News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

Mother

Started by Anastasia, October 15, 2020, 12:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

"A short..." Amaryl begins, "So, I suppose the question is: Who overthrows the Grand Sultan?"
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

"Do you intend to intervene?" Seira asks her curiously. "Our allies didn't ask for our help, and Zaphkiel himself said it wasn't a question of good or evil. Our situation with the various powers on Fire except for Zaaman Rul is shaky, and I don't want to appear as someone who constantly meddles in their affairs. Finally, there's our peace agreement to consider. I just don't think it's good for us to throw our hat into the ring due to all these factors, but maybe you could look into the details and convince me to?"
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

"No, but a new Sultan may decide previous treaties aren't worth the paper they're written on," Amaryl speaks up, "But you're also right and more, there's too many people we don't know about. However, the other leaf is that Lord Zaphkiel went out of his way to tell us about it. That means it's important."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira takes a moment to consider this. Their treaty had three key points. Freedom of all slaves, which was delivered upon. Outlawing slavery, which remains important if highly unpopular, so enforcement would be suspect. And a cessation of hostilities which, frankly, favored the efreet a great deal more than her. The new Sultan breaking the pact would allow her to intervene in strength to enforce the second point herself, and this time there wouldn't be millions of slaves needing a rescue and serving as hostages.

"Still think it would favor us if he did it," she muses, "but that's fine. Can you tell Zaaman Rul we would like to stop by after lunch? We can pool our knowledge, meager though it is."

Anastasia

"I'll tell him right away," Amaryl says, going silent. After perhaps half a minute, "He cordially invites us."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira snorts. "I can tell your heart's not in this, so let's table the picnic for another time." She rises to her feet, offering her hand to Amaryl. "Shall I take us over to Zaaman Rul's realm?"

Anastasia

"I love the picnic," Amaryl says as she takes your hand. "But in these heavy days, words from Lord Zaphkiel can't be ignored."

Any prep real quick?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

No. Just taking us into the entrance of his realm after a quick knock.

Anastasia

You are taken in with great honor and warm greetings. You meet Zaaman Rul before his tower, fire elementals in an honor guard that follows him. "Seira!" he calls, wearing a uniform of red hot steel, an orange tabard over it. On his tabard are metals that glow hot and bright, like little stars.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Seira is dressed in her adventuring clothing, same as always! "It's been a while, my friend," she greets him.

Anastasia

Your shoulder is clasped as he smiles, "It's good to see you. You too, Amaryl."

Amaryl curtsies, "It is. You look dashing."

With a warm smile, "Well, come on, we can talk somewhere better."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"Certainly!" Seira agrees.

Anastasia

It is atop the tower. The view lets you see for many miles from here as you feel the hot winds blows. Crackles of flame are everywhere, bonfires as far as the eye can see. An endless inferno as Zaaman Rul stands at your side. "You are concerned about the efreet?"
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"Full disclosure, I'm not. I've yet to actually hear something that changed my mind, but Amaryl wishes to make sure the coup I'm sensing won't have things take a turn for the worse. Do you know more?"

Anastasia

Zaaman Rul shakes his head. "The efreet are growingly restless and there's quiet resistance against Akil bin Faheem," he begins, looking out over the firescape. "Many quarters feel he's nothing more than a Baatorian dog. There's been whispers of rebellion, of a restoration of efreet society from this disgrace. It's come up virtually everywhere at once."

"That's not normal," Amaryl points out, "Things grow, spread, these things take time."

<Afina> Forever.