News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Phoenix

Started by Anastasia, April 30, 2021, 02:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

"Seira!"

Even after all these years sometimes it hits Seira. Sometimes Kascha's voice takes her back, to the Lost Eastlands and the ruin. To where she heard Kascha's voice for the first time, recorded ages ago and preserved in the ruins of a dead civilization. To when the Destroyer roamed and slaughtered any who sought to survive in that dead land.

Kascha runs up to you, carrying a load of books in her arms as you look up from the letter. A simple missive from Garl Glittergold, pleasant if not dreadfully important. More of a casual discussion of matters on Bytopia. With a thump Kascha drops those books on your desk as Elle follows, her own load of books carried and with several stacks of them following behind her of their own volition. Indeed, hundreds of books have sprouted legs and feet, a march of the written word that ends atop your desk. Towers of books so high that it blocks a direct view to either of them.

"There you are," Kascha declares, "Don't mind these, I found so many interesting books in what we took from Imix, I thought you'd appreciate copies of the interesting ones to read at  your leisure. That's not why I'm here."

Elle waves a hand, the books splitting apart to give you a crack to see them through. "I'm along for the ride," Elle says, "Who says no to a phoenix on a mission of scholarly learning?"

"Shush," Kascha blushes warmly at that, "I wanted to talk to you about things, Seira, particularly 666. Do you have some time right now?"

Elle, behind Kascha, mouths, 'Say yes' slowly and obviously several times. 'Please say yes!'

Going on from there, Kascha continues, "I hope so, because there's so many interesting things going on right now!"

This particular bit of referenced loot is just background, to be clear. Interesting for sure but not mechanically relevant. In other words, nothing to worry yourself over in that regard.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

"Sure, Elle and I've got the time. Get comfortable~" Seira responds, providing the pair with comfortable armchairs. Vayley, being a competent maid that anticipates her mistress's desires will surely provide refreshments at the right moment, too!
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

The two do so. Once ensconced and comfortable, Vayley brings refreshments.

"But oh," Kascha goes on once Vayley's gone. "I heard Alicia and Antenora went to 666. Have you heard yet, Seira?"

Meanwhile Elle just focuses on her drink.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"Yes, though not the details. I've been trying to focus on Fire."

Anastasia

"Oh! Yes!" Kascha clasps her hands together, "I just talked to a friend on Fire. I hear Imix has pulled back almost all of his agents and is focused inward. There's thoughts it may be a purge, and if he thinks someone betrayed him to allow you to sneak in?"

"Better them than us," Elle retorts, "Imix is weakened and distracted now. I doubt he'll have any role in the upcoming nastiness with the Grand Sultan. If he wants to go hunting for a mole, let him cannibalize his own forces."

"Oh yes, though I also heard efreets in Imix's service have been fleeing back to the City of Brass, but that's from before we even attacked Imix. Oh, but we're getting off on a tangent."

The way Kascha pauses, a deliberately thoughtful look on her face? It's beautiful and simple, unguarded completely. "But there is one aspect I want to know. However has the Crimson Firebrand gotten strong enough to challenge Kossuth himself?"

"Donald and I figured that part out," Elle explains, "From what we know, it has to be the Incarnation of Law." She waves a hand casually, "But again, it's a side show to your point, isn't it?"

This gets Kascha to blush, "Well yes," she admits, "But it's interesting! No one's every seriously challenged one of the elemental lords before. Kossuth treats him like a threat rather than something to be brushed aside." Kascha pulls out her book and starts to write, "If he's strong enough to oppose Kossuth directly, he has to be a mighty opponent. He'll surely draw people to his side, people who want to be allied with that great strength."

"More importantly," Elle speaks up, "We've gotten reports about how efreet fight when when's in the general area. As in miles." Elle states primly, "Well, Donald has but he hasn't put it all together yet. Any efreet gains impossible strength around him and becomes fast as a gale. I have a report that a reliable source says a single, normal efreet in that state could overcome a pit fiend or throne archon in melee combat."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"That's respectable," Seira admits, although if they were to face her it really wouldn't matter. Miles of pit fiends are just fodder, after all. "I'm honestly wondering why, though. Why now could be answered by sensing an opportunity, or even due to some ancient prophecy. But unless he's part of Shar's faction, why focus on Kossuth rather than on her?"

