News:

"Why do you call it soulriders?"
"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

Deep into the Infinite Stair

Started by Anastasia, November 08, 2019, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

"I don't think it does, sister. Does Antenora's inspirations for the Opal Mountain diminish it, or do any of our inspirations diminish Sylica?" Jessica asks back.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

"A little bit," Alicia admits candidly. "But that's taking inspiration from huge meaningful places, ones dear to our hearts. What could Morwel have possibly seen here that would move her in the same fashion? Mount Celestia isn't grand because it's a big rock, it's grand because of the people that live on it."

Anastasia

"And yet, those here are unrealized dreams," Jessica murmurs.

"Unrealized, forgotten..." The Queen says, voice melancholy, "Until I awaken my people and create my servants."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"Why was it unrealised?" she asks as much for the guardian as the Queen. "Why was this place made only to be put aside and a near exact copy used instead?"

Anastasia

It is the Guardian who speaks, "This was decided to be insufficient."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"Why was it insufficient, and why replace it with something so similar? Couldn't it just be altered?" she asks.

Anastasia

"They chose to begin again," Is the answer, disinterested. "They did not deign to tell me why."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Why even bother asking, right? "Do you know why this one was insufficient, then?"

Anastasia

"They were displeased with the creatures to patrol it," Is the answer, bored. "They found the qualities of ants to be tiresome."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"All three Incarnations found a particular race to be tiresome?" Alicia's stride breaks slightly at that. Really? Considering the wild differences between all of Creation's intelligent beings, what possible quality could these have had that merited non-existence?

Anastasia

"Yes," is the only answer you get.

Jessica frowns, "Perhaps the Incarnations are more selective than we imagined, sister?"

Then, after a moment, more comes from the Guardian. "Do not be surprised. Many deities were not the first of their kind created, unknown to any of them."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"I suppose... the Incarnation of Law seemed quite willing to kill Mystra and try again if she dallied too long on choosing a home plane. They don't like indecisiveness... which is rather hypocritical on any kind of closer examination," Alicia admits. "But a quality across an entire race that they found disagreeable... and why leave their mortal shells behind? It feels like there's more to it than that. Like there's some future payoff yet to be uncovered."

Anastasia

"I will be their Queen!" The Queen speaks up now, interrupting. "Give it to me, Guardian!" Her voice is high, frantic, "Before they reach it and take it!"

There is no reply to that. Instead, "Perhaps those that overcome my trials will rule here," The Guardian says at last, "I care little if they do or not."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"Peace, your Majesty," Alicia says gently. "I have my own realm I'm perfectly happy with."

Anastasia

Silence falls - and thus you walk on. The roots grow thicker here - and you notice that the clusters of ant-dwarves are thicker now. Larger, more of them.  Down and down ou walk - and at last you see it ahead.  A great bottom, a floor of roots and dirt. The steps come down before a simple building, barely the size of a small roadside shrine, just enough space to enter.
<Afina> Forever.