News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

The eternal battles forward

Started by Anastasia, May 02, 2020, 12:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

"Nothing but the usual," Syala says in agreement.

Just a quick check of if you have anything you'll do in preparation for this. If not we'll move along to the next thing.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

Anastasia

That evening you watch Jessica's children. They're scattered about the large living room, dozed off as the gentle blanket of night passes over Sylica. Jessica and Roald sit opposite you, both looking disheveled and tired.

"Everything and yet rambunctious children still exhaust me," Jessica declares, as if an affront against her.

Roald lets out a soft sigh as he puts an arm around her. "Will was good today," he says, as if hopeful it's an omen.

"Except for the crockery." Jessica adds, almost absently.

"Except for that," Roald agrees, a second sigh.

War. War always rages. Daun. Conflict. A wedge of dwarves in undersea caverns against those of the sea, a darkwater battle that flickers across your awareness. A spark, a sacrifice. A commander manages a partial counterspell, to redirect a powerful iceball swarm spell onto himself rather than his company of clerics of Moradin.

Oh, you brave soul.

Perfume and a gentle sorrow, a warmth that pervades that in spite of the sorry. You feel Sulia's presence as you feel the stony surety of Moradin's silent gaze.

Pain and endurance, unspeakable and unfathomable endurance. Ilmater's presence is next to Sulia's in your mind, and in that moment the sorrow from her dims.

Yet there is the faintest presence of four eyes. The presence of rage, of madness that licks at the back of your mind. Of eyes boring into your own, watching this dreadful battle from afar.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"It's nice that they're so energetic," Alicia says, the privilege of an aunt who just gets to enjoy them at her own pace and then gracefully bow out when the going gets tough.

Meanwhile of course her mind continues to explore other spaces, watching the war on Daun, so many deities swirling their attention around this one battle, sharing in the sorrow but giving her approval to the commander's bravery and selflessness, hoping the other warriors don't lose their cohesion without command.

And Demogorgon watches too? She regards that malice back but makes no move to escalate things. Sulia already warned her that they don't want to escalate to deific intervention here, so all she does is watch and provide her blessings where they will be taken.

Anastasia

"Mother and Father take them for a week tomorrow," Jessica says at last, "I feel as if I'll be able to get so much more done."

"Says the lovely wife with an avatar," Roald retorts with no heat in his voice, giving Jessica a wry look instead.

Meanwhile, as loved ones banter away?

LOOK AT WHAT WEHAVE FOUND!

Four eyes gaze at you. Crimson and green, black and blood-brown. A voice roars in your mind, as if all the fury of a storm has erupted within you.

KILL!

KILL!

YOUR SOULIS OURS!

Madness assails as two voices scream in your mind, two voices that demand endlessly and howl for profane furies that you refuse to accept. You stand against this insanity, a call as clear as a trumpet to succumb, to abandon everything but to be devoured.

OFFER YOURSELF TO US!
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"Excuse me, I really should go," Alicia says to Jessica and Roald, standing up, not wanting to be around such wholesome surroundings while a demon harangues her, lest his presence taint her thoughts of this place and her relatives. "Have a good night you two," she says to the pair still awake, quietly slipping out without disturbing the children.

Just who do you think you are talking to?

Her response to Demogorgon is curt and icy cold.

Anastasia

PREY!

WARM MEAT!

WORTHLESS DOLL!

A SACRIFICE!

Images of horror flood your mind. Of your hunt down, of your body devoured scrap by scrap, your screams and the lamentations of your friends in your mind. Of the warmth of your own flesh in your mouth, the coppery tang as you swallow your own blood. 666 torments, each one breaking you down into a mindless doll filled with hooks and barbs, tossed to the scaly horrors who cluster around the befouled mires of Abysm. Of your own sacrifice and murder atop a great tower, like a massive seamount that rises from a churning ocean. You feel your blood pour down, as hundreds and hundreds of sets of eyes open at this, nightmares liberated from the depths below.

As you are now, you withstand this atrocity on your mind, this howling storm of fury and hate - !

Outside of Jessica's home, the night gives way to the gentle light of the dawn. Latha descends from above and as she does, Clarenyre Reborn reborn glows as brightly as she does in her hand. She says not a word, but lays a hand on your shoulder in silent support.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"Hello Latha," she says aloud in greeting as she gets harassed and god-stalked by Demogorgon.

It's the sort of thing she avoids doing to others not only because it's churlish and beneath her but also because it's a needless provocation. Unfortunately despite being so provoked she can't exactly go running off to the Abyss to chastise him at swordpoint.

Enjoy your pathetic imaginings, wretch. They will never become reality.

Anastasia

A scream of fury fills your mind, but it sounds hollow. There is no more after that, the mental assault done.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"That was bracing," she says to Latha, still monitoring that battle on Daun. "I just got to see Demogorgon's hopes for me. All six hundred and sixty six of them."

Anastasia

"I had a moment of intuition that you were under attack," Latha admits, as she holds up Clarenyre Reborn. "Touch this, please?"

The battle rages on, but today fortune is with the dwarves. That sacrifice bought them just enough time to hold firm, to press back their foes. It's not a clean win or a rout, but you can sense the battle is essentially decided.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

She reaches over and touches the flat of the blade, naturally being careful to keep her fingers from its sharp edges!

Anastasia

You feel a sense of sun-warmth and protection, as if you are curled up in a bed with the sun shining down brightly. You can even feel Syala's body warmth next to you, and the warmth of your adopted cat over your legs.

"Clarenyre grew bright and when I touched it, my intuition demanded that I ensure you were safe," Latha explains, "As if the blade itself is protective as a mother lion."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"It was only a mental attack, and paladins are trained to resist horror," Alicia says, smiling nonetheless as she rests her hand on the sword for a moment. "But I feel better now regardless, thank you."

Anastasia

A little smile from Latha, "Hopefully the rest of the time until the negotiations are peaceful," she concurs. "Good luck there."
<Afina> Forever.