Anastasia

"I'd say he wants to get his house in order," Elle speculates, "With all of Fire in his grasp, he'd have far more weapons to use against Shar. The fact that Asmodeus supports him tells us that he's not for Shar. A Fire united under the Crimson Firebrand not only provides a powerful weapon against Shar, but it will benefit Hell for eons afterwards. Perhaps eternally."

"Therefore," Elle pauses to drink before going on, a smug smile on her face, "We have to beat him so that Kossuth can wield a united Fire against Shar when the time is right. But either way, the main goal is achieved, it's only a question of which side of law triumphs. It wouldn't be the first time those two worked that sort of angle. Even if one loses, the cause of Law itself and Creation's survival still wins."

"Maybe?" Kascha's quietly thoughtful, scribbling away, "A Kossuth who wins will not only be unquestioned, but even more dominant over Fire than usual. If he tells the entire plane to march, they'll march. Same with a new overlord if the Crimson Firebrand wins. If this was going to erupt before the end, perhaps they're manipulating it so that no matter how it goes, it won't impede their true goal?"

Then Kascha's eyes cross and she shakes her head, "Ah! Oh Seira, I start to do plots like this these days now, and it's still so complicated. Layers and layers of motivations. Compared to this, even 666 seems simple and concise! Oh, but speaking of that, I wanted to invite Antenora to join us since she went there and we can learn about it from her."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"You know she's always welcome!"

Anastasia

It's not long for Antenora to arrive. She wears opal radiance in the same way Syala wears light. Once she enters, "Can I ask your opinions on this?" she says, "I've thought of copying Syala's look for the occasional avatar appearance to show unity within Sylica as well as harmony. Does it work for me?"

Elle regards her seriously, standing up and walking around her. "You look like a giant blue star from the night sky."

Kascha giggles at that, "I don't know, I like it. There's something elegant about it, in the same way I feel elegant and simple when I'm in phoenix form and wreathed in fire. It's not like they make dresses for phoenixes. I think it works for you."

With a tsk, "Stick to the armor and stern glares. You're not half the Sharessian to pull off that look. More, opal blue has such a different impact and color profile than white. That sort of blue is so strong, it dominates everything."

"It's not so bad, though," Kascha smiles, "I've gone through hundreds of outfits and looks to try and find good ones for my avatar. It's fun. It's so hard to find the right one that isn't wrong in some way."

Antenora takes a seat at that, "Then Seira, what do you think?"
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"I think we should wear clothes outside of special circumstances," Seira admits, before smiling herself. "Nice to have you over! Have you seen my new sword?"

She draws Razalim and presents it before Antenora, to better serve a distraction from that topic.

Anastasia

Antenora shifts, clad in her armor in an instant. "It's beautiful," she says, looking over the weapon, "I've heard the legends about it. How does it handle in battle, Seira?"
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"It consumes all my enemies," Seira tells her. "That is the entire concept behind the blade, and apparently its previous owners allowed themselves to be consumed by it as well. Ah, as an aside, it's really effective against Fire natives! Even Imix was surprised!"

Anastasia

"Dangerous then," Antenora concludes, "Like a fire that burns everything it touches for fuel?"

There's a pause of a moment before, "You actually got that from what Seira said?" Elle asks, incredulously. "She only mentioned enemies."

"What fire touches fuel but doesn't consume it?" Antenora asks back, "It's well known the blade is cursed and look at what happens to its owners." As she stays close to the sword, inspecting it, "That's exactly why it's effective against Fire, I imagine."

Elle's expression is one of irritated discontent, but Kascha steps forward and smiles, "Well, I don't think you're wrong."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"It's not really cursed, it's just strong-willed and mono-focused. You've probably seen your share of people like that, but this is a sword that thinks like that!"

Anastasia

"Well, wield it carefully," Antenora says, before, "But you wanted to ask me about 666?"

"Oh! Yes, we did," Kascha gets her book ready, "I have some questions of course. Do you, Seira?"
<Afina> Forever.