News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

The full wheel

Started by Anastasia, August 07, 2020, 12:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephrite

Well, all he can do is do some research into whatever in the world these Quartz Bones of Qualinoth actually are.

119 on the relevant knowledges! Maybe see if the others have heard of them?

Anastasia

It's pretty obscure - but you know something about it. Qualinoth is said to have been a powerful earth elemental, a hero who pushed back Air a dozen times countless ages go. It's said he ultimately fell not to Air, but to Fire and the efreet. Details about it are muddied, some claim he started it and others claim the efreet assassinated him, but all agree that they fought and he lost.

Sylvie takes 10 and does her full skill routine for craziness.

"What isn't so well known," Sylvie says as you all discuss it, "Is that a few legends claim he's the son of an archomental. Most say Ogremoch, but it's so old and faded that I'm not sure I believe that with any competing claims out there."

"So all we have is ancient speculation that you know because you're a goddess of knowledge," Jetina summarizes, "But at least you know what's true and what isn't?"

"If I could get a look at it, I could find out everything, but that's the problem," Sylvie agrees. "Assuming another deity isn't involved and he's actually still dead as well as not beyond our reach as part of something greater, you might be able to resurrect him." She wavers a hand back and forth, "It might not be wise, but it could also work."

At this Kaja speaks up, "Could he be resurrected without a body?"

"Easily," Jetina smiles faintly, "I could do it as I am now if no body remains, such as a victim of disintegration. With this time frame it would take a deity, assuming Grumbar has not chosen to resurrect him or his soul isn't held by another deity. It wouldn't destroy his previous remains, they'd actually be a liability for him."

Xandra considers, "I see nothing in the light of him, at least not yet. I will continue to look."

"Thank you," Jetina smiles to Xandra, "He's obscure and ancient, and...this is a lofty request, even for us," she finally says. "It may be Grumbar wishes to occupy us for some time, or simply wishes us to fail."

"The thought crossed my mind. It wouldn't be the first time a quest is given with no expected hope of success," Sylvie points out, "Been on both ends of it. Gond's bells, I-"

"Excuse you?" Xandra cuts in.

"Bells." Sylvie clears her throat. "Bells."

"Ah, I...misheard and thought you casually blasphemed." Xandra clears her throat. "Ah. Go on."

Kaja smiles ever so slightly at that before he gives in and chuckles, "That's not even a deity of Celestia, Xandra."

"To the point on hand, that's one tactic we could use, but it's best used carefully," Sylvie goes on. "We have others, and even a living Qualinoth may be of little help."

"Also, a strange name for an elemental," Cresiel murmurs. "Especially an earth elemental."
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Nephrite

"Well, either way, we're not going to get the last piece of the Wheel without them, and I doubt the efreet are going to be giving them up willingly." He says. "But I suppose it also means the last piece is also safe. I suppose we could also entreat with others on Earth to see if they could obtain it."

Anastasia

"That's a dangerous workaround if Grumbar hear and takes offense, but it's still a good idea," Sylvie says after several moments, "It's also safe unless it's already lost to us and Grumbar's betrayed us, but if that's true, it's already something we can't do anything about."

"Cheery thought," Kaja grumbles lowly, "I just want to slash something and take it."

"Do you have anyone in mind who could get it, Moore?" Sylvie asks then.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

"No one in particular, but I think I could ask Aurora to do it." Moore says. "The Empty Knight may be able to as well, but I don't want to risk them getting themselves injured. Aurora is probably the safer bet, really. It wouldn't be difficult to arrange and I can just compensate them fairly for the work."

Anastasia

"Assuming they can," Sylvie admits, "Going against Grumbar's protections isn't trivial, even for them."
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

"Well, I wonder if it's... dimensionally warded, or what." Moore says. "We know where Danaxmos is, so it's possible that we're being specifically targeted because of that." Moore says. "I wonder if some other traveler were to happen to Planar Shift themselves somewhere a few miles away would be diverted or blocked." He explains.

Anastasia

"I doubt Grumbar would let it past that easily, but we can try," Sylvie says, "I'll let Aurora know and call a few favors in."

"Well and good if that works, but what if it doesn't?" Kaja asks now, "Do we just wait?"
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

"We don't have a lot of choice." He admits. "We could try and call in our own favors on the deity level... I wonder what would happen if a neutral party just asked about the bones?"

Anastasia

"It depends on which neutral party and where they are in the City of Brass, which boils down to who exactly owns them," Sylvie muses, "We need to know that before anything else."
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

"I'll see what Melia can dig up for us." Moore says. "We can go from there, assuming our other avenues are barred to us. At least for now we also don't have to worry about Yan-C-Bin or any other party getting ahold of the last piece."

Anastasia

Sylvie smiles just a bit at that, "How'd he take his loss?"
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

"I think we made up for whatever diplomatic mistake we had with his attitude and display in front of Akadi." Moore says with a bit of a grin. "I have a feeling we may need to watch out for his interference in things going forward."

Anastasia

"Eggs and omelets," Kaja puts it aside, "Hopefully he'll steam and get over it."

"We're not that lucky, but it may be a long time before it comes up," Cresiel says, "If it's a concern for later, then let it be later's problem. We have enough now."
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Moore nods. "With that, the only other really pressing thing was that matter with Shar's awful Cathedral, but I would rather go there once we have the Wheel. My understanding is it can be used to teleport even in places where that sort of thing is blocked, which I assume that place is." He says.

"We also have the matter of the divine seed in Elysium we could pursue..." A hum after that. "I think that one will take a long time to ever solve as well. I don't think there's anything else immediately pressing, at least that I'm aware of, so it may be time focus on matters here for a while."