastasia

At this Valnala smiles, a rather serpentine, dangerous look. Like a snake sizing up a mouse. "Why, we're having a lovely conversation, aren't we?"
<Afina> Forever.